Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 237
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: For farmers in the Salinas Valley, the vegetable growing business has [#permalink]
For farmers in the Salinas Valley, the vegetable growing business has always been one of economic ups and downs, the downs usually because of unfavorable weather that killed crops, or they ripened too quickly.

We are told of general facts relating to the farm growing business, so any sentence that implies one-off events or occurrences instead of general facts/ truths about the business is incorrect.
(A) because of unfavorable weather that killed crops, or they ripened
(C) being caused by unfavorable weather that killed or ripened crops

Next, "that they ripen" is incorrect as "that" could really only refer to "unfavourable weather", so plural "they" just doesn't make logical sense. Who is they?
(E) caused by unfavorable weather killing crops, or that they ripen

I got tripped on B, but I realise now that "killing crops quickly" is extremely colloquial. We should also always prefer a clause to a phrase.
D contains the two effects: kills/ ripens in a clause.
in D "caused by" correctly modifies "the downs"

(B) because of unfavorable weather killing or ripening crops

(D) caused by unfavorable weather that kills crops or ripens them
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Re: For farmers in the Salinas Valley, the vegetable growing business has [#permalink]
Has to be Kills, the word Kills falls perfectly in the sentence and also it is better to use caused rather than becasue
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
eybrj2 wrote:
For farmers in the Salinas Valley, the vegetable growing business has always been one of economic ups and downs, the downs usually because of unfavorable weather that killed crops, or they ripened too quickly.

HI AndrewN, GMATCoachBen

Can you please help me with this question?

I was confused by POE.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
For farmers in the Salinas Valley, the vegetable growing business has [#permalink]
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

HI AndrewN, GMATCoachBen

Can you please help me with this question?

I was confused by POE.

Hello, NandishSS. I would be happy to offer my thoughts to assist you and the larger community. The first thing that strikes my eye is the split at the head of the underlined portion. Should it be because of or caused by?

the downs [are] usually _______ unfavorable weather

You might question why I stuck a verb in there when the sentence structure requires its absence—the underlined portion is a modifier. The verb simply provides an easy way to focus on this part of the sentence without getting lost in too many details. And this is a straightforward split. To be honest, I was expecting because of versus due to. Remember, because of is used to modify verbs, and the sentence is clearly outlining that a noun, the downs, needs to be modified instead. Thus, we can eliminate choices (A) and (B). Meanwhile, due to is used to modify nouns, and guess what? A replacement for due to is caused by, as this e-GMAT article explains in depth.

The presence of being in choice (C) gives us reason to pause. I left it on the table without looking at the rest of the answer choice and compared (D) and (E) instead, looking for weaknesses in either. Here, we encounter an internal split between weather that kills and weather killing. Not only does the former fit the context seamlessly, but the latter part of (E) is ungrammatical. I mean, a comma plus or that they ripen? What is that supposed to mean? Choice (E) is out.

Looking at (D), there is simply nothing to single out to argue against. Caused by makes sense, as explained earlier, as does weather that kills crops. Finally, we have an A or B construct that presents two downsides: weather that [either] kills crops or ripens [crops] too quickly. This makes perfect sense, and the grammar checks out. If you felt like checking (C) one last time, you will notice that it shifts into the simple past tense for no reason. The earlier present perfect has always been indicates that we need to conjugate our verbs in the underlined portion to suggest an ongoing cycle (of ups and downs). The simple past comments merely on, well, the past. We can feel confident choosing (D).

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me about the question. I have to run to a lesson!

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thank You AndrewN for the wonderful explanation :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Thanks for the explanation.

Takeaway: "Because of" modify verbs, whereas "caused by / due to" modify nouns. In the present case, "caused by" modifies downs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Why doesn't D require "that" be used after the or?
"that kills crops or that ripens them too quickly"

does "or" not have the same parallelism constraints as "and", and only requires the verbs be parallel ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 494
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
Can someone explain usage of due to vs becaus vs caused by?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TBT wrote:
Can someone explain usage of due to vs becaus vs caused by?

Hey TBT

Happy to help.

Please read this article to understand the difference between 'due to' and 'because of'.

Now that you've understood the difference, let's take a look at this question:

For farmers in the Salinas Valley, the vegetable growing business has always been one of economic ups and downs, the downs usually caused by unfavorable weather that kills crops or ripens them too quickly.

Note that here 'caused' behaves as a verb-ed modifier of the noun 'downs'. In this context, we can even modify 'downs' with the help of the preposition 'because of'. So, the two don't make much of a difference in this question.

Hope this helps improve your understanding.

Happy Learning!

Abhishek :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
For farmers in the Salinas Valley, the vegetable growing business has [#permalink]
GMATNinja EducationAisle IanStewart Can I eliminate options A, B, C, and D on the basis of wrong tense used? Since the sentence is about a phenomenon that happens USUALLY, we need to use simple present tense. Please confirm.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bv8562 wrote:
Can I eliminate options A, B, C, and D on the basis of wrong tense used? Since the sentence is about a phenomenon that happens USUALLY, we need to use simple present tense. Please confirm.

Well, D is the OA:).

Also, you might want to note that the phrase "unfavorable weather killing or ripening crops" (in option B) doesn't really have any explicit tense associated with it.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63661 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bv8562 wrote:
GMATNinja EducationAisle IanStewart Can I eliminate options A, B, C, and D on the basis of wrong tense used? Since the sentence is about a phenomenon that happens USUALLY, we need to use simple present tense. Please confirm.

Nah. Here, have an example:

"Tim usually watered the flowers on Friday, but last week he decided to throw caution to the wind and water them on Thursday, causing all of them to die."

"Watered" is a past tense verb modified by "usually." Not a problem here. We're talking about a past tendency.

All to say: the most concrete issues in the incorrect options are related to faulty parallelism or illogical meaning. If you're having trouble spotting those problems, let us know!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts