Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all Vanderbilt Owen MBA Applicants: 2019 Intake; Class of 2021 [#permalink]
Congratulation! Go Dores!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.84
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Vanderbilt Owen MBA Applicants: 2019 Intake; Class of 2021 [#permalink]
Can someone share Video essay questions? Or preparation tips for that.!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
When I submitted my application it said I had a fee waiver. Don't remember getting notified that I received one. Glad I did but did they waive for everyone?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Bookmarks
I received emails regarding a round 1 and round 2 application fee waiver.

I noticed that fee waivers are not discussed often among different applicant forums, clearadmit, or reddit. Are these fee waivers an easy way for the university to increase the denominator in their acceptance rate calculation? I received waivers from Fuqua, Tepper, Kenan-Flagler, Owen, and Goizueta. I’m unsure if the waiver is an indication of strong candidacy, or if the adcoms are simply forecasting a lower number of organic applicants and would like to increase that number by sacrificing the fee revenue

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 700 Q46 V40
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.53
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
hastee wrote:

I noticed that fee waivers are not discussed often among different applicant forums, clearadmit, or reddit. Are these fee waivers an easy way for the university to increase the denominator in their acceptance rate calculation? I received waivers from Fuqua, Tepper, Kenan-Flagler, Owen, and Goizueta. I’m unsure if the waiver is an indication of strong candidacy, or if the adcoms are simply forecasting a lower number of organic applicants and would like to increase that number by sacrificing the fee revenue

I think it's this as I also got fee wavers from all of those same schools and I know Goizueta was offering a fee waver to everyone who completed their R3 application before the due date.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
I received an unexpected fee waiver, but I think it's because I'm attending the campus visit weekend in early February. It didn't tell me why, though, so I spent a good 10 minutes thinking I'd accidentally designated myself incorrectly in the info sheet.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE:General Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
hastee wrote:

Hey hastee

Would you mind sharing how you got the fee waivers for Kenan-Flagler, and Owen? I could not find specific requirements on either of the websites.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
sushforgmat wrote:
hastee wrote:

Hey hastee

Would you mind sharing how you got the fee waivers for Kenan-Flagler, and Owen? I could not find specific requirements on either of the websites.

Hi,

Specific requirements for application fee waivers are not publicized by the universities. All of the programs that received my GMAT score eventually emailed me with a waiver, except for Tepper. When I submitted my Tepper application for round 2, the fee said “waived” but they had never notified me that I qualified for a waiver.

The policies for fee waivers seem to be different at each school. In addition, schools strive to keep these policies rather veiled. You can imagine a certain candidates may be offended to learn that other candidates received waivers, while some did not.

I believe fee waivers are being used this year because of the declining trend in the number of applications year-over-year. The number of applications and the resulting acceptance rate are very well publicized. These metrics can be perceived as indicators of the program’s quality and prestige. So, if the program directors have a feeling that applications may be down, they seem to be willing to extend fee waivers to increase the number of incoming applications. The loss of revenue would be considered minimal in comparison to the perceived decline in quality if applications were to drop significantly.

Thus, an application fee waiver does not necessarily mean the candidate is in a strong position to be accepted.

Just my thoughts - does that help? Does it make me sound like a conspiracy theorist??

Edit- I scored 730 on the gmat. 3.0 GPA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE:General Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
hastee wrote:
sushforgmat wrote:
hastee wrote:

Hey hastee

Hi,

Specific requirements for application fee waivers are not publicized by the universities. All of the programs that received my GMAT score eventually emailed me with a waiver, except for Tepper. When I submitted my Tepper application for round 2, the fee said “waived” but they had never notified me that I qualified for a waiver.

The policies for fee waivers seem to be different at each school. In addition, schools strive to keep these policies rather veiled. You can imagine a certain candidates may be offended to learn that other candidates received waivers, while some did not.

I believe fee waivers are being used this year because of the declining trend in the number of applications year-over-year. The number of applications and the resulting acceptance rate are very well publicized. These metrics can be perceived as indicators of the program’s quality and prestige. So, if the program directors have a feeling that applications may be down, they seem to be willing to extend fee waivers to increase the number of incoming applications. The loss of revenue would be considered minimal in comparison to the perceived decline in quality if applications were to drop significantly.

Thus, an application fee waiver does not necessarily mean the candidate is in a strong position to be accepted.

Just my thoughts - does that help? Does it make me sound like a conspiracy theorist??

Edit- I scored 730 on the gmat. 3.0 GPA

Haha. I asked this to get fee waivers for myself as the fee is a tad bit too high when you convert it into Indian Rupees.
I agree that an application fee waiver mean in no way that the candidate is in a strong position. For e.g. simon gives fee waivers if you attend their webinars.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
bobthebuilder14 wrote:
Hello,

I received an admit from Vanderbilt on 7th December, with a $40K scholarship. Extremely happy, since it'll be a huge burden off in terms of expenses.

Cheers!

Hi! Quick question. Was the $40k per session? Or for the two years.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is r3 a good decision to apply? Is it tough to clear in R3. To be frank , my score was low and in the process of studying I missed the deadlines.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
Kudos
Had my skype Interview with Consuela yesterday (jan 17). Submitted my application R2 deadline (jan 9), invited to interview jan 14.
Interview was very conversational, lasted about 45mins total and had the usual elements: 1)background, why mba and career goals 2) what skills and experiences will help you succeed in chosen career 3)why Owen 4) time of demonstrated leadership 5) contributions to owen community 6) tell me about your country 7)any questions for me.
My advice is not to get lost in the conversation but remember your key points/answers to these questions.
No rolling decisions according to her; all decisions will be made on the decision deadline day (i guess march 8 for R2 applicants)
Goodluck to everyone here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Does Vanderbilt typically send out interview invitations, or is the candidate expected to make their own appointment on the Owen website? I'd like to think that I would be invited for an interview, but I have not heard from Owen since submitting on January 9th.

Thank you for your interview report!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Had my interview on Wednesday (Jan. 16) in person and it was a mess. 5 minutes into the interview the fire alarm went off and didn't shut off until 2 minutes before the interview ended. So along with the two of us getting constantly interrupted by the alarm, we were interrupted by the person on the intercom updating us about the alarm and the horde of people evacuating from the upper floors (we were on the first floor). By the end of the interview the two of us just looked at each other because we had both had enough haha

Originally posted by eton123 on 18 Jan 2019, 07:11.
Last edited by eton123 on 18 Jan 2019, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
hastee wrote:
Does Vanderbilt typically send out interview invitations, or is the candidate expected to make their own appointment on the Owen website? I'd like to think that I would be invited for an interview, but I have not heard from Owen since submitting on January 9th.

Thank you for your interview report!

I think interview invites are sent out on rolling basis. Just a handful of invites out so far looking at the various forums so I am sure it's still early days yet.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Can anyone tell me how you approached the video essay question?

MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
eton123 wrote:
Had my interview on Wednesday (Jan. 16) in person and it was a mess. 5 minutes into the interview the fire alarm went off and didn't shut off until 2 minutes before the interview ended. So along with the two of us getting constantly interrupted by the alarm, we were interrupted by the person on the intercom updating us about the alarm and the horde of people evacuating from the upper floors (we were on the first floor). By the end of the interview the two of us just looked at each other because we had both had enough haha

eton123

I wonder why you didn't leave the building :) Anyway, did you thought of a re-interview?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
workout wrote:
eton123 wrote:

eton123

I wonder why you didn't leave the building :) Anyway, did you thought of a re-interview?

I actually work in the same building I had the interview in because my building has a hotel connected to it and that's where my interviewer stayed the night before so I know how the fire alarm procedure works. If one of the 40+ floors of the building has a "fire issue" (usually it ends up being a copy machine that just starts smoking) they still set off the fire alarm in the entire building and the intercom announcements go through the entire building but only the people on the floor with the actual problem (and usually a couple floors above and below) have to evacuate which is why the first floor my interview took place didn't have to evacuate but we were constantly having groups of people who did have to evacuate walk past us.

Yeah I thought about another interview but it's not gonna happen. Whats done is done :(
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts