Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Long Passagex   Sciencex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 451 [0]
Given Kudos: 883
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V37
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: In 1971 researchers hoping to predict earthquakes in the short term by [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi PriyankaPalit7 - I'm NotAnExpert but I'll try to see if I can help before one of the Ninjas have a minute to respond.

Question: According to the passage, some researchers based their research about long-term earthquake prediction on which of the following facts?

I've underlined the word 'long-term' because it is the key part of identifying the correct answer. While the statement made in answer choice (D) is a completely true statement made in the passage (see the second underlined set of words I've highlighted in red below), it is a statement that is made with respect to short, not long-term earthquakes. The correct answer - answer choice (C) - is supported by the text that I've highlighted in green.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
In 1971 researchers hoping to predict earthquakes in the short term by identifying precursory phenomena (those that occur a few days before large quakes but not otherwise) turned their attention to changes in seismic waves that had been detected prior to earthquakes. An explanation for such changes was offered by “dilatancy theory,” based on a well-known phenomenon observed in rocks in the laboratory: as stress builds, microfractures in rock close, decreasing the rock’s volume. But as stress continues to increase, the rock begins to crack and expand in volume, allowing groundwater to seep in, weakening the rock. According to this theory, such effects could lead to several precursory phenomena in the field, including a change in the velocity of seismic waves, and an increase in small, nearby tremors.

Researchers initially reported success in identifying these possible precursors, but subsequent analyses of their data proved disheartening. Seismic waves with unusual velocities were recorded before some earthquakes, but while the historical record confirms that most large earthquakes are preceded by minor tremors, these foreshocks indicate nothing about the magnitude of an impending quake and are indistinguishable from other minor tremors that occur without large earthquakes.

In the 1980s, some researchers turned their efforts from short-term to long-term prediction. Noting that earthquakes tend to occur repeatedly in certain regions, Lindh and Baker attempted to identify patterns of recurrence, or earthquake cycles, on which to base predictions. In a study of earthquake-prone sites along the San Andreas Fault, they determined that quakes occurred at intervals of approximately 22years near one site and concluded that there was a 95 percent probability of an earthquake in that area by 1992. The earthquake did not occur within the time frame predicted, however.

Evidence against the kind of regular earthquake cycles that Lindh and Baker tried to establish has come from a relatively new field, paleoseismology. Paleoseismologists have unearthed and dated geological features such as fault scarps that were caused by earthquakes thousands of years ago. They have determined that the average interval between ten earthquakes that took place at one site along the San Andreas Fault in the past two millennia was 132 years, but individual intervals ranged greatly, from 44 to 332 years
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In 1971 researchers hoping to predict earthquakes in the short term by [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Chelsea212 wrote:
Hi PriyankaPalit7 - I'm NotAnExpert but I'll try to see if I can help before one of the Ninjas have a minute to respond.

Question: According to the passage, some researchers based their research about long-term earthquake prediction on which of the following facts?

I've underlined the word 'long-term' because it is the key part of identifying the correct answer. While the statement made in answer choice (D) is a completely true statement made in the passage (see the second underlined set of words I've highlighted in red below), it is a statement that is made with respect to short, not long-term earthquakes. The correct answer - answer choice (C) - is supported by the text that I've highlighted in green.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
In 1971 researchers hoping to predict earthquakes in the short term by identifying precursory phenomena (those that occur a few days before large quakes but not otherwise) turned their attention to changes in seismic waves that had been detected prior to earthquakes. An explanation for such changes was offered by “dilatancy theory,” based on a well-known phenomenon observed in rocks in the laboratory: as stress builds, microfractures in rock close, decreasing the rock’s volume. But as stress continues to increase, the rock begins to crack and expand in volume, allowing groundwater to seep in, weakening the rock. According to this theory, such effects could lead to several precursory phenomena in the field, including a change in the velocity of seismic waves, and an increase in small, nearby tremors.

Researchers initially reported success in identifying these possible precursors, but subsequent analyses of their data proved disheartening. Seismic waves with unusual velocities were recorded before some earthquakes, but while the historical record confirms that most large earthquakes are preceded by minor tremors, these foreshocks indicate nothing about the magnitude of an impending quake and are indistinguishable from other minor tremors that occur without large earthquakes.

In the 1980s, some researchers turned their efforts from short-term to long-term prediction. Noting that earthquakes tend to occur repeatedly in certain regions, Lindh and Baker attempted to identify patterns of recurrence, or earthquake cycles, on which to base predictions. In a study of earthquake-prone sites along the San Andreas Fault, they determined that quakes occurred at intervals of approximately 22years near one site and concluded that there was a 95 percent probability of an earthquake in that area by 1992. The earthquake did not occur within the time frame predicted, however.

Evidence against the kind of regular earthquake cycles that Lindh and Baker tried to establish has come from a relatively new field, paleoseismology. Paleoseismologists have unearthed and dated geological features such as fault scarps that were caused by earthquakes thousands of years ago. They have determined that the average interval between ten earthquakes that took place at one site along the San Andreas Fault in the past two millennia was 132 years, but individual intervals ranged greatly, from 44 to 332 years

Chelsea212, your explanation looks great! Nicely done. PriyankaPalit7, just let us know if that doesn't resolve your doubts.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
HI SajjadAhmad, workout

Can you please remove those numbers beside the para and keep the passage parawise. I understand that passage is according to OG but in the actual Prep there will be no numbers and that makes easy to read and practice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Please explain the answer for the 6th question in this RC. I chose A but the answer is C.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
RitujaBasu wrote:
Please explain the answer for the 6th question in this RC. I chose A but the answer is C.

Hello, RitujaBasu. I would suggest reading the earlier response by GMATNinjaTwo to this very question. If you still have questions after that, feel free to post your specific query again. (It appears you are in good company with choice (A), which has snagged over 50 percent of question-answerers on this site as of this writing.)

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
got 5 out of 7 correct . last question was toughest . how can it be of 600 level .
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Hi, could someone help explain Question 4 please?

The relevant portion of the passage:

Paleoseismologists
have unearthed and dated geological features
such as fault scarps that were caused by
earthquakes thousands of years ago. They have
determined that the average interval between ten
earthquakes that took place at one site along the
San Andreas Fault in the past two millennia was
132 years, but individual intervals ranged greatly,
from 44 to 332 years.
Now if the time period has increased from 22 years(as predicted by L and B) to 132, why cannot we infer that the frequency has significantly reduced? Wouldn't choice A be a correct answer?

Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Bookmarks
jayarora wrote:
Hi, could someone help explain Question 4 please?

The relevant portion of the passage:

Paleoseismologists
have unearthed and dated geological features
such as fault scarps that were caused by
earthquakes thousands of years ago. They have
determined that the average interval between ten
earthquakes that took place at one site along the
San Andreas Fault in the past two millennia was
132 years, but individual intervals ranged greatly,
from 44 to 332 years.
Now if the time period has increased from 22 years(as predicted by L and B) to 132, why cannot we infer that the frequency has significantly reduced? Wouldn't choice A be a correct answer?

Thanks in advance

Hi Jay

I think you refer to Q5 and not Q4.

Option (A) states that "frequency with which earthquakes occurred at a particular site decreased significantly over the past two millennia". There are several problems with this:

1) The passage suggests that Lindh and Baker's predictions did not pan out.
2) Recent findings of paleoseismologists show a greater gap between earthquakes.

The recent findings seem to overturn the earlier suggestions ie; it is the research findings that have changed the time interval - the actual time interval would have been the same irrespective of the research findings. Therefore it would be inaccurate to say, based on these statements, that the "frequency of earthquakes...has decreased" as option (A) does. We can also surmise this from the statement, " the average interval between ten earthquakes that took place at one site along the San Andreas Fault in the past two millennia was 132 years, but individual intervals ranged greatly, from 44 to 332 years". This implies that there was no regular trend in the time interval between successive earthquakes - there has been variation but there is nothing to suggest whether the time interval has been increasing or reducing.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
can u explain last question and also this line(earthquakes, but while the historical record confirms
that most large earthquakes are preceded by minor
tremors,) why 2 contradictory words are used together.
In 5 question if option d wasn't mentioned can we say E option be correct though it isn't mentioned whether they looked or not looked on causes of earthquake ,but paleoseismologists looked at the causes.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Quote:
The author implies which of the following about the ability of the researchers mentioned in line 18 to predict earthquakes?

A. They can identify when an earthquake is likely to occur but not how large it will be.
B. They can identify the regions where earthquakes are likely to occur but not when they will occur.
C. They are unable to determine either the time or the place that earthquakes are likely to occur.
D. They are likely to be more accurate at short-term earthquake prediction than at long-term earthquake prediction.
E. They can determine the regions where earthquakes have occurred in the past but not the regions where they are likely to occur in the future.

in E option:
but not the regions where they are likely to occur in the future.= TRUE
They can determine the regions where earthquakes have occurred in the past =?

Quote:
Statement1: . They have determined that the average interval between ten earthquakes that took place at one site along the San Andreas Fault in the past two millennia was 132 years, but individual intervals ranged greatly, from 44 to 332 years
>> They can only determine if they know where these earthquakes have occurred
Quote:
Statement2:In a study of earthquake-prone sites along the San Andreas Fault, they determined that quakes occurred at intervals of approximately 22 years near one site and concluded that there was a 95 percent probability of an earthquake in that area by 1992

>> They determined where these earthquakes occurred
atleast they have some ability to determine the earth quake location where it occured . it could be anywhere between 0.xx% to 99.xx%

The long term prediction analysis is based on history of these earthquake occurrences ,so we can't determine that they have no ability.

If i see the question:
Quote:
about the ability of the researchers mentioned in line 18 to predict earthquakes

In 1971 researchers hoping to predict earthquakes - researchers A
In the 1980s, some researchers turned their efforts from short-term to long-term prediction.- Some researchers subset of A
so could be same researchers

Quote:
C. They are unable to determine either the time or the place that earthquakes are LIKELY to occur.

LIKELY- it doesn't say MUST BE.
Likely could be anywhere between 0.xx-99.xx%.

After this detailed understanding, why would i chose answer C?
GMATGodGMATNinja @GMATNinjaTwo neetis5 Kurtosis abhimahna Skywalker18 aragonn MentorTutoring CrackVerbalGMAT VeritasKarishma
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Did not understand question 6. Why is the answer C and not A when it is clearly mentioned in the passage that the researchers could not identify the magnitude of the earthquake. We have to stick to the location. Please explain it properly.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello, SkR1. I enjoyed reading your thorough analysis. I feel honored to have been mentioned alongside the others you named. I typically add my two cents when I feel a more thorough treatment of a question may be warranted, or if a user brings up a specific point that has not been addressed. I do this out of respect for my fellow GMAT Clubbers, Experts and students alike. In this case, I see that the top two posts in the thread address this very question. If you have read through the analyses by GMATNinjaTwo, neetis5, smartyman, Kurtosis, abhimahna, sahilbhatia21 at the top of page 2, and Chelsea212 and the question still does not make sense, then feel free to ask again for help. I guess I am having trouble understanding any lingering doubts you may have. (And, to be honest, I feel I have little to add in the way of insight that the posts above by the aforementioned members have not already touched on.)

Thank you for tagging me. I hope you find the answer you are looking for.

- Andrew
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos