Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi,

I would appreciate any feedback about chances for INSEAD.

Latin American
BSc in Industrial Engineering
~4 yrs WE in banking AT government-owned development bank
Undergrad exchange for a year
GMAT: 700 (Q44 V41 IR5)
Extrac: leadership roles in some local professional associations

Cheers
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
engbanker wrote:
Hi,

Latin American

Cheers

A couple of additional questions before I respond:

1) How were your grades as an undergrad?
2) What do you want to do post-MBA?
3) Do you have experience in your background that points to your identification with social good aspect of INSEAD's mission?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Accepted.com wrote:
engbanker wrote:
Hi,

Latin American

Cheers

3) Do you have experience in your background that points to your identification with social good aspect of INSEAD's mission?

Thanks

Hey Linda,

1) 7.7/10, 2nd highest in my graduating cohort.
2) Consulting
3) Actually, yes. I have been involved mainly in infrastructure financing where regional impact is very relevant as it is located in an emergent market.

Thanks for the attention

Cheers

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hello everyone,

I am 27 years old, female
I have 4+ years consulting and start-up experience, promoted 2 times as top performer
I have Bsc. in engineering from one of the highest ranked university. I studied with 50% scholarship, but have a low GPA (2.8 over 4)
I have 700 GMAT score (50Q, 34V, 8IR)

I have played volleyball in minor leagues for 11 years, I am 2* scuba diver for 5 years

What do you think about my chances for INSEAD?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
irmako wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have 4+ years consulting and start-up experience, promoted 2 times as top performer
I have Bsc. in engineering from one of the highest ranked university. I studied with 50% scholarship, but have a low GPA (2.8 over 4)

I have played volleyball in minor leagues for 11 years, I am 2* scuba diver for 5 years

Hi Irmako,

The information you have provided here is not sufficient for me to understand your profile. A few questions keeping INSEAD's evaluation criteria in mind:
1. What is the break up of your work experience? How long have you worked at the consulting/ start-up? what were your roles and achievements at both these places?
2. Do you have international experience and exposure to working in international teams?
3. Your GPA is low, but that can't change now. Do you have a reason for the low marks? Was your scholarship merit based?
4. What do you want to do after INSEAD?
Send PM
Expert Reply
engbanker wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
engbanker wrote:
Hi,

Latin American

Cheers

Thanks

Hey Linda,

1) 7.7/10, 2nd highest in my graduating cohort.
2) Consulting
3) Actually, yes. I have been involved mainly in infrastructure financing where regional impact is very relevant as it is located in an emergent market.

Thanks for the attention

Cheers

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks for the additional information. You have a competitive profile for INSEAD.

You might be interested in
1. My interview with Virginie Fougea, Director of Recruitment and Admissions at INSEAD.
2.The Get Accepted to INSEAD webinar recording.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi all,

First time posting in the GMAT Club forum and hoping to get some feedback on my profile and an overall assessment on the likelihood of getting an interview with INSEAD.

Background and nationality = Canadian

Undergrad Information = Completed an Honours BComm at McMaster University with a focus in Accounting & Finance

GMAT: 620 (Q44, V33)

Work experience and leadership: I manage and own a few businesses the most notable being a large event space in Toronto where we host a variety of social and corporate events ranging from Weddings, Receptions, Galas, Corporate Meetings, etc. This is a family business that I helped start alongside my brother and father. It is now lead by my brother and I. We host over 300 events a year and guest sizes range from 100-1500 guests. I am also a franchisee of a major convenience store franchise in Toronto, where I currently own and operate 3 locations. Also have a small size private investment

Community and others
-Very much enjoy travelling and hiking/mountain climbing. Most notable climbs so far include Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Carrauntoohil. Have currently booked a trip to Nepal to complete the 3 Passes Trek.
-I am involved in a social group where I act as a mentor for high school students and help create social engagement opportunities

Post MBA goals
-Further streamline the operations of my businesses so that I may start and grow new ventures in a sustainable manner.
-Strengthen international network and gain confidence conducting business internationally.

I am a bit concerned that my GMAT score may be too low so I am working towards writing the exam again, however I do not want to miss Round 1. Would it be advisable to apply with my current score or should I rewrite and then apply? Based off my schedule, the earliest I could see myself writing would be 1 week before the deadline.

Any help is appreciated and please do let me know if any other information is required. Would also love any suggestions of schools I should research into given my profile!

Thanks in advance!
Send PM
Expert Reply
JS2005 wrote:
Hi all,

First time posting in the GMAT Club forum and hoping to get some feedback on my profile and an overall assessment on the likelihood of getting an interview with INSEAD.

Background and nationality = Canadian

Undergrad Information = Completed an Honours BComm at McMaster University with a focus in Accounting & Finance

GMAT: 620 (Q44, V33)

Work experience and leadership: I manage and own a few businesses the most notable being a large event space in Toronto where we host a variety of social and corporate events ranging from Weddings, Receptions, Galas, Corporate Meetings, etc. This is a family business that I helped start alongside my brother and father. It is now lead by my brother and I. We host over 300 events a year and guest sizes range from 100-1500 guests. I am also a franchisee of a major convenience store franchise in Toronto, where I currently own and operate 3 locations. Also have a small size private investment

Community and others
-Very much enjoy travelling and hiking/mountain climbing. Most notable climbs so far include Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Carrauntoohil. Have currently booked a trip to Nepal to complete the 3 Passes Trek.
-I am involved in a social group where I act as a mentor for high school students and help create social engagement opportunities

Post MBA goals
-Further streamline the operations of my businesses so that I may start and grow new ventures in a sustainable manner.
-Strengthen international network and gain confidence conducting business internationally.

I am a bit concerned that my GMAT score may be too low so I am working towards writing the exam again, however I do not want to miss Round 1. Would it be advisable to apply with my current score or should I rewrite and then apply? Based off my schedule, the earliest I could see myself writing would be 1 week before the deadline.

Any help is appreciated and please do let me know if any other information is required. Would also love any suggestions of schools I should research into given my profile!

Thanks in advance!

You need a higher GMAT to be competitive at INSEAD and I do recommend you focus first on getting that score up even if it means a later application.

For INSEAD you also need to show a real appetite for international business or what INSEAD calls "International Motivation." You also need to show that you share the social element of its motto.

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Other (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Irmako,

If you can, then you should increase your GMAT score because pre-mba consulting pool has really high average GMAT score. Applying in Round 1 or 2 is secondary if you do not have a good GMAT to support your application. So do not put yourself under pressure to apply in a specific round. Just get the GMAT blocker out of the way first.

You need to push your verbal score a bit. Take a look at link in the signature to understand more on academic capacity.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma
INSEAD Class of December 2017
----------------------------
Applying to INSEAD R1 Sep 2020?
Is your admission consultant from INSEAD?
MBA and Beyond Consulting/Academic Capacity
Schedule a free Profile Evaluation Session here.

irmako wrote:
Hello everyone,

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 61
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello, please find below details about my profile.

Background:
- Indo Canadian (naturalized citizen), Male, 30
- Bilingual - Hindi, English

GMAT (TBD: scheduled for September first week): Aiming for 710+ (feedback welcomed)

Education:
- Undergrad - B.Eng. in Comp Science from a mid tier university in India (Honours degree, ranked in top 2 of graduating class) - 79%
- Grad School - Master of Science in Comp Science from a top public research university in Canada (100% scholarship, Department Research Award) - (GPA - 3.85/4)

Profile summary:
- Software Professional with 8+ years experience in ideating, implementing, and delivering innovative solutions
- Experience in technical leadership, customer-centric technology and R&D consulting, software project management, and technology risk management

Work experience (Moved to Canada right after undergrad, so the entire work experience is international(?)):
8+ years of work experience in Canada at increasing responsibility levels in technology:

1. Software Engineer (3.5 years)
- 1 year at a research lab directly working with industry partners
- 2.5 years at a large gaming company

2. Senior Software Engineer/Team Lead (6 months)
- Helped an early stage product startup scale
- Lead various automation efforts and technical team

3. Software Architect (4 years) - Boutique technology consulting firm
- Technical Project Manager responsibilities for about 8 months
- Technical decision making during sales & implementation lifecycle of various consulting projects - architecture, scoping, estimations etc.
- Leadership including mentoring team members, designing and leading the hiring process, team growth (led to 5X growth)
- Business development, attending conferences/sales (mostly US) as a technical expert

Tech Entrepreneurship Experience:

1. Co-founded an engagement analytics product company (tech startup) (8 months)
- Venture selected for a prestigious seed-stage program for scalable, science-based companies
- Mentorship by some famous VCs and entrepreneurs in technology space
- Actively involved in all aspects of product and business development: product refinement, market research, growth strategy, financial evaluation/projection, investment strategies, customer outreach
- Raised capital investment

2. Software Architecture Consultant (Independent)

Other activities/Volunteer work:
- Technology Advisor for a STEM education not-for-profit organization
- Regular participation as an instructor in not-for-profit STEM learning workshops for children and youth
- Lead a team that won a hackathon related to open data and technology use for civic engagement
- Avid hiker

Post-MBA goals:
Short term:
- Management consulting to complement existing technology consulting experience/skills, specific interests: strategy consulting and analytics

Medium term:
- Senior Leadership positions at technology firms (FAANMG)

Long term:
- Entrepreneurship

Questions:
- Profile evaluation for INSEAD
    - Where do I stand?
    - What must be improved to increase chances of an admit?
- Is the lower bound for GMAT score aim sufficient, or should I aim for a higher score?
- I have already taken the entrepreneurship leap, and I am currently a self-employed Software Architecture Consultant, is this seen as a negative or a positive attribute of a profile?
- Planning to apply for September 2020 intake, does it make a difference when submitting an application for round 2 vs. round 3?
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi pipinstall,

thank you for sharing your profile.

Let me jump directly to your questions.

- Where do I stand?
I think your profile has good elements to be a good candidate for INSEAD. I would love to take a look at your resume, but in principle, I can see good career progression. I also like the fact that you co-founded a tech start-up and you're an entrepreneur now.

I understand you were born in India and all your work experience is in Canada, but do you have experience working in multi-cultural teams?

Also, what kind of projects and for what type of clients have you been involved in as an independent consultant?

At this point, there is not much that can be improved except your GMAT score. 710 is a good score, but try to aim higher if possible (i.e. 720-730).

Also, we don't know much about your current experience as entrepreneur, but in these cases, it always helps signing a big project for a global company. Bonus points if you are designated as the leader of a multi-cultural team and your project involves some international travel.

- Is the lower bound for GMAT score aim sufficient, or should I aim for a higher score?
As mentioned before, 710 is a good score and you could be accepted with 710. But obviously, the higher the better. Also, try to get a balanced score with at least 75th in Quant and Verbal sections, and at least an IR score of 6.

- I have already taken the entrepreneurship leap, and I am currently a self-employed Software Architecture Consultant, is this seen as a negative or a positive attribute of a profile?
It really depends on how you frame this move. If you are able to put together a compelling story that shows that taking this leap was a step forward in your career and that you took it keeping in mind your MBA plans and career goals, then you can use this entrepreneurship move to your favor.

- Planning to apply for September 2020 intake, does it make a difference when submitting an application for round 2 vs. round 3?
Yes, it does. INSEAD claims that the acceptance rate across all rounds is the same. However, the number of applications INSEAD receives decreases significantly in Rounds 3 and 4 as most candidates apply in Rounds 1 and 2. In short, in Round 3 and especially Round 4 there are not many seats left. Also, keep in mind that Canadian is one of the largest national groups at INSEAD, which means that competition is fierce. Therefore, if possible, try to submit your application as early as possible.

I hope this helps.

Like I said, I would really like to see your resume to understand better all your experiences and career progression. Feel free to PM me or email it to me at alex@arleeconsulting.com.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 61
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello Alex,

Thanks for your reply and insights. Please find my replies inline.

ARLeeConsulting wrote:
Hi pipinstall,

thank you for sharing your profile.

Let me jump directly to your questions.

- Where do I stand?
I think your profile has good elements to be a good candidate for INSEAD. I would love to take a look at your resume, but in principle, I can see good career progression. I also like the fact that you co-founded a tech start-up and you're an entrepreneur now.

I understand you were born in India and all your work experience is in Canada, but do you have experience working in multi-cultural teams?

Yes, pretty much my entire experience is with multi-cultural teams. I moved to Canada by myself, right after my undergrad.

- During grad school worked was a part of research lab that has researchers from all over the globe (Brazil, US, Germany, France, Canada, Finland, Ethiopia etc.). Presented at conferences abroad.
- For first job (gaming company) - worked only global level integration projects and with teams in Sweden and India, in-office team comprised of people from India, China etc.
- Software Architect position with technology consulting firm - projects with billion dollars global energy companies, government organizations, and SMEs; technology leadership with multiple teams comprised of individuals belonging to various backgrounds.

Also, what kind of projects and for what type of clients have you been involved in as an independent consultant?

I have recently made this move. Initial projects involve analytics, artificial intelligence etc., along the lines of introduction of new technology in SMEs and product roadmap & technology risk management consulting for startups.

Haven't signed up a big corp. yet, but hoping to sign up one soon.

At this point, there is not much that can be improved except your GMAT score. 710 is a good score, but try to aim higher if possible (i.e. 720-730).

Also, we don't know much about your current experience as entrepreneur, but in these cases, it always helps signing a big project for a global company. Bonus points if you are designated as the leader of a multi-cultural team and your project involves some international travel.

Do conferences count as international travel? I have presented at a few in the US, both during grad school and tenure at technology consulting firm.

I am also planning to explore remote consulting opportunities with companies in the US. That will require some travel.

As mentioned before, 710 is a good score and you could be accepted with 710. But obviously, the higher the better. Also, try to get a balanced score with at least 75th in Quant and Verbal sections, and at least an IR score of 6.

It really depends on how you frame this move. If you are able to put together a compelling story that shows that taking this leap was a step forward in your career and that you took it keeping in mind your MBA plans and career goals, then you can use this entrepreneurship move to your favor.

Reasons for entrepreneurship move:
- Getting out of comfort zone
- Honing business development skills
- Experience with strategizing growth

Yes, it does. INSEAD claims that the acceptance rate across all rounds is the same. However, the number of applications INSEAD receives decreases significantly in Rounds 3 and 4 as most candidates apply in Rounds 1 and 2. In short, in Round 3 and especially Round 4 there are not many seats left. Also, keep in mind that Canadian is one of the largest national groups at INSEAD, which means that competition is fierce. Therefore, if possible, try to submit your application as early as possible.

Like I said, I would really like to see your resume to understand better all your experiences and career progression. Feel free to PM me or email it to me at alex @ arleeconsulting . com

Thanks for the offer, I will reach out to you via PM.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex
Send PM
Expert Reply
pipinstall wrote:
Hello, please find below details about my profile.

Background:
- Indo Canadian (naturalized citizen), Male, 30
- Bilingual - Hindi, English

GMAT (TBD: scheduled for September first week): Aiming for 710+ (feedback welcomed)

Education:
- Undergrad - B.Eng. in Comp Science from a mid tier university in India (Honours degree, ranked in top 2 of graduating class) - 79%
- Grad School - Master of Science in Comp Science from a top public research university in Canada (100% scholarship, Department Research Award) - (GPA - 3.85/4)

Profile summary:
- Software Professional with 8+ years experience in ideating, implementing, and delivering innovative solutions
- Experience in technical leadership, customer-centric technology and R&D consulting, software project management, and technology risk management

Work experience (Moved to Canada right after undergrad, so the entire work experience is international(?)):
8+ years of work experience in Canada at increasing responsibility levels in technology:

1. Software Engineer (3.5 years)
- 1 year at a research lab directly working with industry partners
- 2.5 years at a large gaming company

2. Senior Software Engineer/Team Lead (6 months)
- Helped an early stage product startup scale
- Lead various automation efforts and technical team

3. Software Architect (4 years) - Boutique technology consulting firm
- Technical Project Manager responsibilities for about 8 months
- Technical decision making during sales & implementation lifecycle of various consulting projects - architecture, scoping, estimations etc.
- Leadership including mentoring team members, designing and leading the hiring process, team growth (led to 5X growth)
- Business development, attending conferences/sales (mostly US) as a technical expert

Tech Entrepreneurship Experience:

1. Co-founded an engagement analytics product company (tech startup) (8 months)
- Venture selected for a prestigious seed-stage program for scalable, science-based companies
- Mentorship by some famous VCs and entrepreneurs in technology space
- Actively involved in all aspects of product and business development: product refinement, market research, growth strategy, financial evaluation/projection, investment strategies, customer outreach
- Raised capital investment

2. Software Architecture Consultant (Independent)

Other activities/Volunteer work:
- Technology Advisor for a STEM education not-for-profit organization
- Regular participation as an instructor in not-for-profit STEM learning workshops for children and youth
- Lead a team that won a hackathon related to open data and technology use for civic engagement
- Avid hiker

Post-MBA goals:
Short term:
- Management consulting to complement existing technology consulting experience/skills, specific interests: strategy consulting and analytics

Medium term:
- Senior Leadership positions at technology firms (FAANMG)

Long term:
- Entrepreneurship

Questions:
- Profile evaluation for INSEAD
    - Where do I stand?

Thanks for requesting a profile evaluation.

A balanced 710 is competitive at INSEAD. Do realize that INSEAD looks more closely at the separate scores on the GMAT than the overall. Overall your profile is competitive, but I would prefer to see more multi-cultural experience. Yes I realize you immigrated form India to Canada. However INSEAD talks about "International Motivation" and it seems like you made the move and presumably adapted, but that's it. If you have worked in multi-cultural teams or traveled for pleasure outside of India and Canada, please make it clear that you did so.

Also INSEAD is looking for people with commitment to social good. You have some, but be sure to highlight it and make the most of what you've got.

You might be interested inmy interview with Virginie Fougea and our INSEAD essay tips.

Best,
Linda
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM