Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2216 [55]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [12]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [8]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Wow, this one is very difficult.!
IMO, it is A.

These are my reasons:

gmatpapa wrote:
Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated for the purpose of producing foods and goods, providing faster transportation, and serving as pets for amusement as early as the Stone Age.

(1) Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated
(2) Animals which used to be feral , such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated - "Used to be" slightly changes the meaning. This change elimnates the idea that these animals were feral at the begining.
(3) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and have since been domesticated - We don't know whether "have since been..." is parallel with "are" or "were". It is not clear. If it is parallel with "are", the meaning changes.
(4) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and had been domesticated - Past perfect is not necessary.
(5) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and were domesticated - "Were" is wrong. This implies that these animals are not domesticated in the present.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2216 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
OA is E.

OE: This answer choice correctly uses the Past Simple (were domesticated) to describe an action that occurred at a specific point in the past (as early as the Stone Age).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1069 [3]
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
Send PM
Re: Animals that were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink]
Kudos
Animals that were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated for the purpose of producing foods and goods, providing faster transportation, and serving as pets for amusement as early as the Stone Age.

A) Animals that were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated >>> such as introducing examples for feral not for animals
B) Animals that used to be feral , such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have undergone domestication >>> active voice is wrong, were domesticated by human, again such as int. exp. for feral
C) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals that were originally feral and have since been domesticated >>> gives the meaning that domestication still continues, however it is done
D) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals that were originally feral and had undergone domestication >>> gives the meaning that domestication occurred prior to being feral
E) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals that were originally feral and were domesticated >>> meaning intact and grammatically past tense is accurate to apply.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Animals that were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink]
Hi all,sayantanc2k
I couldn't figure out how could "E" be the correct answer. Isn't the given list of animals still be domesticated till now? The usage of past simple makes me think that the domestication is no more.

Also,choice E is a bit wordier. "are examples of animal.." vs "such as"
In my 2 cents,I think A is a better choice.

Could you please elaborate my reasoning?

Originally posted by sleepynut on 09 Jan 2017, 03:30.
Last edited by sleepynut on 09 Jan 2017, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Animals that were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sleepynut wrote:
Hi all,sayantanc2k
I couldn't figure out how could "E" be the correct answer. Isn't the given list of animals still be domesticated till now? The usage of past simple makes me think that the domestication is no more.

Also,choice E is a bit wordier. "are examples of animal.." vs "such as"
In my 2 cents,I think A is a better choice.

Could be please elaborate my reasoning?

Your first point:
Here individual dogs, horses, or sheep are not considered - dogs, horses, and sheep refer to the respective species as a whole. The species were previously wild, but at some point in the past, they were domesticated. Now these animals are considered domestic animals. Hence simple past is alright.
(In case you consider individual animals: As soon as a individual dog is born, it is considered a domestic animal. )

Your second point:
"Animals such as dogs, horses, and sheep were originally feral" ... this is stylistically better than "Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals that were..."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: Rotman '20
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated for the purpose of producing foods and goods, providing faster transportation, and serving as pets for amusement as early as the Stone Age.

(1) Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated
(2) Animals which used to be feral , such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated
(3) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and have since been domesticated
(4) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and had been domesticated
(5) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and were domesticated

Read the non-underlined portion and mark the word"as early as" the stone age
that means when stone age started and it does not mean "since"

now the phenomena is regarding two past events
so HAD BEEN is wrong because first feral then domesticated.
have been also wrong due to earlier mentioned statement also see for the purpose of something.that means it indicates a time frame in the past in which something started for a purpose.so present continous is wrong.
E IS OA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
bharatg wrote:
I'd first look at the splits among the answer choices. (A) and (B) clearly begin differently from (C), (D), and (E), so I'd make my first decision based around that difference. In this case, I'd rule out (A) and (B) because the subject of the sentence in those options is all animals which were originally feral, and dogs, horses, and sheep are simply being given as sort of "optional" examples, so these two options wrongly make a statement about all originally-feral animals.

So we're down to (C), (D), and (E), and at this point I'd note the splits we see at the end of those options. We have to choose among "have since been domesticated," "had been domesticated," and "were domesticated." I'd rule out (D) right away, because I'd only use that past perfect ("had been domesticated") if I needed to situate the domesticating prior in time to the being feral -- and doing so would be illogical, since you're not feral anymore once you're domesticated. As between (C) and (E), they both seem good... UNTIL I fit them back into the unchangeable parts of the sentence. But when I do that, I see the "as early as the Stone Age" at the end of the sentence. It doesn't make sense to say "have since been domesticated as early as the Stone Age," because "have...been domesticated" is a present perfect verb form, and you'd only use the present perfect to relate something to the present (as in "I am not (now) hungry, because I have eaten"). You couldn't use present perfect to situate the beginning of a process in the Stone Age. So we need to stick with the regular past ("were domesticated"). It works well to say "were domesticated as early as the Stone Age.

Reasoning in the most beautiful way. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Quote:

(2) Animals which used to be feral , such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated
(3) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and have since been domesticated
(4) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and had been domesticated
(5) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and were domesticated

Right answer should be E.

Firstly, there is a split between A,B and C,D,E. The "providing.... , and serving as pets" has to be parallel with the animals themselves, so A and B are out.

Then it becomes a question of tense. Domestication is NOT still in the process of happening, this is an event in the past. Hence, C and D can be eliminated, leaving E as the right answer.

- Matoo
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink]
In option E, . I have two doubts:

1) The first half is in active voice and other half is in passive. Such sentences are parallel on GMAT?

2) The sentence is a bit ambiguous in terms of parallelism.
Which one of the below mentioned is parallel:

Case 1: Dogs, horses, and sheep
--are examples of animals which were originally feral
and
--were domesticated

0r

Case 2: Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which
--were originally feral
and
--were domesticated

Please share your insight
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
jim441

It's fine to switch from active to passive if it correctly conveys the meaning. Here, the animals simply WERE feral. They existed in that state. Then they were domesticated. Someone did that to them. It's like saying "I escaped, but then I was captured." First active, then passive.

As for the parallelism, we need meaning as a guide here, too. Your Case 1 doesn't hang together as a sentence. Why would the author separately say that these animals are EXAMPLES of animals that were feral, and then that these same animals were domesticated? This doesn't show the connection between the two ideas. Once they were feral, but now they have been domesticated. All three animals are examples of that process.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
gmatpapa wrote:

Concepts tested here: Tenses

• The simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.
• The present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.
• If a sentence contains multiple past actions, the past perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “had”) is used to refer to all but the most recent action; the simple past tense is used to refer to the most recent action.

A: Trap.
1/ This answer choice incorrectly uses the present perfect tense verb "have been domesticated" to refer to an action that concluded in the past; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past, and the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.

B: Trap.
1/ This answer choice incorrectly uses the present perfect tense verb "have been domesticated" to refer to an action that concluded in the past; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past, and the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.

C: Trap.

D:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly uses the past perfect tense verb "had been domesticated" to refer to the later of two actions that concluded in the past - certain animals originally being feral and those animals being domesticated; remember, if a sentence contains multiple past actions, the past perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “had”) is used to refer to all but the most recent action; the simple past tense is used to refer to the most recent action.

E: Correct.
1/ This answer choice correctly uses the simple past tense verb "were domesticated" to refer to the later of two actions that concluded in the past - certain animals originally being feral and those animals being domesticated.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Past Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts