Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: Duke '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2207 [1]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Vanderbilt Vs Marshall [#permalink]
I would choose Owen over Marshall 100 times out of 100, and I would choose Nashville over LA 100 times out of 100.

HOWEVER, I was not an international student who would've benefited (potentially a lot) from the STEM aspect. Also, I was not dead-set on pursuing Tech, even though that's where I ended up. So you're in a different spot than I was... I think you can make an argument for either option here.

BTW, beyond just the strict ROI and job placement, it is worth also considering that these programs will be very different. USC has a different vibe than Vandy, and LA is totally different from Nashville.

Are you more interested in a small, friendly, Southern community feel (albeit in the midsts of booming Nashville), or are you the more cosmopolitan type that really needs/loves the diversity and options available in a metropolis like LA? I would also consider that.

Good luck with your decision!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Vanderbilt Vs Marshall [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Congrats on your admits!

I think if you were a domestic applicant, it would be a nice deal for Owen. With STEM and H1B - it is a gamble. On one hand it may pay off huge but on the other, they may pass an immigration reform they are talking about that may prioritize MBA grads so you would not benefit from it. Also, how much is the STEM option? Would you be graduating in 3 years instead of 2? When do you have to make your choice about the MS in Analytics or what path are you taking to STEM?

P.S.
The latest rankings favor Marshall - it has been climbing lately and jumping spots but that's very recent. A few years ago, Owen was within the Top 25. I know it is a bit of an extreme but just a few years ago, Owen was #22 and Marshall 31 so I would not look at just a snapshot of rankings.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Send PM
Little off topic here.
I have heard great things about Nashville from multiple people. Are you from Nashville? I am just curious why you think it is such a great place (the intention here is purely driven by curiosity). Thanks!

teleste wrote:
I would choose Owen over Marshall 100 times out of 100, and I would choose Nashville over LA 100 times out of 100.

HOWEVER, I was not an international student who would've benefited (potentially a lot) from the STEM aspect. Also, I was not dead-set on pursuing Tech, even though that's where I ended up. So you're in a different spot than I was... I think you can make an argument for either option here.

BTW, beyond just the strict ROI and job placement, it is worth also considering that these programs will be very different. USC has a different vibe than Vandy, and LA is totally different from Nashville.

Are you more interested in a small, friendly, Southern community feel (albeit in the midsts of booming Nashville), or are you the more cosmopolitan type that really needs/loves the diversity and options available in a metropolis like LA? I would also consider that.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mba2019pa wrote:
Little off topic here.
I have heard great things about Nashville from multiple people. Are you from Nashville? I am just curious why you think it is such a great place (the intention here is purely driven by curiosity). Thanks!

teleste wrote:

If you look at Teleste's profile, right under his/her avatar, you will see that they have attended Owen (Vanderbilt), which means they have obviously lived in Nashville.
I have heard lots of positive things about Nashville and also am a fan of the Hot Fried Chicken craze wave that started there. The music industry makes it a very cosmopolitan city that appeals to those who are not happy with LA Traffic or Austin heat. I have had many friends of friends move/consider moving to Nashville and be quite excited about it. It seems like a great place to live, though I am not sure if that's where you will settle after BSchool as there are not as many opportunities as in Chicago or New York for example.

In terms of LA, I am a bit jaded and while there are many mid-management opportunities in Los Angeles, they are operations-based and not sexy (not that the Amazon's MBA positions that sexy). LA has very few headquarters due to the CA's aggressive taxation and business climate that seems to be forcing everyone except perhaps Mattel and Amgen to go elsewhere. Los Angeles is the small-business heaven with Movie and Space being the two main industries.

-BB.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
If you want to do an MBA, you want to have good access to businesses around the school for quick networking, interviews and entrepreneurial meetups.
If you’re spending 2 years getting an MBA and spending the thousands of $$$$, you want to get these benefits... I know there are good schools in the smaller cities like UVA, Vanderbilt, etc... , but that doesn't beat the advantage of being in a big city.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Schools: Owen '21
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Nashville>>LA. I say that as an international living in California currently. You are never alone in Nashville as people care for you. Nashville is no longer a small city. Ask someone who has been here in the last 2 year. They call it Crane ville now, for the massive construction happening here.

As for Tech, Healthcare tech is big here and Amazon is coming in few months.
Does healthcare tech excite you? If yes, pack your bags and come to Vandy.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Send PM
What is healthcare tech exactly? Love to know.

Shredder wrote:
Nashville>>LA. I say that as an international living in California currently. You are never alone in Nashville as people care for you. Nashville is no longer a small city. Ask someone who has been here in the last 2 year. They call it Crane ville now, for the massive construction happening here.

As for Tech, Healthcare tech is big here and Amazon is coming in few months.
Does healthcare tech excite you? If yes, pack your bags and come to Vandy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Schools: Owen '21
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
For example HCA. It's a healthcare giant based in Nashville.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [3]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Kudos
FWIW, I saw Owen announced this today:
https://business.vanderbilt.edu/news/20 ... n-linkedin
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
teleste wrote:
FWIW, I saw Owen announced this today:
https://business.vanderbilt.edu/news/20 ... n-linkedin

This is huge! ESP for an MBA concentration and not an extra semester or year MSc program. I don’t think I have seen many/any programs that have STEM designation by default. Most require extra classes/credits in addition to the mba coursework.

Super Cool!

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
OyelakinOlu wrote:
Please I got Vanderbilt Owen with 70k off tuition and Marshall with nothing. Post MBA career is Technology with a future in Tech Entrepreneurship. Marshall now has STEM option so I can work for 3 years. Vanderbilt does not even have Entrepreneurship as a concentration?

What do you think?

Hello OyelakinOlu

Congtras on admission ;)

Yeah, it is common for Finance specialization to be (recognized as) STEM, since nowadays any serious Finance program will be very Quantitative in nature (math, stat, programming).

What Vanderbilt Owen did here, was a very smart move to make sure that their MBA program with Finance specialization become evaluated as STEM in order to allure (international) students and make this program very attractive.

Keeping in mind that you are international student with 70k offer and STEM option, in this setting Vanderbilt comes as clear winner :cool:

Regarding your interest, I can see elective Private Equity and Venture Capital in Finance specialization, which is close enough to Entrepreneurship as subject/topic.

I dont see FinTech as separate topic, but it may be touched on some of courses.

Think no further go to Vanderbilt.

Good Luck :cool:
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts