Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Fortuna Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Send PM
Re: Ask Fortuna Admissions [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
prvarm24,

Thank you for your inquiry. Sounds like you've had a great career with strong accomplishments/career progression in your field. It indeed helps if you've won awards so that is something to highlight in your form.

Coming from the Indian applicant pool, you definitely want to aim for a high gmat score, well above the 700 range.

As for R3 for US schools, I would advise against it, especially coming from your competitive applicant pool. I would suggest to hold off to R1 for the next rounds. R3 is VERY difficult to get into as most spots are filled.

Good luck
Melissa
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
U5UWZLP5,

Hi there and thanks for reaching out.
Wow sounds like you have a very cool profile and is quite unique for business school - which for sure would make you stand out and contribute to the diversity each school is looking for. Sorry to hear about Kellogg but that's great news about being Yale - I know it's not exactly the result you are looking for but I wouldn't give up hope yet as they clearly like your profile.
Here are a few things I would suggest (and unfortunately the schools will not provide you with feedback):
• Confirm to the school that you accept a spot on the waitlist, and reiterate your commitment to the school. Make this communication in a positive tone; don’t let the disappointment (or worse, any resentment) shine through. The word ‘disappointed’ should not show up in this discussion.
• I would follow up with your interviewer and send them an update on your situation and ask them for any feedback and suggestions. While they may not be able to tell you why (and they may well not know) they can share with you some insights about your discussion and their sense of your fit with the school.
• What can you do to strengthen your profile? Can you seek a project at work that will give you a good story to tell in an update to admissions? Can you strengthen any extra curricular engagement? Can you get an additional letter of support? What works well is if it’s from a member of the school community – a student or alum. Do you have a close connection with anyone? If not, perhaps someone that can write from a totally different angle than your 2 main recommenders. That can speak to other qualities. A one page email would be sufficient. But don’t be tempted to inundate the admissions office with additional letters (as this can backfire and get you a reputation of a burden). There is also no point in sending in additional letters saying more or less exactly what has already been said about you.
• Keep in touch with the school and your admissions contact (but not too often eg once per month is enough). Keep the school updated re any new info about your profile- new results, work abroad, managing others, extra curriculars at work, etc.
• Don’t make all these communications email only; try to speak to your admissions contact occasionally as well. Personal touches help to keep you on their radar.
• It may not be so convenient but what about visiting the campus again? This could help and show commitment to the school. Plus you could even have this conversation with your admissions contact in person.
• On the flip side, please start to think about next steps – what is your plan B if this doesn’t work out? So yes I would apply to georgetown and ND as they would be great fits for you. And yes if you can hold off, I would wait until R1 if Yale is your number one. It could be quite a while until they tell you if you are accepted/denied from waitlist.

One thing Fortuna can offer is a review of your previous application to see where things might have 'gone wrong' Click here for some details. https://fortunaadmissions.com/services/ You will see a 'waitlist' and 'rejected applicant' strategy service.

Sounds like you have a lot of questions but overall your profile seems to fit the criteria for all the schools - great work experience/leadership exp, lots of extra curricular/volunteering commitments, an amazing GMAT with strong GPA. But if you want to talk with us in more depth to go over your profile, I would sign up here and email us requesting to speak with Matt on our team - he's awesome at these consultations. https://fortunaadmissions.com/free-consultation/

Good luck with everything
Melissa
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Send PM
Ask Fortuna Admissions [#permalink]
Thanks Ask Fortuna Admissions Hey what about lbs round 3 . And if I do apply to lbs are there possibilities for scholarship.

also do u think I should take up the start up finance role or the midmarket I banking role

What is better from lbs and insead perspective.....

Also to add I have started volunteering with a social impact start up which makes pseudo-laptops for blind which enables them to read / surf the internet in a braille format. Learning to use the machine takes 2-3 days for any individual and I help in the learning and creating awareness for the same. (reason for me to do this is that I am high myopic and am sensitive to this cause)

quote="FortunaAdmissionsMJ"]prvarm24,

Thank you for your inquiry. Sounds like you've had a great career with strong accomplishments/career progression in your field. It indeed helps if you've won awards so that is something to highlight in your form.

Coming from the Indian applicant pool, you definitely want to aim for a high gmat score, well above the 700 range.

As for R3 for US schools, I would advise against it, especially coming from your competitive applicant pool. I would suggest to hold off to R1 for the next rounds. R3 is VERY difficult to get into as most spots are filled.

Good luck
Melissa[/quote]

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Expert Reply
prvarm24,

R3 is totally fine for LBS and INSEAD - though you will have less opps for scholarships (some will be taken by R3 but not all). In terms of career, both follow a similar path so it really comes down to what you really want! I wouldn't take it based on what the MBA wants to hear but what you really want to do.

Hope that helps
Melissa
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed response! I will certainly inform Yale of my plans to enroll in the HBX Core program. I know that these courses will also help strengthen my profile for the upcoming year. Have a wonderful holiday season!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

I am having trouble choosing between Cornell MBA and HEC Paris ( Jan intake)
My post MBA goal is to work in the consulting space.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance in helping me decide

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Hi Fortuna Admissions,

I would love some guidance with admission to the following schools for a full-time MBA from this year, arranged according to preference:

Oxford Said
Cambridge Judge
Imperial Business School
Cornell Johnson

If there is any other highly ranked school you think would be a good fit for me, please feel free to suggest.

I am sending a snapshot of my profile below:

GRE General Test: 328/340 on the GRE. Subscores are 169/170 in Verbal (top 1%), 159/170 in Quant. 4.5/6 in AWA
TOEFL: 113/120

Post-MBA goals:
1) Work as a leader for the CSR wing of impactful, socially responsible organizations
2) Establish my own social venture/s, preferably in health and education
3) Make use of my experience in telecommunications and IT management to attain the aforementioned goals
4) Not be constrained by borders with the recognition from a top business school, and use the alumni network to attain the aforementioned goals, i.e. lending credibility and connections that would help me spearhead CSR initiatives and grow my own social ventures

My current city is Dhaka, Bangladesh, where I hail from. My post-MBA locations are preferably in my country, Bangladesh, where CSR is still in a nascent stage and there is much need for social initiatives, and in MENA, a region which I am greatly interested in.

Work experience:
- 4.5 years+ at present, with 2 years of Managerial role for Product and Analytics Marketing in the 11th largest Telecommunications MNC in the world
- 1 direct report, headed multiple CFTs
- Multiple work recognition and awards (such as the Marketing Pride of 2018 Q2, and again Marketing Pride of 2019 Q1)
- Successful completion of 1-month international assignment and placement in HQ
- Former Management Trainee with fast track progression to Managerial role
- Project Manager for the first corporate merger in Bangladesh
- Product Manager for Facebook's Freebasics program in Bangladesh

Special Work experience:
- Beside my primary job, I also work as a Digital Engagement Advisor at a nonprofit organization that primary works on empowering Bangladeshi rural medical practitioners. The organization was cofounded by an Oxford Said MBA graduate and a Harvard Kennedy graduate. I am responsible for advising the project unit on digital engagement interventions. I have been with the organization for 2 months, as of now

Undergrad:
Institute of Business Administration (IBA), University of Dhaka (DU)
(IBA, DU is the most renowned and the most competitive business school in Bangladesh)

CGPA of 3.13/4
Major: Finance
Minor: Marketing

Professional association:
Associate, Chartered Institute of Marketing, UK

ECAs:
-Multiple international and national awards in social entrepreneurship business competitions
-Was featured at the front page and special panel in the national newspaper of my country, as the winner of an international business competition where my team beat teams from top universities such as MIT
-Winner of Global Health Prize in the Global Social Entrepreneurship Competition (GSEC) of 2013, hosted by Foster School of Business, University of Washington
-Winner of Social Entrepreneurship Competition awarded by Nobel Laureate Muhammad Yunus
-Coordination of nationwide charity drives, with a team of +100 people indirectly/directly reporting
-Wrote business articles for the most circulated business magazine of Bangladesh
-Was awarded national merit prizes for academic excellence in O and A levels
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
Hi Fortuna Admissions,

I am an spanish entrepreneur, CFA charterholder, 8 years xp (3 as entrepreneur), preparing application for LBS/CBS EMBA Global Americas & Europe. I’ve visited LBS and an info session and is the only programme I am applying for.

I have a doubt on how to focus the #2 Essay question: "Please describe a professional situation where you faced a particular challenge. What was the outcome and what did you learn from the experience about your own strengths and personal development needs?"

I am still unsure on what challenge to choose. In my case the safe option is to choose a recent relevant challenge from my experience as an entrepreneur. But if I have to think of a challenge that truly changed me as a professional and marked my character I would choose a very early career, not really relevant in any way, challenge in which I failed, but that helped me build my professional character and discover a mayor weakness.

My doubts come from the fact that the early-career experience wasn't really much of a challenge, newbie stuff, and there wasn't much stakes in it, but it had a profound impact on me.

Because the Global A&E is all about, lets say, experienced global leaders, I have my doubts on whether such an early, non-relevant challenge might be seen as a weak essay vs other, lets say, senior challenges.

And, now that I am asking, how valuable is a cfa for lbs/cbs adcoms and how valuable is entrepreneurship? Also, I took the gmat 4 times, 1st ok, then 2 cancels, then 4th ok. In the app they ask how many times one has sat and I will tell them the truth even thought 2 are cancel. Will 4 sittings look bad?

And final quick question! I had an informal coffee with an admissions employee and later asked for her opinion on my profile for the emba, and she wrote back saying that “Your profile is strong and aligned to the EMBA Global programme”. Do they typically say that to everyone, and is it any indication of application success?

Thanks in advance for any answer!!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Naseef,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your profile. Your profile sounds terrific and competitive for the schools you are interested in and listed above. Your gre (which converts to about 690 gmat) is great for these schools; you've got some wonderful career highlights + experience not to mention some really interesting awards. I would definitely encourage you to apply!

Are you trying to focus on a European school though? I see just one is in the US and was wondering how you made that selection. I wouldn't apply to more than 5 or 6 (4 is a good number).

If you'd like some help with specific selection and want to set up a free in-depth consultation, a Fortuna team member would be happy to chat with you. We can also really help you build a compelling application that could set you apart from your competitors and weave in your stories/strenghts that we feel ad coms will want to hear. Let us know if we can help!

Best,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi LGIX,

Great question and you are on the right track. You definitely want to focus your challenge on something more recent as you mentioned, the program is for experienced professionals/leaders/managers and they are looking in your app for these qualities. And yes the school loves entrepreneurs so using the example you are speaking to sounds like a good one. And yes CFA will help if your gmat is on the lower side. If you cancelled a score you don't have to mention it so could just say 2 times. Not to worry anyways about writing it 4 times. This is quite common!

Sorry to hear their answer was a little vague. You could try calling someone in the admissions office to set up a time to discuss your CV. Or if you know an alum/student you could ask them as well. Another option is to contact us to set up a free consultation and we would be able to better gauge based on your CV, etc. But I'm sure if she didn't think you fit the criteria she probably would have mentioned that you are missing x y or z. As long as you show leadership qualities (through examples), demonstrate career progressions/accomplishments, have int'l experience and mindset, well rounded academics (undergrad balanced with gmat and cfa) and can speak to some extra curriculars/hobbies/volunteering, then you will cover the general criteria. Let us know if we can be of service.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
FortunaAdmissionsMJ wrote:
Hi LGIX,

Great question and you are on the right track. You definitely want to focus your challenge on something more recent as you mentioned, the program is for experienced professionals/leaders/managers and they are looking in your app for these qualities. And yes the school loves entrepreneurs so using the example you are speaking to sounds like a good one. And yes CFA will help if your gmat is on the lower side. If you cancelled a score you don't have to mention it so could just say 2 times. Not to worry anyways about writing it 4 times. This is quite common!

Sorry to hear their answer was a little vague. You could try calling someone in the admissions office to set up a time to discuss your CV. Or if you know an alum/student you could ask them as well. Another option is to contact us to set up a free consultation and we would be able to better gauge based on your CV, etc. But I'm sure if she didn't think you fit the criteria she probably would have mentioned that you are missing x y or z. As long as you show leadership qualities (through examples), demonstrate career progressions/accomplishments, have int'l experience and mindset, well rounded academics (undergrad balanced with gmat and cfa) and can speak to some extra curriculars/hobbies/volunteering, then you will cover the general criteria. Let us know if we can be of service.

Good luck!

Hi FortunaAdmissionsMJ

Thank you very much for the feedback and the quick response, I will probably take your offer of a free consultation.

About the gmat, my score is a 710 (Q48 V39 IR8 AWA5).

And as for contacting an admissions person, I did have an informal coffee with someone from the admissions of the EMBA (not the Global EMBA but she seemed to know everything about the Global programme) and we commented my profile, she liked my profile, and she made different comments on how to portrait several things in my application if I were to apply (as I am finally going to) but she didn't have my CV before that coffee, so i sent it to her and she wrote back. The full email she wrote was longer, and contained the sentence "Your profile is strong and aligned to the EMBA Global programme. I would strongly recommend you to submit your application." I was just wondering if such a statement ment something or was just common.

Don't know if any of this 2 things changes your comments in any way.

Thanks in advance!!
Send PM
Expert Reply
LGIX,

Good to hear there were more details exchanged. It's not a standard response as I'm sure if there was a red flag she would have mentioned it. So I think there is nothing to fear!
And gmat is terrific, particularly for the EMBA. I haven't seen your full profile but sounds like you fit a lot of the criteria. The only weakness potentially is only having 8 years of experience. It's kind of in the middle of an MBA and EMBA so you'd really have to show how you are a strong leader and showcase strong results.

Here is the link to sign up if you want to chat with one of us. We have lots of people on our team that have worked for LBS so they will have good insights on your profile.

https://fortunaadmissions.com/free-consultation/

Best,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM