Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618826 [30]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [3]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in [#permalink]
Kudos
Conclusion states that Ann will quit only if Technocomp does not let her take leave of absence.
Hence if Technocomp allows it will take leave of absence. statement D very clearly repeats this assumption.
Hence answer D

(A) Technocomp will find out about Ann being offered the fellowship only if someone informs on her. No where mentioned as a possibility.

(B) The reason Ann wants the fellowship is so she can quit her job at Technocomp. Not at all implied. Rather reverse is mentioned that she will quit only if they find out.

(C) Technocomp does not allow any of its employees to take a leave of absence in order to work for one of its competitors. Competitors are not mentioned

(D) Ann will take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence. Stated clearly

(E) Ann would be offered the fellowship only if she quit her job at Technocomp. Reverse mentioned
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in [#permalink]
Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in a year or else she will quit her job there; but she would not do either one unless she were offered a one-year teaching fellowship at a prestigious university. Technocomp will allow her to take a leave of absence if it does not find out that she has been offered the fellowship, but not otherwise. Therefore, Ann will quit her job at Technocomp only if Technocomp finds out she has been offered the fellowship.

Which one of the following, if assumed, allows the conclusion above to be properly drawn?

(A) Technocomp will find out about Ann being offered the fellowship only if someone informs on her. may be but this is too specific and there may be other ways, but whether technocorp will know or not is not the point.

(B) The reason Ann wants the fellowship is so she can quit her job at Technocomp.
if she wants to quite she will quite why will she take a leave of absence.

(C) Technocomp does not allow any of its employees to take a leave of absence in order to work for one of its competitors. she will not be working for a competitor. atleast we don't know that.

(D) Ann will take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence. Correct assumption because how else will she be able to take a leave of absence.

(E) Ann would be offered the fellowship only if she quit her job at Technocomp no the causal relation does not apply here.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 743 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
This is a great, challenging question! Very "LSAT." ;)

Since it's an Assumption question, I recommend separating out the evidence from the conclusion, and looking for the "concept shift" in the conclusion. That is, what the new information is in the conclusion that the correct assumption will have to "account" for.

Evidence: Ann will take a sabbatical OR quit, but not if she gets a fellowship. But T won't let her take the sabbatical if she gets the fellowship (the jerks!). :)

Conclusion: Ann will quit only if T finds out she has been offered the fellowship.

Concept Shift: To me, this conclusion hinges on this idea of "ONLY" -- why will she ONLY quit if T finds out?

It seems like the author is assuming that Ann wants to take the leave of absence. The correct answer has to have something to do with Ann's desires.

Prediction: Something that explains why will she ONLY quit if T finds out.

(D) is the only one that addresses this specific scope.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in [#permalink]
This I felt was infact an easy one.

Only one option(D) is within the scope.

Deconstructing the argument took considerable time though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
option d mentions that ann will take a leave if allowed. Isn't it already mentioned in the premise?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 743 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Raj30 wrote:
option d mentions that ann will take a leave if allowed. Isn't it already mentioned in the premise?

Produce the answer choice that bests (D). I know, that's not very nice, but you know what I mean. :-D The correct answer just has to be BETTER than the other four.

Look at the question-stem: Which one of the following, if assumed, allows the conclusion above to be properly drawn?

So, we might ask ourselves, which answer choice allow the conclusion to be properly drawn BETTER than (D)?

I think the GMAT is a lot easier when we stop putting the pressure on ourselves to find the "one perfect answer" and start to step back and consider, "okay, I have this group of 5; which one does the GMAT want me to pick?"

I know this is an LSAT question (so to be honest not really on par with the GMAT), but I think you know what I mean. :)

Honestly, even though I'm here commenting on this, I'm not convinced LSAT questions are really worth the average GMAT student's time unless you get to a point in which you are at a 700 and going for a 750.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Ann will either take a leave of absence from Technocomp and return in a year or else she will quit her job there; but she would not do either one unless she were offered a one-year teaching fellowship at a prestigious university. Technocomp will allow her to take a leave of absence if it does not find out that she has been offered the fellowship, but not otherwise. Therefore, Ann will quit her job at Technocomp only if Technocomp finds out she has been offered the fellowship.

Which one of the following, if assumed, allows the conclusion above to be properly drawn?

(A) Technocomp will find out about Ann being offered the fellowship only if someone informs on her.

(B) The reason Ann wants the fellowship is so she can quit her job at Technocomp.

(C) Technocomp does not allow any of its employees to take a leave of absence in order to work for one of its competitors.

(D) Ann will take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence.

(E) Ann would be offered the fellowship only if she quit her job at Technocomp

Guys, i hope you all have solved this one. For ones who didn't manage to or didn't get the explanations, here is the clue:
One is taking a leave of absence, and one is allowing a leave of absence. These are two distinct elements present in thr argument. So this one was is a supporter assumption and the answer deals with linking these elements because nowhere in the stimulus is this link present.

PS раскидал на EZ
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
There is a clause ‘but she would not do either one unless she were offered a one-year teaching fellowship’. I think Ann would not take a leave of absence unless she were offered the fellowship whether Technocomp allows her to take leave or not. Therefore, I couldn’t accept the answer D.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
genjuro86 wrote:
There is a clause ‘but she would not do either one unless she were offered a one-year teaching fellowship’. I think Ann would not take a leave of absence unless she were offered the fellowship whether Technocomp allows her to take leave or not. Therefore, I couldn’t accept the answer D.

Posted from my mobile device

Yes that's true. But why is that an assumption? That is a crystal clear fact. Everything will only happen if she gets that offer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
My Approach on solving this question . Please comment on my analysis of D and E. GMATRockstar VeritasKarishma nightblade354 Bunuel

Quote:

I need to bridge the gap between premises and conclusion.

allow her to take a leave of absence if it does not find out that she has been offered the fellowship, but not otherwise

Premise1:Offered a one-year teaching fellowship

CaseX:
Premise2: leave of absence from Technocomp and return in a year
Premise3: allow her to take a leave of absence if it does not find out that she has been offered the fellowship

CaseY:
Premise2: Quit her job
Premise3: Need to quit job if it does not find out that she has been offered the fellowship

Conclusion1 : quit her job at Technocomp if Technocomp finds out she has been offered the fellowship.
Derived Conclusion: In any other case, She will take leave of absence .
( U happens only if V happens. What if V doesn't happen and there are only 2 possibilities: U and W.
W happens if V doesn't happen. if there are only 2 possibilities of happening : V and V'
W happens if V' happens
U - quit her job; V: Tech finds out she has been offered the fellowship ; W: absence of leave ; V' = if Tech doesn't find out)

A,B and C are easy elimination:
Quote:
(A) Technocomp will find out about Ann being offered the fellowship only if someone informs on her.

What if someone doesn’t inform on her? Tech can still offer the fellowship.
Quote:

What If there is any other reason? How does it matter? What if she wants to accelereate her career? What if she still likes the job?
Quote:
(C) Technocomp does not allow any of its employees to take a leave of absence in order to work for one of its competitors.

irrelevant.

Quote:
(D) Ann will take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence.

Consider caseX: related with absence of leave
Premise3: Ann will take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence--> D option
Derived Conclusion: She will take leave of absence , if Technocomp DOES NOT find out she has been offered the fellowship.

premise 3 fits and add supports to the conclusion.
Negate:Premise3: She will not take a leave of absence even if Tech allows here to take a leave. It breaks the conclusion : she will not take a leave even if Tech doesn't find out.
Hence D is correct answer.

Quote:

Here , I would consider the caseY related with quitting her job.
Premise3:Ann would be offered the fellowship only if she quit her job at Technocomp
Conclusion : quit her job at Technocomp if Technocomp finds out she has been offered the fellowship.

Premise3 doesn't connect with conclusion . Even if Tech finds out or didn't find out , she has already quit her job. So the Premise3 doesn't impact the conclusion.
Hence, E can not be the correct answer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Ann's action -
1. Leave of absence
or
2. Quit job

Necessary condition for Ann's action: Teaching fellowship

Sufficient & necessary condition for Techno to allow leave of absence: Doesn't find out about fellowship.

So this is what we know now:
Case 1: Ann will not get teaching fellowship.
In that case, nothing happens.

Case 2: Ann will get teaching fellowship.
In that case, again two scenarios are possible. Techno may find out about it or it may not.
If Techno finds out, it will not allow a leave of absence.
If Techno doesn't find out, it will allow a leave of absence.

Conclusion: Ann will quit her job at Technocomp only if Technocomp finds out she has been offered the fellowship.
In other words, the conclusion says that Technocomp finding out is necessary for Ann to quit her job.

From the given argument, the conclusion doesn't follow, right? Ann may still quit her job even if Techno doesn't find out and offers her leave of absence. We are not given that she will prefer to take leave if possible and quit only if no leave is given.

But option (D) does tell us this. Now the conclusion follows.

Answer (D)

Hi VeritasKarishma ma'm

If D option were:
(D) Ann MAY take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence.

Quote:
Ann may still quit her job even if Techno doesn't find out and offers her leave of absence. We are not given that she will prefer to take leave if possible and quit only if no leave is given.

This option would still be valid? Am i right?
please confirm

2. Please check my analysis for D and E is correct?

Quote:

Premise3: Ann will take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence--> D option
Derived Conclusion: She will take leave of absence , if Technocomp DOES NOT find out she has been offered the fellowship.

Negate:Premise3: She will not take a leave of absence even if Tech allows here to take a leave. It breaks the conclusion : she will not take a leave even if Tech doesn't find out.

Quote:

Premise3:Ann would be offered the fellowship only if she quit her job at Technocomp
Conclusion : quit her job at Technocomp if Technocomp finds out she has been offered the fellowship.

Premise3 doesn't connect with conclusion . Even if Tech finds out or didn't find out , she has already quit her job. So the Premise3 doesn't impact the conclusion.

Thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Ann's action -
1. Leave of absence
or
2. Quit job

Sufficient & necessary condition for Techno to allow leave of absence: Doesn't find out about fellowship.

In that case, again two scenarios are possible. Techno may find out about it or it may not.

Conclusion: Ann will quit her job at Technocomp only if Technocomp finds out she has been offered the fellowship.
In other words, the conclusion says that Technocomp finding out is necessary for Ann to quit her job.

From the given argument, the conclusion doesn't follow, right? Ann may still quit her job even if Techno doesn't find out and offers her leave of absence. We are not given that she will prefer to take leave if possible and quit only if no leave is given.

Answer (D)

Hi VeritasKarishma ma'm

If D option were:
(D) Ann MAY take a leave of absence if Technocomp allows her to take a leave of absence.

Quote:
Ann may still quit her job even if Techno doesn't find out and offers her leave of absence. We are not given that she will prefer to take leave if possible and quit only if no leave is given.

This option would still be valid? Am i right?
please confirm

2. Please check my analysis for D and E is correct?

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!

No. In (D), if "will" is changed to "may", option (D) becomes useless. May means may or may not. We already know that if the company offers her leave of absence she may or may not take it. We know that she may take leave or she may quit. So then option (D) adds no value.

As for (E), it is irrelevant. What may or may not get her the fellowship, the argument doesn't discuss. Quitting her job would be the effect of getting the fellowship. Quitting her job is not the necessary condition for getting the fellowship. Ignore (E).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Utterly confused when answering the question for the first time, but I think the the "or" in the first statement is a give away.

Ann will EITHER a) take a sabbatical OR b) quit her job WHEN offered a fellowship.
Okay, so Ann has two choices if she's offered a fellowship. Lets keep this in mind.

Now, her employer T will only allow her a sabbatical leave if it does not find out about the fellowship.

Conclusion: Therefore, Ann will quit her job at Technocomp only if Technocomp finds out she has been offered the fellowship.

There is no other way Ann quits. Remember Ann has two choices i.e. to quit or to take sabbatical. Now if T does not find out and offers a sabbatical, the argument is assuming that Ann will accept that sabbatical.

That is exactly what D states.

The key imo in this argument is to see the logical gap between the 2 particular directions of action available to Ann and the answer choice concluding the argument as only 1 available choice. We necessarily have to close the other action point (i.e. Ann will not quit if extended a sabbatical).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 25.56 KiB | Viewed 2051 times ]

Took me whole 15 minutes to understand
Conclusion says " Ann will quit her job at Technocomp only if Technocomp finds out she has been offered the fellowship." But we can see in the diagram that she can quit her job even when company grants her the leave of absence.

KarishmaB AndrewN please confirm if my approach is correct.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
thelastskybender wrote:
Attachment:
Capture.JPG

Took me whole 15 minutes to understand
Conclusion says " Ann will quit her job at Technocomp only if Technocomp finds out she has been offered the fellowship." But we can see in the diagram that she can quit her job even when company grants her the leave of absence.

KarishmaB AndrewN please confirm if my approach is correct.

Yes, and that is why option (D) works. If we are given that if she is offered leave of absence, she will take it (and will not quit) (option (D)), then the conclusion FOLLOWS because the middle arrow in third row is eliminated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
KarishmaB - though I have mostly seen your answers to most LSAT questions but please please do post your explanations to all LSAT CR questions. Yet another great explanation. Thanks a lot.

KarishmaB wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Ann's action -
1. Leave of absence
or
2. Quit job

Answer (D)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sure kittle
Please tag me if you are looking for an explanation to a particular LSAT CR question. I do try to provide an explanation to as many official GMAT and LSAT CR questions as possible. I will do my best.

kittle wrote:
KarishmaB - though I have mostly seen your answers to most LSAT questions but please please do post your explanations to all LSAT CR questions. Yet another great explanation. Thanks a lot.

KarishmaB wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Ann's action -
1. Leave of absence
or
2. Quit job

Answer (D)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts