Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2221 [22]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Critics of Federal Reserve argue that hyperinflation is evident [#permalink]
Bookmarks
gmat1393 - I don't think this is a safe question to have up, because answer B is not correct. In reality, none of the possible answers are correct. B says, "The first is the position that the argument opposes; the second is the evidence provided to refute that position."

There is no evidence contained in the bolded sentence, "The reality cannot be more different." This is more of a position or stance the author is taking against the first bolded section, but there is no evidence here.

Just some constructive feedback to consider, but happy to consider your argument on this as well.

aankit abhishek31
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Critics of Federal Reserve argue that hyperinflation is evident [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Critics of Federal Reserve argue that hyperinflation is evident because an increase in money supply by the Federal Reserve will lead to a devaluation of US dollars, making imports more expensive. The reality cannot be more different. The increased capital flow would actually enable US companies to export high value products such as cars, increasing the demand for US dollar and improving the purchasing power of the average American.

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles in the argument?

A. The first is the prediction that the argument on the whole supports; the second is a fact that will be true.
B. The first is the position that the argument opposes; the second is the evidence provided to refute that position.
C. The first is an evidence used to oppose a position; the second is that position.
D. The first is the prediction that the argument on the whole opposes; the second is another prediction that the argument believes will come true.
E. The first is the position that the argument supports; the second is evidence cited to oppose that position.

I believe the "right answer" should be B, but this seems like a flawed question as none of the answers are truly correct.

With Bold-faced questions, the most important thing to remember is that any statement in the argument MUST fit into one of four categories: premises that support the argument, premises that go against the argument, the main conclusion of the argument, any other conclusion that doesn't support the main one.

What the argument tells us is that the first statement is a conclusion (prediction, position, argument are all words that indicate a conclusion), and it goes against the main conclusion. Immediately, this eliminates A, C, E. The argument doesn't support this position, and 'evidence' is used to describe premises (are are data, findings, considerations).

The second statement is the main conclusion itself, since it says what the argument believes. However, both B and D don't match this. B says that this statement is a premise, and D, although it calls it a conclusion, makes it a prediction rather than something that is already happening.

On hard Bold-faced questions, the lines between premise and conclusion can get somewhat blurred, which is why i'd pick B if I were to see this on the test. However, I still do not believe this is a valid question.

- Matoo
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kimber wrote:
gmat1393 - I don't think this is a safe question to have up, because answer B is not correct. In reality, none of the possible answers are correct. B says, "The first is the position that the argument opposes; the second is the evidence provided to refute that position."

There is no evidence contained in the bolded sentence, "The reality cannot be more different." This is more of a position or stance the author is taking against the first bolded section, but there is no evidence here.

Just some constructive feedback to consider, but happy to consider your argument on this as well.

aankit abhishek31

This is what I thought at first as well, but the second bolded part says "the reality cannot be more different". An evidence is always a fact, and the use of the word "reality" shows it to be a fact (evidence).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
gmat1393 wrote:
Critics of Federal Reserve argue that hyperinflation is evident because an increase in money supply by the Federal Reserve will lead to a devaluation of US dollars, making imports more expensive. The reality cannot be more different. The increased capital flow would actually enable US companies to export high value products such as cars, increasing the demand for US dollar and improving the purchasing power of the average American.

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles in the argument?

A. The first is the prediction that the argument on the whole supports; the second is a fact that will be true.
B. The first is the position that the argument opposes; the second is the evidence provided to refute that position.
C. The first is an evidence used to oppose a position; the second is that position.
D. The first is the prediction that the argument on the whole opposes; the second is another prediction that the argument believes will come true.
E. The first is the position that the argument supports; the second is evidence cited to oppose that position.

First I begin by trying to identify what I believe the context of the phrase in the argument. The Fed is predicting that "hyperinflation is evident", the argument refutes the Fed prediction in the second statement then provides what they believe will be the outcome(prediction).

A is incorrect because the first phrase is not supported by the argument.
B is kinda correct for the first phrase, but I still see it as a prediction instead of a position. The second phrase is not evidence, so this option is eliminated.
C is incorrect because the phrase is not evidence, it's a prediction/claim/outcome.
E is incorrect since the argument does NOT support the Fed's prediction.

D is correct since it confirms the first phrase as a prediction and the second phrase begins by opposing the Fed prediction then providing the author's prediction.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 127
Schools: IIMC
GMAT Focus 1:
635 Q88 V79 DI77
GPA: 7.98
Send PM
The definition of inflation states that the price of a few products increases over a period of time. If the purchasing power of the americans' increase over time, it has nothing to do with the inflation of the market.
Hence, I believe that A is the right answer choice. Can someone explain to me where I am going wrong here ?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts