Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
prashanths wrote:
Hi,

I would like you to kindly review my profile.

GMAT : 700 - will retake once again in August

Bachelor's : Anna University, Computer Science, graduated with distinction in 2012

Post graduate Diploma in mgmt (similar to an MBA but not exactly an MBA degree) : MDI, Gurgaon, graduated with 6.5/10 in 2016 (its a decent enough brand in India but not outside)

Certifications: Certified FRM

WE Post - MBA:

- 3 years Consultant (Technology) at a Fortune 500 company (top 200)
- do not have international experience but have worked across projects with international clients based out of UK, US and Canada

WE Pre - MBA:

- 2 years as a developer in a Fortune 500 company

Post MBA goal: would like to get into Product Management in technology.
Reason for another MBA - 1. It was a diploma in mgmt so not a proper MBA degree
2. It has not really helped me to crack into Product Mgmt
3. Would like to have an MBA from a top tier univ recognized globally

Kindly let me know if my profile is competitive for INSEAD and what parts of my profile I need to focus on to improve my chances.

Please comment.

Thanks in advance,
Prashanth

Hi Prashanth! As you might already know, INSEAD clearly outlines their admissions criteria - Ability to Contribute, Academic Capacity, Leadership Potential and International Motivation. Let me tackle this one by one in your profile:

Ability to Contribute - On the face of it, your work experience looks interesting. However, you need to show growth within your role and be able to come up with pointers on how you will be a valuable asset to the class.

Academic Capability - In absence of steller undergraduate and MBA scores, GMAT will play a large role in your profile. I am glad you are planning to retake it. Aim for 730 or higher for your profile to be competitive.

Leadership Potential - You haven’t mentioned this in your post but I am hoping you have some leadership experience at your workplace. If not, look for instances where you have taken initiatives and led people (even if it was in an informal setting). Remember, INSEAD is not looking for leadership “experience”, they are looking for leadership “potential”.

International Motivation - This seems to be lacking in your profile. Since you asked for suggestions to improve your profile, this will be a great place to start. Take on some international assignments if that is a feasible option. Otherwise, come up with a storyline around how you are internationally motivated and ready to be a global leader.

Second MBA is always tricky to explain. Make sure to talk about why a second MBA is a necessity for reaching your future goals.

Feel free to get in touch if you are interested in an in-depth profile evaluation.

Also, if you are based in or around Bangalore, don’t miss out the MBA Bootcamp - a one-day Workshop to help you get a detailed understanding of the best MBAs suitable to your profile. The workshop will offer suggestions and strategies to facilitate the building of a winning application and one-to-one interactions with alumni from top business schools such as Wharton, Kellogg, INSEAD and Oxford, in addition to exclusive panel discussions with Admissions Officers from ISB, IIMB EPGP and the Schulich MBA. Click HERE to know more and book a seat well in advance.

Good Luck!
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [1]
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi CdnCharacter,

thank you for sharing your profile.

Overall, your profile has good elements to make you a serious candidate for INSEAD.

I like your career progression (from strategy consulting to PE) which also includes an accelerated promotion. This fast career progression will help you offset the relatively short length of your work experience.

Your 750 GMAT score is a clear indication of your academic capacity.

You seem to have traveled extensively, which is really good. On your application, try to also focus on how adaptable you are when working in multicultural teams/settings.

Your EC seem to be good too with some mentoring/coaching activities. On your application, make sure to also talk about those other "not-so-common" personal interests: e.g. boxing.

What can you tell us about your career goals?

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Very helpful, thanks so much for offering your thoughts ARLeeConsulting !

With respect to post-MBA goals - the idea is to transition into European private equity in the short to mid-term (think major firms like Apax, Permira, PAI, etc.) to get a deeper appreciation for how PE firms and businesses in general operate globally. I've had some European exposure in my current role but would like a more immersive experience. Ultimately, I want to take the learning / best practices from this environment back to Canada and support the evolution / internationalization of a family office or other small investment firm.

Would love to hear your high level thoughts on if that is something that aligns well with INSEAD's mission.
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
You're welcome CdnCharacter!

Your goals align well with INSEAD, as they're international and INSEAD is quite strong in PE/Entrepreneurship.

However, since you already work in the PE space, INSEAD could wonder why you need an MBA to transition to PE in Europe. INSEAD's career goals essay is quite short (only 100 words), therefore, you will need to clearly convey your need for an MBA in a very concise way.

I would be very interested in taking a look at your CV to further evaluate your profile and goals. Feel free to PM or email it to me (alex@arleeconsulting.com).

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Alex
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Hi Everyone,
can anyone please evaluate and give 2 cents to my profile for INSEAD?

Native: Indian , Male , 32
Back ground: Merchant Navy, started my career in 2009 at the rank of Trainee Marine Engineer, appeared for promotional exam conducted by DG shipping india , became 4 th engineer and now serving as 3rd
Engineer promoted based on the sailing experience, VLCC oil Tankers.
Current employer: wallem shipmanagement hongkong
International experience: 15 countries atleast; USA, china, Vietnam, Venezuela, Ukraine, Kuwait, Iraq, UAE, Southafrica,
Singapore, Turkey, south Korea, Indonesia, Netherlands,Egypt
Sailing experience: 5 years aprrox( our contractual sailing period lasts for 6+-1 months per year , so from 2009 to
2018 in 10 years we get sailing experience exactly half of it )
Academics: B.tech marine engineering (MIT,pune) 62%( ~2.3 gpa)
12th( CBSE,KV) 76%, topper in Math with 96 in school
10th (CBSE, KV) 75%, math 90/100, science 89/100, english 78/100
GMAT 710 (V39, Q49)
Extra curricular: Guitar player, performed on few stage shows
Worked with NGo back in 2011, In 2012 i reactivated my mothers dormant NGO and have been
contributing ever since
Hiker,Trekker(went on solo expedition to himalayas, mostly to places untouched by human
presence)
Working out to summit the Everest.
college Volleyball and Badminton Player.
MBA: Supply chain demand and logistics,
future goals: i want to enter in the procurement sector for Multinationals shipping and Non shipping sector. Also
i want to establish a regular logistic route to supply products available to every other part of world in
to remote places in countires such as,indonesia,india(north-
north east), and Some places in Africa and south america.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Other (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Hello rajatvermaenator,

Your credentials are good and background is different. You will have an interesting story to tell.

Your immense international exposure would certainly be appreciated by schools such as INSEAD. I see you have built upon your profile by working in ship management company after merchant navy, explaining your focus.

Good to see that you have not just focussed on professional life but have taken up ECs as well.

Your GMAT is fine, not good nor bad but combined with your profile is pretty good to give a decent shot at INSEAD.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
INSEAD Class of December 2017
----------------------------
Applying to INSEAD R1 Sep 2020?
Is your admission consultant from INSEAD?
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Schedule a free Profile Evaluation Session here.

rajatvermaenator wrote:
Hi Everyone,
can anyone please evaluate and give 2 cents to my profile for INSEAD?

Native: Indian , Male , 32
Back ground: Merchant Navy, started my career in 2009 at the rank of Trainee Marine Engineer, appeared for promotional exam conducted by DG shipping india , became 4 th engineer and now serving as 3rd
Engineer promoted based on the sailing experience, VLCC oil Tankers.
Current employer: wallem shipmanagement hongkong
International experience: 15 countries atleast; USA, china, Vietnam, Venezuela, Ukraine, Kuwait, Iraq, UAE, Southafrica,
Singapore, Turkey, south Korea, Indonesia, Netherlands,Egypt
Sailing experience: 5 years aprrox( our contractual sailing period lasts for 6+-1 months per year , so from 2009 to
2018 in 10 years we get sailing experience exactly half of it )
Academics: B.tech marine engineering (MIT,pune) 62%( ~2.3 gpa)
12th( CBSE,KV) 76%, topper in Math with 96 in school
10th (CBSE, KV) 75%, math 90/100, science 89/100, english 78/100
GMAT 710 (V39, Q49)
Extra curricular: Guitar player, performed on few stage shows
Worked with NGo back in 2011, In 2012 i reactivated my mothers dormant NGO and have been
contributing ever since
Hiker,Trekker(went on solo expedition to himalayas, mostly to places untouched by human
presence)
Working out to summit the Everest.
college Volleyball and Badminton Player.
MBA: Supply chain demand and logistics,
future goals: i want to enter in the procurement sector for Multinationals shipping and Non shipping sector. Also
i want to establish a regular logistic route to supply products available to every other part of world in
to remote places in countires such as,indonesia,india(north-
north east), and Some places in Africa and south america.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.54
WE:Management Consulting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Indian
GMAT: 700 (Q50,V34, IR6, AWA5)
UG: Civil Eng (India) in 2010 (8.42/10), PG: MBA (UAE, Australia, Singapore) in 2016 (3.54/4)
WE: 8 Years [(2 Years Civil, 3 Years Technology, 3 Years Banking), (0.5 years Japan, 1.5 years Philippines, 3 years UAE, 3 years India)
Current Position: Middle Management (Leading a team of 11)
Recommendations: CXOs (Top banks in UAE)
Extra Curricular: Not much (mainly around gathering additional certificates that'd help me at work)
Awards: 1st All India Technical Paper Presentation Competition (2008), 1st Case Study Competition (2009)
Certificates: Project Management Professional (PMP), Green Belt Six Sigma
Language: Hindi and English, Learning: Mandarin (Level 1 exam in July, but I will submit application in round 4 for MBA 20D)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Thanks shantanu, a lot.
ARLee Consulting
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi suryanshg,

We're going to need a bit more detail in order to properly assess your profile, especially on your 8 years of work experience. It would be great if you could briefly share some details on your career path. This is particularly important in order to assess your career progression and leadership potential.

From a pure stats perspective, as an Indian applicant, your 700 GMAT score will put you in a bit of disadvantage. What is the possibility of a retake? Ideally, you want to score 20-30 points above the school's average, which in the case of INSEAD this would mean around 730-740.

You seem to have the international exposure that INSEAD appreciates so much, so you'll have no issues meeting the International Motivation criterion.

What can you tell us about your career goals? Why do you need a second MBA?

I strongly recommend you to not apply in Round 4 for the MBA'20D class, especially with a 700 GMAT score. If possible, apply in Round 1 for the MBA'21J class (ideally with a higher GMAT score).

I would really like to take a look at your resume. Feel free to PM or email it to me directly at alex@arleeconsulting.com.

Good luck!
Alex
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.7
WE:Law (Other)
Send PM

Originally posted by LadyGaladriel on 16 Jun 2019, 03:35.
Last edited by LadyGaladriel on 13 Apr 2020, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Friends!

Quick question - Does IELTS Academic overall score 7.0 is a real issue for INSEAD? I read on their website that there is no minimal score, but recommended minimum for IELTS Academic is 7.5 Does score 0.5 band lower than recommended disqualify me?

Thanks for your replies!

Best
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 191
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
All the best!

Originally posted by ayush_95 on 24 Jun 2019, 01:48.
Last edited by ayush_95 on 03 Dec 2020, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
ARLee Consulting
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi kebab1990,

your IELTS overall score if 7.0 won't automatically disqualify you. Worst case, if the only thing preventing the AdCom from inviting you to interview is your IELTS score, you'll most likely be asked to retake it. INSEAD will put your application on hold in the meantime.

I hope this helps.
Alex
ARLee Consulting
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ayush_95,

I like your career progression, accomplishments, international experience and EC. The BCG brand will def give you more credibility.

Let me ask you a few questions though:

1. Have you taken GMAT? If so, what's your overall score and Q/V/IR split?

2. How many years of work experience will you have at matriculation?

3. Is BCG going to sponsor your MBA?

4. What are your career goals (short and long-term)?

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex
ARLee Consulting
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi LadyGaladriel,

I saw that you posted before on this threat and received a couple of profile reviews, so I'll just go straight to your questions/concerns.

I understand that my GMAT is a little weak (for an Indian applicant) and my undergrad may be could have been better, but despite these flaws, how do I fare? Do I stand a chance?

I really like your profile. Your experience in Tier 1 law firms, your career progression and leadership experience and your strong EC can help you offset your GMAT score.

Would INSEAD be willing to forgive my lack of foreign work experience considering my non-engineering background?

I don't see your lack of international work experience as a major deal breaker. You studied 2 years in Kenya in middle school, and have had some business meetings abroad. Furthermore, you have always worked with foreign clients. This clearly shows international exposure, and should give you enough leverage to show international motivation and adaptability to working in multicultural settings. Bonus points if you can show your career goals are also global.

I have worked with Indian applicants with 710 GMAT scores with similar international exposure to yours who were accepted to INSEAD. So you def have chances. The key is to put together a kick-ass application with outstanding CV, Essays and LoRs.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Alex
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Thank you!

Appreciate your response very much!

Best
Kebab

ARLeeConsulting wrote:
Hi kebab1990,

your IELTS overall score if 7.0 won't automatically disqualify you. Worst case, if the only thing preventing the AdCom from inviting you to interview is your IELTS score, you'll most likely be asked to retake it. INSEAD will put your application on hold in the meantime.

I hope this helps.
Alex
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile -

Indian
10th - 93%,
12th - 86%,
B.Tech (Chemical Engg, 2015, Tier 1 NIT) - 6.3/10
GMAT - Yet to take

College Extras -
- Head of the E-Cell (helped support a couple of startups which have gone on to do extremely well)
- Started a couple of college bodies
- Started a couple of revenue generating startups
- Organizing committee for various bodies at fests (Such as TEDx, INK talks, business and literary events)
- Volunteered for MAD

Work Ex -
- First Digital Marketer at a real estate startup, ran their digital marketing ops for a few months (Handled a team + a couple of agencies).
- First Product Manager at a series A funded health-tech startup.
- Co-Founder at a Ed-Tech startup serving 1500 kids and 100 teachers

Extras -
- Leadership team in the Bangalore chapter of a org related to exponential tech.
- Part of a team which finished among the top 40 teams globally for a competition to build a self-learning app in English and African languages.

Aim - Build a career in exponential tech.

Any chance at all?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31   32   33  ...  70   
Moderator:
MBA Admissions Consultant
3699 posts