Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Medicare, the United States government’s health insurance program for [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi, I watched your videos on SC and they got me thinking ... whether in B, D, and E "the costs" relate the costs that are really intended here. I think "the costs" refer back to "the full cost of home health care" - are they? I mean that such a meaning doesn't make sense, but to me the structure seems to imply that. You may also wonder why I don't think that the same is true for A and C. Honestly, I don't have a strong case. For C, I guess that that modifier "for which" connects the idea that we're talking about the costs for nonhospital services. As for A, not sure.

Thanks

You answered your own question, jawele! In (B) and (D), "the costs" aren't specified. Do they refer to to the total costs? Just the costs of nonhospital services? There's no way to know, and the ambiguity is problematic - we can't be expected to read the writer's mind.

As you noted, in (C) the phrase "for which" must refer to the nonhospital services, so we know precisely what costs we're talking about.

In (A), the phrase "nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries" is incoherent. It sounds as though "nonhospital services" is a physical location where patients go to pay their bills! That doesn't make any sense. So (C) is the only option with a clear, logical meaning.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Medicare, the United States government’s health insurance program for [#permalink]
I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned that there's a problem with choice C) too:

The first two times that cost occurs in the sentence, it's followed by of. But at the end of choice C), we're now talking about costs for. In other words, if we rearrange the relative clause, we have:

Beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs for nonhospital services.

Clearly of would be preferable here, along with the singular cost, especially in light of what came before. Anyway, I can still agree that C) is the best answer, but it's not without fault either. This question is just another case of picking the least bad answer. I don't really think it's such a great question myself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 211
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
hi DmitryFarber

Need some expert advice here

do "for which" and "which" have the same function i.e. modifying the immediately preceding word.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nums99 That's right. Any modifier of the form "preposition + which" will still refer to the preceding noun.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1120
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Fuqua '24 (A)
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
rohansherry wrote:
Medicare, the United States government’s health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

A. but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

B. but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

C . but not of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs.

D. which is unlike other nonhospital services in that 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

E. which is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

GMATNinja karishma DmitryFarber

What's wrong with D and E? Why the use of "which is unlike X" is wrong? Is it comparing "home health care" with "nonhospital services"? If so, is that wrong? Tks :)
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Will2020 Yes, the "which" modifier generally applies to the preceding noun, so both D and E are saying that home health care is unlike other nonhospital services. We might certainly argue that this is inherently wrong. The difference seems to be in what the provider will pay, not in the services themselves. However, there are specific flaws in both D and E.

D) Notice that this modifier is supposed to refer back to "home health care." It's saying that it's different from others in that 20% must be paid. However, we've just been told that the full cost is covered. This is contradictory. We can't take this modifier and apply it to the other services mentioned within the modifier.

E) First, this implies that the SERVICES THEMSELVES make beneficiaries pay 20%. Surely Medicare is doing this. Second, the essential modifier (THAT) serves to narrow down which services we're talking about, not to show a difference. In other words, it's saying "home health care is different from the services that make you pay 20%," but it's not clarifying that this payment amount IS the difference. This matters, since I might say "I'm different from my friends who went away to college IN THAT I was able to save a lot of money." In other words, the part that says "who went away to college" is just clarifying WHO I'm different from, not HOW I'm different. Similarly, "that make beneficiaries pay" is showing WHICH other nonhospital services we're comparing home health care to, but it doesn't yet clarify WHAT the difference is.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
rohansherry wrote:
Medicare, the United States government’s health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

A. but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

B. but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

C . but not of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs.

D. which is unlike other nonhospital services in that 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

E. which is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

hi! I can't figure out what's wrong with B. The ing modifier after comma modifies the previous clause and agrees with the subject. Also there is no ambiguity because its already mentioned that medicare covers the full cost of home health care, so 20% cost should refer to non hospital only. Please help IanStewart DmitryFarber GMATNinja
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Answer B has a dangling modifier, as I read it. I'm not sure logically what the "making" can refer to. But even if B made some sense, we want the best answer, and C is better. There's no need reading C to even think about what refers to what.

If you see two answers to an SC question that both seem good at first read, and one contains -ing modifiers and the other doesn't, I suspect you'll be right a considerable majority of the time (but not always) if you choose the answer that avoids the -ing modifiers. I'd be curious if other SC experts agree with that, though.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
rohansherry wrote:

hi! I can't figure out what's wrong with B. The ing modifier after comma modifies the previous clause and agrees with the subject. Also there is no ambiguity because its already mentioned that medicare covers the full cost of home health care, so 20% cost should refer to non hospital only. Please help IanStewart DmitryFarber GMATNinja

I think IanStewart (hi, Ian!) is spot-on here, as usual. If one answer choice contains a modifier that creates a confusing meaning, and the other contains a modifier whose role is crystal clear, you don't need more than that to justify picking the clearer alternative.

That said, I might go a little further on why (B) is incorrect. Typically, when an "-ing" modifier follows a full clause and a comma, the modifier will describe that previous clause, providing context or offering a consequence for the previous action.

The main clause in (B), with the modifiers stripped out, is: "Medicare covers the full cost of home health care." If "making beneficiaries pay 20% of the costs" modifies that clause, it sounds as though Medicare is covering the cost... by passing the cost on to beneficiaries! (Thanks, but no thanks, Medicare!) So we have a logic problem.

Now, you might argue that you can figure out what the author means if you reinsert the modifiers, but then the "-ing" is no longer modifying the clause's main verb, "covers." So then, what is it doing? At the very least, we're now back to Ian's point about the difficulty of understanding the role of "making," thus making (B) a problematic option. (See what I did there?)

I hope that helps a bit!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
in choice b, "the cost" is unclear. 20 percent of which cost. this is unclear. in choice C, "for which" make it clear that the benificiary pay 20 percent of the cost for nonhospital services.

I think "the cost of nonhospital service" is better and "of which" makes it more easy for us to realize the meaning. because "for which" is used, we can not understand the meaning
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Medicare, the United States governments health insurance program for [#permalink]
I'm really struggling to understand the incorrect modifier in B. Could someone explain what phrase "making...costs" modifies and what phrase it should be modifying instead?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: Medicare, the United States governments health insurance program for [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
studymaestro12 wrote:
I'm really struggling to understand the incorrect modifier in B. Could someone explain what phrase "making...costs" modifies and what phrase it should be modifying instead?

Here's the (B) version simplified.

Medicare ... covers the full cost of home health care, but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

The phrase "making ..." modifies everything that precedes it, and there's no issue with its modifying what precedes it. That modification is perfectly logical. After all, it could be logical to say that Medicare covers x, but not y, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

The issue with the modifier is that what "20 percent of the costs" refers to is not clear. Is it "20 percent of the costs" of "home health care" and "other nonhospital services," or is just "20 percent of the costs" of "other nonhospital services." The sentence does not clearly indicate which it is.

You could think about it this way. If you were to see that sentence in an important email about costs, you'd have to write back to the sender to ask for confirmation regarding what he or she means. So, the sentence does not effectively convey its meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
rohansherry wrote:

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care but does not cover the full cost of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Verb Forms + Modifiers + Parallelism + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• Any elements linked by a conjunction ("but" in this case) must be parallel.
• "where" is only used to refer to a physical location.
• The introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “making” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.
• "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refers to the noun just before the comma.

A: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "of home health care" and "with other nonhospital services"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("but" in this case) must be parallel. Further, Option A incorrectly refers to "nonhospital services" with "where"; please remember, "where" is only used to refer to a physical location. Additionally, Option A uses the passive voice construction "20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs"; the use of the "comma + present participle ("verb+ing" - "making" in this sentence)" construction incorrectly implies that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care but does not cover the full cost of other nonhospital services, and as a result makes beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs; the intended meaning is that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care but does not cover the full cost of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs; please remember, the introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “making” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

C: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to "other nonhospital services" with "for which...costs" - conveying the intended meaning - that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care, but it does not cover the full cost of other nonhospital services, and for these services, beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs. Further, Option C correctly maintains parallelism between "of home health care" and "of other nonhospital services". Additionally, Option C avoids the incorrect usage of "where" seen in Option A, as it does not utilize "where". Besides, Option C is free of any awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to "full cost of home health care" with "which is unlike...other beneficiaries", illogically implying that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care, and this cost is unlike other nonhospital services in that beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of this cost; the intended meaning is that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care, but it does not cover the full cost of other nonhospital services, and beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs for other nonhospital services; remember, "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma. Further, Option D uses the passive voice construction "20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice incorrectly refers to "full cost of home health care" with "which is unlike...costs", illogically implying that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care, and this cost is unlike the other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of their costs; the intended meaning is that Medicare covers the full cost of home health care, but it does not cover the full cost of other nonhospital services, and beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs for other nonhospital services; remember, "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Comma + Present Participle for Cause-Effect Relationship" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

can you elaborate on why a) is not parallel?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30792 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Schachfreizeit wrote:

Hello Schachfreizeit,

Hope you are doing well. I will be glad to help you with this one. :)

Well, grammatically, one may say that "of home health care" and "with other nonhospital services" are parallel because they both are prepositional phrases. However, the use of "with" in the second phrase is incorrect because the phrase "the full cost with other nonhospital services" is incorrect. So, the use of "with" is erroneous in Choice A.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Schachfreizeit wrote:

Hello Schachfreizeit,

Well, grammatically, one may say that "of home health care" and "with other nonhospital services" are parallel because they both are prepositional phrases. However, the use of "with" in the second phrase is incorrect because the phrase "the full cost with other nonhospital services" is incorrect. So, the use of "with" is erroneous in Choice A.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks! But that still doesn't explain the parallelism error...
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Schachfreizeit wrote:
egmat wrote:
Schachfreizeit wrote:

Hello Schachfreizeit,

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hello Schachfreizeit,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the error here is that the prepositional phrase "with other nonhospital services" does not logically fit the phrase "covers the full cost of home health care".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Schachfreizeit wrote:

I'm not sure if the replies above have answered your question, but if not, we have a sentence that begins, simplifying:

Medicare covers the cost of X, but not...

and we need to say "of Y" (not "with Y") at the end if we want to maintain strict parallelism with "of X".

Strict parallelism isn't always required, though, and we need to use "of" here for a more important reason -- we need "of" to ensure the sentence is meaningful. It doesn't make sense to say "Medicare does not cover the cost with some services".
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts