Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [4]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 184
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2220 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Of the many organisms found in marine ecosystems, sea otters play a un [#permalink]
How to find the answer to question 4?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32890 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Of the many organisms found in marine ecosystems, sea otters play a un [#permalink]
Expert Reply
In the 2nd paragraph read lines 20-22

Without sea otters, sea urchins and other seafloor herbivores would graze on kelp holdfasts, causing kelp to drift away from their substrates and die.

Options A, C, D and E did'nt supported by these lines only Option B is supported

Answer: B

Moubani wrote:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Q1 gmat1393

Quote:
Of the many organisms found in marine ecosystems, sea otters play a uniquely significant role in maintaining their environments. Sea otters (Enhydra lutris) are a keystone species, a species whose effect on their environment is disproportionately great relative to their size in numbers or weight. Keystone species keep the growth of populations of other species in check and are thereby a determining factor of the type and number of other species in a community; keystone species are so named because their role is analogous to that of a keystone in an arch: while keystones bear the least amount of pressure among the components of an arch, the arch collapses without them.

-

in the first para author tells us that "otters = keystone species" ...author is neither + or - about this !!!

it is intimidating to think that author has a POV by the words " uniquely significant" ...but please note that the author is just describing the necessay object here.. by stating that " oxygen is necessary for humans" i am not taking a stand for oxygen... i am just being descriptive !!! here author is also being descriptive..
Quote:
The sea otter's reputation as a keystone species is largely a consequence of its affinity for sea urchins. Sea otters are known to prey upon over 100 different species, but the bulk of their diet consists of sea urchins and other marine invertebrates. Sea urchins are such highly preferred prey that sea otters have been known to significantly deplete urchin populations. In marine ecosystems at equilibrium, however, sea otters are often the primary force that keeps populations of sea urchins in check. Without sea otters, sea urchins and other seafloor herbivores would graze on help holdfasts, causing kelp to drift away from their substrates and die. The aggregate result of many such events leads to the destruction of entire kelp beds, resulting in a loss of habitat and nutrients for other organisms in the ecosystem. The extended consequences include local extinction of other species and vast urchin barrens: subtidal areas where the unchecked population growth of sea urchins has caused a dearth of kelp and, therefore, other marine species.

- here the author tells us : WHY SEA OTTERS ARE KEYSTONE
- no + or - POV by author

Quote:
This ecological cascade effect of secondary extinctions resulting from a decrease in otter populations and corresponding growth in urchin populations was observed throughout the 19th century along the Pacific coast of North America. Sea otters had been aggressively hunted for their rich pelts since before the 1600s, and this practice was not outlawed until an international treaty was signed in 1911 to prevent further exploitation. Prior to the enforcement of the treaty, hunters caused sea otter populations to decline; this in turn caused sea urchin populations to explode. Consequently, the urchin populations overexploited their primary food source, kelp, creating a preponderance of urchin barrens.

- function : how NO OTTER would indirectly affect something else...followed by examples
- again the author ony tells us what happened IN HISTORY when otter was depleted ... is he saying they should be saved NOW???
is he concerned that they are depleting?? NOOO
All the author is expanding on the fact that "OTTER IS A KEYSONE SPECIEIS " .....

1. The author's tone towards sea otters could best be described as

(A) disdainful - no negarivity - WRONG
(B) dispassionate - plainly explanding on a topic "otters are keysrone species " ...pure description.. NO STANDS
(C) concerned- plainly descriptive
(D) critical- WRONG
(E) jovial - NO POSITIVITY - WRONG
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
I am still not convinced with option B for question 1.
Sea otter, a keystone organism, maintains the ecology system indirectly. Though their the size and number might be less, sea otters play a key role to sustain the other organisms, keeping the urchins in check.
Prior to 1911, excessive hunting had caused depletion of sea otters, eventually leading to exploitation of other organisms by urchins.

With the above understanding, I think the author is concerned about sea otters.
C should be the correct choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Can anyone please explain the answer of question 2 and question 4.
Thanks!
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32890 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
priyaarorastep wrote:
Can anyone please explain the answer of question 2 and question 4.
Thanks!

Read my response about question #4 in below link

https://gmatclub.com/forum/of-the-many- ... l#p2320112

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1441 [1]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
QTN 5
Official explanation

Correct Answer: A

The final sentence of the second paragraph states that: The extended consequences include local extinction of other species and vast urchin barrens: subtidal areas where the unchecked population growth of sea urchins has caused a dearth of kelp and, therefore, other marine species. This sentence sets the cause and effect relationship that the lack of kelp led to the lack of other marine species. Thus, it can be inferred that kelp provide a unique habitat for such species that were unable to survive in the absence of kelp.

Q4

Correct Answer: B

The term holdfast is used in the second paragraph: Without sea otters, sea urchins and other seafloor herbivores would graze on kelp holdfasts, causing kelp to drift away from their substrates and die. The effect of sea urchins and other herbivores on these holdfasts would be to permit kelp to drift away; thus, it can be inferred that without interference from herbivores, the role of the holdfast is to anchor the kelp, and B is the correct answer. Answer choice A is incorrect as the kelps is the organism, not the holdfast itself. Choices C, D, and E are unsupported by the passage.

Q2

The primary purpose of this passage is to highlight the significance of the sea otter in its environment, and the first paragraph spends multiple sentences noting the meaning of keystone species to give a phrase to this importance. The Sea Otter as a Keystone Species is an apt summary of the passage, and thus E is the correct answer. Answer choice A is incorrect, as the prominence of the sea urchin in this passage is mitigated by the impact that the otter also has on kelp beds and other features of the ecosystem. Answer choice D is similarly incorrect, as the urchins are one facet of the otter's importance; D fails to mention the otter at all. Choices B and C are each too broad in scope, as this passage deals specifically with the sea otter; those answer choices seek to describe entire ecological topics in much too broad a scope.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Moubani wrote:

It gets mentioned in the latter lines where the paragraph mentions "this leads to a loss of habitat", this gives us a clue that kelp holdfasts act as a place to reside for some species and that idea is reciprocated in option saying that it anchors...
I hope you understand.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Q 4

The term holdfast is used in the second paragraph: Without sea otters, sea urchins and other seafloor herbivores would graze on kelp holdfasts, causing kelp to drift away from their substrates and die. The effect of sea urchins and other herbivores on these holdfasts would be to permit kelp to drift away; thus, it can be inferred that without interference from herbivores, the role of the holdfast is to anchor the kelp, and B is the correct answer. Answer choice A is incorrect as the kelps is the organism, not the holdfast itself. Choices C, D, and E are unsupported by the passage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Can anyone help me with Question 1?

The author seems to be concerned about the sea otters in the passage.

Answer should be C.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [3]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
nkme2007 wrote:
Can anyone help me with Question 1?

The author seems to be concerned about the sea otters in the passage.

Answer should be C.

Hi nkme2007,

My take on the question: Author doesn't seem to be concerned. He is simply reporting facts. Concerned does seem a good option as author mentions about the harm happening to the ecosystem, but presents this information from a neutral perspective. No such sentiment of concern seems to be reflecting from his views, making B the better answer here.

Let me know if this helps.
Thanks.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts