Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [15]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2146 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Debunking myths - 620 to 740(q49, v41) [#permalink]
nrg08 wrote:
There are enough number of awesome debriefs on this forum that I feel my traditional debrief will not add any value to forum. Especially what I did to achieve score of 740 was not much different than what others have already done in the past. However, I did make few blunders along the way and wish to share those with everyone.

To start with, brief background about my GMAT experience, I started my GMAT preparation around Aug 2018 with a plan to appear for GMAT in February 2019. Around January, I started seeing the scores of close to 700 in my mock exams and hence took the exam date of February end. To my surprise, or rather shock, I scored only 620(q48, v28), which was lower than the first mock exam I had taken before starting the GMAT preparation. While I thought I was thoroughly prepared for the exam, chink in my armor was exposed. I took 2 days to introspect, took my next date from April first week and started the preparation all over again.

So what did I do differently in second attempt? I identified some myths, mostly self created, that were holding me back and worked on those :

1. Getting few questions wrong is not ok.
"...You will always end up getting few questions wrong, even if you are scoring >90 percentile...". You read this all the time on various website and forums. Whenever I got few questions wrong on my question set or during my mock exams, I did not bother me much mostly because overall accuracy for more than 80%. Although I did cursory review it to figure out the mistake and put it in the error log, I did not lose my sleep over it. In my second attempt, I prepared with the mindset that each and every mistake is a crime, at least during the prep phase. This was one significant change that changed the game for me.

2.Use GMATClub wisely.
GMATClub is awesome, with such valuable discussions from experts as well as other participants. But, if you don't know what should look for, it does more harm than good, it did for me at least. In my second attempt, I hardly referred to the forums on GMATClub. With so many experts and participants opinions, it was causing more confusion to me and was making me challenge my methods. Only when I had no clue about the solution, I referred to couple of solutions for hint, then proceeded to explore the solution on my own. That way, I was building my own approach to solve the problem, rather than rely on someone else's approach.

3. Official questions are precious.
I know how much GMATNinja has stressed on importance of referring to OG problems as much as possible. I observed one typical behavior during my preparation. Whenever I study the material provided by the prep company and then attempted their question set, my accuracy was very high. However, when I switched to OG questions or some other prep company, my accuracy dropped. So during my second attempt, I used prep company material for study, and OG for doing practice set. I had already solved OG twice before that, so being fair was little bit of a challenge. But anyways practice set was more about applying the concepts rather than getting the answers right

4. Its all about your preparation and conceptual knowledge, voodoo wont help
There is lot of content around taking the exams on the same time as mocks and during your peak attention time, eating specific stuff during section breaks, etc... and I followed them all in my first attempt. Result 620. For my second attempt, I had a late night event on the night before exam, took the exam in late evening when I am usually tired as that was the only slot available, did not care about what I do in the break and it was still fine. I believe, exam day is 99% about the preparation you have done and 1% about everything else.

5. "Gut feel" is never right with GMAT.
All throughout my first attempt, I was reasonably comfortable answering the questions, both in Quant & Verbal. At no point in the exam, I felt challenged to the point of breaking apart. Hence, I found it very difficult to digest the score of 620. On the contrary, in my second attempt, halfway through the verbal section, I was disgruntled. After completing my Quant & Verbal section, I became too casual with IR and AWA sections, as I thought I have screwed up this attempt as well.

I would like to conclude by saying that, GMAT is a predictable exam, once you have your eye set on a target score, all you need to do is lose your sleep over it !

If you feel any more details from my preparation would help you reach your target score, feel free to comment and I will be happy to share.

Congrats on your awesome score. Thanks for sharing your experience. :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Thanks for sharing all of this. It is amazing to see what is possible if you keep a few things in mind!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
nrg08 wrote:
There are enough number of awesome debriefs on this forum that I feel my traditional debrief will not add any value to forum. Especially what I did to achieve score of 740 was not much different than what others have already done in the past. However, I did make few blunders along the way and wish to share those with everyone.

To start with, brief background about my GMAT experience, I started my GMAT preparation around Aug 2018 with a plan to appear for GMAT in February 2019. Around January, I started seeing the scores of close to 700 in my mock exams and hence took the exam date of February end. To my surprise, or rather shock, I scored only 620(q48, v28), which was lower than the first mock exam I had taken before starting the GMAT preparation. While I thought I was thoroughly prepared for the exam, chink in my armor was exposed. I took 2 days to introspect, took my next date from April first week and started the preparation all over again.

So what did I do differently in second attempt? I identified some myths, mostly self created, that were holding me back and worked on those :

1. Getting few questions wrong is not ok.
"...You will always end up getting few questions wrong, even if you are scoring >90 percentile...". You read this all the time on various website and forums. Whenever I got few questions wrong on my question set or during my mock exams, I did not bother me much mostly because overall accuracy for more than 80%. Although I did cursory review it to figure out the mistake and put it in the error log, I did not lose my sleep over it. In my second attempt, I prepared with the mindset that each and every mistake is a crime, at least during the prep phase. This was one significant change that changed the game for me.

2.Use GMATClub wisely.
GMATClub is awesome, with such valuable discussions from experts as well as other participants. But, if you don't know what should look for, it does more harm than good, it did for me at least. In my second attempt, I hardly referred to the forums on GMATClub. With so many experts and participants opinions, it was causing more confusion to me and was making me challenge my methods. Only when I had no clue about the solution, I referred to couple of solutions for hint, then proceeded to explore the solution on my own. That way, I was building my own approach to solve the problem, rather than rely on someone else's approach.

3. Official questions are precious.
I know how much GMATNinja has stressed on importance of referring to OG problems as much as possible. I observed one typical behavior during my preparation. Whenever I study the material provided by the prep company and then attempted their question set, my accuracy was very high. However, when I switched to OG questions or some other prep company, my accuracy dropped. So during my second attempt, I used prep company material for study, and OG for doing practice set. I had already solved OG twice before that, so being fair was little bit of a challenge. But anyways practice set was more about applying the concepts rather than getting the answers right

4. Its all about your preparation and conceptual knowledge, voodoo wont help
There is lot of content around taking the exams on the same time as mocks and during your peak attention time, eating specific stuff during section breaks, etc... and I followed them all in my first attempt. Result 620. For my second attempt, I had a late night event on the night before exam, took the exam in late evening when I am usually tired as that was the only slot available, did not care about what I do in the break and it was still fine. I believe, exam day is 99% about the preparation you have done and 1% about everything else.

5. "Gut feel" is never right with GMAT.
All throughout my first attempt, I was reasonably comfortable answering the questions, both in Quant & Verbal. At no point in the exam, I felt challenged to the point of breaking apart. Hence, I found it very difficult to digest the score of 620. On the contrary, in my second attempt, halfway through the verbal section, I was disgruntled. After completing my Quant & Verbal section, I became too casual with IR and AWA sections, as I thought I have screwed up this attempt as well.

I would like to conclude by saying that, GMAT is a predictable exam, once you have your eye set on a target score, all you need to do is lose your sleep over it !

If you feel any more details from my preparation would help you reach your target score, feel free to comment and I will be happy to share.

Congratulation for such a stellar performance.
What material did you use for your preparation?
Did you a take exam date first & then started preparing for the exam or vice versa?
What plan did you follow for your exam?how many hours of effort per day did you put in?

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Hi there, first of all, congratulations and thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
I didn't quite catch what you mean here : "Whenever I study the material provided by the prep company and then attempted their question set, my accuracy was very high. However, when I switched to OG questions or some other prep company, my accuracy dropped."

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sonusaini1

What material did you use for your preparation?
OG 2019
Manhattan GMAT
eGMAT for verbal

Did you a take exam date first & then started preparing for the exam or vice versa?
I took the exam date when I crossed my target score in GMATPrep Mock exam. Exam dates were easily available at the exam center near me, so I was in no rush to book the exam date.

What plan did you follow for your exam?how many hours of effort per day did you put in?
On an average, 3 hours per day on weekdays and 6 hours per day on weekends, with mock exam every 2 weeks. I followed this schedule for almost 4 months. Weekday was split into 2 hours verbal and 1 hour of quant almost every single day. Weekend was for reviewing error log, taking mock exams, and reviewing incorrect practice questions during the week. Before 1st attempt, target was to score 80% accuracy for hard question types, 95% for medium and easy question types. After 1st attempt, I stopped tracking accuracy and started tracking each and every mistake (topic/subtopic/difficulty/reason for getting it incorrect), rather than looking at gross percentages.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
lynnglenda

After going through Manhattan GMAT books, i tried practice set from Manhattan question bank & mock exam and my accuracy was high. Once I was comfortable with that topic, I tried the OG question bank for similar topics but my accuracy was going down considerably. I had similar experience while switching from eGMAT Scholarianium to OG as well. This was specifically true for Verbal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Congratulations on your great score. Wishing you all the best in your endeavours. Cheers

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Congratulation on your great score (740)!!!!!!!!!

Which school will you apply to, nrg08?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2220 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Congratulations nrg08 on the 740!!

A very well articulated post!

All the best for apps!
GMAT Club Bot