Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618742 [543]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [165]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5580 [6]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Importance of the First 10 Questions - GMAT Prep What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Hi,please share the distribution of question types in verbal.Like in quant,I see there are 17-18 PS and 13-14 DS,similarly would love to know number of ques from RC,SC AND CR
Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [6]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Importance of the First 10 Questions - GMAT Prep What If Scenarios [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Great stuff, Bunuel! Cheers to all your valuable contributions to the Quant forums.

anmit123 wrote:
Hi,please share the distribution of question types in verbal.Like in quant,I see there are 17-18 PS and 13-14 DS,similarly would love to know number of ques from RC,SC AND CR
Thanks

I ran a question-type count on the new (online) Verbal section of Exam 1, and here is what I found: 15 SC, 13 RC, 8 CR.

Make of that what you will! Also note that this balance/frequency of question Verbal types on the new GMATPrep tests does NOT appear to reflect their true proportions on the actual GMAT, based on the debriefs we've read so far, which suggest that RC is now the most common question type:

My best guess for the actual number of counted questions on the GMAT is this: 15 PS, 13 DS, 12 RC, 10 SC, 8 CR.

Keep in mind that I only ran one simulation. It is entirely possible that every GMATPrep test now has a slightly different balance of question types, much like the real GMAT itself, due to the random distribution of experimental questions by type.

These analyses also demonstrate that although the GMAT Official Practice Exams are the obviously most realistic in terms of raw material, the scoring on the real GMAT is clearly different. For example, 2 of your demonstrations earned scores of Q50 despite answering 10 questions wrong, which would never happen on the real GMAT: according to 5 years of ESR evidence, for example, we have never seen more than 6 (counted) questions wrong correlate to a Q50. Similarly, you can answer up to 9 questions wrong (in a row!) on GMATPrep and yet still earn a V42. This scenario would never occur on the real GMAT, either: a V42 score correlates to only 2-5 counted questions incorrect.

For more info: https://gmatclub.com/forum/psa-the-scor ... 67046.html

For this reason, to be safe, I would subtract 20-30 points from the average of your GMAT Official Practice Tests in order to estimate your likely score on the real GMAT.

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 25 Jul 2018, 16:54.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 23 Aug 2021, 20:19, edited 5 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: HBS '21 (A)
Send PM
Any attempts on the myth of skipping questions on verbal? I read that skipping the last questions (up to 4) in verbal insead of guessing might be a better idea (what if you get 3 very easy questions wrong because of guessing vs just skipping them alltogether?)

I think thats a what if worth doing as there are many people strrugling to finish verbal (i have difficulties to finish the section and usually rush or guess the last 4)

I also heard that if you answer the last X questions under Y minutes, the software detects that you are guessing and penalizes you for not managing your time. Is that true?

Thanks for the great content!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Cimet2018 wrote:
Any attempts on the myth of skipping questions on verbal? I read that skipping the last questions (up to 4) in verbal insead of guessing might be a better idea (what if you get 3 very easy questions wrong because of guessing vs just skipping them alltogether?)

I think thats a what if worth doing as there are many people strrugling to finish verbal (i have difficulties to finish the section and usually rush or guess the last 4)

I also heard that if you answer the last X questions under Y minutes, the software detects that you are guessing and penalizes you for not managing your time. Is that true?

Interesting interpretation. I always thought skipping questions was equivalent to answering them incorrectly. Can someone verify?
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
wanderingmba wrote:
Cimet2018 wrote:

Interesting interpretation. I always thought skipping questions was equivalent to answering them incorrectly. Can someone verify?

You can't "skip" a question on the GMAT. You either get it right or wrong (you have to answer a question in order to move on to the next one), or you run out of time and are forced to omit questions at the end. Despite your suspicions, it appears from previous GMATPrep studies that the opposite is actually true: leaving questions unanswered is even worse than getting them wrong!

The GMAC is very clear that there is a "significant" penalty for not finishing all questions in a section, so if we take GMAC at its word, then it's actually better to answer (some/most/all?) questions at the end of the GMAT incorrectly, than it is to leave them unanswered.

Source: OG 2019

That being said, I don't necessarily always trust the GMAC at its word, so I welcome seeing this hypothesis tested experimentally using the new online tests.

-Brian
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [9]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

PS vs. DS Question Importance - First Post Updated

Scenario 6: Weight & Importance of DS questions

Experiment: We will try to analyze the weight and importance of DS vs PS in terms of final Quant Score
Methodology: Answer the first 10 questions correctly and then miss all DS questions, while answering PS correctly.

Result: Score - Q50. Percentile - 86th. First 10 questions CORRECT and then missed 10 DS while answering 11 PS questions correctly.
Total Score: every question in the verbal section was answered as "B" this time and it resulted in the final score of V6, 0 percentile. Total score: 460 (19th percentile).
Questions: 18PS and 13DS.

Scenario 7: Weight & Importance of PS questions

Experiment: We will try to analyze the weight and importance of DS vs PS.
Methodology: Answer the first 10 questions correctly and then miss all PS questions, while answering DS correctly.

Result: Score - Q49. Percentile - 75th. First 10 questions CORRECT and then missed 11 PS while answering 10 DS questions correctly.
Total Score: every question in the verbal section was answered as "D" this time and it resulted in the final score of V8, 1 percentile. Total score: 460 (19th percentile).
Questions: 18PS and 13DS.

Conclusion: It seems there is no or little difference in terms of weight that GMAC places on the DS vs. PS questions. Both Scenarios resulted into a very close score: Q50 with 10 DS wrong and Q49 with 11 PS wrong.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [2]
Given Kudos: 329
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 490 Q39 V18
Send PM
Kudos
bb OmerPelman

In the official GMAT website under the FAQ section of "What are GMAT® Official Practice Exams and Practice Questions?" it is stated that -
"Practice with real GMAT questions from past exams and full-length practice exams that use the same scoring algorithm as the actual exam."

The link - https://www.mba.com/frequently-asked-qu ... -questions
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
blitzkriegxX wrote:
bb OmerPelman

In the official GMAT website under the FAQ section of "What are GMAT® Official Practice Exams and Practice Questions?" it is stated that -
"Practice with real GMAT questions from past exams and full-length practice exams that use the same scoring algorithm as the actual exam."

The link - https://www.mba.com/frequently-asked-qu ... -questions

Thank you for the link. Yes. That is correct - that’s the update that GMAC has made after upgrading to the online platform.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: CUHK '21 (II)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Send PM
Hi ,
can somebody analyse the below mock test result for me because i am clueless how i got V28 , that is too low. I though miss one question in verbal.
Please provide your feedback as how can i improve my verbal score.
Attachments

File comment: verbal section
2018-10-07.png
2018-10-07.png [ 35.89 KiB | Viewed 58877 times ]

File comment: overall score report
2018-10-07 (1).png
2018-10-07 (1).png [ 36.04 KiB | Viewed 58795 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [4]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos