Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [21]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 378
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
The CEO of Burberry, Angela Ahrendts, who has built some incredibly te [#permalink]
mikemcgarry : Hi Mike - can you please help me understand the usage of "had built" in the correct choice.... if it is in past perfect tense what is the prior related event ?

had+ past participle would be in the past perfect tense ?
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Re: The CEO of Burberry, Angela Ahrendts, who has built some incredibly te [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
mikemcgarry : Hey Mike- I chose the answer E, but can you confirm the usage of WHERE in the options. I remember that where in the gmat can only refer to physical places. Is the usage apt here? Thanks

Dear bkpolymers1617,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, on the GMAT, "where" is appropriate for any physical location. It may be a geographic location (a country, a city, a town, a mountain, a lake, the Moon etc.) or it may be any manmade location (a building, a room in a building, a bridge, a sports arena, etc.). Conceivably, it could even be used for, say, a place on a train or a place on a cruise liner--all of these are still physical places. GMAT SC doesn't typically talk about geometric diagrams, but conceivably, we could even use "where" for a place in such a diagram. In this SC question, the reference is to a brick-and-mortar store, so that's absolutely fine.

What would not be a legitimate use of "where"? Humans use the metaphor of space and spatial relationships to discuss all kinds of abstract arguments.
" . . . the place in the argument where Aristotle said . . . "
" . . . the place in the story where the author revealed . . . "
" . . . the stage of life where a young woman first feels . . . "
" . . . the low point of a recession where leading economic indicators suggest . . . "
All of those are inappropriate, because those are not physical places. They are metaphorical places, and so the GMAT would frown on the use of "where." Similarly, I think I would have to say that we should refer to websites, individual URLs, with "where," because a "place" on the world wide web is not a physical location.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Dear mikemcgarry,

Your response is always on demand :-)

The OA is the best among the choices provided above. However, I find the past perfect tense is somehow useless here.

My thoughts:
Someone could interpret that 'building of stores' was prior action to 'joining the company as VP' but I think both maybe independent so past perfect is unjustified. Also, the sequence of tenses of 'had built' and 'has been influential' is strange. I think also that we do not need 'had build'. It could be 'built....... and has been'.

Bottom line: using 'built' is better than 'had built'

I do not know if I'm correct or not. What do you think about the verb tenses used in the OA?

Your insightful critic about the quality of the question at hand is really appreciated.

Thanks
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [4]
Re: The CEO of Burberry, Angela Ahrendts, who has built some incredibly te [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Tan2017 wrote:
mikemcgarry : Hi Mike - can you please help me understand the usage of "had built" in the correct choice.... if it is in past perfect tense what is the prior related event ?

had+ past participle would be in the past perfect tense ?

Dear Tan2017,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's the full sentence version of (E), the OA.
Angela Ahrendts, who, as CEO of Burberry, had built some incredibly tech-savvy retail stores, where people can use their smart-phones to learn more about a product, and has been influential on fashion industry, joined Apple as Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores.
The main verb, the only verb that's not part of the noun modifying clause is "joined," a past tense verb. The suggestion is that, relatively recently, Ms. Ahrendts, who is a real person, "joined Apple" as a big VP. That's the recent past event. BTW, Ms. Ahrendts was ranked 25th most powerful woman in the world o Forbes 2015 list. Pretty cool!

The event before this in time is what Ms. Ahrendts did in her previous job, as "CEO of Burberry." This explains the use of the past perfect.

That's the short answer. See more discussion below.
Mo2men wrote:
Dear mikemcgarry,

Your response is always on demand :-)

The OA is the best among the choices provided above. However, I find the past perfect tense is somehow useless here.

My thoughts:
Someone could interpret that 'building of stores' was prior action to 'joining the company as VP' but I think both maybe independent so past perfect is unjustified. Also, the sequence of tenses of 'had built' and 'has been influential' is strange. I think also that we do not need 'had build'. It could be 'built....... and has been'.

Bottom line: using 'built' is better than 'had built'

I do not know if I'm correct or not. What do you think about the verb tenses used in the OA?

Your insightful critic about the quality of the question at hand is really appreciated.

Thanks

Dear Mo2men,

I'm happy to respond, my friend. :-)

This is a GMAT Club Test. This always makes me suspicious. The Quant on the GC Tests is uniformly superb, because all that has been vetted by the genius Bunuel. The quality of the Verbal questions, though, varies.

Part of the problem here is that the prompt version, (A), is so atrociously wrong that it leaves us guessing a bit. That is not a feature of official questions: official questions are logically tighter.

To some extent, this question is asking us to look beyond the grammar to the meaning. Official questions sometimes do this. Quite simply, would Mr. Ahrendts' activity as the "CEO of Burberry" be essentially simultaneous with joining Apple as a VP? On the one hand, basic marketplace logic tells us that one has to leave one job in order to accept another. On the other hand, I don't know if the official questions would make us lean that heavily on extra-grammatical logic. The official questions don't leave quite so much to deduction.

Again, here's (E):
Angela Ahrendts, who, as CEO of Burberry, had built some incredibly tech-savvy retail stores, where people can use their smart-phones to learn more about a product, and has been influential on fashion industry, joined Apple as Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores.
"had built" = completed past action in relatively distant past
"has been" = present perfect = begun in the past and continuing to the present
This certainly works. The building of stores happened only when she at her old job. Someone else might still be building those fancy stores, but that would no longer be Ms. Ahrendts activity. Her activity there is definitely done, and as part of her old job, had to proceed accepting her new job. By contrast, it may well be that she is still an influence in the "fashion industry"--an influence that started in the past and continues to the present moment. There's not problem with these two tenses. Two verbs in parallel do NOT have to be in the same tense. See:
GMAT Grammar Rules: Parallelism and Verb Tenses

BTW, the term "sequence of tenses" does not accurately describe this scenario--that's a whole other situation, irrelevant to this sentence. See:
Sequence of Tenses on GMAT Sentence Correction

Overall, I don't think this is the most well designed SC question. I don't know that I have seen any SC questions from the GC tests approach the high standards of the GMAT.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [1]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
The CEO of Burberry, Angela Ahrendts, who has built some incredibly tech-savvy retail stores, where people can use their smart-phones to learn more about a product , is influential on fashion industry, has joined Apple as Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores.

A. The CEO of Burberry, Angela Ahrendts, who has built some incredibly tech-savvy retail stores, where people can use their smart-phones to learn more about a product , is influential on fashion industry, has

B. Angela Ahrendts, who, as CEO of Burberry, has built some incredibly tech-savvy retail stores, where people can use their smart-phones to learn more about a product , was not only influential on fashion industry, but also

C. The CEO of Burberry, Angela Ahrendts, building some incredibly tech-savvy retail stores, where people can use their smart-phones to learn more about a product, and influencing fashion industry,

D. Angela Ahrendts, as CEO of Burberry, had built some incredibly tech-savvy retail stores, where people can use their smart-phones to learn more about a product, has been influential on fashion industry,

E. Angela Ahrendts, who, as CEO of Burberry, had built some incredibly tech-savvy retail stores, where people can use their smart-phones to learn more about a product, and has been influential on fashion industry,

EXPERTS- This question is from gmat club tests, but when I tried googling it, I could not find any discussion feed. I am posting it here to check whether this question uses "Where" correctly. I don't find its usage very apt. Thanks

Dear mikemcgarry , I choose C here. Would you please elaborate more, what is wrong with C?

"Building" and "Influencing" here seems parallel to me, and they become modifier of Angela Ahrendts.

Thanks you for your explanation!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
Send PM
Hi mikemcgarry,

I am posting the original sentence again :

The CEO of Burberry, Angela Ahrendts, who has built some incredibly tech-savvy retail stores, where people can use their smart-phones to learn more about a product , is influential on fashion industry, has joined Apple as Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores.

Now, my question is that does the 'WHO' refer to Angela Ahrendts or to the CEO of Burberry. I do understand that Angela Ahrendts is used as an appositive for the CEO of Burberry but if that 'WHO' refers to Angela Ahrendts then the original sentence just means that she built those incredibly tech-savy retail stores, not necessarily at Burberry (As the CEO of Burberry).
On the contrary if that 'WHO' refers to the CEO of Burberry then it definitely means that Angela Ahrendts built those tech-savy retail stores at Burberry and the OA 'E' would make a lot more sense to me.

Thanks Much !!!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [3]
Kudos