Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 310 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 310 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 750, WE 4 Years(1.8 International) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
imsmoitra wrote:
Hi Ben,

To clarify, my work experience is almost completely in Automotive domain rather than IT. But I haven't kept Mannheim as an option because I do not know German and I've been told that it is essential to know German to work in German businesses.
As for Sloan, do you think it is a realistic shot with my profile?
Kindly reply if possible, I'd be grateful.

Posted from my mobile device

Yes, you are right! You don't need to know German to complete the course but to get a job in Germany it's essential to know German. Most of the universities in Germany have lessons to help you learn the German language to take you to a B2 level by the end of the course.

I think you have a good chance to get into MIT Sloan based on your GMAT score. The rest depends on how you draft your application and tell your story to the Admission Committee.

If you need further help shortlisting more colleges for your profile, then fill up the free profile evaluation form at https://bit.ly/2LOkgGc or reach out to one of our experts for a quick call at 8880560000
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 750, WE 4 Years(1.8 International) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi imsmoitra, Thanks for reaching out! The bad news is that you're coming from an extremely tough demographic when it comes to b-schools apps - as you pointed out! The good news is that even among this demographic (which tends to have very high GMAT scores) your GMAT is competitive, and you also have some unique experience given your automotive background. The vast majority of applicants from this demographic have worked in very technical/engineering-heavy roles in a tech firm. Your goals do align with what most people in your demographic say they want to do -- product manager in a tech firm is the #1 most cited goal, followed by consulting. That said, you could leverage your automotive experience and target something in the self-driving car space. Your foundation in the industry would be a differentiator, and would be to name a niche.

Your extracurriculars are a bit weak to be honest. They're not going to care about high school. But it's not the end of the world & there are definitely ways to overcome that weakness. Given the competitiveness of your demographic it will be critical to do everything you can to differentiate yourself -- that can come through in the accomplishments you can show at work, ideally some strong leadership examples, how you talk about your goals, etc. We have a ton of experience helping applicants like yourself get into top schools so definitely reach out if you'd like some help thinking through your strategy & the best way to tell your story. If you email Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com she can get you set up with a free consultation with one of our MBA consultants.

In terms of schools, I think you do have a shot at top 15. In Europe, I'd look at INSEAD and in the US I'd consider schools like Haas, MIT, Ross, UVA and CBS. You'd have a good shot at securing funding at Tepper & possibly at UT Austin, which would both be great options for you as well if you're hoping to get some scholarship money.

Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Profile Evaluation: GMAT 750, WE 4 Years(1.8 International) [#permalink]
Admissionado wrote:
Hi imsmoitra, Thanks for reaching out! The bad news is that you're coming from an extremely tough demographic when it comes to b-schools apps - as you pointed out! The good news is that even among this demographic (which tends to have very high GMAT scores) your GMAT is competitive, and you also have some unique experience given your automotive background. The vast majority of applicants from this demographic have worked in very technical/engineering-heavy roles in a tech firm. Your goals do align with what most people in your demographic say they want to do -- product manager in a tech firm is the #1 most cited goal, followed by consulting. That said, you could leverage your automotive experience and target something in the self-driving car space. Your foundation in the industry would be a differentiator, and would be to name a niche.

Your extracurriculars are a bit weak to be honest. They're not going to care about high school. But it's not the end of the world & there are definitely ways to overcome that weakness. Given the competitiveness of your demographic it will be critical to do everything you can to differentiate yourself -- that can come through in the accomplishments you can show at work, ideally some strong leadership examples, how you talk about your goals, etc. We have a ton of experience helping applicants like yourself get into top schools so definitely reach out if you'd like some help thinking through your strategy & the best way to tell your story. If you email Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com she can get you set up with a free consultation with one of our MBA consultants.

In terms of schools, I think you do have a shot at top 15. In Europe, I'd look at INSEAD and in the US I'd consider schools like Haas, MIT, Ross, UVA and CBS. You'd have a good shot at securing funding at Tepper & possibly at UT Austin, which would both be great options for you as well if you're hoping to get some scholarship money.

Hope that helps!

Hi Jon,

Many thanks for your thoughtful and insightful reply. As you suggested based on my background, my post mba goals can be in the self driving car space, which would make it unique and leverage my experience in that sector.

On another note, I would be requiring some scholarship money, so I'd definitely look at Tepper and UT Austin as you suggested.
One query that I have about Haas is that I have been told that they are extremely averse of admitting students from my demographic pool, is that true? Otherwise I was very much interested about UC Berkeley.

Thanks again!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Profile Evaluation: GMAT 750, WE 4 Years(1.8 International) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Haas is worth a shot but will be more in the reach category in my opinion. They get lots of applications from Indian male engineers and although you've got the unique automotive twist it's still going to be extremely competitive. One thing to know about Haas is that they care more about who you are as a person than the average school. It's not just about what you've accomplished professionally, they also want to see your character as a person & gauge whether or not you fit with the culture of the school. It's definitely worth a shot!
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts