Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [42]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [7]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Jones '15
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4467 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: The writings of Jorge Luis Borges have been compared to many [#permalink]
ritumaheshwari02 wrote:
The writings of Jorge Luis Borges have been compared to many other authors. Franz Kafka and James Jovce in particular, but with a style that is unique.

A. many other authors, Franz Kafka and James Joyce in particular, but with a style that is unique
B. those of many other authors, Franz Kafka and James Joyce in particular, but, in fact, his style is unique
C. those of many other authors, with Franz Kafka's and James Joyce's in particular, but whose style is in fact, unique
D. that of many other authors, Franz Kafka's and James Joyce's in particular, but with a unique style
E. the works of many other authors, among them Franz Kafka and James Joyce in particular, but whose style is a unique one

A states that the writings of Jorge Luis Borges have been compared to many other authors, this is incorrect. We need to compare the writings of Jorge Luis Burges with the writings of other authors.

A - Incorrectly compares writings with authors

B - Correctly compares writings of Jorge with those of other authors, a bit wordy but keep it for now.

C - starts of comparing the writings but then switches to the possessive case, "Franz Kafka's and James Joyce's". Eliminate

D - This choice ends with "but with a unique style". Whose style are we talking about?

E - This sentence repeats the same error as D, "but whose style is a unique one"

B wins..
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
The writings of Jorge Luis Borges have been compared to many other authors. Franz Kafka and James Jovce in particular, but with a style that is unique.

A. many other authors, Franz Kafka and James Joyce in particular, but with a style that is unique
wrong comparison, writings is compared to authors
B. those of many other authors, Franz Kafka and James Joyce in particular, but, in fact, his style is unique
Correct
C. those of many other authors, with Franz Kafka's and James Joyce's in particular, but whose style is in fact, unique
Franz Kafka's and James Joyce's should modify author, but it does not, hence incorrect
D. that of many other authors, Franz Kafka's and James Joyce's in particular, but with a unique style
Franz Kafka's and James Joyce's should modify author, but it does not, hence incorrect
E. the works of many other authors, among them Franz Kafka and James Joyce in particular, but whose style is a unique one
Wrong comparison, writings is compared to works
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 982
Send PM
I picked A because I thought 'compared to' compares Apples : Oranges whereas 'compared with" compares Apples : Apples

Also, I though 'his' doesn't have a antecedent in B because Jorge is in a prep and a PN can't link to a subject in a prep.

can an expert please help clarify? Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
ritumaheshwari02 wrote:

luks like B to me....

whats the OA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I chose option E because I thought that B compares the "writings of Jorge..." with Franz Kafka and James Joyce. The problem is that I'm still convinced with my theory. Could someone help me?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Falena wrote:
I chose option E because I thought that B compares the "writings of Jorge..." with Franz Kafka and James Joyce.

Hi Falena, if that were the case, the sentence would be:

The writings of Jorge Luis Borges have been compared to many other authors, , Franz Kafka and James Joyce in particular..

However, B actually states:

The writings of Jorge Luis Borges have been compared to those of many other authors, , Franz Kafka and James Joyce in particular..

So, the presence of those of makes the reference back to writings.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
The writings of Jorge Luis Borges have been compared to many [#permalink]

Here, writings are compared with people "Franz Kafka and James Joyce". Hence, wrong.

Here, "his" refers to Luis Borges. However, can someone explain, why "his" is not ambiguous here?

"whose" refers to people, animals, nouns before it etc. Here, the only thing before "whose" and the only thing "whose" can refers to is "Franz Kafka's and James Joyce's". This would not make sense. This would make it sounds like: Franz Kafka's's style and James Joyce's's style.

"that" refers to "writings" but "writings" is plural.

Here, "whose" is grammatically correct when it refers to "Franz Kafka and James Joyce". However, the intended meaning is to modify Luis Borges.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
Exactly, even I am bit confused with B. 'his' in option B is bit ambiguous. Bunuel can you explain?

emcheeks wrote:

Here, writings are compared with people "Franz Kafka and James Joyce". Hence, wrong.

Here, "his" refers to Luis Borges. However, can someone explain, why "his" is not ambiguous here?

"whose" refers to people, animals, nouns before it etc. Here, the only thing before "whose" and the only thing "whose" can refers to is "Franz Kafka's and James Joyce's". This would not make sense. This would make it sounds like: Franz Kafka's's style and James Joyce's's style.

Here, "whose" is grammatically correct when it refers to "Franz Kafka and James Joyce". However, the intended meaning is to modify Luis Borges.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
nsdl1985 wrote:
Exactly, even I am bit confused with B. 'his' in option B is bit ambiguous. Bunuel can you explain?

emcheeks wrote:

Hello nsdl1985,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the use of "his" is a bit ambiguous here, but it is fairly clear from the context that it refers to "Jorge Luis Borges"; as all the other answer choices have much more concrete errors, Option B is still the most appropriate answer choice.

Remember, on GMAT you need to look for the best answer choice, not a perfect one.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts