Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 389 [8]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [2]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: I do not need an alarm clock as my bedroom has a window to the east. [#permalink]
curiousjizz wrote:
B is incorrect because it states "I can wake up on my own". If the person can wake up on his or her own then why bother stating there is a window to the east and THIS makes an alarm clock redundant? Surely the window is helping this person in some way or they could've said I sleep inside a cave and dont require an alarm clock. Who cares about the help this window provides right?

If Option C is Negated and the person CAN sleep during the day, again, why would the argument care about the window to the east? Note, this person WANTS to wake up on time, thus the alarm clock is mentioned but the window to the EAST does the job. Why? It could've been on the floor. The idea is, this person cannot sleep during the day. The sun or the position of the bed is not relevant.

Please leave a kudos if this helped. Good Luck!

curiousjizz
I do not understand the highlighted part
how can you say that person can sleep during the day by negating I sleep at night. ; negating of it would be I do not sleep at night ... you cannot say I sleep during day ..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: I do not need an alarm clock as my bedroom has a window to the east. [#permalink]
"I sleep at night". Negating this means, I DO NOT sleep at night and I sleep throughout the day (Morning, afternoon). This weakens the argument of having a window to the East and not needing an alarm clock. Why need the window to the east? The person needs it because the sun rises in the east during the day. Note - Whether or not its sunny and the sunshine falls on his face is not mentioned (It could be a gloomy London morning).

Let me know if you have more questions :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I do not need an alarm clock as my bedroom has a window to the east. [#permalink]
Thakurdas wrote:
I do not need an alarm clock as my bedroom has a window to the east.

Which of the following is an assumption involved in the argument above?

A. I cannot sleep for more than twelve hours at a stretch.

B. I can wake up on my own.

C. I sleep at night.

D. The morning sunlight falls on my face because my bed stands next to the window.

E. The windows in my bedroom have sheer glass.

##My answer would be D. The morning sunlight falls on my face because my bed stands next to the window.
The assumption is that there is no need of Alarm clock just because the work of Alarm clock is being done by the morning sunlight.
Even it's a normal saying (when we try to impress someone) that we don't need Alarm clock; my house has been built as per Vaastu (faces East), my room in the morning fills with Sunlight and I wake early in the morning!! ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 389 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Hi

IT seems this simple question has foxed too many people in this forum. The confusion could have been avoided by remembering a few basic things while searching for assumptions in any argument. Please keep the following in your mind always.

1. An assumption is a necessary part of the argument. The stated premises on their own do not lead to the conclusion. The stated premises can lead to the conclusion only if they are combined with the assumptions.

2. In every real life argument, assumptions outnumber the stated premises.

The following is the complete argument (ie. Inclusive of all assumptions necessarily involved).

Sated premise: my bedroom has a window to the east.
Assumptions: 1. The sun rises in the east. 2. Nothing (for example, no building or tree outside the window as well as curtains or shutters at the window) stops the sunlight from entering my bedroom through the window mentioned.

Interim Conclusion # 1: my bedroom ceases to be dark at dawn.
Assumptions: 3. I sleep in my bedroom (if I sleep in my ailing mother's bedroom to take care of her, my bedroom's window is useless for me). 4. I sleep at night (if I work the night shift and sleep during the day, I will wake up at sunset in which case the east window becomes usekess). 5. I cannot sleep in light (if I am not light sensitive as a sleeper, the window is useless).

Interim conclusion # 2: I wake up because of the light spreading at dawn.

Assumptions: 6. Those who can not wake up need alarm.

Final conclusion: I don't need an alarm.

PS. The sunlight may or may not fall directly on my face. A light sensitive person wakes up even if the light falls on his chest as the reflection will reach his eyes.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
does it qualify under a quality question???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
IMHO this is a poorly designed question.
Option C, "I sleep at night" could be an assumption if it was ONLY, i.e., equivalent to "I don't sleep during the day". Since this is not the case, the person can actually sleep at night AND sleep while there is daylight, which leads to the second problem.
To get the meaning of the question, you need to assume that 1) the sun comes through the window at the right time (imagine Icelandic winter) and 2) the person wakes up with the sun on hir/her face, which is super clunky and not at all GMAT-like.

A. I cannot sleep for more than twelve hours at a stretch. -> wrong, the person could sleep 12h from dusk to dawn
B. I can wake up on my own. -> wrong, if the person can wake up oin his/her own, s/he doesn't need the window
C. I sleep at night. -> wrong, since the person can be able to sleep during the day even with sunlight
D. The morning sunlight falls on my face because my bed stands next to the window. -> incomplete. We also need to assume that the person wakes up with sunlight
E. The windows in my bedroom have sheer glass. -> same thing and also needs D.

Therefore none of the answers are correct
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts