Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [15]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [5]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.79
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Re: Many workers who handled substance T in factories became seriously ill [#permalink]
Kudos
keepclam24610 wrote:
i also agree E, but i'm confused between C and E

I believe answer C suggests that the manufacturer was fully aware of the implications of the substance T. However, the argument states that the manufacturer has "Earlier ignorance..." which means it is not aware of the consequences.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Re: Many workers who handled substance T in factories became seriously ill [#permalink]
keepclam24610 wrote:
i also agree E, but i'm confused between C and E

There is significant difference between what C and E imply.

(C) Manufacturers have an obligation to inform workers of health risks of which they are aware.

This statement only implies a duty to "inform workers". It does not state that there should be consequences for the manufacturer.

versus:

(E) Manufacturers should be held responsible for the consequences of any of their actions that harm innocent people if those consequences were preventable.

This statement goes the extra mile and correctly states that the manufacturer must face consequences. Unlike C, E does not simply stop at "obligation to inform workers".

The conclusion indicated in E coincides with the implication stated in the orginal question statements.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: Sauder '16
Send PM
Hello Experts,

Why can't the answer be B? In C, i negated because of the word "innocent people".
What if the action of manufacturer isn't harming any innocent people? Then also he should be responsible which is stated in B.

Please explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Lucky1994 wrote:
Hello Experts,

Why can't the answer be B? In C, i negated because of the word "innocent people".
What if the action of manufacturer isn't harming any innocent people? Then also he should be responsible which is stated in B.

Please explain.

I believe the answer lies with the keyword "ONLY" on answer B. GMAT answer choices for these specific, sweeping generalisations are often wrong. Answer choice B states that companies are responsible ONLY for those preventable. What about those not preventable?

Perhaps others can chip in.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Many workers who handled substance T in factories became seriously ill [#permalink]
Kudos
Lucky1994 wrote:
Hello Experts,

Please explain.

Hi

Option (B) states: Manufacturers should be held responsible only for the preventable consequences of their actions.

You are perfectly right that this does, in a way, justify the argument presented in the stimulus. However, it does more than that. The usage of "only" suggests that other cases are excluded from this treatment ie; manufacturers should not be held responsible for non-preventable consequences and should be held responsible for preventable consequences. There is nothing in the stimulus about "preventable" actions, so this part of option (B) is irrelevant to the argument. Since the question asks which option most justifies the conclusion, option (E) is better, though option (B) is not entirely incorrect.

As to the usage of "innocent people" in option (E), the stimulus clearly tells us that employees who handled T fell ill because of it - it is reasonable to categorize these employees as "innocent" as they had nothing to do with the toxicity of T and also they were unaware of it.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by CrackverbalGMAT on 23 Apr 2020, 00:02.
Last edited by CrackverbalGMAT on 23 Apr 2020, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: Sauder '16
Send PM
svasan05 wrote:
Lucky1994 wrote:
Hello Experts,

Please explain.

Hi

Option (B) states: Manufacturers should be held responsible only for the preventable consequences of their actions.

You are perfectly right that this does, in a way, justify the argument presented in the stimulus. However, it does more than that. The usage of "only" suggests that other cases are excluded from this treatment ie; manufacturers should not be held responsible for non-preventable consequences and should be held responsible for preventable consequences. There is nothing in the stimulus about "preventable" actions, so this part of option (B) is irrelevant to the argument. Since the question asks which option most justifies the conclusion, option (E) is better, though option (B) is not entirely incorrect.

Another way of ruling out option (B) is that it talks about consequences of actions whereas the stimulus talks about an inaction ie; not investigating the safety of T.

As to the usage of "innocent people" in option (E), the stimulus clearly tells us that employees who handled T fell ill because of it - it is reasonable to categorize these employees as "innocent" as they had nothing to do with the toxicity of T and also they were unaware of it.

Hope this helps.

Hello Sir,

I second that but just need to understand few points in your explanation:
1. Though option B talks about consequences of actions, so does option E. " Consequences of any of their action.
Then how to reject B.
2. What is the trick to mark the correct option when other option is so subtle to find a mistake.

Thanks
Lakshay
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Lucky1994 wrote:
Hello Sir,

I second that but just need to understand few points in your explanation:
1. Though option B talks about consequences of actions, so does option E. " Consequences of any of their action.
Then how to reject B.
2. What is the trick to mark the correct option when other option is so subtle to find a mistake.

Thanks
Lakshay

Hi Lakshay

I agree on the part about "consequences" - I did not notice that aspect about option (E). I have edited my response accordingly. As mentioned above, I believe there is sufficient reason even without it to rule out option (B).

Always remember that the ask is always to pick the best answer option. Many times on the GMAT, more than one option may be partly correct - you need to analyse and decide which option is more complete and fits the requirement better among those you are considering. The criteria of assessment will obviously vary depending on the question - but always that which addresses the requirement fully and directly is a better option than one that only attacks the requirement peripherally or indirectly.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos