Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [10]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
Re: She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared t [#permalink]
bigfernhead wrote:
She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to her native Germany, photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small group of discerning admirers, and her photographs were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States.

(A) She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to

(B) Being less successful after she had emigrated to New York as compared to

(C) Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in

(D) Although she was less successful after emigrating to New York when compared to

(E) She had been less successful after emigrating to New York than in

daagh, AjiteshArun, VeritasKarishma, GMATNinja

If a sentence has 3 or more Independent Clauses then is it imperative that each one of them should be joined by either (;) or 'comma' + one of FANBOYS ?

Thanks
Saurabh
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Re: She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared t [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Sarja
Who said so? (meaning it is not so)
Example:

She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York.

IC 1. She was less successful
IC 2. She had immigrated to New York.

These two ICs are joined not by a semi colon or a coordinating conjunction but by a subordinating conjunction 'after'. Therefore, you may also add subordinating conjunctions to your list of connectors. I think the number of ICs is not critical to this point.

However, choice A is wrong not because of the connector but because of faulty comparison.

(Aside: Is it emigration or immigration, when one enters the US from abroad? MS word doesn't accept emigrated.)

Originally posted by daagh on 21 Sep 2019, 01:37.
Last edited by daagh on 21 Sep 2019, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Sarja
Who said so? (meaning it is not so)
Example:

She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York.

IC 1. She was less successful
IC 2. She had immigrated to New York.

These two ICs are joined not by a semi colon or a coordinating conjunction but by a subordinating conjunction 'after'. Therefore, you may also add subordinating conjunctions to your list of connectors. I think the number od ICs is not critical to this point.

However, choice A is wrong not because of the connector but because of faulty comparison.

(Aside: Is it emigration or immigration, when one enters the US from abroad? MS word doesn't accept emigrated.)

Thank You ! daagh

My doubt arose from your reply to this question a while back, reproducing below the same.

"A. She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to ---- comparing success to a place; in addition, the full text is a run-on".

I did not get the "full text is a run on" part, if you could please help me in understanding it. The original statement has 3 ICs and the first two are joined only by a 'comma' and the 3rd with 'comma' + 'And'

Is this construction correct?

Thanks
Saurabh
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Sarja

Sentnece One: She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to her native Germany, --- This is a completed sentence, but a complex sentnece.

Sentence Two : photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small group of discerning admirers and her photographs were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States.-- This is also a compound sentence and it is a compound sentence.

Therefore, this is a complex-compound sentence. How do you connect a complex sentence to a compound sentence? We cannot do it just by a comma, can we?

Nevertheless, you yourself have given the answer why A is a run on. As you say there are two ICs which are connected by a comma. Isn't this a run-on?

It is clear that choice A is not correct, even by the more apparent comparison error. There may not be a point in delving into a wrong choice for the sake of a concept that might be too hot to handle in the hall.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
DanTe02 wrote:
kagrawal16
Quote:
Similarly in this question we have,
The modifier that modifies Lotte.
"Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in .., Lotte...

Than she had been in Germany (clause) is parallel to modifier "less successful after she emigrated"
In essence
She had been in Germany (clause 1)
She was less successful after she emigrated to NewYork (Clause 2)
But clause 2 is a modifier.

I am no where near legendary as the people you've tagged but here are my thoughts :)
First comparisons are not much of a rule like you mentioned
You just need clear understanding
I like pizza more than burger ( Sure you might say this is a okay comparison as noun is being compared btw the comparison is actually okay here )
But what about this one
I like cheese more than yvette (Now its incorrect because its not common knowledge to know if yvetter is a person or an ingredient. If its a person it should be I like cheese more than yvette does if you want to say you like cheese more than something, it could be made clearer by saying I like cheese more than I like yvette

Also what do you mean by
Quote:
She had been in Germany (clause 1)
She was less successful after she emigrated to NewYork (Clause 2)
But clause 2 is a modifier.

Kudos if you found it helpful :)

Hey,

Comparisons ought to be parallel right. A clause parallel to a clause in comparison.
What i meant is
Less Successful after she emigrated to NY. <- this is an adjective
Than she had been in Germany. <- This is a clause.

Please note in the above,
She had been in germany is not parallel to she emigrated to NY.
It is rather parallel to She "was" less successful after she emigrated to NY.

Eg.
She was successful in NY
She had been successful in Germany. Successful is ellided.
But the former is less than the latter.

But the was is not there as Less successful is a modifier.

Well for a similar question letters to Mark Twain, this is an issue highlighted by a moderator.

I am all for meaning, understanding and being flexible to pick the "best" option.

But I guess I figured the answer to my question last night.

Less successful after she emigrated to NewYork than "when" she had been in Germany is a better comparison.

In this case
"when" she had been in Germany
IS PARALLEL TO
after she emigrated to NewYork

"she had been in Germany" <- no ellipsis. Just a case of presence in Germany.
"she emigrated to NY" <- presence in NY.

This IMO is a better comparison for the case. But we chose from the available options and no doubt the correct answer is the best available option.

I can quote Manhattan too :). But application is a different picture and well learning from experts is the real learning in that case :).

Though let me know if you found what i wrote to make sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
blueseas wrote:
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to her native Germany, photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small group of discerning admirers, and her photographs were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States.

A) She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to

B) Being less successful after she had emigrated to New York as compared to

C) Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in

D) Although she was less successful after emigrating to New York when compared to

E) She had been less successful after emigrating to New York than in

theory:

Compared to/with” is redundant in a comparison that already includes the word more/less; in such an instance, more than/less than should be used
AS COMPARED TO/WITH and WHEN COMPARED TO/WITH ===>these two are wrong constructions.

A) She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to

B) Being less successful after she had emigrated to New York as compared to

C) Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in===>correct

D) Although she was less successful after emigrating to New York when compared to

E) She had been less successful after emigrating to New York than in==>incorrect use of HAD...as she emigrated later to new york.

hope it helps

blueseas In the theoretical explaination proposed by you, from what I know, the usage of 'as compared to' is correct whereas 'as compared with' is wrong.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared t [#permalink]
Top Contributor

Less successful “than” is missing.
What is being compared to what?
She was less successful in New York than she had been (successful) in Germany
A uses an incorrect comparison.
Run-on sentence
Eliminate.

Same as A. Eliminate

Correct.

(D) Although she was less successful after emigrating to New York when compared to
Same as A and B. Incorrect comparison. Eliminate.

The past perfect tense is incorrectly used
Run-on sentence
Eliminate.
[/color]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

bigfernhead wrote:

Choice A: This answer choice incorrectly compares the photographer's level of success to "Germany". Furthermore, the use of the comparative word "less" demands the use of the word "than". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: This answer choice repeats the errors found in Option A. This answer choice also uses the word "being" to refer to a state of existence, "less successful". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: This answer choice correctly compares the photographer's level of success in New York and Germany, respectively, through the phrase "than she had been in" and avoids both redundancy and the run-on error. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice D: This answer choice repeats the errors found in Options A and B. This answer choice also suffers from a redundancy error due to the use of two words that convey contrast, "although" and "nevertheless". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice E: This answer choice incorrectly connects two independent clauses through a comma, creating a run-on sentence. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Comma Splice and Run-Ons on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~6 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Use of Being on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hi, could you please help me understand why we are sure that option A isn't ellipsted?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Quote:
(1) If you use "less," "fewer," or "more" to make a comparison, and if both nouns/prepositional phrases/whatever being compared appear after the "less" or "more," then you must use "than" to introduce the second. (This eliminates A, B, and D)

He has fewer cats than dogs.
This is correct, because "fewer" precedes the first noun, "cats," and "than" precedes the second noun, "dogs."
This is the structure you can expect to see on the GMAT.

He has three dogs, but fewer cats.
This is correct. It uses "fewer" without "than," but one of the nouns being compared appears before the "fewer."
Offhand, I don't remember seeing this structure on the GMAT.

Can someone help in understanding whether below comparison is correct:

Andrew is less successful when compared to Roger.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5900
Send PM
bigfernhead wrote:

Attachment:
Lotte Jacobi.doc

Hi BrentGMATPrepNow, to clarify the use of emigrating is wrong in D & E when it should be past tense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi mbaapp1234, if the entire sentence has three (or more) Independent clauses, then the first two Independent clauses will be most likely connected by a comma. But that doesn't make the sentence a comma splice.

For example, following is a correct sentence:

Peter plays football, his sister plays basketball, and his brother is into skating.

The presence of a comma after "football" does not make this a comma splice.

Hi @AjiteshArjun EducationAisle,

I am bit doubtful whether option (C) has ''comma splice'' problem.
Below is my understanding about the modifying clause, please confirm its correctness..

Structure of the modifying clause: [adjective modifier] + [conjunction] + [IC]

Because the modifying clause cannot stand on its own, and [Less successful] is correctly modifying [photographer Lotte Jacobi], we do not have a comma splice problem in option(C)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(C)Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in her native Germany, photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small group of discerning admirers, and her photographs were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
ASHUTOSH
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
mbaapp1234 wrote:
E This sentence is a comma splice because two independent clauses are joined by a comma.

Hi mbaapp1234, strictly speaking, E is not a comma splice, because it has three independent clauses connected by a coordinating conjunction (and).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses comma splice, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Could anyone please comment on this person's comment saying that "E" is NOT a run-on sentence? I'm very confused
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts