Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Have I started right for GMAT? [#permalink]
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply.

I will take your advice and will do the diagnostic test this weekend when I can allot a continuous 3.5 hours to finish everything. I will share the scores once I have done it. May be after that you experts will be in a better position to guide me on what material to purchase and how to proceed with study plan.

On this note, do I need to get a intro to AWA and IR as well before writing the Practice CAT test. Because I haven’t seen the type of question in these sections at all.

Answering your questions. I can comfortably allot a time of 15 to 20 hours per week in any week throughout three months period.

Thanks a lot.
Vignesh.

Posted from my mobile device
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi vigneshnus,

You must take the diagnostic to understand the amount and kind of practice you need to do. In the meanwhile I would like to invite you to the free GMAT Strategy webinar that we are conducting this weekend. In this webinar you will learn how to create a personalized study plan to reach your target score by focusing on only those aspects that need to be worked upon. Register here to reserve your spot. On registering for the session you will also get access to 25+ video lessons and 300+ practice questions.

Regards,
Aditee
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi vigneshnus,

You shouldn't worry about your knowledge of the Essay and IR sections yet; just do your best as you work through those sections.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
As per your request, I will write a diagnostic full length CAT test and update the scores here for your feedback.

Aditi,
I will try to attend the webinar this weekend.

Rich,
Sure will give my best in AWA and IR.

Thanks, Vignesh.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22051 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Vignesh,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Looking at your study routine, I see that you are following a plan that I call “practice first and figure out the rest later.” In other words, you are doing practice problems before understanding the concepts on which those problems are based, and thus you are trying to learn solely from reading solutions to problems. Following such a study plan will lead to disorganized studying and ultimately hold you back from improving your quant and verbal skills. Thus, in addition to using your current resources, you may consider using a resource that allows you FIRST to learn the concepts and strategies related to GMAT quant and verbal and SECOND to practice with a large number of realistic questions.

If you decide to use some new prep materials, check out the reviews here on GMAT Club of the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Experts,

I have written the GMAT diagnostic test using the Free Test #1 from GMAT Official website.
The main difficulty I faced was with timing as I have more than 8 questions each in Quant and Verbal remained when time had already reached 2 mins. So guessed answers for 7 of them with all being wrong in Quant and 5 being wrong in Verbal and one question left out in each section.

Here are my scores:
IR
Scaled Score: 7
Percentile: 82

Verbal (Most mistakes in RC)
Scaled Score: 33
Percentile: 69

Quantitative (All mistakes in DS and guessed questions)
Scaled Score: 49
Percentile: 75

TOTAL 670 with 81 Percentile.

MY TARGET SCORE IS 700 +.

Could you please help me with further plans and study materials to reach my goal and a better time management.
As of now I have completed all practice questions in OG 2016.

Thanks in advance.
Vignesh.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi vigneshnus,

I responded to your other thread with the following message. For the sake of simplicity, you should probably focus on just one of the threads - and keep all of the discussion in that one thread.
-------------

Assuming that you took this first practice CAT in a realistic fashion, this 670 is a fantastic initial CAT Score (the average Score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 each year). From what you describe, you have worked through lots of practice questions, but it is not clear how you approach prompts in the Verbal section.

1) What 'steps' do you go through when dealing with a typical RC, SC or CR prompt?
2) how many hours do you think you could consistently study each week?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

First of all, I will stick with this thread itself to avoid confusion.

Yes this is my first CAT full length test and I took it so studiously on one sit without any interruptions.

Yes I worked through practice questions and reviewed them once.

1) For RC, I will read thru passage once slowly to understand the content and mostly topics like history, business and arts make me read the passage twice. Then I will proceed with answering questions. If needed, I ll look through the particular section of passage to get correct choice. Most probably I will get the answer right for question asking about central idea of passage. But all others not always right. Arts and history are my highest difficulty passages.

2) For SC, 90% of time I use elimination process. I ll find mistakes in answer choices and then will shortlist the mistakeless ones. And most of the time, I ll end up with two choices to choose from, which seem to me like right. I m good at finding parallelism errors but very bad at grammatical and rhetorical construction errors.

3) For CR, the questions I find extreme difficulty is when none of the answer choices seems right. I couldn’t go deep into passage, interpreting the hidden meaning. Timing is another thing as I will read the passage once and go thru choices one by one understanding it.

4) I can commit atleast 15 to 20 hours a week for studies. Daily minimum an hour and weekends minimum of 6 hours.

Really worried about completing entire questions on time as I experienced the real stress that time gave me while taking the test mainly in quants DS questions.

Please let me know if I haven’t answered your questions completely.

Thanks in advance.

Vignesh.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi vigneshnus,

Since you're not facing any immediate deadlines, you can proceed with your studies however you like. If you want to be efficient going forward, then you might find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). That having been said, you appear to already be scoring at your 'Goal level', so you might just be fine continuing to study as you have been. From what you describe, since you had to guess on so many questions at the end of each section, there are clearly some 'inefficiencies' in terms of how you approach the Quant and Verbal sections. It's unclear how 'lucky' you may have gotten on this CAT, nor how those issues might improve over time as you continue to study. As such, I suggest that you continue studying as you choose, then take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) in about 2 weeks. With that data, we'll have a better idea of your current skills and how effective your current way of studying is.

Rich
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi vigneshnus,

670 is a great score to begin with! Your score suggests that there are specific gaps which need to be plugged. An efficient way to do that is to identify the topics in which you are relatively weak and work on those. You can take Ability Quizzes (Verbal Ability Quiz | Quant Abiltiy Quiz) in Scholaranium Free Trial to do so and then improve upon the weaknesses through your existing resources or e-GMAT Free Trial files.

Hope this helps! Please feel free to write to us at support@e-gmat.com for any queries regarding GMAT.

Regards,
Aditee
GMAT Club Bot