Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:

Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 610 Q48 V25
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2054 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [1]
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
nitesh50 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
nitesh50 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-newly-disc ... 32998.html

IN this question, I have a slight doubt in option B.
When we negate an assumption, the conclusion should completely be destroyed.
We are not looking to weaken the conclusion after negating the option.

The conclusion: The painting must have been completed between 1507 and 1509.

Premise: Coin not minted before 1507
Painting material not used after 1509

Option B: Michelangelo did not work on the painting over the course of several years.

Negated: Michelangelo did work on the painting over the course of several years.
Several years can be from 2 to many years. So can't we say that there is a possibility that the painting may have been completed by 1509. After all 1507 to 1509 (2years is also several years)
I totally agree that the negated statement weakens the conclusion.
But does it break it? I don't think so.

Would love to hear your opinion on this issue.

Thank you !

Regards
Nitesh

Nitesh, technically, several means more than 2. So if he worked for more than 2 years on the painting, "The painting must have been completed between 1507 and 1509." becomes false. He may not have completed between 1507 and 1509.

Note what the negation of "A must be true" is. It is "A may not be true", not "A must be false".
Must shows compulsion. So negation is "no compulsion".

Hi VeritasKarishma

Thank you for the wonderful reply.

"Must shows compulsion. So negation is "no compulsion"
This is the part I cannot understand. What do you mean when you say this statement.
Apologies If I sound stupid, but why did you make make this statement here. I cannot seem to relate it to the questions I asked.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Regards
Nitesh

Ok. Think about it:

I say, "You MUST complete this HW today."
Perhaps, we need to travel from tomorrow and hence I am convinced we won't get time later.

Then, say the plan changes. Now what will I say?
"You don't have to necessarily complete this HW today" (but it is ok if you do, Your choice) or
"You MUST not complete this HW today?"
Is there any reason to compel negatively "you must not do it?". No.

The negation of "must" is "don't have to necessarily" or "no compulsion". This is the point I was making.

Hence, the negative of "The painting must have been completed between 1507 and 1509."
is
He may not have completed between 1507 and 1509. (but he could have)
Tutor
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Gladiator59 wrote:
Dear VeritasKarishma,

Can you please take a look at this one - https://gmatclub.com/forum/moderate-exe ... l#p2202802

It is a find assumption type and I have come to the answer by using the negation technique but discussion on the forum has revealed that the negation technique does not apply to it.

It would be a pleasure to be able to know your thoughts on both the question and my reasoning associated with its understanding.

Thank you :-)

P.S - you had followed up regarding the last question I had tagged to you asking for the source. Sorry for not answering back then,I must have missed it. I am unaware of the source but it looks like the OP himself had framed it. ;-)

Hey Gladi,

Here you go: https://gmatclub.com/forum/moderate-exe ... l#p2203060
Hope it helps.

As for the previous question, I would ignore it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hello VeritasKarishma ma'am,

I have a doubt regarding this question

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-interview ... 28168.html

In option A, the question states that whether the judge's briefing of instructions at end will lead jurors to keep aside the external factors.

As per the question:
Goal: permit jurors to concentrate on the most relevant evidence rather than filling in gaps with their own assumptions, which have little to do with the legality of a case.

Plan: the researchers suggested that judges give instructions to the jury at the beginning of a trial rather than at the end.

Now as to reach a particular goal we already have a plan.

I generally treat such questions as a kind of conditional conclusion question
If plan then goal.

If we substitute our goal and plan here we can't question the plan right? I mean it is conditional part of the conclusion

Option a as per me seems to do that.

I was torn between a and C and chose former as I thought in a conditional question or objective based question we can't question the plan.

Though I agree with the reasoning of C as discussed in the forum.

Please help to understand is there something I am missing with my reasoning?

Thanks in advance!!
Regards,
Rishav

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma

https://gmatclub.com/forum/namaste-stud ... l#p2206326

I was actually stuck on this question for quite some time.
The OA stated is d.
But I feel that the impact of the argument is not clear.

Why?
Weaken: New Yoga students are not aware of the performance standards to expect, and hence they rate her highly. ON the other hand, the old students are aware of the standards required, hence they rate her lowly.
Hence we can say that her performance is actually inconsistent. Her actual rank is 4th.

Strengthen: It adds strength to the conclusion that the performance is inconsistent by adding that the group that rates as 4th best is actually very experienced. So their opinion is valuable. On the other hand, the new members rate as the best because there is a possibility that she is taking good care of them.

I am not fully convinced with D as the OA.
Also Can you provide solid grounds for eliminating option A and Option E.
IMO:
Option A:The students in Angela's Thursday class are more advanced than those in her Tuesday class.

Thursday students rate her fourth best whereas Tuesday students rate her as the best.
This statement gives us a reason for why the performance might be inconsistent.
Hence this is not the right answer.

Option E: Angela tries experimental poses in her Thursday class, but not in her Tuesday class.

I feel Option A and Option E both give reasons for why her class might be inconsistent.

Am I correct in my reasoning for elimination for Option A and Option E.

PS: I am sure you hear it a lot. But anyways, a BIG BIG thank you for your help!!!!!

Regards
Nitesh
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rish2708 wrote:
Hello VeritasKarishma ma'am,

I have a doubt regarding this question

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-interview ... 28168.html

In option A, the question states that whether the judge's briefing of instructions at end will lead jurors to keep aside the external factors.

As per the question:
Goal: permit jurors to concentrate on the most relevant evidence rather than filling in gaps with their own assumptions, which have little to do with the legality of a case.

Plan: the researchers suggested that judges give instructions to the jury at the beginning of a trial rather than at the end.

Now as to reach a particular goal we already have a plan.

I generally treat such questions as a kind of conditional conclusion question
If plan then goal.

If we substitute our goal and plan here we can't question the plan right? I mean it is conditional part of the conclusion

Option a as per me seems to do that.

I was torn between a and C and chose former as I thought in a conditional question or objective based question we can't question the plan.

Though I agree with the reasoning of C as discussed in the forum.

Please help to understand is there something I am missing with my reasoning?

Thanks in advance!!
Regards,
Rishav

Posted from my mobile device

Hey Rishav,

Yes, I agree with you. It is a plan --> goal question.
And questioning whether the same thing can be achieved by another plan is irrelevant.
(A) questions whether the change is required and the regular custom can be maintained.
(C) questions directly whether the change will alter the customary procedures.

I see trouble in both and would be hard pressed to pick one. Though I may bend toward picking (C). Whether the plan is needed at all could be one of the measures of evaluating the plan.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
nitesh50 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

https://gmatclub.com/forum/namaste-stud ... l#p2206326

I was actually stuck on this question for quite some time.
The OA stated is d.
But I feel that the impact of the argument is not clear.

Why?
Weaken: New Yoga students are not aware of the performance standards to expect, and hence they rate her highly. ON the other hand, the old students are aware of the standards required, hence they rate her lowly.
Hence we can say that her performance is actually inconsistent. Her actual rank is 4th.

Strengthen: It adds strength to the conclusion that the performance is inconsistent by adding that the group that rates as 4th best is actually very experienced. So their opinion is valuable. On the other hand, the new members rate as the best because there is a possibility that she is taking good care of them.

I am not fully convinced with D as the OA.
Also Can you provide solid grounds for eliminating option A and Option E.
IMO:
Option A:The students in Angela's Thursday class are more advanced than those in her Tuesday class.

Thursday students rate her fourth best whereas Tuesday students rate her as the best.
This statement gives us a reason for why the performance might be inconsistent.
Hence this is not the right answer.

Option E: Angela tries experimental poses in her Thursday class, but not in her Tuesday class.

I feel Option A and Option E both give reasons for why her class might be inconsistent.

Am I correct in my reasoning for elimination for Option A and Option E.

PS: I am sure you hear it a lot. But anyways, a BIG BIG thank you for your help!!!!!

Regards
Nitesh

Nitesh, it is a question from an unknown source. Too many assumptions and too many angles can be considered. I actually started writing justification for each option and then realised that there are too many if but situations. I almost felt like I am trying to justify the answer because I know it is the answer but other options too could be justified in one way or another.
You should ignore the question.

Official questions always use proper reasoning and hence you will not face this problem in them. Many of the practice questions made by Veritas Prep (and other standard test prep companies, I assume) are based on official questions so often they do a fairly good job too.
Current Student
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma

https://gmatclub.com/forum/following-a- ... 55470.html

This is a veritas prep Question.

I am really confused between option C and Option D.

The conclusion is: Busing campaign caused the increase in the voter registration and participation.

Why can't option C be a correct answer?
If voter turnout before the busing campaign was high, then we say that the busing campaign did not cause an increase in voter turnout.
If voter turnout before the busing campaign was low, then we can say that the busing campaign caused the turnout.

On the other hand Option D does state that the population was same demographically.
Basically, I thought that the other cities cannot provide me information relevant to the conclusion because the conditions at two different places might vary.

Can you please check my reasoning and tell me why option C is incorrect?

Regards
NItesh
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
nitesh50 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

The conclusion is: Busing campaign caused the increase in the voter registration and participation.

If voter turnout before the busing campaign was high, then we say that the busing campaign did not cause an increase in voter turnout.
If voter turnout before the busing campaign was low, then we can say that the busing campaign caused the turnout.

On the other hand Option D does state that the population was same demographically.
Basically, I thought that the other cities cannot provide me information relevant to the conclusion because the conditions at two different places might vary.

Regards
NItesh

Here Nitesh: https://gmatclub.com/forum/following-a- ... l#p2208671
Current Student
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
nitesh50 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

Regards
NItesh

Hi VeritasKarishma

Thank you for your explaination.
From what I have understood:
Since we are comparing SIMILAR precincts, in this question the answer option makes sense.
But then again I found another Veritas Prep question:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-recent-i ... 73300.html

The correct option is C.
This seems more of a paradox type question than a strengthen question(as stated in the solution)
Inspite of the high saving rate and people's reluctance to borrow, the credit card companies will be successful.

(C) Before credit card use was established in the rest of the country’s provinces, those provinces had a rate of discretionary income saving equal to or in excess of the rate currently found in Lijau.
In this case we are comparing one province to another. We are making a major assumption that all the provinces are the same. The option doesnot state that the provinces are the same. Then why is this option correct?
I straightaway eliminated this option because there were no similarities in the provinces of the region.
Then why is this option correct?

Now I went looking for some other questions that use this reasoning:

From 1998 to 2008, the amount of oil exported from the nation of Dettlandia increased by nearly 20% as the world’s demand soared. Yet over the same period, Dettlandia lost over 8,000 jobs in oil drilling and refinement, representing a 25% increase in the nation’s unemployment rate.

B) Several other countries in the region reported similar percentages of jobs lost in the oil industry over the same period.

Answer option B is incorrect. I eliminated this option because the countries in the region and Dettlandia are not similar. Hence we cannot even consider this option for explaination of the paradox.
If they were similar:
Then also IMO it would't explain the paradox. Just because it happened in other countries doesnot explain why it happened in Dettlandia.

(D) Lijau’s wealthiest citizens use credit cards heavily during their trips abroad.
Now this option still seems relevant to me. If from a small group of people, the credit card companies can extract a huge gains, then there are chances that they will be successful.
The only concern I had with the option was the frequency of the trips abroad.

Now both option C and Option D want the reader to make certain assumptions. Many times I get stuck on these type of options.
What Can I do to improve it?
Looking forward to your reply.
Thank you for your time.

Regards
Nitesh
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
nitesh50 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
nitesh50 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

Regards
NItesh

Hi VeritasKarishma

Thank you for your explaination.
From what I have understood:
Since we are comparing SIMILAR precincts, in this question the answer option makes sense.
But then again I found another Veritas Prep question:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-recent-i ... 73300.html

The correct option is C.
This seems more of a paradox type question than a strengthen question(as stated in the solution)
Inspite of the high saving rate and people's reluctance to borrow, the credit card companies will be successful.

(C) Before credit card use was established in the rest of the country’s provinces, those provinces had a rate of discretionary income saving equal to or in excess of the rate currently found in Lijau.
In this case we are comparing one province to another. We are making a major assumption that all the provinces are the same. The option doesnot state that the provinces are the same. Then why is this option correct?
I straightaway eliminated this option because there were no similarities in the provinces of the region.
Then why is this option correct?

Now I went looking for some other questions that use this reasoning:

From 1998 to 2008, the amount of oil exported from the nation of Dettlandia increased by nearly 20% as the world’s demand soared. Yet over the same period, Dettlandia lost over 8,000 jobs in oil drilling and refinement, representing a 25% increase in the nation’s unemployment rate.

B) Several other countries in the region reported similar percentages of jobs lost in the oil industry over the same period.

Answer option B is incorrect. I eliminated this option because the countries in the region and Dettlandia are not similar. Hence we cannot even consider this option for explaination of the paradox.
If they were similar:
Then also IMO it would't explain the paradox. Just because it happened in other countries doesnot explain why it happened in Dettlandia.

(D) Lijau’s wealthiest citizens use credit cards heavily during their trips abroad.
Now this option still seems relevant to me. If from a small group of people, the credit card companies can extract a huge gains, then there are chances that they will be successful.
The only concern I had with the option was the frequency of the trips abroad.

Now both option C and Option D want the reader to make certain assumptions. Many times I get stuck on these type of options.
What Can I do to improve it?
Looking forward to your reply.
Thank you for your time.

Regards
Nitesh

Nitesh, first things first, every argument is different. Every question is different. What may be valid in one may not be valid in another.
"It happened this way in other countries too" may be valid sometimes and may not be valid at other times.

If they were similar:
Then also IMO it would't explain the paradox. Just because it happened in other countries does not explain why it happened in Dettlandia.

The question asks about something that will resolve the paradox. This option does nothing to explain the paradox. Then it is out, no question.

As for the other question you mentioned, here is my explanation on it:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-recent-i ... l#p2209503
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hello Karishma Ma'am,

I have a small query on this question here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-number-o ... l#p2210819

Could you please help with the flaw in my reasoning?

Regards,
Rishav
Current Student
Send PM
HI
VeritasKarishma

Thank you for your earlier replies.

I encountered the following question on gmatclub. Some other forum states that this is a gmatprep question.
I couldn't even understand the argument. Can you please explain the question in detail.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-followin ... 42460.html

Thank you.

Regards
nitesh

Originally posted by nitesh50 on 20 Jan 2019, 05:10.
Last edited by nitesh50 on 20 Jan 2019, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [1]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM