Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Booth Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Lacroix5,

Overall I think your profile is pretty competitive for their deferred program. Excellent GPA from a great business program at Ross. Work experience and leadership sound very competitive too.

Only challenge is your GMAT, which is solid, but below average for Booth's class. I don't think that alone is a reason not to apply, just warning you that it could be an issue and if you end up waiting and applying later, I would plan to retake it.

Check out some of the resources via Booth's Rustandy Center, as I believe they just introduced an Impact Investing course. My sense is that it's a popular choice of post-MBA career, but there still aren't a ton of jobs in it, so make sure you're showing why that's a good fit for you, and how your prior experience or even personal interests translates to impact investing.

Good luck!
Kate

Lacroix5 wrote:
Wanting to know whether my profile will make me competitive for the Booth Scholars deferred admissions program.

nationality: US
Undergrad Information: 3.9 GPA from the University of Michigan Ross School of Business
GMAT: 710 (Q46, V40)
Work experience and leadership: Interned and accepted offer to top-tier boutique investment bank in NYC following graduation. Strong internship working at credit fund the summer before. Multiple leadership roles in school clubs/organizations
Post MBA goals: Work in private equity with a focus on impact investing
Anything else?
Recommendation letters from supervisor at each internship. Expecting the rec's to be personal and quite strong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GPA: 3.27
WE:General Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Booth Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
This would be the first time I appear in GMAT, I am aiming for an admit in a reputed institution. Booth being finance oriented is my preferred choice. Kindly evaluate my profile.
Nationality: Indian
Undergrad Information: 3.26 GPA from an established university in India
Work experience: 3 and half years in retail banking handling operational areas and government and tax related areas serving in India's largest govt owned bank.
Post MBA goal: Become an investment banker with a preference for a job in AMC or investment advisory.
Will Booth suit my needs or should I keep an eye for other colleges
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Booth '19
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V50
Send PM
Ypsychotic wrote:
This would be the first time I appear in GMAT, I am aiming for an admit in a reputed institution. Booth being finance oriented is my preferred choice. Kindly evaluate my profile.
Nationality: Indian
Undergrad Information: 3.26 GPA from an established university in India
Work experience: 3 and half years in retail banking handling operational areas and government and tax related areas serving in India's largest govt owned bank.
Post MBA goal: Become an investment banker with a preference for a job in AMC or investment advisory.
Will Booth suit my needs or should I keep an eye for other colleges

Hi! With a few of my MBA friends graduating from Chicago Booth we are running a Webinar to help anyone thinking of applying to an MBA program abroad.
Ask us any questions you have about the school selection or application process.

Join us live this Thursday 4/4 9 am CST (7:30pm IST). Register with your email and we'll send a calendar invite with all the details.

https://bit.ly/webinar_MyMBACircle
Intern
Intern
Send PM
26, male, Indian Sikh.
Business economics graduate from Delhi University (first division). I've derived that my GPA is 3.7 (kindly correct if wrong)
GMAT: 740 (Q51, V39, IR8, AWA6)
Work experience:
Full time 2.5 years, freelance 1.5 years.

I freelanced with a production studio as a cinematographer and a video editor for 6 months. They hired me full-time and promoted me to the post of senior producer because I was good at dealing with clients. This lasted for 6 months too.
Then I left for Mumbai to assist in ads and films to learn more. I was freelancing as well. I was the assistant cinematographer in Kapil Sharma's "Firangi". Was part of many short films as well.

Then I joined my family business of medicine exports. It involved handling purchase and negotiating rates and payment terms. Soon I started travelling to Imphal to manage a pharmacy as it's conflict struck area and hiring someone local was tough.
Additionally, I became a mutual fund distributor in Jan last year. I have a sizeable AUM under me. I am also a stock trader. I still freelance as a cinematographer.

In college I used to make short films on social causes. I'd write, shoot, direct and edit myself. The topics ranged from communal differences, eve teasing to organ donation. I screened the organ donation movie in my college and about 50 viewers pledged their organs after the screening.
I also won numerous awards in -
Street theatre
Best photographer
Best cinematography
Best short film (director)

I wish to get into financial consulting post MBA.

What is the deal breaker here? I've been told that my work ex won't count since I've mostly worked for myself or my family (albeit full time).

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Booth '19
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V50
Send PM
Taranveersingh93 wrote:
26, male, Indian Sikh.
Business economics graduate from Delhi University (first division). I've derived that my GPA is 3.7 (kindly correct if wrong)
GMAT: 740 (Q51, V39, IR8, AWA6)
Work experience:
Full time 2.5 years, freelance 1.5 years.

I freelanced with a production studio as a cinematographer and a video editor for 6 months. They hired me full-time and promoted me to the post of senior producer because I was good at dealing with clients. This lasted for 6 months too.
Then I left for Mumbai to assist in ads and films to learn more. I was freelancing as well. I was the assistant cinematographer in Kapil Sharma's "Firangi". Was part of many short films as well.

Then I joined my family business of medicine exports. It involved handling purchase and negotiating rates and payment terms. Soon I started travelling to Imphal to manage a pharmacy as it's conflict struck area and hiring someone local was tough.
Additionally, I became a mutual fund distributor in Jan last year. I have a sizeable AUM under me. I am also a stock trader. I still freelance as a cinematographer.

In college I used to make short films on social causes. I'd write, shoot, direct and edit myself. The topics ranged from communal differences, eve teasing to organ donation. I screened the organ donation movie in my college and about 50 viewers pledged their organs after the screening.
I also won numerous awards in -
Street theatre
Best photographer
Best cinematography
Best short film (director)

I wish to get into financial consulting post MBA.

What is the deal breaker here? I've been told that my work ex won't count since I've mostly worked for myself or my family (albeit full time).

Hi Taranveer,

We can help answer your questions in our webinar this week. After hearing positive feedback from those of you who were able to attend our first webinar, We are hosting our second webinar. We will be live this Thursday from 9:30am-10:30am CT / 8:00pm-9:00pm IST to answer any questions you may have about the MBA Application process.

You can register here to attend: bit.ly/mymbacircle_webinar2

We look forward to speaking with you soon!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

Please evaluate my profile as an out of state student applying for Weekend MBA at Booth.
My undergraduate GPA is 3.45 and my GMAT is 700.
Also, I am working as a consultant Deloitte for past 3 years.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi Experts!

I'd like to kindly request you for your feedback on my candidacy. Here goes.

Background:
Indian Male
Age 27
GMAT 720 (Q50, V38)
Industry: Consulting (Front end consulting role in one of the largest HR Consulting organizations in the world, typically held by Tier-1 MBA professionals)

Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from IIT Delhi (CGPA – 7.0)

Work Experience: Total 4+ years (in india)
Worked for over 2 years in a social sector consulting startup and 1 year in an election campaign strategy firm (a SuperPAC). Working in the strategic HR consulting for last 1 year. Worked in diverse geographies (as a student and a working professional) from rural India to Europe

Extra curriculars – Won international competitions and worked on two international projects in Europe. Worked as Coordinator in various campus festivals and a student association club.

Post MBA Goal – Startup in the Indian vernacular entertainment segment

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Could you kindly review my profile for the 2019-2020 admission cycle?
I apologize for the very lengthy post.

My profile/stats:

* 28 this year, Southeast Asian (Chinese) based in Singapore
* GMAT: 710 (Q49, V36, IR7); first "blind" attempt; will be looking aiming for 750-770.
* GPA: 3.1/4.0; one of the top colleges/target schools in Singapore, this is my primary concern
* No. of WE: 3 years as of now (started upon graduation in May 2016).
>> Spent 1 year in the wealth management division (front office sales) of a tier1 US bank
>> Was a top performer and earmarked for promotion at the end of the year
>> However, I have always wanted to work in financial markets. Hence, I left for a tier2 investment bank after 1 year of cold calling
>> Joined on contract. Performance was good and they created a headcount for me after 1 year.
>> Got promoted to senior analyst in my 2nd year. Given additional responsibilities to cover 2 sets of clients (essentially 2 men's job)

* Extracurricular activities during college:
>> Elected into student office during college. Initiated and led various signature events
>> Part of a major band in school. Invited for various paid gigs and even overseas performances
>> Took part in various case competitions and overseas study trips

* Extracurricular activities post-college:
>> Part of the same alumni band
>> Part of an alumni mentoring circle
>> Volunteers in a church - mentoring younger boys
>> Freelance as a wedding pianist

Post MBA goals:
* Short/medium term - consulting with MBB with a focus on public sector/government or financial services (am not fully certain on the focus to be very honest) in the US. I plan to stay in the US for a few years. Alternatively, I'd be happy to explore options in general management/strategy. I believe all my short term goals are realistic with a T15 MBA.
* Long term - I am not looking to start any company or join a VC/HF/PE. I personally believe I am better suited to working in a large corporate. Hence, I am looking for longevity within the mgmt consulting firm or move into a strategy/COO role in the public sector/financial services.

I would like to have an immersive experience at school. Smaller size would be a plus, not a must. Would like a place with a heavy focus on teamwork and collaboration. Strength in general management will be a plus.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Bio: Age 27, Male, USA.

GMAT: 710 (Q46, V41, IR 8, AWA 6) ,

Education: [/b]Bachelor of Science in Finance with a 3.5 GPA from a top 30 US School with a minor in Entrepreneurship.
Education # 2: Master in Information Systems and Operations Management from Top 30 school with 3.33 GPA

Research: Performed portfolio construction research during undergrad for a professor in the finance dept. (1 year)
Research #2: Performed benchmarking analysis during graduate school for the head of the information systems dept. (1 year)

Work Experience: 3 years full-time work experience at a mid-sized Management Consulting firm in NYC. Promoted once. Lead a small team.

Extracurriculars: I was a Teaching Assistant during my undergraduate and graduate years for the International Business dept. (3 years). Also I was a member of the club baseball team at my school and helped organize our school's homecoming parade. After University I have been involved in the intern process at my company by helping coordinate events and mentoring prospective employees.

Volunteer Experience: During my university years I volunteered at the boys and girls club of America. After university I volunteered in NYC as a little league coach and also continued to volunteer at the Boys and Girls club.

Letters of Recommendation: Will have no problem getting letters of rec from either superiors at consulting firm or professors in the Finance and Information Systems Dept. at my University

Post MBA Goals: After my MBA I plan to either go back to management consulting or open up my own consulting firm. I also have a passion for sports and would love to work in the front office of a major US sports team. I hope to leverage the connections that I make during my MBA as a way to advance my career and also I really value the experience of being around like-minded peers.

Target Schools: Harvard, Penn, Stanford, Yale, Dartmouth, Columbia Cornell, Duke.

Thank you for your support and I am looking forward to hearing your advice.

Best regards,
Michael
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ratesman,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. A few notes on the various components of your profile:

Academic: I recommend you include a statement about your undergraduate performance in your application. A persuasive explanation, coupled with a 750+ GMAT score would help alleviate adcom's concerns, provided the rest of your profile and application material reflects a strong candidate.

Professional: I like that you have been promoted and have taken a more significant leadership role within your organization. In this part of your profile, I recommend you consider how your professional experiences have informed your short and long-term goals. How do you intend to use your experiences to propel your career in management consulting? And how will the MBA fill any gaps and strengthen your candidacy?

Community Engagement: Your ECs are strong. Be sure to reflect on how these experiences help you bring a diversity of perspective to your community.

With an increased GMAT and well-formulated strong application, you have a chance at a top 15.

I am happy to discuss your profile further. If interested, please reach out.

Good luck!

ratesman wrote:
Could you kindly review my profile for the 2019-2020 admission cycle?
I apologize for the very lengthy post.

My profile/stats:

* 28 this year, Southeast Asian (Chinese) based in Singapore
* GMAT: 710 (Q49, V36, IR7); first "blind" attempt; will be looking aiming for 750-770.
* GPA: 3.1/4.0; one of the top colleges/target schools in Singapore, this is my primary concern
* No. of WE: 3 years as of now (started upon graduation in May 2016).
>> Spent 1 year in the wealth management division (front office sales) of a tier1 US bank
>> Was a top performer and earmarked for promotion at the end of the year
>> However, I have always wanted to work in financial markets. Hence, I left for a tier2 investment bank after 1 year of cold calling
>> Joined on contract. Performance was good and they created a headcount for me after 1 year.
>> Got promoted to senior analyst in my 2nd year. Given additional responsibilities to cover 2 sets of clients (essentially 2 men's job)

* Extracurricular activities during college:
>> Elected into student office during college. Initiated and led various signature events
>> Part of a major band in school. Invited for various paid gigs and even overseas performances
>> Took part in various case competitions and overseas study trips

* Extracurricular activities post-college:
>> Part of the same alumni band
>> Part of an alumni mentoring circle
>> Volunteers in a church - mentoring younger boys
>> Freelance as a wedding pianist

Post MBA goals:
* Short/medium term - consulting with MBB with a focus on public sector/government or financial services (am not fully certain on the focus to be very honest) in the US. I plan to stay in the US for a few years. Alternatively, I'd be happy to explore options in general management/strategy. I believe all my short term goals are realistic with a T15 MBA.
* Long term - I am not looking to start any company or join a VC/HF/PE. I personally believe I am better suited to working in a large corporate. Hence, I am looking for longevity within the mgmt consulting firm or move into a strategy/COO role in the public sector/financial services.

I would like to have an immersive experience at school. Smaller size would be a plus, not a must. Would like a place with a heavy focus on teamwork and collaboration. Strength in general management will be a plus.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.61
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi Id like a profile evaluation

30 Male Pakistan National

710 GMAT

3.6/4 GPA mechanical engineer. Honor roll student top 5% of class.

Wireline Product and Service Delivery Manager at Schlumberger (largest O&G services co)
75 direct/indirect reports. 20$ million annual revenue generating location. Responsible for revenue generation, operations, sales, training and coaching, supplier management and new technology introduction for Pakistan’s Wireline business. 8 years in the company. 1.5 years in current role.

International exposure in Saudi Arabia working with Saudi Aramco as field engineer.

Passionate about cycling and photography. Lead corporate initiative for local communities (school) where Schlumberger operates in Sindh Pakistan. Been volunteering consistently since high school.

Strong academic and extra curricular background.

Thanks.
Ahmed

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
ahmedgjr wrote:
Hi Id like a profile evaluation

30 Male Pakistan National

710 GMAT

3.6/4 GPA mechanical engineer. Honor roll student top 5% of class.

Wireline Product and Service Delivery Manager at Schlumberger (largest O&G services co)
75 direct/indirect reports. 20$ million annual revenue generating location. Responsible for revenue generation, operations, sales, training and coaching, supplier management and new technology introduction for Pakistan’s Wireline business. 8 years in the company. 1.5 years in current role.

International exposure in Saudi Arabia working with Saudi Aramco as field engineer.

Passionate about cycling and photography. Lead corporate initiative for local communities (school) where Schlumberger operates in Sindh Pakistan. Been volunteering consistently since high school.

Strong academic and extra curricular background.

Thanks.
Ahmed

Hi Ahmed,

Your work profile is great. You are in a leadership position and directly handling budgets which is always a plus point. A few points to note:
1. Your GMAT score is quite average. Any chance of a retake?
2. You seem to be working on critical project with the wireless business. I believe you should milk this well for the application. You may have a story to tell about working on a project of national importance and how it connects with your career vision - just laying out some thoughts here
3. Given that you have worked in the same company for 8+ years, you must show career progression.
4. Also, being an MBA post 30, there should be a solid need for doing an MBA now.
5. The extra curricular activities if substantial will hold you in good stead
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM