Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [8]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: AGSM '16 (I)
GMAT Date: 08-02-2015
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: AGSM '16 (I)
GMAT Date: 08-02-2015
Send PM
Re: All over the world, 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percen [#permalink]
By ambitious I meant, THEM here changes the meaning of the sentence. It means 60% out of 80% people...

HHope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: All over the world, 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percen [#permalink]
gmat7585 wrote:
target2015 wrote:
All over the world, 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent are having a computer at home.
• 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent are having has
• 80 percent of the people use computers, 60 percent of the people access the internet and 40 percent of the people are having
• 80 percent of the people use computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent have
• 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent of them access the internet and 40 percent have
• 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent have

This is a question testing the parallelism concept,
The first answer option does not follow the parallel construction - 40 percent are having is wrong
the second option fails to make a parallel construction by using are having
the third option makes subject verb error by writing use computer
in the fourth option uses THEM that make it ambigious

Hence E is the answer. Please revert in case i am wrong

Can you pls help me understand the SV error in option 3?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
gmat7585 wrote:
By ambitious I meant, THEM here changes the meaning of the sentence. It means 60% out of 80% people...

HHope it helps

But that is the intent right? 60% of the 80% people access internet...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V24
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V33
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
applebus wrote:
Could you explain why "them" in choice D is ambiguous? I cannot figure it out. It absolutely refers to people or you mean 80 percent?

Them is mentioned in only one part, in order to make parallel either it should be used to describe both -else "them" should not be used at all.
Hence D is correct and E is the correct option.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
narmadadhruv wrote:
gmat7585 wrote:
target2015 wrote:
All over the world, 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent are having a computer at home.
• 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent are having has
• 80 percent of the people use computers, 60 percent of the people access the internet and 40 percent of the people are having
• 80 percent of the people use computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent have
• 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent of them access the internet and 40 percent have
• 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent have

This is a question testing the parallelism concept,
The first answer option does not follow the parallel construction - 40 percent are having is wrong
the second option fails to make a parallel construction by using are having
the third option makes subject verb error by writing use computer
in the fourth option uses THEM that make it ambigious

Hence E is the answer. Please revert in case i am wrong

Can you pls help me understand the SV error in option 3?

I think that the main problem in C is the absence of article before "computer", so it distorts a parallelism a little. The other two nouns come with the articles.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
DharLog
don't you think "a computer" signifies one computer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 233
Send PM
Kudos
IMO E

• 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent are having -
--- Parallelism issue with having - out
• 80 percent of the people use computers, 60 percent of the people access the internet and 40 percent of the people are having - same problem as option A
----- Subject verb error , use of computer is not right ... out
----- Second part of sentence implies 60% of 80% people who use computer .. out
This is it . Correct parallelism and correct use of subject verb
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
saurabhSuman wrote:
DharLog

I tink it is not that relevant in our case.

The most part is parallelism.
use - access - have
a - the - a
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Kudos
Still not clear why D is wrong. Okay so them is referring to people, but how is this making the sentence ambiguous.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 401 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos

Quote:
A. 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent are having

use...access...have...should be the parallel structure here. ELIMINATED
Quote:
B. 80 percent of the people use computers, 60 percent of the people access the internet and 40 percent of the people are having

same parallelism error as in option A. ELIMINATED
Quote:
C. 80 percent of the people use computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent have

This is a little tricky to decide. Between options C and E, the only difference is "use computer" and "use a computer". Now if we see the non underlined part at the end, it says "a computer at home". So the start of the sentence should also mention "a computer". You can't complete a sentence by starting with "computer" and then using "a computer". So ELIMINATED
Quote:
D. 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent of them access the internet and 40 percent have

of them...is confusing here. If 60 percent of them can access the internet then who are the 40 percent people? Are they from overall population or from 80 percent of the people using a computer? If "of them" is mentioned here then there should some clear mention in "40 percent have". This can also be a parallel error. ELIMINATED
Quote:
E. 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent have

This is the best choice among the options which holds all possible grammatical rules.

OPTION: E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
saurabhSuman wrote:
DharLog

I use computer (is incomplete sentence, use the computer for what? )
I use a computer (The article 'a' completes the sentence. )

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GPA: 3.27
WE:General Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
target2015 wrote:

A. 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent are having
B. 80 percent of the people use computers, 60 percent of the people access the internet and 40 percent of the people are having
C. 80 percent of the people use computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent have
D. 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent of them access the internet and 40 percent have
E. 80 percent of the people use a computer, 60 percent access the internet and 40 percent have

First, it wont end with 'are having' so, a and b are out, in c there is missing article 'a' and in D, it says 60% of the 80%, which changes the meaning, leaving us with option E.
Hence, E is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
Can any expert offer a detailed explanation on why option C is incorrect plz...

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
spandy wrote:
Can any expert offer a detailed explanation on why option C is incorrect plz...
It doesn't have an a before computer.

... people use computer... is wrong
... people use a computer... is possible

This is not something you need to worry about too much, but if it helps, you could take a look at this post for a discussion of this issue.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts