Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The acrobatic show will begin at 6 p.m. and continue until audience in [#permalink]
AryamaDuttaSaikia wrote:
In "A" "Until" indicates that the moment audience interest goes the show immediately stops. Interest of the audience cannot be compared to the cooking rice – the rice stays begins as uncooked, slowly gets cooked and gets completely cooked at a fixed time when the boiling of the water has to be stopped. This is different from the interest level of audience.
In "E" "As long as" implies for the whole duration the audience has interest the show continues.
Hence E is more logical.

well. I'm giving some other examples to legitimate the answer option 'A'.

Hi AryamaDuttaSaikia,
If I say:
Please write the answer script until you answer the full marks.

Note: I intend to mean that when you answer full marks then you will stop writing. So, here until is correct.

But, if I say:
Please write the answer script as long as you answer the full marks.

Note: Here, My intended meaning is totally different to the first one. Now, you will be astonished that HOW does a student write on the answer script after answering full marks? Ok. I’m telling you the secret matter how does a student write MORE after answering the full marks within a certain time. Suppose you are in exam hall. Your duty is to answer full marks (100 marks) within 2 hours (120 minutes). When it is 90 minutes, you answered all the questions (equivalent to 100 marks). You are still left 30 minutes. WHAT will you do now? Will you go out from the exam hall? I think it will be wrong decision to go out from the exam hall! Here, you should modify, check, re-check and ADD MORE POINT and give example with every NEW point you wrote. Now, your question is HOW will you get the blank space to ADD MORE point in the answer script? Actually, the secret matter is: you put one half (1/2) blank page for every question so that you CAN write SOMETHING MORE if you finish your exam before 120 minutes. But, remember that you’ve finished your exam (writing 100 marks) in 90 minutes. Now, you are still writing for last 30 minutes. So, my question is: WHICH one will you use? UNTIL or AS LONG AS in this regard?

I will ask this question in this forum until I get the solution.. This sentence is perfectly fine-there is no oppose about this sentence.

I will ask this question in this forum as long as I get the solution.
>>This is very bad-we should not ask any question for several times after getting the proper answer. So, this sentence is not legitimate at all. If I am in my target (I'll boil water until rice is cooked-the target is cooking rice), why do I ask any question again and again? I should not do it, isn’t it?

I will ask this question in this forum as long as I get the solution for better understand.
This is legitimate sentence. Here, better understand indicates WHY I ask this question for several time. This indicates the actual reason for asking this question again and again.

In the original question (the acrobatic show…), the questioner did not mention any specific reason WHY the acrobatic show will continue after getting interest. So, I think, ‘until’ is correct in the original question not ‘as long as'.

also, I want to have attention to all the verbal expert of GMAT CLUB. Please, correct me, if I'm wrong.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: The acrobatic show will begin at 6 p.m. and continue until audience in [#permalink]
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
Option A doesn't sound right. We need an "end point" after until.

The acrobatic show will begin at 6 p.m. and continue until audience interest lasts.
should actually be
The acrobatic show will begin at 6 p.m. and continue until audience interest ends.

But this is just a quick reply until Aryama gets back to you.
AjiteshArun wrote:
iMyself wrote:
Option A doesn't sound right. We need an "end point" after until.

The acrobatic show will begin at 6 p.m. and continue until audience interest lasts.
should actually be
The acrobatic show will begin at 6 p.m. and continue until audience interest ends.

But this is just a quick reply until Aryama gets back to you.

Hi AjiteshArun,
I haven't got any response yet. I'm waiting for Jamboree response. Thanks...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun,
I haven't gone through all the other responses, but I'll try to help you out. There are two major points I think we should discuss: (a) the change in meaning and (b) whether some constructions are impossible.

We'll not leave until the police arrive.
and
We'll not leave as long as the police arrive.

The first one gives us something after which we can "leave" (an event or a time). The second one, however, changes the meaning (it becomes a conditional statement). The second basically says that if the police "arrive", we'll not leave.

We'll not leave as long as the police continue locking innocent people up.

This one is possible.

We'll leave as long as the police (also) leave.

In this one the "duration" meaning is not possible (this is actually a condition).

Now for the two sentences you are interested in:
(a) The acrobatic show will begin at 6 p.m. and continue until audience interest lasts.
audience interest lasts doesn't give us an "event" or "particular time". Instead, it gives us a "duration". This construction is not possible. I'm still going by sound on this one though. You're welcome to ask for a second opinion.

(b)
iMyself wrote:
>>This is very bad-we should not ask any question for several times after getting the proper answer. So, this sentence is not legitimate at all. If I am in my target (I'll boil water until rice is cooked-the target is cooking rice), why do I ask any question again and again? I should not do it, isn’t it?

I will ask this question in this forum as long as I get the solution for better understand.
This is legitimate sentence. Here, better understand indicates WHY I ask this question for several time. This indicates the actual reason for asking this question again and again.

In the original question (the acrobatic show…), the questioner did not mention any specific reason WHY the acrobatic show will continue after getting interest. So, I think, ‘until’ is correct in the original question not ‘as long as'.

also, I want to have attention to all the verbal expert of GMAT CLUB. Please, correct me, if I'm wrong.
Unfortunately, both the sentences are incorrect. Even if we ignore other mistakes, we just can't say

I will ask this question in this forum as long as I get the solution for better understanding.

The problem is that we don't want to ask the question as long as we get a solution. We want to ask the question as long as it remains unanswered (again, we're going for the "duration" meaning, not the conditional statement). A shorter example is:

You won't know until you try.
Once you try, you'll know.

You won't know as long as you try.
If you keep trying, you won't know.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
begins is wrong usage as it can be used in simple present tense only
Correct usage is will begin
option C doesn't make much sense
only in option E, modifier error is being taken care of
correct answer - E
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1600 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
iMyself wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun,
I haven't gone through all the other responses, but I'll try to help you out. There are two major points I think we should discuss: (a) the change in meaning and (b) whether some constructions are impossible.

We'll not leave until the police arrive.
and
We'll not leave as long as the police arrive.

The first one gives us something after which we can "leave" (an event or a time). The second one, however, changes the meaning (it becomes a conditional statement). The second basically says that if the police "arrive", we'll not leave.

We'll not leave as long as the police continue locking innocent people up.

This one is possible.

We'll leave as long as the police (also) leave.

In this one the "duration" meaning is not possible (this is actually a condition).

Now for the two sentences you are interested in:
(a) The acrobatic show will begin at 6 p.m. and continue until audience interest lasts.
audience interest lasts doesn't give us an "event" or "particular time". Instead, it gives us a "duration". This construction is not possible. I'm still going by sound on this one though. You're welcome to ask for a second opinion.

(b)
iMyself wrote:

Unfortunately, both the sentences are incorrect. Even if we ignore other mistakes, we just can't say

I will ask this question in this forum as long as I get the solution for better understanding.

The problem is that we don't want to ask the question as long as we get a solution. We want to ask the question as long as it remains unanswered (again, we're going for the "duration" meaning, not the conditional statement). A shorter example is:

You won't know until you try.
Once you try, you'll know.

You won't know as long as you try.
If you keep trying, you won't know.

AjiteshArun : Great explanation and worthy to learn.
But, Is this question worthy to lose my sleep as I also marked A ? :roll:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
AkshdeepS wrote:
AjiteshArun : Great explanation and worthy to learn.
But, Is this question worthy to lose my sleep as I also marked A ? :roll:
The probability that you will get a question that tests this is very small, but more generally, you should not worry too much about getting a question wrong, as every mistake is just an opportunity to learn something (and while everyone makes mistakes, not everyone makes an effort to learn from them). So look at it this way: maybe you should feel better now that there is one less (small) thing that you have to worry about on the exam. :)

Also, this question appears to be based on a very old GMAT question (almost word for word).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Schools: HBS '22
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Jamboree and GMAT Club Contest Starts

QUESTION #3:

A. will begin at 6 p.m. and continue until audience interest lasts
B. begins at 6 p.m., continuing until audience interest lasts
C. will begin at 6 p.m. and, until audience interest lasts, will continue
D. begins at 6 p.m. and, as long as audience interest lasts, it continues
E. will begin at 6 p.m. and continue as long as audience interest lasts

Check conditions below:

For the following two weekends we'll be publishing 4 FRESH math questions and 4 FRESH verbal questions per weekend.

To participate, you will have to reply with your best answer/solution to the new questions that will be posted on Saturday and Sunday at 9 AM Pacific.
Then a week later, respective forum moderators will be selecting 2 winners who provided most correct answers to the questions, along with best solutions. Those winners will get 6-months access to GMAT Club Tests.

PLUS! Based on the answers and solutions for all the questions published during the project ONE user will be awarded with ONE Grand prize. He/She can opt for one of the following as a Grand Prize. It will be a choice for the winner:
-- GMAT Online Comprehensive (If the student wants an online GMAT preparation course)
-- GMAT Classroom Program (Only if he/she has a Jamboree center nearby and is willing to join the classroom program)

Bookmark this post to come back to this discussion for the question links - there will be 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday!

There is only one Grand prize and student can choose out of the above mentioned too options as per the conditions mentioned in blue font.
All announcements and winnings are final and no whining :-) GMAT Club reserves the rights to modify the terms of this offer at any time.

NOTE: Test Prep Experts and Tutors are asked not to participate. We would like to have the members maximize their learning and problem solving process.

Thank you!

The "until" got me. So is it safe to assume that "until" is used when an activity stops immediately and "as long as" is used if the activity is stopping gradually?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts