Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [4]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [7]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '22 (A)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2221 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Strategy, Real Estate
Schools: Johnson '21
Send PM
Re: A group of university researchers has found that gender bias continues [#permalink]
A group of university researchers has found that gender bias continues to affect social interactions. The experimenters had both men and women perform a perceptual task, involving objects that had distinctively masculine or feminine qualities. Meanwhile, to keep the experiment's purpose concealed, each participant's performance was rated by a single evaluator. When men proved competent at the task involving, for example, a tire-iron, their success was attributed more often to ability; when women did the same, however, their success was often attributed to luck. Conversely, when a feminine object was involved in the task, neither the women's nor the men's success was attributed to ability.

Breakdown: Finding - Gender bias continues to affect social interactions. Experiment - perceptual tasks - both masculine & feminine qualities - each participant - single evaluator. If men proved competent - it's due to ability - when women did the same - It's luck. Feminine tasks - not considered as an ability.

The above statements suggest that

(A) women who are good at perceptual tasks will have their abilities go under-appreciated.
Explanation: Correct

(B) a tire-iron cannot be perceived as having feminine qualities.
Explanation: Too extreme to consider.

(C) having only one person rate another can hide the purpose of an experiment.
Explanation: Cannot determine from he given passage

(D) successful women are often regarded as having more masculine qualities than are their less successful peers.
Explanation: Talks about competence which is irrelevant to the question

(E) more men performed the task competently than did women.
Explanation: Irrelevant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: A group of university researchers has found that gender bias continues [#permalink]
[quote="ArjunJag1328"]A group of university researchers has found that gender bias continues to affect social interactions. The experimenters had both men and women perform a perceptual task, involving objects that had distinctively masculine or feminine qualities. Meanwhile, to keep the experiment's purpose concealed, each participant's performance was rated by a single evaluator. When men proved competent at the task involving, for example, a tire-iron, their success was attributed more often to ability; when women did the same, however, their success was often attributed to luck. Conversely, when a feminine object was involved in the task, neither the women's nor the men's success was attributed to ability.

Breakdown: Finding - Gender bias continues to affect social interactions. Experiment - perceptual tasks - both masculine & feminine qualities - each participant - single evaluator. If men proved competent - it's due to ability - when women did the same - It's luck. Feminine tasks - not considered as an ability.

The above statements suggest that

(A) women who are good at perceptual tasks will have their abilities go under-appreciated.
Explanation: Correct

Explanation: Too extreme to consider.

(C) having only one person rate another can hide the purpose of an experiment.
Explanation: Cannot determine from he given passage

(D) successful women are often regarded as having more masculine qualities than are their less successful peers.
Explanation: Talks about competence which is irrelevant to the question

(E) more men performed the task competently than did women.
Explanation: Irrelevant

How to determine whether an answer option is too extreme to consider?

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
A group of university researchers has found that gender bias continues [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja could you please explain why C is not correct?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aviral1995 wrote:

To be honest, I don't know what they mean by
"Meanwhile, to keep the experiment's purpose concealed, each participant's performance was rated by a single evaluator."
in the argument.

Every participant's performance was rated by the same evaluator? Or each participant was rated by only one evaluator? I see some merit in the first case but not so much in the second (which actually seems to be the intent of the statement). How does one evaluator conceal the purpose? If one person could conceal the purpose, so could two or three.

From the argument, we can say that women's success in perceptual tasks was attributed to luck so their ability would be under-rated.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Aviral1995 wrote:

"Meanwhile, to keep the experiment's purpose concealed, each participant's performance was rated by a single evaluator."
in the argument.

Every participant's performance was rated by the same evaluator? Or each participant was rated by only one evaluator? I see some merit in the first case but not so much in the second (which actually seems to be the intent of the statement). How does one evaluator conceal the purpose? If one person could conceal the purpose, so could two or three.

From the argument, we can say that women's success in perceptual tasks was attributed to luck so their ability would be under-rated.

Thanks VeritasKarishma for the explanation, i again have problem b/w option A and B
A) Women who are good at perceptual task will have their abilities go under-appreciated.
However in the argument it is stated that when women did the same, however, their success was often attributed to luck. do this cannot be true always
B) a tier-iron cannot be perceived as having feminine qualities- I think this can be inferred because -
When men proved competent at the task involving, for example, a tire-iron, their success was attributed more often to ability; when women did the same, however, their success was often attributed to luck. Conversely, when a feminine object was involved in the task, neither the women's nor the men's success was attributed to ability.
Because the word conversely is used, it can be inferred that a tire-iron cannot be perceived as having feminine qualities

Please let me know your thoughts VeritasKarishma egmat aaron
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aviral1995 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Aviral1995 wrote:

in the argument.

Thanks VeritasKarishma for the explanation, i again have problem b/w option A and B
A) Women who are good at perceptual task will have their abilities go under-appreciated.
However in the argument it is stated that when women did the same, however, their success was often attributed to luck. do this cannot be true always
B) a tier-iron cannot be perceived as having feminine qualities- I think this can be inferred because -
When men proved competent at the task involving, for example, a tire-iron, their success was attributed more often to ability; when women did the same, however, their success was often attributed to luck. Conversely, when a feminine object was involved in the task, neither the women's nor the men's success was attributed to ability.
Because the word conversely is used, it can be inferred that a tire-iron cannot be perceived as having feminine qualities

Please let me know your thoughts VeritasKarishma egmat aaron

Note what the question says: The above statements suggest that
It is not a "must be true" question.

The argument does not suggest that. It suggests that a tire-iron has masculine qualities but it does not suggest that it cannot have feminine qualities.

Anyway, don't waste too much time on this question.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts