Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [18]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [2]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
In the late 19th century, when Vassar was a small, recently founded wo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I do not clearly understand the issue with placement of "in a given year". Can anybody explain the issue? Instructors are very Welcome :)

Originally posted by Financier on 12 Nov 2010, 23:05.
Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Jul 2018, 13:43, edited 2 times in total.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Re: In the late 19th century, when Vassar was a small, recent [#permalink]
Kudos
Financier,

"In a given year" is a prepositional modifier (i.e. it's a modifier, and it starts with a preposition.). A prepositional modifier is simply a form of a noun modifier. The rule with noun modifiers, as you may know, is that noun modifiers must touch the noun they are modifying.

I can't go into the specifics of this question, so let's make this a back and forth here. What is "in a given year" supposed to modify? In which answer choices do these two things touch each other? This will help you narrow it down from 5 answer choices.

I'll be here when you reply.

Brett
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: In the late 19th century, when Vassar was a small, recent [#permalink]
Kudos
(A) when Vassar was a small, recently founded women's college, founding professor and astronomer Maria Mitchell taught as many astronomy majors in a given year as there are today, when
(B) when Vassar was a small, recently founded women's college, in a given year, founding professor and astronomer Maria Mitchell taught just as many astronomy majors as there are in a given year today, when
(C) while Vassar was a small, recently founded women's college, founding professor and astronomer Maria Mitchell taught a number of astronomy majors in a given year such as there are today, when
(D) while Vassar was a small, recently founded women's college, founding professor and astronomer Maria Mitchell taught such a number of astronomy majors in a given year as are there today, whereas
(E) when Vassar was a small, recently founded women's college, founding professor and astronomer Maria Mitchell taught a number of astronomy majors just as large in a given year as the number that is there today, while

A is the best. Uses the correct Idiom and correct placement of the modifiers
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618998 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: In the late 19th century, when Vassar was a small, recently founded wo [#permalink]
Expert Reply
hkm_gmat wrote:
In the late 19th century, when Vassar was a small, recently founded women's college, founding professor and astronomer Maria Mitchell taught as many astronomy majors in a given year as there are today, when Vassar is a much larger, co-educational college.

(A) when Vassar was a small, recently founded women's college, founding professor and astronomer Maria Mitchell taught as many astronomy majors in a given year as there are today, when

(B) when Vassar was a small, recently founded women's college, in a given year, founding professor and astronomer Maria Mitchell taught just as many astronomy majors as there are in a given year today, when

(C) while Vassar was a small, recently founded women's college, founding professor and astronomer Maria Mitchell taught a number of astronomy majors in a given year such as there are today, when

(D) while Vassar was a small, recently founded women's college, founding professor and astronomer Maria Mitchell taught such a number of astronomy majors in a given year as are there today, whereas

(E) when Vassar was a small, recently founded women's college, founding professor and astronomer Maria Mitchell taught a number of astronomy majors just as large in a given year as the number that is there today, while

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

A

In a complicated sentence like this, it"s probably best to focus on eliminating wrong answers. There are some wrong phrases that are obvious, for instance, the awkward, unidiomatic ''such a number of Astronomy majors in o given year as there are today," in (D). There's also the confusing "a number of Astronomy majors such as there are today/' in (C). It's unclear what that phrase means, and (C) also begins with the illogical "while." Looking at the other choices,, you see that (B. is both awkward and confusing. The meaning of "as many. ..as there are in a given year today" is unclear, and (6) also makes Mitchell a "founding professor/' whatever that is. (E) has the bizarre locution "a number. ..just as large as the number that is there today." This is both awkward and ungrammatical; "the number that are there" would at least be correct.

Notice how much text is underlined in this sentence. These will only be a few such questions in each section, and they're good ones to ta k a quick guess on if you're pressed for time.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the late 19th century, when Vassar was a small, recently founded wo [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts