Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
School of Hotel and Tourism Management Celebrates 20th Anniversary [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: School of Hotel and Tourism Management Celebrates 20th Anniversary
On 20 November, the Chinese University of Hong Kong’s School of Hotel and Tourism Management hosted a Gala Cocktail at the Peninsula Hotel, celebrating its 20th Anniversary with over 200 guests that included government officials, industry leaders, academia, alumni and many more.

Professor David Chan, Director of School of Hotel and Tourism Management opened the evening by welcoming distinguished guests, colleagues, and alumni, followed by remarks by The Hon Matthew Cheung Kin-chung GBS JP, Chief Secretary for Administration, HKSAR; Ms. Sonia Cheng, Chairman, Advisory Committee on Hotel and Tourism Management, CUHK, CEO of Rosewood Hotel Group; and school founder Professor Kam-hon Lee, Emeritus Professor of Marketing at CUHK; as well as Professor Kalok Chan, Wei Lun Professor of Finance, Dean, CUHK Business School.

Apart from congratulating the School on its 20 years of successful development, these four speakers also acknowledged and thanked former and current programme directors, professors, students, and staff members for their outstanding contribution that has made the School what it is today.

Ms. Sonia Cheng remarked about how new hotels and brands have injected some much-needed vibrancy into the markets, while existing hotels face further rate pressure and manpower constraints, calling for the industry to continue to innovate in all aspects, and acknowledging how the School has been grooming leaders for the industry.

Professor Kalok Chan added that the School of Hotel and Tourism Management was established in 1998, a year that most will remember as one of Hong Kong’s toughest years when the Asian financial crisis swept through, yet also opened up new opportunities. Two decades later, establishing the School is now seen as a far-sighted action. Prof. Chan expressed confidence that under the leadership of Professor David Chan, the School of Hotel and Tourism Management at CUHK Business School is poised to expand its regional global reach and reputation.

The post School of Hotel and Tourism Management Celebrates 20th Anniversary appeared first on CUHK Business School.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Celebration of CUHK 85th Congregation for the Conferment of Degrees [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: Celebration of CUHK 85th Congregation for the Conferment of Degrees
During the Congregation Ceremony, Prof. Rocky Tuan, CUHK’s Vice-Chancellor, encouraged students on staying true to themselves and finding success as a professional. “Dear students, cherish and remain true to your aspirations, and do not forget the pure and simple reasons that motivated you at the outset. I wish all of you every success, and I look forward to your coming back as alumni to your alma mater, to share your lives’ stories in the very near future.”

The Congregation for the Conferment of Degrees is one of the highlighted events at the University and is cherished by faculty members, staff, students, alumni, and parents. Prof. Fan Tingting (Department of Marketing) and Dr. John Lai (Department of Management) received the University Education Award, for their outstanding commitment to the promotion of teaching excellence; Prof. Lisa Wan (School of Hotel and Tourism Management) was also presented with the Vice-Chancellor’s Exemplary Teaching Award during the ceremony.

CUHK Business School hosted a special celebration at the Cheng Yu Tung Building on Saturday, 17 November, inviting students, faculty members, staff, alumni and parents to return for photos and refreshments after the Master’s Degree Graduation Ceremony.

University Education Award 2018 博文教學獎2018

【Good Teachers at CUHK】You may have realised that outstanding educators have one thing in common. They put students' growth before knowledge transfer. Congratulations to Prof. Fan Tingting and Dr. Lai Hon-weng John of the Faculty of Business Administration; and Dr. Yuen Kwan-yuk Jacqueline of the Faculty of Medicine on being awarded the University Education Award 2018.【中大好老師】你會發現,出色教育工作者的共通點是把學生的自我成長放首位,比傳遞知識更重要。恭喜中大工商管理學院范亭亭教授、賴漢榮博士,以及醫學院阮君毓博士憑藉用心教學,獲大學頒授2018年度博文教學獎。

The Chinese University of Hong Kong 香港中文大學 – CUHK 發佈於 2018 年 11 月 15 日 星期四

The post Celebration of CUHK 85th Congregation for the Conferment of Degrees appeared first on CUHK Business School.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Communicating and Connecting the University with Businesses [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: Communicating and Connecting the University with Businesses
Prof. Michael Zhang completed his undergraduate at Tsinghua University back in 1996 majoring in two languages – English and Computer Science. He chose English because it was the language that could connect him with the world, and Computer Science allowed him to communicate with machines. The ability to communicate with both people and machines brought him from Beijing to Boston and eventually to Hong Kong, influencing both his personal and professional life.

Those were the emerging years of the “World Wide Web” and Prof. Zhang found out that Beijing Telecom, a subsidiary of China Telecom, was inviting people to sign up for its first 200 email accounts. Dialing up to the internet in 1992 through his phone line at home, Prof. Zhang got his first email account, as well as a RMB2,000 phone bill – an astronomical figure in those days which his mother reprimanded him for. What was dubbed as teenage curiosity sowed the seeds of innovation that went on to pave his personal and professional development for the next two decades.

“As an academia, I often remind myself that the university is a part of society, which is why academia needs to be a part of society rather than work in a silo, and to think about how our research can create an impact in our communities.” —— Prof. Michael Zhang

After completing his undergraduate studies, Prof. Zhang had short stints with 21vianet, the first internet data centre set up in China, as well as China United Holdings as an investment banking consultant, both giving him exposure to real life applications of technology and confirming his approach in choosing research topics based on usability. With an increasing interest to understand the impact of information technology on marketing including products, behavior of both buyers and sellers, advertising, search engine and the ensuing financial returns, Prof. Zhang went on to do his Masters of Science in Management with Tsinghua University and completed his PhD in Management at MIT Sloan School of Management, writing his dissertation on “Tapping into the Pulse of the Market – Essays on Marketing Implications of Information Flows”.

Two decades on since his PhD, Prof. Zhang continues his research and collaboration with companies, expanding his interests of studying about the influence of IT in marketing to IT in finance. “As an academia, I often remind myself that the university is a part of society, which is why academia needs to be a part of society rather than work in a silo, and to think about how our research can create an impact in our communities. This is the principle I use when choosing my research projects as well, which is why I love communicating and connecting the university with businesses.” One similar theme for Prof. Zhang’s work is that he focuses on data and experiments with it to build models, “Businesses succeed because they find the right model that works, and the businesses that sustain are the ones who have been able to replicate that model.”

Prof. Zhang shared about a project with the Chinese internet-related services and products company Baidu back in 2016-2017, on how they were looking to use advanced artificial intelligence technology to improve its business model. Similar to many of his past collaborations with the private sector, this opportunity came about by chance, when one of his contacts at Tsinghua University who is an advisor to Baidu reached out to him to see if he could help. His project studied the behavior of advertisers who placed bids on Baidu’s search engine, and after analysing 70TB of data and helped develop new algorithms which enabled Baidu to be able to set a minimum cost on marketing keywords, ultimately increased the company’s revenue by 26 per cent.

“Data only tells correlation, it takes a lot of experimenting to find out the causal relationship and that’s what makes data useful,” Prof. Zhang explained about the core element of his work. He believes the financial sector has so much that it can do with all the data it has, “Banks are in the very early stages of leveraging the data they have and apply it across their business. I am also bullish about blockchain and bitcoin.”

“Businesses succeed because they find the right model that works, and the businesses that sustain are the ones who have been able to replicate that model.” —— Prof. Michael Zhang

In early 2019, he will be teaching students of MSc in Management and MBA in Finance programmes on courses such as financial data analysis, FinTech and entrepreneurial finance. The objective of the FinTech course is to educate students about social impact that FinTech businesses should and can create, while equipping them with foundational programming skills that students will be able to use even in their personal daily lives. The entrepreneurial finance course, a rather straightforward curriculum, covers the basics of how to raise capital for entrepreneurial ventures and improve start-ups’ valuation.

Touching on the topic of entrepreneurship and how the idea of starting a business or becoming part of a start-up seems to be all the rave these days, Prof. Zhang did not shy away from sharing about his successes. “I’ve been lucky to have a few successful businesses, and I’ve also experienced a lot of failures which I see as a good thing. There’s always something to learn from failures.”

He admitted that next spring will be a challenge as he will be teaching executives in the EMBA (Chinese) programme about the strategic value of IT in transforming traditional business, given how many of these executives are already very successful in their own rights.

Unsuspectingly, Prof. Zhang attributes much of his success to luck. “Ultimately, luck is the key factor in whether a business succeeds or not, more so than any other skills. You can try to apply every lesson you learn from books or successful entrepreneurs, but never underestimate how luck is the ultimate element that decides if your business will take flight.”

The post Communicating and Connecting the University with Businesses appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
PACC and GBS Students Reaped Three Awards at HKICPA Business Case Com [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: PACC and GBS Students Reaped Three Awards at HKICPA Business Case Competition 2018
Two teams from CUHK Business School were recognized for their outstanding performances at the HKICPA Business Case Competition. Four year-two PACC students including Ivan Lee, Ann Ma, Vincy Wan, and Karen Wong won the First Runner-Up while the other four year-one GBS students including Audrey Chau, Jason Lo, Anson Kan, and Heidi Chan won the Second Runner-up and the Best Written Report.

Three teams from CUHK Business School, including two from PACC and one from GBS, were shortlisted as three of the 12 finalists to compete for the championship. Finalist teams were required to submit a business proposal to improve the performance and restore the image for a company, and present their strategic ideas in front of the adjudicating panel. During the contest, Dr. Edmund Wong, PACC Programme Director, Dr. Raymond Wong, GBS Programme Co-Director and Mr. Eric Leung, PACC Associate Programme Director were at the contest to support the students. The winning teams impressed the judges with their comprehensive market analysis, international perspective and feasible strategies.

Organized by HKICPA, the competition was open to all undergraduate students from any disciplines and any tertiary institutions in mainland China, Macau, and Hong Kong.  This year, the competition attracted more than 630 teams from various cities and provinces in China including Beijing, Guangzhou, Nanchang, Shantou, Tianjin, Zhuhai, as well as Macau and Hong Kong to participate.

The post PACC and GBS Students Reaped Three Awards at HKICPA Business Case Competition 2018 appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CUHK Marketing Professor Named MSI Young Scholar [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK Marketing Professor Named MSI Young Scholar
Established in 2001, The MSI Young Scholars Program is a biennial programme that recognizes some of the most remarkable marketing scholars worldwide who possess the potential to become the future leaders of marketing academics.

“We are honoured as well as thrilled to receive this recognition from this year’s MSI Young Scholars Program,” said Prof. Michael Hui, Choh-Ming Li Professor of Marketing and Chairman of Department of Marketing. “This recognition exemplifies CUHK Business School’s long-standing endeavour towards research excellence, and it is encouraging to see Luxi being recognized as one of the best young marketing academics worldwide.”

Prof. Shen earned her Ph.D. in Behavioural Science from The University of Chicago Booth School of Business in 2014 and joined CUHK Business School in the same year. She studies basic judgment and decision-making topics that have important marketing, managerial, and policy implications. Her recent research focuses on uncertainty, risk, and luck in the context of pricing strategies and incentive designs. Prof. Shen’s work has been published in top academic journals including the Journal of Consumer Research, the Journal of Marketing Research, Psychological Science, and Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Process.

“I am deeply honoured to join the 2019 class of MSI Young Scholars,” said Prof. Shen. “It takes a village to raise a child. I thank my village here at the CUHK Business School for their generous and continuous support throughout the years. I am especially grateful to my great colleagues in the Department of Marketing for inspiring and motivating me to pursue world-class research.”

Another member of our CUHK Business School community, Prof. Irene Huang, was also named as a 2019 MSI Young Scholar. She completed her doctoral degree under the supervision of Prof. Michael Hui and Prof. Meng Zhang, Professor of Department of Marketing and Assistant Dean (Teaching and Learning), in 2013 and is currently an assistant professor at the College of Business at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.

The post CUHK Marketing Professor Named MSI Young Scholar appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CONNECT Vol. 27 – December 2018 is Available! [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CONNECT Vol. 27 – December 2018 is Available!
In this issue, we start off by taking a look at the human genome, if there are specific genetic markers involved in genetic influences on leadership, answering the question on whether leaders are born or made and how either answer would still make it a mixed blessing with complicated effects.

One of the most popular online group buying e-commerce platform in the U.S. celebrates its 10th anniversary this year, and we take a look at the science of group buying, comparing it to a China e-commerce company that bears a similar nature. Beyond the simplicities of forming a group of people to enjoy quantity discounts, we find out what other motivations and behaviours should a good coupon model be able to drive and elicit.

On the topic of getting close to consumers, we explore a timely topic on how to take customer service to the next level in order to compete and survive in today’s service industry. While creativity and innovation in customer service are not new directives, we try to find out how good is good enough.

Contents
Please click here to download the magazine in PDF format.

The post CONNECT Vol. 27 – December 2018 is Available! appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
Prof. David Ahlstrom Named Among the World’s Most Highly Cited Researc [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: Prof. David Ahlstrom Named Among the World’s Most Highly Cited Researchers
96 researchers around the world were identified as Highly Cited Researchers in the Economics & Business field, and Prof. Ahlstrom is among the five researchers from universities in Asia.

The Highly Cited Researchers list recognises world-class researchers selected for their exceptional research performance in one or more of 21 broad fields (those used in Essential Science Indicators (ESI)) or the cross-field category, determined by production of multiple highly cited papers that rank in the top 1 per cent by citations for field and year in Web of Science.

Please click here for the full list of Highly Cited Researchers 2018.

A press release was also posted on the CUHK website on 2 December 2018.

The post Prof. David Ahlstrom Named Among the World’s Most Highly Cited Researchers appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
Prepare to Venture into the eSports World [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: Prepare to Venture into the eSports World
Clearence Cheung (BBA in Integrated BBA 2013) has expressed a keen interest in video games from a young age. He joined Google after finishing university and worked in advertising and YouTube content management. A few years later, he left the tech giant to start a digital marketing company with a partner. He subsequently ventured into the eSports business and established an all-women professional eSports team. It did not take long for the team to be acquired by Emperor Esports Stars, and he was recruited as the company’s Head of Business. Clearence attributes his passion and career success to his strong foundations, which help him seize opportunities that knock on his door.

Undergraduate Studies as a Time to Accumulate Experience Points
A business major, Clearence has shown a great deal of business acumen since the age of ten. As a keen online gamer, he did not just play to entertain himself but made money too. By obtaining sought-after weapons and reselling them to other players he was able to earn at least a thousand dollars a month.

Clearence had a fulfilling campus life at CUHK. Besides learning, he completed five internships in areas including event management, digital marketing and market research, starting from Year 2. He thinks the combination of theory and practical experience gave him comprehensive understanding of the business world, and his extensive internship experience gave him an edge over his peers. One of the things that impressed Google and landed him a job there despite strong competition was his work experience.

Clearence (far right) joined a mentorship programme and worked under Prof. Andrew Chan (2nd from left), EMBA Programme Director. Clearence has met many business leaders through Prof. Chan.

“Leveling up” with Foresight and Network
Clearence led a remarkable career at Google and took on many different roles, including working with advertisers and advertising agencies. He was later appointed as the Hong Kong Partnership Manager of YouTube, responsible for the growth of YouTubers, assisting brokering partnerships between brands and YouTubers. However, he did not want to become complacent and work only one job in his entire life. As social media became more integrated into our daily lives and KOLs (key opinion leaders) played a more influential role in affecting consumers’ purchasing decisions, Clearence saw a business opportunity. He left Google after four years and founded digital marketing company Jengah Limited with his partner Elton, who is also a graduate from CUHK Business School.

Jengah specialised in tailor-making digital marketing strategies for clients. While Clearence leveraged his professional network to negotiate partnerships between clients and KOLs, Elton focused on video content creation. Little did they think a two-person company with an extremely low set-up cost could manage to pull in HK$3 million revenue in the first few months. They even won the champion in the startup team category at the Hong Kong selection round of the 2017 Qianhai Shenzhen-Hong Kong-Macao Youth Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition.

Clearence (right) partnered his university classmate Elton to establish digital marketing company Jengah. They won the champion in the Start-up Team Category in the Hong Kong selection round of the 2017 Qianhai Shenzhen-Hong Kong-Macao Youth Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition.

The Ultimate Key to Success: Keep the Fire Going
An idea struck Clearence one day: Rather than making deals for other KOLs, why not mentor his own? Because of his passion for video gaming, he was very up-to-date with eSports trends. He noticed the lack of major eSports KOLs at that time, so he put together an all-women professional eSports team, Stinga. In less than two months, Stinga was acquired by Emperor Esports Stars, and Clearence joined the company as Head of Business.

Like physical sports such as football and basketball, eSports is not held back by language barriers. It has quickly become one of the most watched forms of sports globally. Reports indicate that the global viewership of online game League of Legends has surpassed that of the NBA. Besides revenue from ticketing and broadcast rights, eSports also simulates growth in other components along the industry chain such as gaming devices and tourism and contributes to massive economic yield. The global revenue of eSports was estimated at US$700 million last year, and it is expected to grow exponentially.

Besides expanding eSports business within his company through advertising and sponsorship, media promotion, partnership with brands, Clearence also offers the government insights into local eSports development and manages an eSports diploma programme co-organised by Emperor Esports Stars and academic partners. The programme covers topics such as business ecosystem, financing strategies, team management, and game commentary, and Clearence also gives lectures on event management. The programme was full as soon as enrollment began.

Clearence’s (far right) digital marketing company Jengah founded an all-women professional eSports team Stinga

Final Boss: Hongkongers’ Misconception of eSports
The future of the eSports industry in Hong Kong is full of challenges. “Take a look at eSports overseas. In mainland China, it’s backed by video gaming giants like Tencent; in Taiwan, it’s supported by the semiconductor industry; In Korea and even the US and Europe, they’re championed by their governments. Development in Hong Kong is lagging behind because it doesn’t enjoy any of these advantages. We don’t even have an eSports venue.” Clearence thinks the misconception about eSports is the biggest of all the obstacles. “eSports is such a massive global industry, but people think eSports is merely video games. An average video gamer isn’t on a par with an eSports player. The latter spends up to 16 hours a day training. It requires every ounce of perseverance. I hope to play a part in helping eSports gain the recognition it deserves from Hongkongers one day.”

Although the market is small, our homegrown players have been thriving in this niche environment. “They’re remarkably quick on their feet and resilient. In the 2018 Asian Games that has just wrapped up, Hong Kong qualified for four of the six events and even proved our worth by winning a gold medal in the Hearthstone tournament!”

Clearence has a piece of advice to those who want to enter the eSports business: First, they must perform well academically instead of using it as an excuse to skip school. Second, they need to know whether they have the passion it takes to be an eSports player or if they are just an avid gamer. “Only those with passion can devote this much energy to a cause, like me and my colleagues.”

If one can apply this much passion for video games, how hard would it be to win in the game of life?

Clearence (right), Head of Business for Emperor eSports Star, with Mr. Ryan Chow (centre), Founder and CEO of the Cyber Games Arena, and Mr. Eric Yeung (left), President of the E-sports Association Hong Kong, launch the first eSports diploma programme accredited by the government.

The post Prepare to Venture into the eSports World appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
Love of Sustainability Powers Passion to Drive Change in Society [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: Love of Sustainability Powers Passion to Drive Change in Society
In an interview with South China Morning Post, Iu says, “My career aspiration is to create sustainable business solutions through the strategic alignment of business and social impact. I am looking to contribute to the complex social landscape, and ultimately creating a sustainable environment with positive impact on society.”

She is the president of the CSR (corporate social responsibility) Committee, one of the many social clubs in CUHK MBA programme.

“[CUHK Business School] encourages us to join student clubs as committee members to broaden our exposure and connect with different people. As the president of the CSR committee, it provides me with unique opportunities to organise the annual CUHK MBA CSR conference, Asia’s largest student-led conference,” states Iu.

“As sustainability is my passion, my knowledge of the subject continues to grow through connecting with sustainability leaders and organising events and workshops,” Iu says.

Iu adds that both the Business School and its MBA programme provide great networking opportunities with classmates, alumni and professionals from diverse fields.

“It offers a wide range of elective courses, with different concentration options. It accelerates personal development in leadership, teamwork and managerial and entrepreneurship mindset.”

Out of all the modules, Iu likes social entrepreneurship and impact investment the most for its practicality and the quality of the highly internationalised teaching faculty.

“We have guest speakers from diverse perspectives in the social entrepreneurship field who share with us during every class. This course connects us with the social entrepreneurship network at an early stage in the MBA journey,” she says.

Iu offers this advice to potential MBA students, “Never limit yourself. The world is large, so do go out and explore opportunities.”

Please also click the image below to read the full story published in South China Morning Post’s print edition.

Source: South China Morning Post

Date published: 5 December 2018

The post Love of Sustainability Powers Passion to Drive Change in Society appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
Fergus Chan: On a Bold Path to Startup Success [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: Fergus Chan: On a Bold Path to Startup Success
With a quiet sense of confidence and speaking with an acquired American accent, Fergus, recounts his journey to fame and what has been driving his determination to succeed all along.

Despite his young age, Fergus already knew what he wanted with a laser-sharp vision. Back in 2006, when he was interviewed by the media after he got a scholarship to study at Harvard Business School for a year, he said he wanted to become “an inspiring entrepreneur who could earn respect from subordinates and colleagues.” It took him only seven years to realise his dream and become a co-founder CEO of Epinomics, a life science data analytics startup based in Silicon Valley.

By that time, Fergus was already accustomed to media interviews. His first claim to fame was when he became a top scorer in the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (HKCEE), with 7As in his pocket. What was fascinating was that his twin sister, Fiona, achieved the exact same score as he did. Fergus has attributed his early academic success to having his sister as his study buddy. From an early age, he started to appreciate working alongside a teammate who had the same value, passion and goals as he did. They would often encourage each other and egg each other on so they would not rest on their laurels.

“Accountancy is the language of business. It helps you understand how a business operates and how to run it well. The fundamental principles apply to both bigger companies and startups.” — Fergus Chan

After secondary school, Fergus decided to pursue an education in business administration, and he chose CUHK Business School to get closer to his ultimate goal of becoming an entrepreneur who would make an impact on people’s lives. He was admitted to the School’s Professional Accountancy (PACC) programme through the Early Admission Scheme and graduated in 2008. Fergus explained his choice of the accounting programme, “Accountancy is the language of business. It helps you understand how a business operates and how to run it well. The fundamental principles apply to both bigger companies and startups.”

The knowledge he gained while at CUHK came in handy when he came across an extraordinary opportunity to head a startup in a cutting-edge field, epigenomics, while he was pursuing his MBA degree at Stanford Graduate School of Business.

At Stanford, he crossed paths with Paul Giresi and two Stanford Professors, who invited him to co-found Epinomics, which aims at turning outstanding academic research in genomics into real-life applications so that patients of a wide range of diseases can get personalised medical treatments, therapies and drugs based on their genetic status.

Fergus always has a passion about making a social impact through working in different capacities that touch people’s lives. By the time he was studying at Stanford, he had already several years’ experience working as a management consultant for McKinsey, where he was put on a fast track as a distinctive consultant. Having worked in Greater China, Southeast Asia, Mongolia, Europe, the US and the Middle East, he was exposed to a wide array of cultures and industries, including healthcare and technology. In addition, he was encouraged to spend time on doing things that would make a social impact, so he became extremely interested in social enterprises. In fact, his exposure to the concept of social enterprises at CUHK planted a seed in him to pursue meaningful work rather than working only for money.

“As a management consultant,” he says, “McKinsey helps big companies become successful or continue to be successful. I also wanted to help build something from the early stage and make it impactful, that’s why building a startup was a natural step. Going back to business school and being surrounded by a lot of passionate people was a step for me to spend more time doing something with a social impact.”

During and after his MBA time at Stanford, Fergus spent time coaching different technology startups on the side, including coaching a Stanford-affiliated startup accelerator. Through such volunteer work, he crossed paths with two professors and Paul who are inventors of a technology that Fergus built a team and turned into an eventually commercialised epigenomic product. This product analyses people’s genomics functioning status and then provides the cloud data analytics software to allow personalised applications of drug and medical therapies.

The Speedy Way to Startup
What exactly are “genomics” and “epigenomics”–the two concepts that Fergus’ startup specialises in?

Genomics is a branch of science that looks at our DNA. “Once you’re born, it won’t change,” explains Fergus. “It’s a static way of viewing a person. Prescribing medicine to fit the person’s DNA is a static measure. What matters more is how genes are turned on and off. This is the field we are in–epigenomics, which means ‘on top of genetics.'”

In other words, he continues, genomics or DNA are like hardware, but epigenomics is like the software or operating system of our body. External factors in the environment, such as our food, toxins and our emotional traumas, can actually change our epigenomes.

“To build a startup, you need to have an appreciation for all the skills that are needed.” — Fergus Chan

“The technology developed in Stanford provides a way to take epigenomics data to a new level,” Fergus says. “It is the technology to read epigenomes and provide the platform to analyse the data. Then we use the data as an engine to make them into actionable insights, which can be applied to research, drug discoveries and clinical settings.”

Fergus is getting a kick out of the far-reaching impact his startup has been creating since the very beginning, when he helped turn research into product from the get go. How did he manage to convince seasoned venture capitalists to invest in his startup without any launched products?

The strategy Fergus used was to incorporate potential customers in the process from day 1. In this case, he got a number of biotech companies to adopt the technology while it was still in the “paper” stage. Such demand proved to potential investors that they were not dealing with a technology that was yet to become a product or a product trying to find a market. One of the several collaborations his company had formed later on includes the Parker Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy.

Part of the initial core team of Epionomics with diverse expertise in medicine, genomics, data science, product and computer science (Photo provided by Fergus Chan)

“Our interests and demands were well aligned with our customers, which helped to raise funding immediately,” says Fergus. “That accelerated everything. So we managed to build and launch the product in the first year of operation and started bringing in a revenue. Some people originally thought that we are a research company, but we are actually a full product company with a lot of customers’ demand. We showed execution and delivered results.”

What Fergus’ startup managed to achieve is a bit of an anomaly even in Silicon Valley, where it typically takes a number of years for a concept in biotech to develop fully into a commercially viable product. The key to his quick start in raising funds before a product was launched boiled down to his iron-clad focus on what really matters, his “impatience” to see impact from his business, and his ability to minimise risks for potential investors.

“In Silicon Valley, we talk a lot about ‘de-risking.’ There are many risks–technology risks, product-market risks, etc. that you have to get through in order to build a company with value. For us, because we had demand from customers who were willing to use our product from day 1, that greatly reduced our risks.”

“My role as a CEO is to create a strong vision so that everyone knows where we need to head to, and then build a platform for them to leverage their expertise.” — Fergus Chan

Being a young CEO, what does it take for Fergus to run a company that consists of a diverse range of experts, including scientists, doctors, data scientists and computer engineers?

Understanding fully that one cannot possibly know everything necessary to operate a business, Fergus tries to focus on the big picture instead of micromanaging. “To build a startup, you need to have an appreciation for all the skills that are needed,” he says. “My role as a CEO is to create a strong vision so that everyone knows where we need to head to, and then build a platform for them to leverage their expertise. They would know much more than me about things they have expertise in. I also care a lot about supporting personal development, so I keep encouraging them to stretch themselves so they can grow into bigger and broader roles as well.”

Recently, Epinomics has been successfully acquired by 10x Genomics, a biotech company that specialises in single-cell and other emerging areas of genomic analysis with the goal of accelerating understanding of new biology and disease, which has recently won the San Francisco Bay Area’s fastest growing private company award. One of the reasons for the acquisition was to leverage Epinomics’ proprietary epigenetic technology and make it available to more scientists to enable better scientific discoveries and clinical applications. After the acquisition, Fergus’ goal is to make the company’s existing technology more available to researchers, clinical scientists and the society at large.

Advice for Students
With his high-profile and intensive experience in business consultancy and entrepreneurship, Fergus has accumulated much wisdom to share with the aspiring entrepreneurs who are still in business school.

One common question among students is whether undergraduates should accumulate a certain number of years of work experience before starting their own business.

Fergus shares, “I think everyone has a different path, so there isn’t a right way for everyone. But one thing I care a lot about is that people should find out what matters most to them and then build a good team around it. Some people just start a company without understanding what they care about. But some people know what their life calling is, and they build a good team around that.”

Fergus believes that those who know what their calling is before building a business have the highest chance for success.

“People should find out what matters most to them and then build a good team around it.” — Fergus Chan

He sums up his advice for students in three simple steps:

• Find what matters to you the most.
  • Surround yourself with passionate people.
  • Create a vision and execute to make impact.
The post Fergus Chan: On a Bold Path to Startup Success appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
International Students Attracted by CUHK MiM’s Innovative Curriculum a [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: International Students Attracted by CUHK MiM’s Innovative Curriculum and Practice-oriented Learning Opportunities
According to data from the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), 67 per cent of graduate management programmes in the Asia Pacific region reported application growth in 2018. This is more than both Canada and Europe, and significantly more than the US, where 57 per cent of programmes reported a decline.

Evidently, the lure of Asia’s expanding economy and innovation centres is pulling in increasing numbers to Asia’s top business schools, including The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School.

CUHK Business School’s new and innovative MSc in Management (MiM) programme welcomed its first cohort this year. CUHK MiM promises early-career business professionals the chance to gain an in-depth, practical understanding of the challenges facing business today from an Asian perspective.

In an interview with BusinessBecause, an UK-based online news portal for business school students and prospects, CUHK MiM’s international students, including Joe Cirkiel from the US, Koe Shern from Malaysia and Bill Tung from Taiwan, shared with the media the advantages of selecting Hong Kong as the destination for an MiM, and what they aspire to gain from this experience for their future career development.

To find more about what Cirkiel, Shern and Tung have shared with the media, please click here to read the full story published in BusinessBecause.

Source: BusinessBecause

Date published: 28 November 2018

The post International Students Attracted by CUHK MiM’s Innovative Curriculum and Practice-oriented Learning Opportunities appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CUHK MAcc Programme Accredited by The Taxation Institute of Hong Kong [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK MAcc Programme Accredited by The Taxation Institute of Hong Kong
The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School’s Master of Accounting (MAcc) Programme has been accredited by The Taxation Institute of Hong Kong (TIHK) — the first of its kind in Hong Kong.

According to the mutual agreement between CUHK Business School and TIHK, MAcc students who graduated on or later than 1 January 2018 will be entitled to exemptions for four papers when taking the Certified Tax Adviser (CTA) Qualifying Examination.

The four papers include:

• Paper 1: Accounting and Finance
  • Paper 2: Hong Kong Tax
  • Paper 3: International Tax
  • Paper 4: PRC Tax
CUHK MAcc is the most recognised accounting degree programme in Hong Kong which has been accredited by major professional accounting bodies, including The Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA), The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and CPA Australia.

“I’m delighted that our MAcc Programme is the first accounting degree porgramme in Hong Kong to attain professional accreditation from The Taxation Institute of Hong Kong,” said Dr. Joyce Wang, Director of MAcc Programme, Postgraduate Diploma in Professional Accountancy Programme and Senior Lecturer of School of Accountancy at CUHK Business School. “The accreditation is a testimony to our continuous efforts in building a rigorous and relevant curriculum with experiential learning opportunities that can foster our students’ market competitiveness.”

The post CUHK MAcc Programme Accredited by The Taxation Institute of Hong Kong appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CUHK Business School Announces the 4th Hong Kong Business Sustainabili [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK Business School Announces the 4th Hong Kong Business Sustainability Index
The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) Business School’s Centre for Business Sustainability (CBS) announced results of the 4th Hong Kong Business Sustainability Index (HKBSI) today, where leading companies listed in Hong Kong have shown increasing concerns for corporate social responsibility (CSR) and business sustainability. The top 10 HKBSI company ranking was also unveiled for the first time.

Compared to the results of the 3rd HKBSI released in July last year, the overall average score of the 50 constituent companies of the Hang Seng Index (HSI) as at 6 June 2018 in the 4th HKBSI was 56.01 (out of 100 points), an increase of 10 per cent, whereas the average score of the top 20 Index companies has recorded 75.57 (out of 100 points), up by around 4.29 per cent from that of the last round.

HKBSI aims at encouraging companies in Hong Kong to adopt corporate social responsibility (CSR) as a progressive business model for them to achieve business sustainability. Putting a spotlight on the largest companies as a leading force, 50 HSI constituent companies were invited to complete an online assessment questionnaire concerning their CSR performance for the financial year ended in 2016/17, based on publicly available information. Each company was assessed in three major areas, namely CSR Values, CSR Process (comprising CSR management and practices) and CSR Impact against seven stakeholder groups, as well as the company’s contributions to economic, social and environmental sustainability. As the Technical Partner of the project, SGS Hong Kong Limited conducted sample check and verification of the information provided by individual companies.

Prof. Carlos Lo, Director of Centre for Business Sustainability
Prof. Carlos Lo, Director of CBS, explained that the assessment of HKBSI is based on the unique “Values – Process – Impact” (VPI) model, which was developed by the Sustainability Management Research Centre and launched in 2015. Prof. Lo said, “There has been progressive advancement in the performance of business sustainability over the past four rounds of HKBSI. However in this latest round, despite an increase in the overall average score, the standard deviation was also visibly large (18.99 points), reflecting a huge performance gap between the top and bottom companies.”

For the top 20 HKBSI companies, the mean score of this round has recorded a significant improvement of 32 per cent (from 57.25 points in the 1st HKBSI). On the other hand, the number of “Explorer” companies with scores below the overall average of 50 greatly reduced. Eight companies achieved over 80 points and reached the “Pace-setter” level which is comparable to international standard. The Hong Kong and China Gas Company Limited is the best-ranked company which is also the first ever company achieving over 90 points and reaching the top level of “Exemplar”. This reflected that the company’s performance of business sustainability has attained the international standard.

Among the assessment aspects of VPI, in comparison with the results of the 3rd HKBSI, all the four aspects (Value, Management, Practice and Impact) have seen improvements. “Values” has registered the highest mean score of 66.34 points and the highest growth of 22.67 per cent in the 4th round. “Process-Management” (61.36 points) and “Process-Practice” (62.35 points) have also performed well, recording 20.38 per cent and 66.98 per cent rise respectively. The average score of “Impact” (39.23 points) has chalked up an impressive increase of 20 per cent; yet, “Impact” has remained as the weakest area across the board. As for the top 20 HKBSI companies, their scores in “Value” and “Process” have been stable (above 80 points) in the latest round, which shows that these companies are mature in the two aspects. These companies’ average scores on “Impact” has been improved from 50.75 to 57.66, up by 14 per cent from that of the last round.

The results of the 4th HKBSI assessed under the VPI model reflects that more companies have been increasingly concerned about business sustainability and hence have committed diligent effort in implementing CSR practices in this round of assessment. Prof. Lo indicated that this year, 86 per cent of the index companies published standalone Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG)/sustainability report, and the figure was only 72 per cent last year and 2 per cent even with no reporting.

Prof. Lo attributed the high score in “Values” to the companies’ increasing adoption of conceptual frameworks related to business sustainability and CSR, as well as their greater concern for various stakeholders. It shows that companies have increasingly approached their CSR activities in a strategic manner, with defined priorities aligned with their business drivers, thus enabling the companies to leverage their strengths for achieving better impact on the beneficiaries.

Commenting on the “Impact” of the VPI model, the weakest area that companies performed, Prof. Lo pointed out that many companies are still implementing CSR on project-driven basis. Although many have begun to take “Impact” more seriously, they still lack the ability to measure, both qualitatively and quantitatively, the results and impacts of their CSR practices and activities. He said evaluation and review of these practices are still relatively less developed in many companies, and it will be important for them to apply measurable Key Impact Indicators and comparable data related to CSR management. Such evaluations are useful for companies in not only improving their internal governance, but also strengthening their external accountability.

Currently, more than half (52 per cent) of the HSI constituent companies are non-Hong Kong based companies, comprising of H-shares, red chips and other mainland Chinese firms listed in Hong Kong. The overall average score of these companies in the 4th HKBSI recorded a 14.43 per cent rise to 48.44 (out of 100 points) when compared to that of Hong Kong based companies (7.02 per cent), showing a bigger performance improvement in business sustainability. One non-Hong Kong based company even occupied a place in the Top 10 ranking, while three others were ranked between 11-20.

Echoing the recently launched Hang Seng Stock Connect Hong Kong Big Bay Area Index, CBS will extend its sustainability index project to the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area and even the Greater China region. The compilation of a new business sustainability index that covers both Hong Kong-listed stocks and mainland-listed A-shares with operations in the Greater Bay Area is in the pipeline. 66 constituent companies from the Hong Kong and Shenzhen stock markets that are eligible for southbound trading under the Stock Connect scheme will be included. In the future, CBS also plans to compile a business sustainability index for constituent companies of the Taiwan Capitalization Weighted Stock Index (TAIEX). Prof. Lo indicated that when mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan have their own business sustainability indices, we can then compile a consolidated one for the Greater China region with HKBSI serving as a benchmark. The consolidated business sustainability index can not only encourage and motivate companies in the region to adopt CSR as a progressive business model for them to achieve business sustainability, but also to serve as a robust indicator for ESG investors in selecting companies with socially responsible corporate behavior to invest.

The Hong Kong Business Sustainability Index – Average Scores

4th HKBSI
3rd HKBSI
Changes (4th vs 3rd HKBSI)

2nd HKBSI
1st HKBSI
Changes (4th vs 1st HKBSI)

Overall Mean (all companies)
+10.21%
+34.16%

Top 20 Mean
+4.29%
+32.00%

HK-based Mean
+7.02%
+29.95%

Non HK-based Mean
+14.43%
+37.73%

—————————————————

Overall Performance Level

4th vs 3rd HKBSI
4th HKBSI
3rd HKBSI
2nd HKBSI
1st HKBSI

90-100 points

Exemplar
+1
1 (2%)

80-89 points

Pace-setter
+3
8 (16%)
5 (10%)
2 (4%)

70-79 points

Achiever
3 (6%)
6 (12%)
10 (20%)

60-69 points

Performer
+1
8 (16%)
7 (14%)
3 (6%)
8 (16%)

50-59 points

Practicer
+5
12 (24%)
7 (14%)
4 (8%)
12 (24%)

Below 50 points

Explorer
18 (36%)
25 (50%)
31 (62%)
30 (60%)

—————————————————

Overall VPI Scores

4th HKBSI
3rd HKBSI
2nd HKBSI
1st HKBSI
Changes (4th vs 1st HKBSI)

Values
+6.31%
+22.67%

Process – Management
+4.92%
+20.38%

Process – Practice
+10.90%
+66.78%

Impact
+20.37%
+19.93%

—————————————————

VPI Scores – Non Hong Kong-based Companies

4th HKBSI
3rd HKBSI

Values
+7.62%

Process— Management
+5.44%

Process– Practice
18.09%

Impact
+31.46%

—————————————————

The Top 10 HKBSI Company Ranking

1. The Hong Kong and China Gas Company Limited

2. HSBC Holdings plc

3. MTR Corporation Limited

4. Sun Hung Kai Properties Limited

5. CLP Holdings Limited

6. BOC Hong Kong (Holdings) Limited

7. Hang Seng Bank Limited

8. China Resources Power Holdings Co., Ltd.

9. New World Development Company Limited

10. Swire Pacific Ltd. ‘A’

—————————————————

The 4th Hong Kong Business Sustainability Index Company List (in alphabetical order)

AAC Technologies Holdings Inc.

AIA Group Limited

Bank of China Limited

Bank of Communications Co., Ltd.*

The Bank of East Asia, Limited*

BOC Hong Kong (Holdings) Limited*

China Construction Bank Corporation

China Life Insurance Co. Ltd.

China Mengniu Dairy Company Limited

China Merchants Port Holdings Company Limited

China Mobile Limited*

China Overseas Land & Investment Limited

China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation

China Resources Land Limited

China Resources Power Holdings Co., Ltd.*

China Resources Power Holdings Co., Ltd.*

China United Network Communications Group Co., Ltd.

CITIC Limited

CK Asset Holdings Limited

CK Hutchison Holdings Limited

CK Infrastructure Holdings Limited

CLP Holdings Limited*

CNOOC Limited*

Country Garden

CSPC Pharmaceutical Group Limited

Galaxy Entertainment Group Limited

Geely Automobile Holdings Limited

Hang Lung Properties Limited*

Hang Seng Bank Limited*

Henderson Land Development Company Limited*

Hengan International Group Company Limited

The Hong Kong and China Gas Company Limited*

Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited *

HSBC Holdings plc*

Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited

Link Real Estate Investment Trust

MTR Corporation Limited*

New World Development Company Limited*

PetroChina Company Limited

Ping An Insurance (Group) Co. of China Ltd.

Power Assets Holdings Ltd.*

Sands China Ltd.

Sino Land Company Limited*

Sun Hung Kai Properties Limited*

Sunny Optical Technology (Group) Company Limited

Swire Pacific Ltd. ‘A’*

Tencent Holdings Limited

Want Want China Holdings Limited

WH Group Limited

Wharf Real Estate Investment Company Limited*

*Top 20 Companies

Prof. Kalok Chan, Dean of CUHK Business School (6th from left), Mr. Tim Lui, SBS, JP, Chairman of the Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) (middle), Prof. Carlos Lo, Director of Centre for Business Sustainability at CUHK Business School (2nd from left) and guests posed for a group photo during the launching ceremony of Centre for Business Sustainability.

Prof. Kalok Chan, Dean of CUHK Business School (9th from left), Mr. Tim Lui, SBS, JP, Chairman of the SFC (middle), Prof. Carlos Lo, Director of Centre for Business Sustainability at CUHK Business School (10th from left) and representatives of the top 20 HKBSI companies posed for a group photo.

The post CUHK Business School Announces the 4th Hong Kong Business Sustainability Index appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CUHK MBA Helps Graduates Benchmark Themselves and Appreciate their Str [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK MBA Helps Graduates Benchmark Themselves and Appreciate their Strengths and Weaknesses
In an interview with South China Morning Post, Jeffrey Ng, Head Of Data Lab, Chief Data Office Asia-Pacific, BNP Paribas, and CUHK MBA alumnus from the class of 2012, said, “Real-world problems demand people with cross-disciplinary talents such as technology, economics and people skills.”

CUHK MBA not only bought him to his current employer, Ng recalled; more importantly, it helped him benchmark himself and appreciate his strengths and weaknesses. “Personally, it gave me the confidence to anticipate and handle business needs using cool, cold facts,” he added.

However, a mere MBA does not give you anything more than a normal master’s degree if you aim only for grades but fail to appreciate the human side of it, or the deep technical skills that are at least on a par with those of technicians.

“Gone are the days of MBA instruction and leading with no appreciation of data and digital transformation. Execution means combined roles in decision-making,” Ng said.

Ng builds up teams in BNP Paribas through advanced analytics, as well as being one of the key contact points on FinTech topics and vice-chairman of the FinTech committee at the French Chamber of Commerce.

“I am writing an IT book on AI in finance, aiming to share my knowledge of the topic, which involves more than just trading. My inspiration is to help the financial industry transform itself inside out and make lasting change,” he stated.

“I also want to help the Hong Kong education system by providing much-needed skills that are in demand in the real world. We need to equip students with ‘a digital utopia’ before they enter the workforce to help build our society.”

Please click the image below to read the full story published in South China Morning Post’s print edition on 11 January 2019.

Source: South China Morning Post

Date published: 11 January 2019

The post CUHK MBA Helps Graduates Benchmark Themselves and Appreciate their Strengths and Weaknesses appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CUHK Business School Professors Shares their Predictions for the Tech [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK Business School Professors Shares their Predictions for the Tech Trends in 2019
FleishmanHillard, a multinational public relations and digital marketing agency, has released its 2019 tech predictions report entitled “Tech Trends 2019: The Fads. The Fears. The Future.” in December 2018. The report offers insights and predictions for the technology industry, featuring an analysis of 1 billion tech-focused consumer conversations on Twitter between 2017 and 2018, along with insights from more than 25 technology thought leaders from around the world.

The data for the report includes qualitative and quantitative data. A social conversation analysis was conducted around Gartner’s 2018 and 2019 trends to test true traction of emerging technology. These findings were then augmented by market-leading brand executives to forecast the direction of 2019. The report reflects global, English-language conversations. All data falls within the public domain and was aggregated to ensure that personally identifiable elements were removed from the analysis and methodology.

Invited by FleishmanHillard, Seen-meng Chew, Associate Professor of Practice in Finance of Department of Finance, and Michael Zhang, Associate Dean (Innovation and Impact) and Professor of Department of Decision Sciences and Managerial Economics at The Chinese University of Hong Kong Business School shared their thoughts on the biggest trends, challenges and opportunities that they see for the year of 2019.

The report includes predictions on Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Tech for good, and the following quotes were shared by Prof. Zhang and Prof. Chew:

AI
Companies are developing the next generation of electric cars that employ AI and facial recognition technologies. Some of the new models are priced at levels targeting middle-income populations, thus making broad usage possible. Equipped with self-driving and data-storage capabilities, as well as other intelligent interactive features, these smart cars also enable the development of ancillary products such as personalized insurance. – Prof. Seen-meng Chew

Practitioners have picked the low-hanging fruit already. So 2019 is unlikely to see any significant new applications of AI. We are likely to see some consolidation of solutions. Winners in each field will become more dominant. – Prof. Michael Zhang

Tech for Good
Use of IoT and robots/drones will continue to grow, creating brand new issues related to privacy and safety. – Prof. Michael Zhang

The agency has also disseminated a press release to the media around the world, and so far, more than 20 media pickups has been generated. Among the media coverage, Prof. Chew’s quote was cited by the UK-based Business Weekly in its story “More robots equals more jobs, says tech heavyweight” (PDF) on 4 January 2019; and Engineering.com in its story entitled “Tech Trends 2019: Driverless Cars, Artificial Intelligence & Augmented Reality” (PDF) on 15 January 2019.

About FleishmanHillard

FleishmanHillard specialises in public relations, reputation management, public affairs, brand marketing, digital strategy, social engagement and content strategy. The agency is part of Omnicom Public Relations Group, and has more than 80 offices in 30 countries, plus affiliates in 43 countries.

The post CUHK Business School Professors Shares their Predictions for the Tech Trends in 2019 appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
CUHK Business School Professors Share their Predictions for Tech Trend [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: CUHK Business School Professors Share their Predictions for Tech Trends in 2019
FleishmanHillard, a multinational public relations and digital marketing agency, has released its 2019 tech predictions report entitled “Tech Trends 2019: The Fads. The Fears. The Future.” in December 2018. The report offers insights and predictions for the technology industry, featuring an analysis of 1 billion tech-focused consumer conversations on Twitter between 2017 and 2018, along with insights from more than 25 technology thought leaders from around the world.

The data for the report includes qualitative and quantitative data. A social conversation analysis was conducted around Gartner’s 2018 and 2019 trends to test true traction of emerging technology. These findings were then augmented by market-leading brand executives to forecast the direction of 2019. The report reflects global, English-language conversations. All data falls within the public domain and was aggregated to ensure that personally identifiable elements were removed from the analysis and methodology.

Invited by FleishmanHillard, Seen-meng Chew, Associate Professor of Practice in Finance of Department of Finance, and Michael Zhang, Associate Dean (Innovation and Impact) and Professor of Department of Decision Sciences and Managerial Economics at The Chinese University of Hong Kong Business School shared their thoughts on the biggest trends, challenges and opportunities that they see for the year of 2019.

The report includes predictions on Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Tech for good, and the following quotes were shared by Prof. Zhang and Prof. Chew:

AI
Companies are developing the next generation of electric cars that employ AI and facial recognition technologies. Some of the new models are priced at levels targeting middle-income populations, thus making broad usage possible. Equipped with self-driving and data-storage capabilities, as well as other intelligent interactive features, these smart cars also enable the development of ancillary products such as personalized insurance. –– Prof. Seen-meng Chew

Practitioners have picked the low-hanging fruit already. So 2019 is unlikely to see any significant new applications of AI. We are likely to see some consolidation of solutions. Winners in each field will become more dominant. –– Prof. Michael Zhang

Tech for Good
Use of IoT and robots/drones will continue to grow, creating brand new issues related to privacy and safety. –– Prof. Michael Zhang

The agency has also disseminated a press release to the media around the world, and so far, more than 20 media pickups has been generated. Among the media coverage, Prof. Chew’s quote was cited by the UK-based Business Weekly in its story “More robots equals more jobs, says tech heavyweight” (PDF) on 4 January 2019; and Engineering.com in its story entitled “Tech Trends 2019: Driverless Cars, Artificial Intelligence & Augmented Reality” (PDF) on 15 January 2019.

About FleishmanHillard

FleishmanHillard specialises in public relations, reputation management, public affairs, brand marketing, digital strategy, social engagement and content strategy. The agency is part of Omnicom Public Relations Group, and has more than 80 offices in 30 countries, plus affiliates in 43 countries.

The post CUHK Business School Professors Share their Predictions for Tech Trends in 2019 appeared first on CUHK Business School.
Send PM
Alumni and Friends Meetup in Singapore [#permalink]
FROM CUHK: Alumni and Friends Meetup in Singapore
Over 50 alumni and students attended the CUHK Business School Alumni and Friends Meetup in Singapore on 23 January 2019. It was great time of learning on the topic of Understanding China’s Business Institutions and Government, as well as an opportunity for networking especially for MBA students who were visiting Singapore during a week-long career trek.

The evening opened up with the sharing of two pieces of abridged research Business School faculty from Prof. Gu Zhaoyang and Prof. Zhang Tianyu, both from the School of Accountancy. Prof. Zhang Tianyu kicked off by sharing about his research that utilizes textual analysis to investigate the role of institutional knowledge in enhancing information advantage of local financial analysts. Prof. Zhang Tianyu investigates the role of media in China’s emerging economy. His research shows how the media reform shapes the media industry, the difference in the information delivered by official and non-official newspapers, and the role of social media in correcting the bias in traditional media. His research also provides evidence on how competitions among politicians influence the movement in stock prices.

Prof. Gu Zhaoyang then dived into the specific role of fund managers and discussed how institutional investors can play a role in analysts’ biased behavior, based on patterns of allocation of commission fees and personal social connections. Stock recommendations of financial analysts are often overly optimistic with the majority of them being ‘Strong Buy’ or ‘Buy’. This is true everywhere but especially in China. A number of explanations have been proposed, such as cultivating relationships with management or obtaining investment banking businesses from the firms. Based on his research, Prof. Gu Zhaoyang discussed how institutional investors can play a role in analysts’ biased behaviours. His study shows evidence that through the allocation of commission fees and personal social connections, mutual fund managers can unduly influence financial analysts in recommending favourably the stocks that the funds have invested in.

The evening ended with a good round of questions from the audience followed by catching-up of old friends and mingling of new ones.

The post Alumni and Friends Meetup in Singapore appeared first on CUHK Business School.
GMAT Club Bot
Alumni and Friends Meetup in Singapore [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22