Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1919 [1]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Inequalities and Absolute Value [#permalink]
Hi Empower GMAT
Thanks for helping me out.
Here's the information that you have asked for

I have applied to ISB through the YLP program and also cleared the stage 1 of the application round.

I have given my very first mock (without any prep) in February. Later, I started preparing in the month of March. But due to my work and semester end exams I couldn't study for the GMAT in a full fledged manner. I was just going through the basics and trying to solve easy level questions.

However after completion of my semester end exams, I joined the Jamboree Institute for GMAT prep and have done with my coaching 2 weeks back. I have also taken a leave from my work.

I have scheduled to take the test on 24th August.

I'm doing good with verbal and able to achieve almost 70% accuracy in all the three subsections (A little difficulty in Managing time for RC, but I think will be able to do it by the D-day)

For Quant, I think I have learnt all the basics by now and able to solve the easy level problems, but facing difficulty with application of concepts and time management tactics with medium and hard level questions.

My target score is 720+
Background score is 400 (through GMAT official Mock)

PS: I can dedicate long hours of study until my test date and I am flexible to change with the prep plan.

Please suggest me the best way to get my desired score.

Thanks again!

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by ArbaazRajani on 15 Jul 2019, 14:15.
Last edited by ArbaazRajani on 15 Jul 2019, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Inequalities and Absolute Value [#permalink]
Hi DisciplinedPrep
Thanks for helping me out.
I'll definitely consider your suggestions and will reach out in case I need more information.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi ArbaazRajani,

How long ago did you take your last practice CAT/mock (the 400) and have you taken any others?

I ask because your current Test Date is less than 6 weeks away, but raising a Score in the 400s to the point that you can consistently score 720+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level, but you might need more study time than you have currently allotted.

In addition, what is the next application-round deadline for the Program that you are interested in? Are you going to be applying to any other Programs?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich
Thanks for your constant support.

I have taken my very first mock in 3rd week of February, in which I have scored 400 (ofcourse would have scored a little better if I would have taken the test in similar testing conditions like the official exam). Since then I have been studying regularly but not consistently. I can see improvement in my verbal ability and I'm sure to score a lot better in the next mock I give. As for the Quant Part, I am doing well with the easy level questions but struggling with those that directly do not offer use of basic concepts and there are some tricks to solve such questions. I have been doing OG 2019 questions consistently for a week now and almost half way through it. I am even doing regular analysis of those questions.

The application deadline for the stage 2 is 31st August and so I couldn't schedule any date later than 24th August. As I also need to work simultaneously on my essay and evaluation part.

Apart from ISB, I don't think so there are any similar B schools in India that consider the GMAT score. So, I might most probably send my scores to some foreign universities only. Maybe in Canada, Australia, or USA. (Have not decided about it yet).

Yes, as I have almost 5-6 weeks in hand, I know I'll have to work harder and be consistent. I'm willing to work on a plan that asks for 8-10 hours of daily study.

Please help me with a strategy that I can use to get the desired score in the very less time I have.

Thanking you in anticipation!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ArbaazRajani,

At this point, we don't have a clear sense of your current 'ability level', so I strongly recommend that you take one of the Official GMAC CATs and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich.

As you have suggested, I have taken the MGMAT official mock just an hour ago and I have scored 540 there. Seems like I need to work hard a lot in order to achieve my desired score.

I have attached my detailed score report below.

Looking forward to get the best guidance from you.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Attachments

File comment: MGMAT Mock 17.07.2019
IMG_20190717_034752.jpg
IMG_20190717_034752.jpg [ 126.02 KiB | Viewed 3385 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ArbaazRajani,

The MGMAT CATs are generally regarded as being a little tougher than the real thing, but even considering that, raising a score in the mid-500s to high-500s to the point that you can consistently score 720+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

There's no harm in taking the GMAT in August as scheduled, but you will almost certainly have to end up retaking the GMAT at a later date - so you can save some time, money and aggravation by pushing back your Test Date. While that idea probably does not make you happy, you have to remember our REAL Goal: to get into your first-choice School. There's no point to 'rushing' in an application if your GMAT Score won't be strong enough (and you end up getting rejected as a result). By giving yourself more time, you would have a much greater chance to score higher on the GMAT and potentially improve your overall application in other ways.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich.
Thanks for your immediate response.

Yes, I do agree with you that 5-6 weeks won't be enough to get the desired score. But rescheduling my test date will result in crossing off ISB as an option for me (atleast for 4-5 years from now). And maybe I'll have to apply to some B-schools abroad for which atleast 2-3 years of work experience is required. Hence, even that is quite not possible.

Is there no other way, I could work on and try to get to score close to my desired score?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ArbaazRajani,

I want to start by saying that no one here knows you well enough to say for sure what you are capable of achieving (as far as a GMAT Score is concerned). From the information you have provided, you raised a 400 to a 540 in about 5 months. That 140-point improvement is a really nice gain, but your Score Goal would involve an additional 180-point improvement - and you have only about 6 WEEKS of study time remaining. That type of improvement in such a short period of time is probably too difficult to be considered realistic.

I understand that you want to stick with your current application plans, but we also have to be realistic about this aspect of your plan. What is the minimum GMAT Score that you would apply to ISB with?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich.

The average score at ISB is 710 and that's how I decided to score atleast 10 points more than the average, so that my chances of getting in get increased. However, as it is the average score and not required score, I believe 680-700 would also be fine. But anything less than that would not help.

Also, if I get a score between 680 and 700, maybe I can apply to atleast T-50 B-Schools, if not ISB.

However, I'll strive hard to get 700+, I know it's near to impossible but I'll give my best and also try out my luck on the D-day.

Looking forward for your response.

Thanks

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ArbaazRajani,

Almost all of the skills that you would need to score 720+ are also needed to score 680+; all of those skills take time to develop though. While I could help you set up a Study Plan for the next 6 weeks, the reality is that you will almost certainly need at least another 3 months of guided study to get to the point that you can consistently score at that higher level. You can (and certainly should) continue to study - but if your overall plan requires that you score at least 680, then you will likely need to consider adjusting the timeframe for that plan.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich.

I am willing to work hard and do my best to prepare for the test. I hope I get to the level where I get good scores consistently. However, as it is very tough and also impossible within the limited time, I'll try to give my best on the D-day but if unfortunately that doesn't give me the desired score, maybe I'll consider retaking the test after thorough preparation giving enough time.

And it would be really a great help if you can help me with a plan on which I can work given the limited time I have. Let's hope for the best.

Thank you so much for the guided discussion.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ArbaazRajani,

Based on everything that you’ve described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under 2 months, but your goal should NOT be to try to 'rush' through any of that material (your focus has to be on learning and practicing the proper Tactics - and again, you will likely need at least 3 months of consistent, guided study to properly master them all). We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ArbaazRajani,

I agree that you’ll likely need more time than just 5 weeks to substantially improve your GMAT skills, and thus your GMAT score. However, since you plan to push the envelope and take the GMAT in 5 weeks, would you like some general advice on how to improve your verbal and quant skills?

In the meantime, you may find it helpful to read this article: How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Scott.
Thanks for your support.

It would be really a great help, if you could help me with some general advice that could help me boost my preparation in the limited time. I know my desired score is not achievable or maybe very difficult to achieve given the limited time, I am still willing to strive hard and get close to my target as much as possible. However, if that doesn't work out and I end up having a not-so-good score, I'll consider retaking the test at a later date when I am fully prepared.

Waiting for your response.

Thank you again for reaching out.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos