Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22042 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: John plans his day such that he spends 30% of his time for exercise [#permalink]
Expert Reply
btrg wrote:
John plans his day such that he spends 30% of his time for exercise, some of his time for family and 45% of his time for his work. On a certain day he spent 20% more time than he had planned for exercising. If he cannot change the duration of time planned for his work, what percentage of family time does he have to reduce? Assuming that these are the only three tasks he plans to do.

A. 6%
B. 19%
C. 20%
D. 24%
E. 80%

Normally John spends 30% of his time for exercise and 45% for work, so he spends 25% for his family. However, on a certain day he spent 20% more time on exercising, that is, he spent 30 x 1.2 = 36 percent on exercising and since he still spent 45% for work, he spent 19% for his family. So the time he spent for his family on that day is

(25 - 19)/25 x 100 = 6 x 4 = 24 percent less than he normally does.

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: John plans his day such that he spends 30% of his time for exercise [#permalink]
Hi Scott or Karishma,

I don’t understand the last step. Why do we need to divide 6 over 25x100?

Why isn’t the answer 6%? The question asks “what percentage of family time does he have to reduce?” He only spent 19% of family time so he had to reduce his time by 6%.

Can you please help me understand where I’m wrong? Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Kudos
Because family time is 25% of total time. So the reduced time should be from that 25% only.

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rebeccarathvon wrote:
Hi Scott or Karishma,

I don’t understand the last step. Why do we need to divide 6 over 25x100?

Why isn’t the answer 6%? The question asks “what percentage of family time does he have to reduce?” He only spent 19% of family time so he had to reduce his time by 6%.

Can you please help me understand where I’m wrong? Thank you!

Say you scored 50% in a certain exam last year. This year you scored 40%. So your score went down by 10 percentage points.

But if you scored 50 last year and only 40 this year, the percentage decrease in your score is (10/50)*100 = 20%.

Similarly,

The family time was 25%. Now the family point is 19%. That is a drop of 6 percentage POINTS.

But he was spending 25 hrs with the family before. Now he is spending 19 hrs. So he had to reduce his family time by 6 hrs for 25 hrs he was spending before. What is this in percentage terms?

(6/25)*100 = 24%
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22042 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Let’s assume this is a money problem. In this case, he would have originally spent $25 on his family, and then later he was able to spend only $19 on his family. So yes, he has spent $6 less on his family, but this means that the percent change of his expenditure is (19 - 25)/25 x 100% = -6/25 x 100%= -24%, which is a 24% decrease.

The reason that this problem is so confusing is that the original units are in percents (rather than dollars or hours or other unit). So you are actually required to calculate the percent change of two percents rather than the easier idea of calculating the percent change in dollars or hours.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92888 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts