Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 702 [105]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [32]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [4]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Re: A South American bird that forages for winged termites and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Tommy
Until I saw your post, I was convinced that generalization on "which" is hopeless - I couldn't generalize anything about the which "physical touch".

And I was following these rules about which
1. which can refer a noun (non living, animal but not human being)
2. which cannot modify a sentence / clause. To modify preceding clause use comma + ing
3. which without comma is fatal.
4. which may not physically touch the modifiee

See these sentences :
a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds ----> which modifies canoe.

A substance from the licorice plant, which was recently discovered to be 50 times sweeter than sucrose ---> which modifies "substance"

The Great Palace of Siam, which was built in 1250, is beautiful. ---> which modifies Great Palace

Straight one -
A newly developed jumbo rocket, which is expected to carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration, will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle can, and at a lower cost. ---> which modifies rocket.

But then your post -

The king of Russia, who is coming to town tomorrow, is fat. --->
it's actually modifying the entire modified noun "The king of Russia"

Kind of enlightening !
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey Nusma,

Glad to help! And in your examples, you can see how the rule applies:

a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds ----> which modifies canoe. [This is because "a canoe" is already modified TWICE, by the prepositional phrase "about twenty feet long and two feet wide" and the prepositional phrase "with small ribs and rails of cedar". So we're still touching the ENTIRE modified noun.]

A substance from the licorice plant, which was recently discovered to be 50 times sweeter than sucrose ---> which modifies "substance" [This is because the prepositional phrase "from the licorice plant" is already modifying substance, so we're still touching the ENTIRE modified noun.]

The Great Palace of Siam, which was built in 1250, is beautiful. ---> which modifies Great Palace [Same as above!]

Sweet!

-t
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [2]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Tommy,

Thanks for your clarification.

I wish to understand if there are two answer choices given for this question . which one will u choose and why

1) graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is

2) graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is

The only reason to ask this is that i wish to understand how important is which in these options or which can't at all be chosen as an answer choice.

Thanks,
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Hirendhanak,

The problem with the second example is that the sentence never actually resolves (with a verb). Watch. Everything in brackets is a modifier...

[A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees], the graveteiro, [which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is represented in virtually every kind of habitat].

See? We are now missing the actual verb that goes with the subject "the graveteiro". In the other answer choice, the verb "belongs" is a main verb, so it creates a full sentence. Does that make sense?

-t
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [7]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while
swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees, the graveteiro belongs to the
ovenbird family,
a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230
species and that are represented in virtually every kind of habitat.

thus the reduced stem : A group THAT includes more than 230 species and THAT are represented in .................

The intent : The sentence reveals something about a Group = WHAT?

1. A group THAT..................includes more than 230 species

2. A group THAT..................are represented in every kind of habitat

A group ( SINGULAR ) ============== should pair with SINGULAR VERB

Vertical scan revals only B to fit :

B : A Group ........THAT INCLUDES........................AND.....................THAT IS represented = (Parallel & A group - Sin pairs perfectly with Sing verbs includes & IS )
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [3]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
B is correct .A group is always singular .I am not sure whether the rule you have mentioned is correct.Where did you come across it .?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees, the graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are represented in virtually every kind of habitat.

, the graveteiro (with comma) is our main enemy here. :evil: It confuses us to determine the main verb of the whole sentence! :twisted: If we take a look at the sentence once more without , the graveteiro here what it looks like :P :

A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are represented in virtually every kind of habitat.

So the sentence above is clearer. If we try once more removing the , the graveteiro :x on the choices

A. belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are

B. belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is

C. belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that include more than 230 species and is

D. , which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are

E. , which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is

Now, through correct comprehension that the main verbs are belongs and is represented

Quote:
A bird [belongs to the family, a group that (includes species)] and [is represented].

We know that these comprehensions are wrong: :lol:
1. a group is represented
2. tropical birds include
.... sounds really funny here :lol: It's like saying "Birds are including humans."

So now we are between B and C with s-v agreement issues. :?:

Hence, B. :o
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bookmarks
In option E

graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that
includes more than 230 species and is

which - refers to graveteiro.
a group of - refers to graveteiro.

Grammatically too, it make sense to me. Can someone help me here with my understanding and way of approaching?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [9]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
alokkumargupta wrote:
In option E

graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that
includes more than 230 species and is

which - refers to graveteiro.
a group of - refers to graveteiro.

Grammatically too, it make sense to me. Can someone help me here with my understanding and way of approaching?

In option E, if we notice the structure of the sentence, the sentence with option E does not have any Independent clause (in other words, there is no main verb in the sentence). So, option E is not a sentence at all. Let’s look at the structure more closely. With option E, the sentence is:

A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees, the graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is represented in virtually every kind of habitat.

By deconstructing the sentence:

Phrase (<A South American bird>) Dependent clause (<that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees >), Phrase (<the graveteiro>), Dependent clause (<which belongs to the ovenbird family>), Phrase (<a group of New World tropical birds>) Dependent clause (<that includes more than 230 species and is represented in virtually every kind of habitat>).

As we see, there is no Independent clause in this sentence. Hence, it is incorrect.

On the other hand, option B has an Independent clause: graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Dependent/Independent clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [3]
Given Kudos: 287
Send PM
Kudos
Hmm..
A and D are eliminated straight away
c is a trap
I have a small doubt in eliminating choice E.
I was down to 2 options B and E;
I have eliminated E because Which is a non essential modifier. So we read the sentence as

graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical
birds that includes more than 230 species and is

Now , group in the sentence is referring to graveteiro which is not the correct reference!.

Please correct me if my thought process is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
I had a question regarding C. If it said "A group of birds that include more than 230 species and that are" that would be correct, right? Since that points to birds.

If this question were to appear on the test and the example I listed above appeared vs Answer Choice B, which one would be correct?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos