Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [13]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [2]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [3]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Re: Most Americans are fascinated with their own history. particularly tha [#permalink]
Kudos
I chose C for question 4.
Please tell me why C is wrong and B is correct.
In 3rd para, it is mentioned that attendance at town hall meeting rarely exceeded 30% of all registered voters.

Please help me!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Most Americans are fascinated with their own history. particularly tha [#permalink]
[quote="gvij2017"]I chose C for question 4.
Please tell me why C is wrong and B is correct.
In 3rd para, it is mentioned that attendance at town hall meeting rarely exceeded 30% of all registered voters.

Please help me![/quote}

I chose the answer as C too. Although in hindsight I feel C might be wrong since the para says, it rarely exceeded 30%.
Rarely means at one point it must have gone past 30, to even 34 maybe. Thus making C wrong.

Also I feel B is wrong since para talks about "MALE" wealthy Land owners, but the answer choice says only wealthy land owners. thus B should also be wrong.

any explanation for B ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Send PM
Kudos
Doesn't this passage have some problems with interpunction, typos etc.? I think that in a few places they even make understanding of the text more difficult/unclear.

For example:

Quote:
In a typical show of their historical revisionism. Americans have mythologized these town meetings to the point of embarrassment.

Shouldn't these two sentences be written as one with independent and dependent clauses seperated with a comma? In a typical show of their historical revisionism, Americans have mythologized these town meetings to the point of embarrassment.

Quote:
In making these points, Parker hopes to lie to rest the notion that simple, family-oriented colonial New England was far preferable to the modern America that many an perceive has outgrown pure democracy.

Firstly, I'm not sure that "lie to rest" is correct. Secondly, I find this part confusing: [...] New England was far preferable to the modern America that many an perceive has outgrown pure democracy.

Quote:
Citing the disparity between the roll calls of several meetings and the voter registries of the towns in which they took place. Parker demonstrates that attendance atm town-hall meetings rarely exceeded 30 percent of all registered voters.

The first sentence doesn't have a subject, so it can't stay as an independent clause. Moreover, there's a typo in atm. I think the sentence was intended to look like Citing the disparity between the roll calls of several meetings and the voter registries of the towns in which they took place, Parker demonstrates that attendance at town-hall meetings rarely exceeded 30 percent of all registered voters. And now it makes perfect sense.

Quote:
A new book by Nathan Parker, however. suggests [...]

Full stop instead of a comma after however.

Quote:
profoundly miSplaced

Capital "S" in the middle of misplaced.

Can the OP fix or clarify these issues? Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [3]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Kudos
SajjadAhmad wrote:
2. Which of the following best describes the purpose of the second paragraph?

A. It extols the virtue of the first American settlers who were not daunted by the prospect of creating an egalitarian society.
B. It first introduces de Tocqueville and Crevecoeur, by whom Parker was first inspired to write.
C. It lists several perceptions about the early American colonies that Parker believes to be more myth than fact.
D. It serves to emphasize the massive impact that French thinking had on New England's first settlers.
E. It provides evidence that the Puritans were not nearly as virtuous as they asserted themselves to be.

Can someone give me some insight on the OA for 2.

SajjadAhmad wrote:
C. It lists several perceptions about the early American colonies that Parker believes to be more myth than fact.

Doesn't the passage basically refute the perception of town halls being a representative egalitarian body reflecting the will of the people. My issue is with the word several. For me it is basically the single perception of town halls being true democratic institutions which Parker debunks by explaining how they were not open to all residents. The several in the option threw me off. I picked E which I agree is somewhat extreme but for me fit better than SEVERAL perceptions.

Appreciate your inputs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
Send PM
Kudos
aliakberza wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:

A. It extols the virtue of the first American settlers who were not daunted by the prospect of creating an egalitarian society.
B. It first introduces de Tocqueville and Crevecoeur, by whom Parker was first inspired to write.
D. It serves to emphasize the massive impact that French thinking had on New England's first settlers.
E. It provides evidence that the Puritans were not nearly as virtuous as they asserted themselves to be.

Can someone give me some insight on the OA for 2.

SajjadAhmad wrote:

Doesn't the passage basically refute the perception of town halls being a representative egalitarian body reflecting the will of the people. My issue is with the word several. For me it is basically the single perception of town halls being true democratic institutions which Parker debunks by explaining how they were not open to all residents. The several in the option threw me off. I picked E which I agree is somewhat extreme but for me fit better than SEVERAL perceptions.

Appreciate your inputs.

I too got it wrong because of "several". However on reflecting upon the answers, the option E is way off, because the passage is not about the virtuous nature of the Puritans. It is about a perception which Parker debunks. The virtuous nature is kept only as a passing remark. If in case the passage had been worded like "Popular imagination holds that the Puritans were a virtuous group because they were determined to create a new government through direct democracy", then the virtuous nature would have been directly called upon as a cause. In such a case, option E is a strong contender. In this present case the virtuous nature is not called upon as a cause.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.88
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Can you help me with question number 3 of the passage
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 382
Schools: NUS '20
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
New Project RC Butler 2019 - Practice 2 RC Passages Everyday
Passage # 22, Date : 11-FEB-2019
This post is a part of New Project RC Butler 2019. Click here for Details

Most Americans are fascinated with their own history, particularly that of the colonial era. Whenever a crisis affects the current government, pundits and plebeians alike invoke the writings and teachings of the eighteenth century in order to support or denounce modern viewpoints. Many citizens wax nostalgic for the glorious times of their nascent union, when some of the most shrewd and free-thinking minds came together to construct "a more perfect Union.“ A new book by Nathan Parker, however, suggests that colonial New England was never the egalitarian Eden that modern Americans make it out to be.

Popular imagination holds that the Puritans were a virtuous group determined to create a new government through direct democracy. Communities convened town hall meetings, at which policies were debated and decisions were made by the will of the people. Many renowned international thinkers, such as France's Alexis de Tocqueville and Hector St. John Crevecoeur, praised this new American commitment to the voice of the common man. According to Parker, admiration for New England's first settlers is profoundly misplaced. In a typical show of their historical revisionism, Americans have mythologized these town meetings to the point of embarrassment. Parker asserts that town-hall meetings were open only to a select few male property owners who wielded a strong financial influence on the community. Thus, the laws that were put into effect as a result of these meetings hardly an reflected the "consent of the governed". Therefore, there is vast evidence of voter apathy among the colonists.

Citing the disparity between the roll calls of several meetings and the voter registries of the towns in which they took place, Parker demonstrates that attendance atm town-hall meetings rarely exceeded 30 percent of all registered voters. In making these points, Parker hopes to lie to rest the notion that simple, family-oriented colonial New England was far preferable to the modern America that many an perceive has outgrown pure democracy. His objective is to lay bare the true nature of eighteenth-century governance and thus assure Americans that progress can't kill an equality that never was.

1. The primary purpose of the passage as a whole is to

A. critique a system of logic
B. clarify an ambiguity
C. contrast two diverse notions
D. discredit a commonly held perception
E. question a dubious explanation

3. According to the passage. it is common practice to refer to the colonial era in order to

A. advocate the importance of pure democracy to a fledgling capitalist nation
B. illustrate how American society has always depended upon the family unit that was so highly esteemed in the eighteenth century
C. establish a historical context for the celebrated writings of de Tocqueville and Crevecoeur
D. praise the perseverance of the Puritans, who never receive the recognition they so richly deserve
E. indicate that the country's rampant growth since its creation has caused it to stray from its original path toward absolute democracy

4. According to the passage, Parker asserts which of the following about early colonial town meetings?

A. Those who owned property in the area served as representatives for everyone in the community.
B. Attendance at these meetings was restricted to wealthy landowners.
C. All registered voters were permitted to attend, but fewer than one-third of them actually did.
D. They became the inspiration for what is known today as direct democracy.
E. They were looked upon as models by the framers of the Constitution.

Difficulty Level: 650 (112)

Hi @SajjadAhmed

Could you please post the official explaination for Qustn 3 and 4?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
gaurav2m wrote:

Hi @SajjadAhmed

Could you please post the official explaination for Qustn 3 and 4?

Official Explanation

3. According to the passage. it is common practice to refer to the colonial era in order to

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

In the first paragraph, the author refers to instances when a crisis affects the current government, people like to invoke the writings and teachings of the eighteenth century in order to support or denounce modern viewpoints. Thus, (E) is the closest choice. None of the other answer choices is supported by the passage.

Answer: B

4. According to the passage, Parker asserts which of the following about early colonial town meetings?

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

Passage says—”Parker asserts that town-hall meetings were open only to a select few male property owners who wielded a strong financial influence on the community.” There’s all the support you need for answer choice (B), which is a nice para- phrase. Get rid of (A), because there is no reference to representatives.

(C) is also false, but it tries to lure you by referring to the 30 percent figure in the middle of 3rd para. The thoughts expressed in (D) and (E) run contrary to the passage.

Answer: E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
Schools: Sauder
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,
Please post a proper explanation for this passage. Would be a big help!
Thanks
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts