Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Sourav700 wrote:
Hi,

I usually tend to get confused on sentences which offer a choice between (including that/those of) and (including).

Would anyone care to explain why D is the most appropriate answer choice?

(C) female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
(D) female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including

generis GMATNinja chetan2u

Both including and including those of are correct and the usage would depend on the meaning..
Here we want to give examples of birds after including, so THOSE OF is wrong..
However if we had a sentence -
female cowbirds use the nests, including those of other birds, to lay eggs.... Here those means nests
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Schools: IMD '21
Send PM
Re: Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays u [#permalink]
there is no comparison issue here, right?

Because at first, it sounds like they are comparing NESTS of other birds with the other birds, which is illogical. But after re reading the sentence, i do not see any comparison triggers such as like/than/and.

For example if i say: "During recess time, I clean up the desks of my classmates, including Adam, Brad, and Charlie."

Is the sentence above correct? Because to me, it sounds like the list in the end should be "Adam's, Brad's, and Charlie's" My logic is the parallelism issue here that the middle part of the sentence is talking about "desks of my classmates" so the last part should also refer to their desks and not themselves?

Can someone help my understand better please? Thanks.

I'm really guessing that there's no parallelism issue here, I just need someone to confirm.

GMATNinja daagh mikemcgarry
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Diwabag wrote:
there is no comparison issue here, right?

Because at first, it sounds like they are comparing NESTS of other birds with the other birds, which is illogical. But after re reading the sentence, i do not see any comparison triggers such as like/than/and.

For example if i say: "During recess time, I clean up the desks of my classmates, including Adam, Brad, and Charlie."

Is the sentence above correct? Because to me, it sounds like the list in the end should be "Adam's, Brad's, and Charlie's" My logic is the parallelism issue here that the middle part of the sentence is talking about "desks of my classmates" so the last part should also refer to their desks and not themselves?

Can someone help my understand better please? Thanks.

I'm really guessing that there's no parallelism issue here, I just need someone to confirm.

GMATNinja daagh mikemcgarry

This is a valid concern, but we don't really have a choice here. (B) and (C) are both out because "those of" seems to refer to the "eggs of other birds." Obviously a cowbird doesn't lay the actual eggs of other birds, so that wouldn't make any sense.

(A), (D), and (E) all end with "in the nests of other birds, including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes," so we don't actually have to worry about this point! Could we instead say, "in the nests of other birds, including THOSE OF warblers, vireos, etc."? Sure, but is that necessary? The correct meaning is already clear without adding "those of".

Because the remaining options are identical at the end and because the absence of "those of" does not cause any obvious problems or break any specific grammar rules, we can move on to other decision points. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
(D) female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including

In the answer choice D we can see a comma before the word "including" which modifies immediately preceding noun "other birds", as we know we do not need a comma for verb-ing modifier which modifies immediately preceding noun. Do we really need a comma before including?
For example, Marry noticed a beautiful bouquet releasing a pleasant aroma.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Uktamjon wrote:

In the answer choice D we can see a comma before the word "including" which modifies immediately preceding noun "other birds", as we know we do not need a comma for verb-ing modifier which modifies immediately preceding noun. Do we really need a comma before including?
For example, Marry noticed a beautiful bouquet releasing a pleasant aroma.

In my opinion, the usage of a verb-ing is correct even without a comma depending on the sentence structure. However, have a look at these two sentences and notice the change in meaning without and with a comma:

Marry noticed a beautiful bouquet releasing a pleasant aroma -->bouquet is the doer of the action of releasing.

Marry noticed a beautiful bouquet, releasing a pleasant aroma-->Here it seems to me Marry is the doer of releasing a pleasant aroma after having noticed a beautiful bouquet (haha!) :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Bookmarks
cathygeorge123

Including is an exception in the sense that it is not treated as an ing modifier that modifies preceding action.

Including modifies nearest noun and tell you about what that noun includes amongst many others.

For eg in above example “including” modifies birds and gives information about the few types of birds amongst many

I have had issues with including in the past as well but got it resolved later

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi cathygeorge123, this indeed creates confusion.

The thing is that including is not really a present participle, but actually a preposition. Hence, the general rules of participial phrases do not apply to including.

including can modify the Noun or Noun-Phrase immediately before the word including.

An officially correct sentence:

A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population, including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits.

Notice how including modifies a rather far-away noun remedies.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a special note on the usage of including. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Including.pdf [10.85 KiB]
Downloaded 54 times

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi cathygeorge123, this indeed creates confusion.

The thing is that including is not really a present participle, but actually a preposition. Hence, the general rules of participial phrases do not apply to including.

including can modify the Noun or Noun-Phrase immediately before the word including.

An officially correct sentence:

A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population, including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits.

Notice how including modifies a rather far-away noun remedies.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a special note on the usage of including. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.

EducationAisle

Hello Ashish, Thanks for the example that shows how including can modify far-away noun.

May I know if including follows the same rule as other noun modifiers - which or that - as far as modifying far-away nouns are concerned? i.e. an essential noun modifier might fall before a comma and 'including' can then modify the far-away noun
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
shameekv1989 wrote:
May I know if including follows the same rule as other noun modifiers - which or that - as far as modifying far-away nouns are concerned? i.e. an essential noun modifier might fall before a comma and 'including' can then modify the far-away noun

Well, which is considerably less likely than that, to modify a far-away noun.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses "which vs that" modifier issue, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [5]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shameekv1989 wrote:
EducationAisle

Hello Ashish, Thanks for the example that shows how including can modify far-away noun.

Hello shameekv1989,

You correctly say that comma + including... is an exception to the usage of the comma + verb-ing modifier as an action modifier. The word including, even if preceded by a comma and placed after a clause, the word including ALWAYS acts as a noun modifier. It always associates with the logical noun entity in the sentence. This logical noun entity can be right before including or far-away in the sentence.

Notice the usage of including in the following official sentence:

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity, including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.

In this official sentence, the word including modifies the far-away noun a series of printed instructions because per the context of the sentence, this is the only noun entity that including can logically modify.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Send PM
egmat wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:
EducationAisle

Hello shameekv1989,

You correctly say that comma + including... is an exception to the usage of the comma + verb-ing modifier as an action modifier. The word including, even if preceded by a comma and placed after a clause, the word including ALWAYS acts as a noun modifier. It always associates with the logical noun entity in the sentence. This logical noun entity can be right before including or far-away in the sentence.

Notice the usage of including in the following official sentence:

The principal feature of the redesigned checks is a series of printed instructions that the company hopes will help merchants confirm a check’s authenticity, including reminders to watch the endorsement, compare signatures, and view the watermark while holding the check to the light.

In this official sentence, the word including modifies the far-away noun a series of printed instructions because per the context of the sentence, this is the only noun entity that including can logically modify.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

egmat

Thanks Shradhha for the example, though I have another question now -> in the above example a noun that including is modifying is separated by a whole that clause. Can a "which" or "that" or other noun modifiers such as "-ed modifiers" or "ing modifier without a comma" do the same? I thought they can be separated only by an essential prepositional phrase acting as an adjectival modifier.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos