Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [37]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [2]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Like many entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musician [#permalink]
Kudos
whl961210 wrote:
Like many entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders but instead wanted to begin paying into Social Security and building good credit histories.

A. Like many entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders

B. Like many other entertainers, tax evaders and members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be that

C. Members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders like many entertainers

D. Members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be like tax evaders and many other entertainers

E. Like many other entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders

members of an advocacy association of musicians are also entertainers, so when they are compared , they should be compared using other (comparison with other entertainers), hence other plays an important role. Keeping that one change apart the sentence is grammatically correct and follows all rules. E solves that problem
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Re: Like many entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musician [#permalink]
can anyone please post the OE for this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [2]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Bookmarks
Like many entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders but instead wanted to begin paying into Social Security and building good credit histories.

A. Like many entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders -->should be "many other entertainers" because "members of an advocacy association of musicians" are also "entertainers"

B. Like many other entertainers, tax evaders and members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be that --> meaning change: "many other entertainers" is compared w/ "members of an advocacy association of musicians"

C. Members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders like many entertainers --> "like many entertainers" should be close to the noun it compares

D. Members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be like tax evaders and many other entertainers--> same as C

E. Like many other entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders --> correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [2]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Kudos
For anyone who is confused between option A and E, please check this thread on Manhattan forum. This question has been retired!

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t2431.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 516
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Here, the musicians are also entertainers of some sort.
So like many other entertainers, these musicians (entertainers) too don't want to evade tax.
Thus E is the answer.
Hope this helps!
:D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Here is my 2 cents for this SC problem.

1. We can not compare a person to himself. That's poor comparison.
2. Many is not equal to all. It is not clear from "many" whether members of AAM are included or excluded in this "many".

Therefore, the addition of "other" keeps all errors away in E.

globaldesi wrote:
whl961210 wrote:

A. Like many entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders

B. Like many other entertainers, tax evaders and members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be that

C. Members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders like many entertainers

D. Members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be like tax evaders and many other entertainers

E. Like many other entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders

members of an advocacy association of musicians are also entertainers, so when they are compared , they should be compared using other (comparison with other entertainers), hence other plays an important role. Keeping that one change apart the sentence is grammatically correct and follows all rules. E solves that problem
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM

A. Like many entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders-> comparison between "entertainers" and "members". It is correct. They refers to entertainers, which makes sense too. Let's keep it.

B. Like many other entertainers, tax evaders and members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be that -> comparison between "entertainers" and "tax evaders and members". Incorrect.

C. Members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders like many entertainers -> comparison between "tax evaders" and "entertainers". Incorrect.

D. Members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be like tax evaders and many other entertainers -> comparison between "tax evaders" and "other entertainers". Incorrect.

E. Like many other entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders -> comparison between "other entertainers" and "members". It is better.

Now, if we compare A and E both are correct, but intended meaning is better in E.
So, I think E. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Like many entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musician [#permalink]
GMATNinja DmitryFarber KarishmaB

Hi Experts,

I hope you all are doing well.

Like many other entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders but instead wanted to begin paying into Social Security and building good credit histories.

As above is the complete correct answer for this question. However i understand how the Option E is correct.

At First i eliminated option B,C,D. and Due to "other" the only difference i choose Option(E) over Option(A). However i am facing the difficulty with dealing with the sentence structure "they no longer wanted to be tax evaders but instead wanted to begin paying into Social Security and building good credit histories." Which i think the words which should follow the "Wanted to" should be parallel.

Please help me in understanding the structure. If they both are parallel, then How?

Thanks in Advance.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Keshav1404 wrote:

Hi Experts,

Like many other entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders but instead wanted to begin paying into Social Security and building good credit histories.

As above is the complete correct answer for this question. However i understand how the Option E is correct.

At First i eliminated option B,C,D. and Due to "other" the only difference i choose Option(E) over Option(A). However i am facing the difficulty with dealing with the sentence structure "they no longer wanted to be tax evaders but instead wanted to begin paying into Social Security and building good credit histories." Which i think the words which should follow the "Wanted to" should be parallel.

Please help me in understanding the structure. If they both are parallel, then How?

Thanks in Advance.

Look at the parallel elements:

... musicians said that they

no longer wanted to be tax evaders
but
instead wanted to begin paying into Social Security and building good credit histories.

The two highlighted are in parallel. Let's check by making complete sentences out of each.

... musicians said that they no longer wanted to be tax evaders
... musicians said that they instead wanted to begin paying into Social Security...

Makes sense. Does that help?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Like many entertainers, members of an advocacy association of musician [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:
Keshav1404 wrote:

Hi Experts,

Thanks in Advance.

but
instead wanted to begin paying into Social Security and building good credit histories.

The two highlighted are in parallel. Let's check by making complete sentences out of each.

... musicians said that they instead wanted to begin paying into Social Security...

KarishmaB
Thanks for responding.

Both "be tax evaders" and "begin paying into Social Security", shouldn't be also parallel?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Keshav1404 wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
Keshav1404 wrote:

Hi Experts,

Thanks in Advance.

but

KarishmaB
Thanks for responding.

Both "be tax evaders" and "begin paying into Social Security", shouldn't be also parallel?

'to be' and 'to begin' are both infinitive forms. They are in parallel.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts