Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [15]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned [#permalink]
Kudos
I see a lot of gap in the explanation of correct answer:
Basically question is asking, which is the one thing that would be rejected by both Monica and Hector

Option E says that the the "artistic merit" is the the centre piece of consideration in deciding to keep the statue in public or not.
However, both Monica and Hector are discussing on one point to keep the statue in public and that is "people liking it" and therefore artistic merit is not the central piece to decide
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Send PM
Re: Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned [#permalink]
Kudos
aggvipul wrote:
Basically question is asking, which is the one thing that would be rejected by both Monica and Hector

Option E says that the the "artistic merit" is the the centre piece of consideration in deciding to keep the statue in public or not.
However, both Monica and Hector are discussing on one point to keep the statue in public and that is "people liking it" and therefore artistic merit is not the central piece to decide

The way I read it is that which principle would Monica and Hector disagree (differ) about, not which of the principles they would both reject. Compare their conclusions below.

Monica would agree that artistic merit is the centre piece of consideration. She says that unpopularity of the work gives no reason for removing it, where "thus" and the conclusion is linked to the artistic merit of the sculpture.
the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it.

Hector would disagree that artistic merit is the centre piece of consideration because he argues that it should be public opinion, where "thus" and the conclusion is linked to the public opinion of the sculpture.
Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail)
Send PM
Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned [#permalink]
Jazpants wrote:
aggvipul wrote:

The way I read it is that which principle would Monica and Hector disagree (differ) about, not which of the principles they would both reject. Compare their conclusions below.

Monica would agree that artistic merit is the centre piece of consideration. She says that unpopularity of the work gives no reason for removing it, where "thus" and the conclusion is linked to the artistic merit of the sculpture.
the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it.

Hector would disagree that artistic merit is the centre piece of consideration because he argues that it should be public opinion, where "thus" and the conclusion is linked to the public opinion of the sculpture.
Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed.

Hi Jazpants , pls lay your focus a bit more on "the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it"
i.e. the unpopularity and hence the artistic merit. Also see that the unpopularity(people liking) is magically attached to "artistic merit" and then this attachment has been played around with in subsequent discusion. Clearly, "artistic merit" is not the central piece.
I hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I chose A. I still think that the bone of contention between Monica and Hector was whether public opinion should be a factor in the public display of arts or not. Monica basically says artistic merit should be the parameter, not the public opinion. Hector says the opposite. A fits very well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned [#permalink]
aggvipul wrote:
Jazpants wrote:
aggvipul wrote:

Hi Jazpants , pls lay your focus a bit more on "the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it"
i.e. the unpopularity and hence the artistic merit. Also see that the unpopularity(people liking) is magically attached to "artistic merit" and then this attachment has been played around with in subsequent discusion. Clearly, "artistic merit" is not the central piece.
I hope this helps

Monica does believe that artistic merit is the central piece to why they should keep the statue though. And Hector thinks it is public opinion.

Originally posted by Jazpants on 26 Jun 2019, 09:10.
Last edited by Jazpants on 29 Sep 2021, 04:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46 (Online)
Send PM
prashant212 wrote:
I chose A. I still think that the bone of contention between Monica and Hector was whether public opinion should be a factor in the public display of arts or not. Monica basically says artistic merit should be the parameter, not the public opinion. Hector says the opposite. A fits very well.

I think the critical issue is whether the art should be removed because of public opinion, and not whether public opinion affects the work’s artistic value; I think there are better answers.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Monica: The sculpture commissioned for our town plaza has been scorned by the public ever since it went up. But since the people in our town do not know very much about contemporary art, the unpopularity of the work says nothing about its artistic merit and thus gives no reason for removing it.

Hector: You may be right about what the sculpture’s popularity means about its artistic merit. However, a work of art that was commissioned for a public space ought to benefit the public, and popular opinion is ultimately the only way of determining what the public feels is to its benefit. Thus, if public opinion of this sculpture is what you say, then it certainly ought to be removed.

Monica’s and Hector’s statements commit them to disagreeing about which one of the following principles?

Here is my take on the question: POE

(A) Public opinion of a work of art is an important consideration in determining the work’s artistic merit. - Hector says public opinion is important to decide whether one should keep the art in the town plaza. but look what this choice says : public opinion is imp to determine the artistic merit. This is not where Hector and Monica disagree because of this line "You may be right about what the sculpture’s popularity means about its artistic merit"
(B) Works of art commissioned for public spaces ought at least to have sufficient artistic merit to benefit the public. - Again this is taking a part of monica`s argument and hector`s argument and mixing it up. Hector does not disagree with the artistic merit and Monica doesnt mention public benefit.
(C) The only reason for removing a work of art commissioned for a public space would be that the balance of public opinion is against the work. - Extreme. We can never know if it would be the only reason. there can be tons of others. Not to be confused with hector`s argument where he says "popular opinion is ultimately the only way of determining what the public feels is to its benefit". This DOES NOT mean he is saying that public opinion is the "only" reason to remove the art.
(D) The sculpture cannot benefit the public by remaining in the town plaza unless the sculpture has artistic merit. - same as B. Hector speaks about public benefit but doesnt say it has to have artistic merit. But here its just mixing the two things together
(E) In determining whether the sculpture should remain in the town plaza, the artistic merit of the sculpture should be central consideration. This is what Monica says and only she agrees to it. But Hector thinks artistic merit need not be considered whether good or bad and instead it should benefit the public. Correct answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM