Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [35]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GRE 1: Q303 V304
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: 10 Things Not to Do at the Test Center [#permalink]
Kudos
You will find a water dispenser in the common area, right outside the test room. No food or drinks are allowed in the test room.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Kudos
Something I found frustrating that people should probably keep in mind: Palm vein scanning sometimes takes a few tries.. At my latest test, the scanner had some issues and it took about 2 min longer than usual. Since this wasn't an issue when I took my first test, I was in the common room taking my break up until the 6min mark of the break, not expecting the scanner to act up at that time. Since the vein scanning took so much time, I ended up having a few minutes deducted from one of my sections... :(

My advice: Aim to take breaks under 5 min if you don't want to lose time on the 2nd and 3rd sections of the exam.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
yukidaruma wrote:
Something I found frustrating that people should probably keep in mind: Palm vein scanning sometimes takes a few tries.. At my latest test, the scanner had some issues and it took about 2 min longer than usual. Since this wasn't an issue when I took my first test, I was in the common room taking my break up until the 6min mark of the break, not expecting the scanner to act up at that time. Since the vein scanning took so much time, I ended up having a few minutes deducted from one of my sections... :(

My advice: Aim to take breaks under 5 min if you don't want to lose time on the 2nd and 3rd sections of the exam.

Yes, I had the exact same problem. When I arrived, the whole process needed to be repeated (scans, photo, signature), and on my 2nd break (it was a bit longer than the 1st one as I got really hungry lol) the scanner acted up and I lost some time from my 3rd section. It was not even about that extra 1, or 2 minutes, but on top of that you can expect that your marker will not write properly right away, and also, you're just starting it in a stressed and nervous state of mind, which is very detrimental.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Kudos
Dreya wrote:
It was not even about that extra 1, or 2 minutes, but on top of that you can expect that your marker will not write properly right away, and also, you're just starting it in a stressed and nervous state of mind, which is very detrimental.

THIS. Even something so small can feel really stressful on test day.

Also, my pen did run out of ink in the middle of my Quant section... Which caused more stress and time deduction :sad:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
I know it's silly but remember to always check your passport for any stray paper before entering the test center. I have once carried paper currency in my passport, unknowingly of course, to the test center. It's presence was discovered by moderator during the last break to which I responded casually by handing over currency note (read singular) to the moderator.

I was handed the currency note as I came out of the testing center. All good until now.

Fast forward to 10 days, I received a mail from Pearson security that my score was forfeited as I have carried currency (Read charts on pages 17 and 18 of the GMAT Handbook) into the test center. 2 hours of brain fade followed after which I have advocated my innocence in a letter to Pearson security clearly explaining the circumstances while pointing towards video evidence of my actions during the exam.

A week later, I received the news. Common sense prevailed. The good guys at GMAC responded positively to my appeal although they could cancel my scores by simply reiterating Terms & Conditions of the exam. My score was reinstated.

PS: This was my 2nd attempt at GMAT. Scored 710 after a poor 560 during my 1st attempt.

TLDR: Passport and clothes. Nothing else into the test center.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
The GRE General Test includes an optional 10-minute break after the third section and one-minute breaks between the remaining sections of the test. These break times cannot be exceeded. You are required to remain in the test center building or in the immediate area. You are not permitted to go outside the test center building unless it is to use the restroom during the test administration, including breaks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Just took the exam and after scoring well on all my practice exams, got a bloody 570 :( very sad and frustrated.

Did learn a lesson though: the lesser the number of pockets, the better. I had a shirt pocket and multiple pant pockets and just going through and emptying them out every time took so much valuable time away.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164
Send PM
strivingFor800 wrote:
Just took the exam and after scoring well on all my practice exams, got a bloody 570 :( very sad and frustrated.

Did learn a lesson though: the lesser the number of pockets, the better. I had a shirt pocket and multiple pant pockets and just going through and emptying them out every time took so much valuable time away.

what is "scoring well"? in my experience, a +/- of about 30 points seems normal

i agree with you about the pockets. i had a lot of pockets i didn't even realize i had until i got my pat down
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
maayo wrote:
strivingFor800 wrote:

what is "scoring well"? in my experience, a +/- of about 30 points seems normal

i agree with you about the pockets. i had a lot of pockets i didn't even realize i had until i got my pat down

700+. My practice exams range from 720-770 so a 200 point drop isn’t normal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
can anyone please tell me how is Rotman (toronto university) for Mba, i have been average student throughout my career so the scores like 730-750 i aint even expecting them so anyone who could please tell me whether rotman is a decent place to study?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
Kudos
bb you're doing a great work for our help. Thanks for maintaining quality at Club.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
On Rule 2
Testing aids, such as calculators, notes, or study guides, blank sheets of paper, stop watches, etc are not allowed at any time in the test center. This means - you cannot even bring them to the test center!

Are you allowed a watch in the test room. My computer clock definitely malfunctioned and stop watches are not allowed, but is a normal wrist watch allowed so that I know when I am starting and ending?

Also - If I do or do not take the 8 minutes break, am I allowed to sit at the console during that time and not get up?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks, I didn't know most of the points you mentioned.
Also, Can anyone suggest me good and average MBA in Digital Marketing college in Toronto
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks, this is super helpful. I hadn't considered these sorts of things for the day of the test -- very useful.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Quick (may be stupid) Question: is it okay to wear shorts and tshirts? (Obviously decent enough)

Just want to be comfortable.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Also in winters you should wear a cardigan or a sweater as you have to remove your jackets at the center.

Also, try not to drink caffeinated drinks that is the energy drinks as they can somewhat afftect your judegement.

Do not carry a full meal instead carry a fruit juice, a chocolate bar and a sandwich.

Make sure you are comfortable and if you need something with you at the time of gmat make sure you carry the required paper work for the same

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Make sure you check your writing pens multiple times. I had issues with mine and wasted valuable 10-12 mins

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts