Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GRE 1: Q169 V157
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Profile Review: GMAT 660 (Q49/V31/IR8) and suggestions on schools [#permalink]
Bookmarks
zerotoone wrote:
Hi Team,

I need your help with a broad level profile evaluation and suggestions on the schools that I can apply to.

I gave GMAT in August, got a score of 660 (Q49/V31/IR8) which I cancelled. Looking to improve verbal and cross 700, I gave another attempt today and the score lowered to 640 (Q46/V33/IR4), cancelled! I was suffering from fever today and things started to shake after completing verbal and moving to quant.

I am thinking of reinstating the 660 score and try my luck to apply to b-schools in round 2 and 3 for classes starting in 2019.

I have 48 months of professional work experience and over 6 months of entrepreneurship experience (own tech startup).

My professional work experience spans - 36 months in investment research, deal origination at a tech startup with Venture Capital, Private Equity and Corporate Development clients; 12 months as an investment associate in a social impact fund with a broader role in a development sector project funded by USAID.

My startup experience includes forming a team of 3 and working on a mobile application. We took a failed exit due to lack of funds (failure to raise capital) and lack of experienced technology professional who could help us noobs scale our product.

In between, I have a 12 month break where I was involved in family farming operations.

My acads: Combined Bachelors in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and MSc. in Physics from BITS, Pilani (a reputed institute of eminence in India) with a CGPA of 6.61/10

My school grades: Xth (88.8 percent / distinction) and XIIth (80 percent / distinction)

I am looking to get an MBA to grow laterally in the Venture Capital space and further pursue my entrepreneurial interests as an entrepreneur VC or angel investor in future.

My schools of preference are ISB, Hyderabad | Cornell Johnson | INSEAD | HEC | NUS

I would be extremely grateful to you for your kind assistance in helping me understand if I could meet the requirements to get interviews from schools of preference or suggest some other schools which would be useful to my career interest.

Hello zerotoone

You have great schools on your list.

Here are cold facts, regarding average GMAT scores :

ISB has average GMAT score of 711

National Univ of Singapore (NUS) has 672

The rest of Asia and Pacific business schools GMAT averages can be found here, in case you decide to add some more to your list :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-in-asia- ... 84064.html

Cornell has average GMAT of 700 and Median of 710

INSEAD has 711 for GMAT average, but Range is 600—780

HEC Paris has 691 for GMAT average

The rest of best European business schools, with relevant stats can be found here :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-in-europ ... 82899.html

In case you decide to target Canada also, you will find pertinent info here :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-in-canad ... 81966.html

All in all, for now you have best chance at NUS and HEC and I urge you to check other schools on list, that I provided you with.

Good Luck with selection and application ! :cool:
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Profile Review: GMAT 660 (Q49/V31/IR8) and suggestions on schools [#permalink]
Expert Reply
zerotoone wrote:
Hi Team,

I need your help with a broad level profile evaluation and suggestions on the schools that I can apply to.

I gave GMAT in August, got a score of 660 (Q49/V31/IR8) which I cancelled. Looking to improve verbal and cross 700, I gave another attempt today and the score lowered to 640 (Q46/V33/IR4), cancelled! I was suffering from fever today and things started to shake after completing verbal and moving to quant.

I am thinking of reinstating the 660 score and try my luck to apply to b-schools in round 2 and 3 for classes starting in 2019.

I have 48 months of professional work experience and over 6 months of entrepreneurship experience (own tech startup).

My professional work experience spans - 36 months in investment research, deal origination at a tech startup with Venture Capital, Private Equity and Corporate Development clients; 12 months as an investment associate in a social impact fund with a broader role in a development sector project funded by USAID.

My startup experience includes forming a team of 3 and working on a mobile application. We took a failed exit due to lack of funds (failure to raise capital) and lack of experienced technology professional who could help us noobs scale our product.

In between, I have a 12 month break where I was involved in family farming operations.

My acads: Combined Bachelors in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and MSc. in Physics from BITS, Pilani (a reputed institute of eminence in India) with a CGPA of 6.61/10

My school grades: Xth (88.8 percent / distinction) and XIIth (80 percent / distinction)

I am looking to get an MBA to grow laterally in the Venture Capital space and further pursue my entrepreneurial interests as an entrepreneur VC or angel investor in future.

My schools of preference are ISB, Hyderabad | Cornell Johnson | INSEAD | HEC | NUS

I would be extremely grateful to you for your kind assistance in helping me understand if I could meet the requirements to get interviews from schools of preference or suggest some other schools which would be useful to my career interest.

Hello zerotoone,

Thanks for your query.

While the start-up experience sounds like a value add, the fact of the matter is that your low CGPA, as well your GMAT score, fall short of the expectations that each of the schools listed by you would have. Moreover, barring ISB, your chances of admission will be significantly lower in the later rounds.

Hence, should you wish to target the same schools, we recommend that you re-take the GMAT and apply next year!

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot