Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: IIM Bangalore
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [0]
Given Kudos: 326
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Shortened review period - less than one month? [#permalink]
Tactic101 wrote:
Based on the posts I've seen here, the suggested timeline is 3+ months. Has anyone done it in less than a month? I've already been studying at this point for ~3 weeks and just took an official practice test (650/35Q/46V) and have taken two official tests 4 years ago (650/38/41 and 680/43/40), but my test is in 3 weeks. Is that too short of a time to get my quant up to 45? Thanks!

Q35 suggests you are lacking basics in Quant.(Btw you have a very nice verbal score)
For Quant I would suggest you go thru Manhattan Quant guides and couple them with GMAT club tests, which will help you to reach atleast Q48.

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:

Continue taking practice tests (preferably the official practice tests) to check how close you are to your target score. That will help you take a decision on whether you need to postpone your exam. And in case you can't (postpone), it will tell you how much harder you need to work in the time that you have.

Is taking the official practice exam repeatedly helpful, or is it from the same question bank? I know there's two with an additional four available for purchase, but I'd rather not spend if there are easier/cheaper tests available.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tactic101,

The exams you took 4 YEARS ago aren't really relevant to who you are NOW as a Test Taker (and the GMAT is now a shorter Exam - in both the number of questions that are asked in the Quant and Verbal sections and in the total time you have to answer those questions). Assuming that you took this recent CAT in a realistic fashion, then a 650 shows that you're a really strong critical thinker overall - which is good. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Shortened review period - less than one month? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tactic101,

The exams you took 4 YEARS ago aren't really relevant to who you are NOW as a Test Taker (and the GMAT is now a shorter Exam - in both the number of questions that are asked in the Quant and Verbal sections and in the total time you have to answer those questions). Assuming that you took this recent CAT in a realistic fashion, then a 650 shows that you're a really strong critical thinker overall - which is good. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi Rich, thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

* The 650/35Q/46V was yesterday. The answers below do NOT include anything used prior to 2019.
1) What study materials have you used so far? The OG main book. I have the supplementary material books but haven't used them. I got Kaplan's Math Workbook in the mail today and plan to work through it first.
2) What is your goal score? 700+
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School? Either this fall or next. This depends on my score and also my job (I'm currently looking to switch roles)
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to? Northeast focused: NYU (goal), Columbia (for the hell of it), Georgetown, Cornell, and Tuck.

I realize I probably need higher than a 700 for most of these schools, but a 700 is the baseline IMO.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tactic101,

You've named some highly-competitive Schools, so it's worth noting that many Business Schools view an Applicant's Quant Scaled Score as an indicator of how that Applicant might handle the 'academic side' of the Program - and a Q45 wouldn't impress anyone. Thus, beyond scoring at a high level overall, you'll want to pick up as many points in the Quant section as you can. Since you're not facing any immediate application deadlines, you might want to give yourself a bit more study time (especially if your Verbal skills are consistently that strong, then you could potentially score into the mid-700s or higher with the proper Study Plan).

1) Is there a particular reason why you're thinking about this shorter timeframe?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tactic101,

You've named some highly-competitive Schools, so it's worth noting that many Business Schools view an Applicant's Quant Scaled Score as an indicator of how that Applicant might handle the 'academic side' of the Program - and a Q45 wouldn't impress anyone. Thus, beyond scoring at a high level overall, you'll want to pick up as many points in the Quant section as you can. Since you're not facing any immediate application deadlines, you might want to give yourself a bit more study time (especially if your Verbal skills are consistently that strong, then you could potentially score into the mid-700s or higher with the proper Study Plan).

1) Is there a particular reason why you're thinking about this shorter timeframe?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Hi Rich,

My work will be picking up in June and July. Realistically, I'd be able to study only 8-12 hours per week during those months. I didn't think it was worth it to stretch out my study time to 4 months or more, especially if I'm not able to study that much during these months. From what I've heard and read, schools don't see multiple attempts as negative: if my score for this upcoming test in May is somehow 700+, I would apply this fall. If not, I would plan to retake the GMAT this winter and apply in fall of 2020.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tactic101 wrote:
Is taking the official practice exam repeatedly helpful, or is it from the same question bank? I know there's two with an additional four available for purchase, but I'd rather not spend if there are easier/cheaper tests available.
You're right: there are 6 official practice tests in all. Tests 1 and 2 share the same pool. Tests 3 and 4 also share the same pool, as do tests 5 and 6. The pool for tests 1 and 2 is larger than the pools for the paid tests, so taking the free tests again is a better option than taking the paid tests again.

However, I wasn't actually recommending that you repeat any of the official practice tests. Getting all 6 is a really good idea, as no non-official practice test is as representative of the actual GMAT as the official practice tests are. So while you can make do without the official practice tests, that's not where I'd look to save money if I were you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tactic101,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. Based on your current timeline, you will have studied for just 1.5 months if you take the GMAT as you currently have it scheduled. With just the one CAT Score, we have no way of knowing if that Score is an accurate reflection of your current 'ability level' - or if maybe you got a little lucky or unlucky on that practice CAT. No one here knows what you are capable of (as far as a GMAT Score is concerned) or how much study time you might need to hit your Score Goal, but you don't appear to be giving yourself the prescribed amount of time, so that's the first aspect of your studies that we need to consider.

There are study resources that might help you to get to a 700+ in 1 month, but it's not clear how long it will take you to learn and master the content and Quant Tactics needed to hit a Q45+ (or significantly higher) in that timeframe. To be clear, I am NOT suggesting that you study for another 4 months, but there's a reasonable chance that you'll need more time than you have allotted.

1) What is the latest that you think you could take the GMAT before June?
2) For the next 4-5 weeks, how much study time do you think you'll have per week?

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tactic101,

Although you are correct in thinking that there are some GMAT test-takers who have been able to achieve their score goals in just one month, improving by 10 quant points in that amount of time is a pretty tall order. Furthermore, since you have been studying for 3 months already and seem to be stuck at a Q35, you really need to look at HOW you have been preparing and make some changes, right?

With all that said, are you able to keep studying and take your GMAT at a later date? Also, would you like some advice on how to improve your GMAT quant skills?

Lastly, you may find it helpful to read this article about How to Increase Your GMAT Quant Score.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot