Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [8]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: The number of applications for admission reported by North American Ph [#permalink]
Hello VeritasKarishma Ma'am,

Could you please help me with my logic here? I chose option E over option B

Option B:
It says that the age has increased, well if age has increased then it might be a possibility that less number of people are applying and it seems as a potential weakener.

Option E:
As per the option, it says the percentage of Non North-Americans in the application process has decreased.

Now adding the fact each year number of people in PhD are decreasing and percentage of non-natives are decreasing, we see that higher proportion of native people are applying in the program, which I think we can infer as that it might be same or less number of natives are applying ( is this a valid inference, or there is any flaw?)

Based on this we can't weaken the conclusion that nterest among recent North American college and university graduates in choosing art history as a career has declined in the last four years. right?

Regards,
Rishav
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: The number of applications for admission reported by North American Ph [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I'll attempt to answer this, I believe the answer is (B) as stated as the official and here's why.

The argument we are refering to is the following "interest among recent North American college and university graduates in choosing art history as a career has declined in the last four years"

(A) This weakens the argument as it serves as a potential reason why applicant numbers may be falling. If fewer schools report their numbers, it will appear like fewer people are applying. Therefore this is incorrect.

(B) This one states the average age of applicants has increased. Now, just because the average age of applicants has increased does not make up for the reduced numbers we're seeing. Just because applicants are getting older does not mean fewer will apply. When you think about it logically, a different demographic of people are applying to the programs, this tells us nothing about the number of people applying. This is a strong answer at the moment in my opinion as it does NOT weaken the argument.

(C) This weakens the argument as it suggest there are discrepancies in the applicant data that is being received. These discrepancies could go both ways (e.g. overinflate numbers or underestimate numbers) however as there is reason to doubt the initial argument it does serve to weaken it. Therefore this is incorrect.

(D) This weakens the argument as it gives an alternate explanation as to why people are not pursuing PhDs in art history. If they are no longer required for a lot of jobs, people won't bother doing them hence the decrease in numbers. Therefore this is incorrect.

(E) This also weakens the argument however is a little bit more tricky to see. Initially, one may look at this and think it is the right answer but rest assured it does weaken the argument. The statement claims that fewer international students are applying. The argument in the stem does not mention anything relating to the make up of these programs (American vs International students) therefore we have reason to believe that the fall in program numbers is because fewer international students are applying. This question does not explicitly state that North american applications are falling instead it assumes that is true in the argument. Therefore this is incorrect.

As we are just left with (B) I am confident in saying that this is the answer.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I am always looking to learn :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
rish2708 wrote:
Hello VeritasKarishma Ma'am,

Could you please help me with my logic here? I chose option E over option B

Option B:
It says that the age has increased, well if age has increased then it might be a possibility that less number of people are applying and it seems as a potential weakener.

Option E:
As per the option, it says the percentage of Non North-Americans in the application process has decreased.

Now adding the fact each year number of people in PhD are decreasing and percentage of non-natives are decreasing, we see that higher proportion of native people are applying in the program, which I think we can infer as that it might be same or less number of natives are applying ( is this a valid inference, or there is any flaw?)

Based on this we can't weaken the conclusion that nterest among recent North American college and university graduates in choosing art history as a career has declined in the last four years. right?

Regards,
Rishav

The percentage of applications for admission received from outside North America by North American Ph.D. programs in art history has declined substantially in the last four years. This essentially means that outside graduates are less interested in the Ph.D programs relative to American graduates. This does not mean that interest of American graduates has decreased. Rather, this decreased interest of outside graduates is reflected in overall decrease in applications. Hence, it weakens.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 610 Q48 V25
Send PM
The number of applications for admission reported by North American Ph [#permalink]
Gladiator59 wrote:
The number of applications for admission reported by North American Ph.D. programs in art history has declined in each of the last four years.We can conclude from this that interest among recent North American college and university graduates in choosing art history as a career has declined in the last four years.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument EXCEPT:

(A) The number of North American Ph.D. programs in art history that opted to report data about applications for admission has declined in each of the last four years.
(B) The average age of applicants for admission to North American Ph.D. programs in art history has increased in each of the last four years.
(C) The number of errors in data about applications for admission to North American Ph.D. programs in art history has increased substantially during the last four years.
(D) The number of North American employers willing to hire individuals without a Ph.D. for jobs in art history has increased in each of the last four years.
(E) The percentage of applications for admission received from outside North America by North American Ph.D. programs in art history has declined substantially in the last four years.

Hi

I totally agree that answer to this question is option B.
But I was not able to eliminate option E confidently.

Now we should always remember that increase/decrease in percentage may not mean increase/decrease in number .
Now in option E, we know that the percentage of international applicants applying to Phd programs had declined.
This may or may not mean that the number has declined.
Hence I feel that option E is also a contender.

Can someone point out why exactly is then option E incorrect?

Gladiator59
nightblade354
chetan2u
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31894 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
nitesh50 wrote:
Gladiator59 wrote:
The number of applications for admission reported by North American Ph.D. programs in art history has declined in each of the last four years.We can conclude from this that interest among recent North American college and university graduates in choosing art history as a career has declined in the last four years.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument EXCEPT:

(A) The number of North American Ph.D. programs in art history that opted to report data about applications for admission has declined in each of the last four years.
(B) The average age of applicants for admission to North American Ph.D. programs in art history has increased in each of the last four years.
(C) The number of errors in data about applications for admission to North American Ph.D. programs in art history has increased substantially during the last four years.
(D) The number of North American employers willing to hire individuals without a Ph.D. for jobs in art history has increased in each of the last four years.
(E) The percentage of applications for admission received from outside North America by North American Ph.D. programs in art history has declined substantially in the last four years.

Hi

I totally agree that answer to this question is option B.
But I was not able to eliminate option E confidently.

Now we should always remember that increase/decrease in percentage may not mean increase/decrease in number .
Now in option E, we know that the percentage of international applicants applying to Phd programs had declined.
This may or may not mean that the number has declined.
Hence I feel that option E is also a contender.

Can someone point out why exactly is then option E incorrect?

Gladiator59
nightblade354
chetan2u

Hi..

Here what is this % of? The % talked is of total strength applying for art history.
Now people from outside constituted of a bigger share than now of people from outside.

So it is possible that, say, earlier there were 200, out of which 40% were outsiders so 60% or 120 local applicants.
Now, the applicant strength has gone down to 150 but the % of outsiders has also gone down to 20%, so now 80% or 120 again are locals.

So this gives us a reason to believe that the strength that has gone down COULD be due to the lesser % of outsiders.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts