Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [27]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [11]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4545 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: With American cryptanalysts breaking the Japanese code, the Japanese I [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
If you look at how "strategic" and "strategically" are used in the various answer choices, you can pick the correct answer here. If you say someone "strategically lost", that means losing was a strategy that person was using. So you might say a pool hustler "strategically lost her first game to make other players think she was worse at pool than she truly was". That's something someone might do as a strategy to gain a larger advantage later on. But here, Japan did not "strategically lose the element of surprise"; that wasn't a tactical choice on their part. Instead they lost the "strategic element of surprise". This correctly conveys the meaning that the "element of surprise" is what is strategic in this sentence.

Answers A and D are the only answers that use "strategic" correctly, but answer A is not a sentence (there is no main clause), so D must be right.

And the question should say 'cryptanalyst', not 'cryptanalysist' (that's not a word!).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: With American cryptanalysts breaking the Japanese code, the Japanese I [#permalink]
"lost strategically" and strategic element have 2 different meanings.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Quote:
D. Because American cryptanalysts had broken the Japanese code, the Japanese Imperial Fleet lost the strategic element of surprise at Midway, allowing

Based on the post by e-gmat on VERB-ING MODIFIERS:
Quote:
verb-ing modifiers are made from “verbs” and they denote action. Now, any action needs a doer. In the same way, the verb-ing modifiers also associated with the subjects of the preceding clause. What we must keep in mind is that the action denoted by verb-ing must make sense with the subject of the clause. The use of verb-ing is correct only if it makes sense with the subject of the clause it is modifying.

From what I understand, this means that in option D, the Japanese Imperial Fleet should be the doer of the action allowing. However, it is the loosing of the surprise that "allowed" American Fleet to ambush. Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
@Thoma

The critical point is that of the Japanese army's losing the element of surprise that allowed the US to outsmart the Japanese. The citing of the Japanese is meant to clarify whose loss it was. When it is somebody's loss, it is not logical to conclude the loser himself caused his loss deliberately. In a do or die war, why would the Japanese army
want to lose its secrecy code and pave the way for a US victory?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [1]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Kudos
SajjadAhmad wrote:
With American cryptanalysts breaking the Japanese code, the Japanese Imperial Fleet losing the strategic element of surprise at Midway, which allowed the American Fleet to ambush the Japanese and win a decisive victory.

A. With American cryptanalysts breaking the Japanese code, the Japanese Imperial Fleet losing the strategic element of surprise at Midway, which allowed
B. With American cryptanalysts breaking the Japanese code, the Japanese Imperial Fleet strategically lost the element of surprise at Midway, and this allowed

with + [noun] + [participle] on GMAT Sentence Correction

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 896
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Although I am convinced that there should be a past perfect tense, can someone explain as to what is 'allowing' modifying here ? Is it modifying the act of Japan loosing the strategic element ? And is used to express the 'Effect' of that action ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gokul20 wrote:
Although I am convinced that there should be a past perfect tense, can someone explain as to what is 'allowing' modifying here ? Is it modifying the act of Japan loosing the strategic element ? And is used to express the 'Effect' of that action ?
Hi Gokul20,

I think you're right: the allowing seems to be for the entire clause before it.

... the Japanese Imperial Fleet lost the strategic element of surprise at Midway, allowing...
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Gokul20 wrote:
Hi Gokul20,

I think you're right: the allowing seems to be for the entire clause before it.

... the Japanese Imperial Fleet lost the strategic element of surprise at Midway, allowing...

AjiteshArun
Don't you think, although "allowing" does show results of the previous clause it does not make sense with the doer of the modified clause, which is a necessary condition for the correct usage of verb-ing modifiers? Japanese army did not do the act of allowing the attack. So, is the usage of verb-ing correct here?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nikhilongc wrote:
AjiteshArun
Don't you think, although "allowing" does show results of the previous clause it does not make sense with the doer of the modified clause, which is a necessary condition for the correct usage of verb-ing modifiers? Japanese army did not do the act of allowing the attack. So, is the usage of verb-ing correct here?

Hi nikhilongc,

I believe that the rule you're trying to apply holds normally. That is, in many cases where participles are used. I wouldn't, however, call it a necessary condition. It does make sense to say that the loss of the element of surprise by the JIF was what allowed something, so I don't see any problems in this construction.

That said, it'd be great to see other opinions on this, because it seems that your sources(s) may have presented this as an absolute rule.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Is the usage "Because of the American cryptanalysts" correct? Is there any sentence in which the usage of "because of" correct?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
punith0894 wrote:
Is the usage "Because of the American cryptanalysts" correct? Is there any sentence in which the usage of "because of" correct?

We can use 'because of' as a two word preposition and hence, it requires a noun after it.

I like him because of his sincerity. (Works. The reason for my liking is his sincerity)
'because of' typically means 'as a result of'
We rescheduled the match because of rain. (Works)

'Because' needs a clause.
I like him because he is sincere. (Works)
We rescheduled the match because it started raining. (Works)

Because of the American cryptanalysts breaking the Japanese code ...
The reason is not 'American cryptanalysts.' The reason is that 'American cryptanalysts broke the Japanese code'. Hence, it is better to use a clause here 'because American cryptanalysts broke the Japanese code...'
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts