Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4556 [16]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Schools: Haas '19
Send PM
Re: Astrophysicist: Gamma ray bursts (GRBs)-explosions of powerful [#permalink]
puneetstud wrote:
(C) Properties other than duration are more important than duration in the proper classification of the unusual GRB.

Why the new properties have to be more important than duration?

Because this assumption allowed the author to conclude that now with new properties, that is more important, old classifications, "short" and "long" are no more valid.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Send PM
Quote:
Astrophysicist: Gamma ray bursts (GRBs) -explosions of powerful radiation from deep space - have traditionally been classified as either "short'' or "long," terms that reflect the explosion's relative duration. However, an unusual GRB has been sighted. Its duration was long, but in every other respect it had the properties of a short GRB. Clearly, the descriptive labels "short" and "long" have now outlived their usefulness.

Gist:
1. We can categorize all GRB's into short GRB's or long GRB's.
2. But what about an unusual long GRB with some other properties(properties other than duration of the explosion) similar to a short GRB? In which category should we place it?
Well, its a long GRB so clearly we can place it in 'long' category. But the author says we cannot do that. Why? Obviously these some other properties also should be taken into consideration while categorizing unusual GRB's. This is the logical gap in the passage.
Hence the Conclusion: The descriptive labels "short" and "long" are no longer useful.

Quote:
The conclusion of the astrophysicist's argument is most strongly supported if which one of the following is assumed?

(A)
Quote:
No other GRBs with unusual properties have been sighted.

The topic of discussion is how to categorize the one unusual GRB detected. It does not matter if no other unusual GRBs are detected or not.
Quote:
(B) The classification of GRBs can sometimes be made on the basis of duration alone.

This is telling us nothing about the unusual GRB.
Quote:
(C) Properties other than duration are more important than duration in the proper classification of the unusual GRB

In line with the prethinking.
Quote:
(D) GRBs cannot be classified according to the different types of cosmic events that create them.

out of scope
Quote:
(E) Descriptive labels are easily replaced with nondescriptive labels such as "type I'' and "type II."

Even if nondescriptive labels are used, how will we categorize the unusual GRB. The question still remains.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 233
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
The conclusion states that the descriptive labels "short" and "long" have outlived their usefulness.

Option C states that certain properties are more important than duration for unusual GRBs.

Isn't this option incomplete to become the answer?

While the descriptive labels in the discussion might have become obsolete for unusual GRBs they still may serve a purpose for an average GRB.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Astrophysicist: Gamma ray bursts (GRBs)-explosions of powerful [#permalink]
Kudos
Following Nightblade354 advise to push my CR skills beyond the limits, I'll post an extensive analysis of this question, explaining the initial thoughts on the stimulus and the reasons why I reject four options and choose one as the winner :). I beieve this is one of the best ways to improve in CR. Don't just do questions, but try to extract as much as possible from each of them. I think doing blind review help a lot in doing so (more about blind review here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mod-nightbla ... 95316.html)

Here is the stimulus: Astrophysicist: Gamma ray bursts (GRBs) -explosions of powerful radiation from deep space - have traditionally been classified as either "short'' or "long," terms that reflect the explosion's relative duration. However, an unusual GRB has been sighted. Its duration was long, but in every other respect it had the properties of a short GRB. Clearly, the descriptive labels "short" and "long" have now outlived their usefulness.

1º Premise: GRBs classified as short/long. This defines duration
2º Premises: Unusual GRB spotted. it was a long one but with the characteristics of a short
Conclusion: short-long labels should be over

Initial thoughts: GRBs have been classified as short or long because it is the term that defines how long the GRB is. But wait, why should they be classified by duration. Is it the only difference between the two types? Not only difference, but the most important one perhaps? mmm. I don't know, let's keep reading. mmm ok. I understand now. There are more properties as to which GRBs are defined, but durations seems to be the most important one. They saw a GRB whose duration was long, but all the other properties were short. OK. So I understand that the conclusion is that GRBs should be classified not in terms of duration.

But wait. What if the one spotted was an outlier? What if 99.9% of GRBs should be classified as short-long because this classifications works? An outlier should break down the terminology that GRBs used to have? mmm I don't think so. The option should give me a good reason why this terminology should be over. Maybe they discovered that other properties are more important or that are able to differentiate better the two types of GRBs. This should be enough. Let's read options having this in mind.

(A) No other GRBs with unusual properties have been sighted.

No other unusual GRBs have been sigthed. Ok, fair enough. This sounds good. This argument says that this is an outlier and could indicate that labels are still good. But hey!. We want actually the opposite. We want to steghtne the argument why the labels should be different and not why they should still be the same. So this is Weakness!. Incorrect

(B) The classification of GRBs can sometimes be made on the basis of duration alone.

This option weakens the argument. If the classification should be made on the basis of duration alone, why would the author conclude the opposite? Incorrect

(C) Properties other than duration are more important than duration in the proper classification of the unusual GRB.

I like this one. It says that other properties are more important. If so, definitely, the author is right in saying that the short-long labels are over!. This is definitely more assertive than option A)!. Keep it!

(D) GRBs cannot be classified according to the different types of cosmic events that create them.

This is out of scope. It doesn't address why the short/long labels should be over. Incorrect

(E) Descriptive labels are easily replaced with nondescriptive labels such as "type I'' and "type II."

Non descriptive? But I think we want labels that describe the different GRBs. Option C is much much better

OPTION C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 706 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Astrophysicist: Gamma ray bursts (GRBs) -explosions of powerful radiation from deep space - have traditionally been classified as either "short'' or "long," terms that reflect the explosion's relative duration. However, an unusual GRB has been sighted. Its duration was long, but in every other respect it had the properties of a short GRB. Clearly, the descriptive labels "short" and "long" have now outlived their usefulness.

The conclusion of the astrophysicist's argument is most strongly supported if which one of tbe following is assumed?

Pre-thinking:
Lets recap:
Some rays are classified in 2 ways: long and short. L&S refer to the duration
But now we have been presented with a long ray which has features similar to those of the short ray.
We are asked to find an assumption that supports the conclusion and the conclusion is that the current classification is not useful anymore.

An assumption is that in order to examine rays there are also other factors that are as/more useful as/than the duration.

(A) No other GRBs with unusual properties have been sighted.
This weakens the conclusion. Hence incorrect

sometimes is a vague term that could mean 1 time, 2 times..... all times. Since this choice does not have a clear impact on the argument it is incorrect

In line with pre-thinking. Hence correct

Completely out of scope. Hence incorrect

Completely out of scope. Hence incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM
Astrophysicist: Gamma ray bursts (GRBs)-explosions of powerful [#permalink]
If you negate -C) Properties other than duration are NOT more important than duration in the proper classification of the unusual GRB- then you can see that the argument falls apart, so this one is the correct answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts