Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi Linda.
I have translated it on a linear scale.
My CGPA was 8.31/10.

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Re: Harvard Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sarvaanjan wrote:
Hi Linda.
I have translated it on a linear scale.
My CGPA was 8.31/10.

Thank you.

First piece of advice: Don't translate your percentage to a GPA unless asked to do so. No offence, but the schools are very experienced interpreting IIT transcripts. An they will do a better job of it.

A 3.32 GPA is very average and below average for the schools you are aiming for. An 8.31 is competitive. Your GMAT is competitive. Your work experience is also competitive. You have a competitive profile for the top MBA programs. Complete your applications with good use of detail, self-reflection and authenticity and your chances are good at top 15 programs.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Hi together,

I would be thankful for a quick profile review. I am in the process of applying to H / S / LBS.
German male management consultant.

My profile:
GPA: 3.94, Dual Degree 2 years in Germany, 2 years in US: BSc from a top 3 German business school, BA from a liberal arts college in the US
GMAT: 700 (41Q...)
Work experience: 3 years in MBB, probably early promotion in top 20% of class; two internships in college (audit, consulting) being selected for program for oustanding interns in both

Extra curriculars:
... at work: lead local office's social impact initiative on helping young immigrants to find apprenticeships, concert/festival photographer
... in college: student government finance chair, represented college at German-American conference at Harvard, led student consulting marketing department, led international marketing project, tutored in finance/operations/marketing, coached university dance team, 2nd in German state (4th in national) HipHop dancing championship, self-employed as graphic designer and photographer (studies completely self-funded)

Questions:
- Do you think I would have a chance at Stanford (dream school) despite my below average GMAT?
- I am trying to counterbalance the low quant score with a 7/8 in the GMAT IR and a very good recommendation from a MBB principal with a PhD in Maths praising my analytical skills

Post-MBA Goals:
Continue to work for same MBB, transition into VC focused on entertainment industry

Thanks a lot for your help! :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Raffer99 wrote:
Hi together,

I would be thankful for a quick profile review. I am in the process of applying to H / S / LBS.

My profile:
GPA: 3.94, Dual Degree 2 years in Germany, 2 years in US: BSc from a top 3 German business school, BA from a liberal arts college in the US
Work experience: 3 years in MBB, probably early promotion in top 20% of class; two internships in college (audit, consulting) being selected for program for oustanding interns in both

Extra curriculars:
... at work: lead local office's social impact initiative on helping young immigrants to find apprenticeships, concert/festival photographer
... in college: student government finance chair, represented college at German-American conference at Harvard, led student consulting marketing department, led international marketing project, tutored in finance/operations/marketing, coached university dance team, 2nd in German state (4th in national) HipHop dancing championship, self-employed as graphic designer and photographer (studies completely self-funded)

Questions:
- Do you think I would have a chance at Stanford (dream school) despite my below average GMAT?
- I am trying to counterbalance the low quant score with a 7/8 in the GMAT IR and a very good recommendation from a MBB principal with a PhD in Maths praising my analytical skills

Post-MBA Goals:
Continue to work for same MBB, transition into VC focused on entertainment industry

You're welcome.

It's possible that Stanford (and other top programs) would overlook your 41Q score given the other strong elements in your profile. However, it's also very possible that they will not. If you think you can raise it, and you should be able to do so given everything else you wrote about, the safest course of action is to prepare again focusing on the quant, but not ignoring verbal, and raise the score. Yes, that means even if you need to apply R2.

Best,
Linda
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Raffer99,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. Generally speaking, you have an excellent profile; however, your lower than average quant can be problematic for Stanford (and the other target school). That said, if you can showcase your quantitative abilities in your experiences, then Stanford (and the other target schools) will be more inclined to overlook the 41Q. This means, of course, that the rest of your application must be "spotless." Of course, if you have the time to retake (without jeopardizing the quality of your entire application), I recommend you do so.

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck!

Raffer99 wrote:
Hi together,

My profile:

Extra curriculars:

Questions:

Post-MBA Goals:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello,

Here are my stats:

International student from MENA area.
Undergrad: 4.0 GPA two degrees in finance and economics from an American small private liberal arts college
GMAT: 700 (49 Q, 36 V IR5)
WE: 8 years. I began my career in corporate finance and IB, then went into strategy consulting after graduation. I worked in the US, Europe, Africa and the Middle-East. Now I run an education technology social enterprise that focuses on using technology as a mean of transforming traditional high cost models of quality education.
Other professional activities: I serve contributor/commentator on economic policy to international news networks. I have published several white papers on academic and professional journals (e.g., HBR) I sit on the board of a few startups and international NGOs.
Awards: Forbes 30 under 30, designated as an expert on education technology by WEF, "Nobel Prize" for education finalist among a few others
Post-MBA goal: impact investing, scaling up my social enterprise

My main question is the following. Should I use the next couple of weeks working on improving my GMAT and apply on R2 or just use this time to refine my essay and submit my application . My main issue with the GMAT is timing, particularly on verbal (I usually make 2-3 mistakes on the first 28 questions, but have to quickly guess the remaining). While I was disappointed with my verbal score, my scores have been all over the place. With some practice, I may be able to bring up to 720.

Thank you in advance for your insights.
Send PM
Expert Reply
fluffy1234 wrote:
Hello,

Here are my stats:

International student from MENA area.
Undergrad: 4.0 GPA two degrees in finance and economics from an American small private liberal arts college
GMAT: 700 (49 Q, 36 V IR5)
WE: 8 years. I began my career in corporate finance and IB, then went into strategy consulting after graduation. I worked in the US, Europe, Africa and the Middle-East. Now I run an education technology social enterprise that focuses on using technology as a mean of transforming traditional high cost models of quality education.
Other professional activities: I serve contributor/commentator on economic policy to international news networks. I have published several white papers on academic and professional journals (e.g., HBR) I sit on the board of a few startups and international NGOs.
Awards: Forbes 30 under 30, designated as an expert on education technology by WEF, "Nobel Prize" for education finalist among a few others
Post-MBA goal: impact investing, scaling up my social enterprise

My main question is the following. Should I use the next couple of weeks working on improving my GMAT and apply on R2 or just use this time to refine my essay and submit my application . My main issue with the GMAT is timing, particularly on verbal (I usually make 2-3 mistakes on the first 28 questions, but have to quickly guess the remaining). While I was disappointed with my verbal score, my scores have been all over the place. With some practice, I may be able to bring up to 720.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

Your GPA and experience are highly competitive. Your GMAT is a little below average for HBS. I don't think it is low enough, given the rest of your profile to keep you out, HOWEVER neither of us can be sure of that. If you want to optimize you profile and chances, get that GMAT up to 720+.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Hello, here are my stats:

Male, 29 years, from LATAM

Undergrad GPA: 3.79 Industrial Engineering, with Honors in prestigious university in Mexico.
Grad GPA: 4.0 MSc Engineering Management, at SMU, Dallas.
GMAT: 690 (49Q, 35V, 8IR)
TOEFL iBT: 116
WE: Over 5 years in the construction sector in a family-owned company with 500+ employees. 2 promotions since I started working.
Extracurricular Activities Strongly involved with community activities, ranging from my city's tourism council to advisor to a local university specialized in the construction sector. Extracurricular studies, including HBS Online CORe graduated with Honors. Awards include a knowledge award from the Mexican Society of Industrial Engineers.
Goals: Return to the family business, as it is an important employer in its region, one of the most hardly affected by poverty and drug cartels.

Do I have any chances at round 1 or should I really strenghten my GMAT and try round 2?

Many thanks in advance!
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi goteiza,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I really like your profile and think you have a great chance at an admit, provided you submit a strong application. While it's always safer to retake the GMAT, you have definitely shown academic strength and recommend focusing your time on the application. If you haven't started your application yet, it's difficult to submit stellar materials in support of your candidacy in 11 days (deadline), however.

Please feel free to reach out if we can be of further assistance.

Good luck!

Susan

goteiza wrote:

Undergrad GPA: 3.79 Industrial Engineering, with Honors in prestigious university in Mexico.
WE: Over 5 years in the construction sector in a family-owned company with 500+ employees. 2 promotions since I started working.
Extracurricular Activities Strongly involved with community activities, ranging from my city's tourism council to advisor to a local university specialized in the construction sector. Extracurricular studies, including HBS Online CORe graduated with Honors. Awards include a knowledge award from the Mexican Society of Industrial Engineers.
Goals: Return to the family business, as it is an important employer in its region, one of the most hardly affected by poverty and drug cartels.

Do I have any chances at round 1 or should I really strenghten my GMAT and try round 2?

Many thanks in advance!
Send PM
Expert Reply
goteiza wrote:

Many thanks in advance!

You certainly have a chance R1. You have excellent grades, good work experience, international exposure, leadership, and clear goals. Normally I would say raise your GMAT and apply R2 to give yourself the best chance of acceptance, but you are strong enough in other areas where I am wavering.

I think I will come down on the side of advising you to apply R2 and improving your GMAT score. That will also mean you will not have a rushed application since the deadline is so soon. I am assuming that you are reasonably confident you can raise your GMAT.

Final thought. given that you already have a masters in construction management, be prepared to address in an interview why you still need an MBA. (Hint: brand alone can't be the reason.)

You may be interested in the recording of our recent Get Accepted to Harvard Business School webinar.

If you'd like help with your MBA application, please let me know. We have someone on staff who has specializes in LATAM application to top MBA programs, including HBS.

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1714
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
Send PM
Dear Linda,

Is there any upper age limit ( 45+)for H/S/W and other M7, considering rest of the profile is above average?
Regards,
Basim

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Background and nationality: 27 male from China

Undergrad Information:
Top Chinese diplomacy university, Major in English Language and Literature, Minor in International Relations
GPA: appox. 90/100 (my alma mater does not offer 4.0 scale GPA but the equivalent varies from 3.7-3.9 according to different metrics). Awarded national scholarships by Ministry of Education of China.

GMAT: 740 (Q51 V38 IR8 AW 5.5)
TOEFL: 115/120, I know most people on this forum don't need TOEFL scores but just put it as a reference

Work experience:
- (undergraduate) internship abroad at a United Nations regional hub, and Ministry of Finance of China, both working on policy analysis
- Joined one of China's policy financial institutions as client coverage officer since graduation, negotiating sovereign loans to local governments along the Belt and Road Initiative countries. Sectors are mainly focused on infrastructure, power, energy and resources.
1.1.5 years working in Beijing covering ASEAN countries
2.then fast-track promoted to regional manager on Asia and CIS (Russian-speaking countries) and worked for 2 years from Beijing, led a team and closed several deals, one of them was a Deal of the Year Award by a prestigious forum
3. relocated to Africa Office covering Eastern and Southern Africa. expected to have 1.5 years of WE upon matriculation. Lead negotiator for several mega sovereign debt restructuring (over 7bln USD) and interpreted for Company executives' meetings with African heads of states and government ministers.

Others: CFA, China CPA candidate, top employee performance award.
Traveled to over 30 countries in Asia, Europe and Africa, mostly in a professional capacity.
Official passport holder (government representative stationed abroad other than diplomats at the Embassy).

Extracurricular:
In college
- President of Debate and Public Speaking Club, won a few national and international awards
After college
- liaison officer of Chinese government poverty alleviation program to an impoverished county (each policy financier like us has been assigned a pair-up county to help reduce poverty with our resources and expertise). Helped source experts and funding for local farmers to grow certain fruits and identified early stage buyers.
- Licensed English teacher within the company, offering regular English language and interpreting/translation training to interested employees as a part of the company's staff training module
-Also speak intermediate French (B1 proficiency under EU standards)

Post MBA goals
Work as an investment officer in infrastructure at one of the nascent China-sponsored multilateral development banks
Send PM
Expert Reply
Basim2016 wrote:
Dear Linda,

Is there any upper age limit ( 45+)for H/S/W and other M7, considering rest of the profile is above average?
Regards,
Basim

There is no official upper age limit at HBS or the M7. CBS admitted someone last year who was 51. However, while there are to my knowledge no stats publicly available on what percentage of 45+ applicants are admitted, my guess would be that it is below the overall acceptance rate. Older applicants, in addition to having the outstanding qualifications that these programs require, must also make clear that they are not depending on the school's career placement center for a job and and that they have excellent reasons for pursuing the degree a this point in time with people 20 years younger than they are when much learning is from peers.

Have you consider Stanford's MSx program or MIT's or LBS' Sloan Fellows programs? these are full-time programs for more experienced mid-career professionals.

You might be interested in the following:

MIT Sloan Fellow, User Experience Expert, and Busy Mom
MIT Sloan EMBA and Sloan Fellows Programs: Move from Success to Significance
The Stanford MSx Program for Experienced Leaders
Too Old for an MBA? Check Out 3 Outstanding MBA and EMBA Alternatives ( a little old, but still valuable.)

Best,
Linda

Originally posted by Accepted.com on 01 Sep 2019, 12:56.
Last edited by Accepted.com on 06 Sep 2019, 18:06, edited 2 times in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
davidfeng wrote:
Background and nationality: 27 male from China

Undergrad Information:
Top Chinese diplomacy university, Major in English Language and Literature, Minor in International Relations
GPA: appox. 90/100 (my alma mater does not offer 4.0 scale GPA but the equivalent varies from 3.7-3.9 according to different metrics). Awarded national scholarships by Ministry of Education of China.

GMAT: 740 (Q51 V38 IR8 AW 5.5)
TOEFL: 115/120, I know most people on this forum don't need TOEFL scores but just put it as a reference

Work experience:
- (undergraduate) internship abroad at a United Nations regional hub, and Ministry of Finance of China, both working on policy analysis
- Joined one of China's policy financial institutions as client coverage officer since graduation, negotiating sovereign loans to local governments along the Belt and Road Initiative countries. Sectors are mainly focused on infrastructure, power, energy and resources.
1.1.5 years working in Beijing covering ASEAN countries
2.then fast-track promoted to regional manager on Asia and CIS (Russian-speaking countries) and worked for 2 years from Beijing, led a team and closed several deals, one of them was a Deal of the Year Award by a prestigious forum
3. relocated to Africa Office covering Eastern and Southern Africa. expected to have 1.5 years of WE upon matriculation. Lead negotiator for several mega sovereign debt restructuring (over 7bln USD) and interpreted for Company executives' meetings with African heads of states and government ministers.

Others: CFA, China CPA candidate, top employee performance award.
Traveled to over 30 countries in Asia, Europe and Africa, mostly in a professional capacity.
Official passport holder (government representative stationed abroad other than diplomats at the Embassy).

Extracurricular:
In college
- President of Debate and Public Speaking Club, won a few national and international awards
After college
- liaison officer of Chinese government poverty alleviation program to an impoverished county (each policy financier like us has been assigned a pair-up county to help reduce poverty with our resources and expertise). Helped source experts and funding for local farmers to grow certain fruits and identified early stage buyers.
- Licensed English teacher within the company, offering regular English language and interpreting/translation training to interested employees as a part of the company's staff training module
-Also speak intermediate French (B1 proficiency under EU standards)

Post MBA goals
Work as an investment officer in infrastructure at one of the nascent China-sponsored multilateral development banks

Hi David,

Impressive.

You have a competitive profile for HBS and other elite programs. If you'd like help with your MBA applications, please let me know.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos