Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4559 [1]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
Send PM
Read Only User
Read Only User
Own Kudos [?]: 400 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
GMAT 1: 490 Q47 V13
GPA: 2.86
Send PM
Re: When do you know to test cases (pick numbers) in DS? [#permalink]
Andi1gmat wrote:
When do you know to test cases (pick numbers) in DS?

Are there any clear markers that will give an idication?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi, If you are picking the numbers to solve DS question be cautious, look for all the possibilities. Check with integers(+,0,-), rational. at the same time check for the insufficient answers.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
When do you know to test cases (pick numbers) in DS? [#permalink]
Andi1gmat wrote:
When do you know to test cases (pick numbers) in DS?

Are there any clear markers that will give an idication?

Posted from my mobile device

There are two types of questions in Data Sufficiency; (1) Value question (2) Yes/No question.

Picking numbers is a useful strategy in Yes/No questions. Generally, pick numbers to prove that the statements are not sufficient, i.e. pick a number which gives a yes answer another number to get a no answer. For proving sufficiency try to use logic rather than testing numbers.

Test numbers systematically. Use a standard set of numbers during your practice sessions so that this becomes a habit. After reading the constraints mentioned in question stem and the 2 statements, you could test for (assuming no constraints) -2,\(\frac{-3}{2}\),-1,\(\frac{-1}{2}\),0,\(\frac{1}{2}\),1,\(\frac{3}{2}\) and 2.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Andi1gmat,

You ask a really interesting question. You need to be careful to not “over-pick” numbers when tackling Data Sufficiency questions. Many DS questions may be screaming at you to pick numbers (as a trap) but can actually be simplified down to a point at which you don’t need to select numbers at all. Good indications of when you can pick numbers are 1) there is nothing to simplify in the question stem and 2) there is an inequality in which you are asked to compare variables with exponents in the form of an inequality. The latter is a good indication that you should plug in numbers because different types of numbers react differently to exponents. For instance, when squaring a positive integer, the result increases; however, when squaring a positive proper fraction, the result decreases. The GMAT may test you on these types of principles, and to answer such questions, you’d want to plug in numbers. Let’s review the following example:

If m and n are greater than zero, is m^5 > n^3?

1) m > n^3

2) m - n > n – m

Since we see that we are asked to determine whether m raised to the 5th power is greater than n raised to the 3rd power, plugging in numbers will help us determine an answer. The solution is below:

Solution:

Statement One Alone:

m > n^3

If we let m = 2 and n = 1, we see that m^5 is greater than n^3, since 32 is greater than 1. However, if m = 1/2 and n = 1/3, we see that m^5 is not greater than n^3, since 1/32 is not greater than 1/27. Thus, statement one is not sufficient.

Statement Two Alone:

m - n > n – m

Simplifying statement two, we see that m > n. Let’s use the same values we used in statement one:

If we let m = 2 and n = 1, we see that m^5 is greater than n^3, since 32 is greater than 1. However, if m = 1/2 and n = 1/3, we see that m^5 is not greater than n^3, since 1/32 is not greater than 1/27. Thus, statement two is not sufficient.

Statements One and Two Together:

Since we were able to use the same values in both statements and not get a definitive answer, we see that the answer here is E.

While this is just one example, you should look out for problems that can’t be simplified and that compare variables with exponents, because in that case, it’s a pretty good bet that plugging in numbers is the way to go. Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts