Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Strategy going ahead for gmat [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi piyushbadola,

Regarding your first question, your GMAT score is based on not only the number of questions you answer correct/incorrect, but also the difficulty of those questions. Thus, it’s quite possible that in your first practice exam, you incorrectly answered some “lower-level” questions, and that is likely why your verbal score was lower even though you correctly answered more verbal questions than you did on your second practice exam.

In addition to looking for advice on verbal materials, would you like some advice on how to improve your RC and SC skills? Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks guys for your responses, much appreciated. Now in response to empowergmatrichc,
1)currently I am giving about an hour on work days and about 4 hours on weekend

2) till now, I have completed og 2017 and now I am looking for a different source of materials (searching practice questions on web for now)

3) I haven't booked it, but I am planning to give my first attempt on August beginning

4) I am planning to apply to mim courses for top Canadian colleges and will fill accordingly

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Piyush, what text material have you been using so far, for your prep (OG is largely a compilation of old questions, and not a text book).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Nothing else, just practicing questions from og and analyzing the questions. That's what I am asking, I need a good material or online course for my verbal prep

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi piyushbadola,

Depending on when - in August - you plan to take the GMAT, you could have another 6-10 weeks of potential study time. While you could potentially improve a great deal in that timeframe, these 2 Official Scores show that you continue to "see" (and respond to) the Verbal section in the same general ways. From what you describe, your studies have revolved primarily around working through lots of practice questions, but you have not spent much time (if any) learning the Tactics, patterns or little 'secrets' of the Verbal section.

There are Verbal-specific study materials that I can recommend that you try. Before we discuss those options though, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. "Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

I won't be mentioning quant as I feel I'm on the right track there.
Now coming to verbal, in last mock, i got v31 16 incorrect
3 critical reasoning, 8 sentence correction and 5 rc. Given my practice sessions and my mocks I think my accuracy for rc and sc is about 50-70 And for cr it's about 60-80.cr think might be only part of verbal where I think I got at least the basics right. I do struggle a bit on harder questions or stuck with 2 options. Now for sc i think my basics and approach is not clear, so i feel like running in circles. And in rc, it depends from passage to passage, some being quite easy and other, can't even understand. And a bit unsure about approach for rc too. Overall, I also feel I'm taking too long and a bit less focused that I might have to read it twice, messing with timing in verbal. I know (or I think) my problem is but not sure how to tackle it, so I was wondering if there is a good material (or course,not too costly though) where I could get some guidance for basics and strategies for verbal

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi piyushbadola,

From what you describe, it sounds as if you are "winging it" in the Verbal section (meaning that you do not have an established series of 'steps' that you go through when tackling RC, SC and CR and that you are probably not taking the proper notes). Thankfully, the Verbal section of the GMAT is just as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is, but Verbal questions have no 'safety net' - meaning that if you make a silly/little mistake, then you'll convince yourself that one of the wrong answers is correct (and not even know it).

Based on everything that you have described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients finish that Study Plan in under a month, so it would fit your schedule perfectly. During that time, you'll also be able to access any of the Quant resources that interest you. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot