Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [50]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [13]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [9]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [5]
Given Kudos: 105
GPA: 3.64
WE:Management Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm the work of William Faulkner [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,, remains among the most revered in the American literary canon.

Meaning: Work of WF (comprised of some stories and blockbusters) lacked enthusiasm, but remains respected in literature.
The sentence displays a bunch of modifiers which need to be reviewed before jump into the answer choices.
First, the sentence clearly and neatly mentions that this is work of WF which lacks enthusiasm (an uncountable noun).
Second, "comprised of a series... and a number of...." undoubtedly modifies the work, although it is not immediately before the comma. Notice that "of WF" is a prepositional phrase that can not be written anywhere else in this structure.
Third, the whole "overpoweringly complicated novels" phrase is a simple verb-ed modifier which gives extra info about the blockbusters.
and eventually only after these long modifiers we see the main verb, remains, which is non-underlined. so what was the subject? let's look back and get rid of all those modifiers:
Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels, remains
That's great. so let's go over the answer choices:

A) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels, Correct as stated above

B) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasms, the works of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbusters, overpoweringly complicated novels, Two things to consider, 1."enthusiasm" is uncountable! & 2.Sobject-verb agreement error: works (plural) don't match remains (singular)

C) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the works of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels, subject-verb agreement error as choice B.

D) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasms, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbusters, overpoweringly complicated novels, "enthusiasm" is uncountable!

E) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the works of William Faulkner are comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels, subject-verb agreement error as choice B.
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm the work of William Faulkner [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,, remains among the most revered in the American literary canon.

A) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,

B) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasms, the works of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbusters, overpoweringly complicated novels,

C) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the works of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,

D) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasms, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbusters, overpoweringly complicated novels,

E) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the works of William Faulkner are comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,

IMO A

Generally works is used in the sense of construction, and Since we are talking about a writer, I removed B, C and E.

Out of A and D
lack of enthusiasms vs lack of enthusiasm, I will go with the latter, Because after the underlined portion there is a plural noun remains and we need a plural verb.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [1]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Explanations do not merely assert that "X violates the _____ rule." Explanations do not consist merely of highlighting words. Explain why the words are highlighted if you highlight.

fair enough :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
I think its A. Cannot be enthusiasm"s" and shouldnt be "works", should be work.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Kudos

A) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,( Correct )

B) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasms, the works of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbusters, overpoweringly complicated novels,( the works is incorrect, does not go with singular verb)

C) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the works of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,( same issue of subject verb mismatch )

D) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasms, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbusters, overpoweringly complicated novels,(a number of blockbuster would have been correct)

E) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the works of William Faulkner are comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,( no subject for verb remains)

Will go with option A

Thanks

Originally posted by sonusaini1 on 14 Jan 2019, 10:51.
Last edited by sonusaini1 on 22 Jan 2019, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
GKomoku wrote:
generis wrote:

Explanations do not merely assert that "X violates the _____ rule." Explanations do not consist merely of highlighting words. Explain why the words are highlighted if you highlight.

fair enough :thumbup:

:lol: :lol: GKomoku , this comment is hilarious in context.

In your case (and others'), I can imagine the hilarious brainiac expert GMATNinja, who's good like that, writing,

"Um, generis, preach to the choir, much?"

Thanks for the laugh.

** Collins Dictionary online explains that
If you say that someone is preaching to the choir, you mean that [she or he is] presenting an opinion to people who already agree with it.
That you are the one who caught and noted my comment is ironically perfect.
Intern
Intern
Status:No matter how bad it is or how bad it gets: I am going to make it.
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Kudos

A) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,

B) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasms, the works of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbusters, overpoweringly complicated novels,

C) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the works of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,

D) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasms, the work of William Faulkner, comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbusters, overpoweringly complicated novels,

E) Despite some initial lack of enthusiasm, the works of William Faulkner are comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,

The answer should be A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GRE 1: Q170 V160
Send PM
Kudos

B,C,E --> out due to Subject verb agreement issue. The works(plural) and the verb remains(singular)
D - Usage of "enthusiasms" seems stylistically incorrect.

A seems to be the best choice among all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
GPA: 3.35
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos

I agree that "enthusiasm" (A) is correct, and "enthusiasms" (D) is not correct; however, can someone explain to me how "a number of blockbuster" (A) is correct, as this appears to be a plural phrase, requiring "blockbusters".

Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Kudos
Anybody here! please throw light on a number of blockbuster and a number of blockbuster.
Nobody is talking about doesn't mean that both phrases are correct in context of question.
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
iscbruc14 wrote:

I agree that "enthusiasm" (A) is correct, and "enthusiasms" (D) is not correct; however, can someone explain to me how "a number of blockbuster" (A) is correct, as this appears to be a plural phrase, requiring "blockbusters".

Thanks!

iscbruc14 , I just posted the OE in which I address "blockbuster."

The objects of the preposition in comprised OF are . . . . stories and . . . . novels

blockbuster is a noun that acts like an adjective.

English has quite a few. Here are a few examples:
-- race horse
-- gymnastics coach
-- fire hydrant
-- math teacher

blockbuster = bestseller (often a novel or movie)
When used as an adjective, bestseller becomes bestselling

The entire object of the preposition means
a number of [some] bestselling, [very complicated] novels

Let's get rid of the "overpoweringly complicated [very complicated]."
We can say, in English,
a number of blockbuster novels

The construction is not redundant.
A blockbuster novel is a kind or type of novel—a bestselling novel,
just in English we have
a sports car or a race car

If in doubt, (1) see whether the noun could be an adjective; and
(2) remember that the noun acting as an adjective always comes first.

I hope that helps.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
gvij2017 wrote:
Anybody here! please throw light on a number of blockbuster and a number of blockbuster.
Nobody is talking about doesn't mean that both phrases are correct in context of question.

Hi gvij2017 , see the "official explanation," above, which I was writing when you posted, and please see my answer to iscbruc14 just after the official explanation.

If you still have questions, ask again. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Option B,C, and E are clearly out as works and remains do not pass S-V agreement.

In between A and D, there is an issue between 'some initial lack of enthusiasm' and 'some initial lack of enthusiasms'.

I feel A is correct. 'Enthusiasms' is incorrect . 'Enthusiasms' mean many enthusiasms and that is really awkward in context of this sentence.

IMO A.

generis correct me if I am wrong.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:
Option B,C, and E are clearly out as works and remains do not pass S-V agreement.

In between A and D, there is an issue between 'some initial lack of enthusiasm' and 'some initial lack of enthusiasms'.

I feel A is correct. 'Enthusiasms' is incorrect . 'Enthusiasms' mean many enthusiasms and that is really awkward in context of this sentence.

IMO A.

generis correct me if I am wrong.

warrior1991 , yes, definitely awkward.

I have never seen the word enthusiasms in my life. I am a reading fanatic.

I decided that something was finally wrong with that red squiggly thing on the posting screen because it was not squiggling beneath "enthusiasms."

Nope. Nothing wrong with the red squiggly thing.

Enthusiasms is a word. I just found a sentence: Parents should share their enthusiasms with their children.

[Red pen. Rewrite: Parents should share their passions with their children.]

Your instincts are correct. In standard English, enthusiasm is rarely pluralized, and certainly is not pluralized when it used in the sense of group reception or excitement or ardor or zeal. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
generis

Can you please explain this:

comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,,

Are there 3 adjectives at play: blockbuster overpoweringly complicated novels.

Also, shouldn't there be an 'and' between blockbuster and overpoweringly?

After putting 'and', I am sure, It would not make it parallel to the list 'a series of' and ' a number of'.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mudit27021988 wrote:
generis

Can you please explain this:

comprised of a series of elegant short stories and a number of blockbuster, overpoweringly complicated novels,,

Are there 3 adjectives at play: blockbuster overpoweringly complicated novels.

Also, shouldn't there be an 'and' between blockbuster and overpoweringly?

After putting 'and', I am sure, It would not make it parallel to the list 'a series of' and ' a number of'.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Mudit27021988 - No, there are two adjectives at play.
One is a phrase: "overpoweringly complicated"

1) [blockbuster],
[noun-adjective]

2) [overpoweringly-> complicated]
[adverb that modifies adjective -> adjective]

That list is a lot of jargon.

Essentially, if two adjectives in a row are separated by a comma,
that construction is allowed as long as the words and/or phrases are coordinate adjectives.

1) As I describe above, "blockbuster" is a noun that acts like an adjective. Call it a noun-adjective.
There are many such noun-adjectives in English.
Race horse. Corn bread.

2) change "overpoweringly" to "very." Very is an adverb.
Very modifies complicated.

3) very complicated: now we have an adjectivial phrase

• coordinate adjectives: Are blockbuster and very complicated coordinate adjectives?

Coordinate adjectives can be separated by a comma rather than an and.
This article explains.
Coordinate adjectives must be "reversible."

If you can put "and" in between the adjectives and reverse their order,
then you can also omit the and. Use a comma in place of and.
Further, if you do not use "and," you need a comma.

Coordinate adjectives?
. . . .the cold, dark night
. . .the cold and dark night
. . . the dark and cold night
Yes. AND works. We can reverse the adjectives. A comma is necessary.

Coordinate adjectives?
. . . several shy butterflies
. . . several and shy butterflies
. . . shy and several butterflies
No. AND does not work. Nor can we reverse the adjectives. No comma. Not coordinate adjectives.

• check "blockbuster" and "very complicated"
Correct: a number of very complicated and blockbuster [bestselling] novels
Correct: a number of blockbuster and very complicated novels
The adjectives can be separated by AND as well as reversed.
If written without AND, they require a comma.

We have two adjectives separated by a comma.
They are coordinate adjectives. The construction is fine.
I hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
I still did not understand this ->
A number of blockbuster / A number of blockbusters. Per the sentence, only one of them is correct. Which one is that ?
(A number of + plural form) is the structure i have mostly seen.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts