Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation- master in finance or financial economics [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATIstoohard wrote:
Hi,
I am a 22years old male Chinese international student who currently studies at decent US university ranking around 35 with a business major and CGPA of 3.48/4.0
I took the gmat test and scored 760 with Q50V42 and IR7 with probably a 5 on writing.
I have three internships during my undergraduate years:1. Small Private equity firm, 2months, analyst
2. Financial Service company for individual investors, 2months
3. Government-owned bank back office, 2 months
I don't have much e/c, mainly have joined couple clubs in my undergraduate years, had two volunteers one in the US and one in China.
Something on the side, I know some coding, video editing, and three languages.
My clear weaknesses are lack of E/C and relatively low GPA, so I understand there isn't much of a chance for me to enter the top mba, but I wanted to post to ask anyway.

So programs I applied are:
Princeton Msc Finance
JHU Carey Msc Finance
KCL Finance(Asset pricing)
UCL Finance
ICL Finance
LSE Finance and private equity
HEC MIF
Rejected:Columbia Financial Economics
Oxford Financial Economics

My dream school would be lSE's Mfin p&e program but I am not sure what are my chances are, given my profile matches its requirement except for gpa.
Also if you can, please let me know if there are any other programs that suit me (Finance or finance-like such as risk)?
Thank you for your time and effort!

Hello GMATIstoohard

Obviously GMAT was not that hard for you since you scored excellent 760 :thumbup:

You applied to some very good programs for Finance.

Yeah LSE is great, but so are Princeton, UCL and ICL, for instance.

If you want more excellent quant programs for recommendation, here they are :

University of California, Berkeley
Financial Engineering

Baruch College, City University of New York
Financial Engineering

Carnegie Mellon University
Computational Finance

Columbia University
Financial Engineering

New York University
Mathematics in Finance

Cornell University
MEng, FE concentration

Columbia University
Mathematics of Finance

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Master of Finance

University of California, Los Angeles
Financial Engineering

University of Chicago
Financial Mathematics

Knowing some coding is a plus and your internships are relevant.

Dont worry about lack of extra curricular activities, thats more for MBA than MS in Finance or MSFE.

Good Luck on becoming a quant :geek: :cool:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
billionaire wrote:
GMATIstoohard wrote:
Hi,
I am a 22years old male Chinese international student who currently studies at decent US university ranking around 35 with a business major and CGPA of 3.48/4.0
I took the gmat test and scored 760 with Q50V42 and IR7 with probably a 5 on writing.
I have three internships during my undergraduate years:1. Small Private equity firm, 2months, analyst
2. Financial Service company for individual investors, 2months
3. Government-owned bank back office, 2 months
I don't have much e/c, mainly have joined couple clubs in my undergraduate years, had two volunteers one in the US and one in China.
Something on the side, I know some coding, video editing, and three languages.
My clear weaknesses are lack of E/C and relatively low GPA, so I understand there isn't much of a chance for me to enter the top mba, but I wanted to post to ask anyway.

So programs I applied are:
Princeton Msc Finance
JHU Carey Msc Finance
KCL Finance(Asset pricing)
UCL Finance
ICL Finance
LSE Finance and private equity
HEC MIF
Rejected:Columbia Financial Economics
Oxford Financial Economics

My dream school would be lSE's Mfin p&e program but I am not sure what are my chances are, given my profile matches its requirement except for gpa.
Also if you can, please let me know if there are any other programs that suit me (Finance or finance-like such as risk)?
Thank you for your time and effort!

Hello GMATIstoohard

Obviously GMAT was not that hard for you since you scored excellent 760 :thumbup:

You applied to some very good programs for Finance.

Yeah LSE is great, but so are Princeton, UCL and ICL, for instance.

If you want more excellent quant programs for recommendation, here they are :

University of California, Berkeley
Financial Engineering

Baruch College, City University of New York
Financial Engineering

Carnegie Mellon University
Computational Finance

Columbia University
Financial Engineering

New York University
Mathematics in Finance

Cornell University
MEng, FE concentration

Columbia University
Mathematics of Finance

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Master of Finance

University of California, Los Angeles
Financial Engineering

University of Chicago
Financial Mathematics

Knowing some coding is a plus and your internships are relevant.

Dont worry about lack of extra curricular activities, thats more for MBA than MS in Finance or MSFE.

Good Luck on becoming a quant :geek: :cool:

I thought my lack of quant back ground hindered me from applying to those programs though( since i am not math major nor did i take anything more thant 1 multivariable caculus class)
Or is it those things aren't really the critical factors?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, I applied 3 weeks ago to the MSc Finance at LSE and got an offer this week. Overall, I think you have a strong profile and an impressing GMAT. My “only” concern would be the GPA, but i think you can make out for it.

Personally, to stand out I tried to get strong Letters of recommendations from reputed individuals who personally knowed me well and wrote a good Statement of Purpose. Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
denim96 wrote:
Hi, I applied 3 weeks ago to the MSc Finance at LSE and got an offer this week. Overall, I think you have a strong profile and an impressing GMAT. My “only” concern would be the GPA, but i think you can make out for it.

Personally, to stand out I tried to get strong Letters of recommendations from reputed individuals who personally knowed me well and wrote a good Statement of Purpose. Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you for the info! Fingers crossed
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello everyone,

I'm currently a senior at a mediocre university in the United States. I am graduating with summa cum laude. I have a double major in Accounting and Finance, and a minor in Mathematics. I want to apply for masters in finance at Columbia. I know it's competitive. I just wanted to get some evaluation of my chances for acceptance at Columbia ms financial economics. Here is my profile:

An international student (Nepal) at a US university
Major GPAs: 4
Cumulative GPA: 3.93
GMAT 710 (Q50/V37)
Honors college: graduating with Summa Cum Laude
two research papers (writing in progress)
Fluent in Python, R, Stata, excel
President/founder: Financial Management Association (FMA)
Founder of a community library in my hometown (providing access to more than 10,000 individuals)
Election Commission: Student Government Association
Student Ambassador: college of business and economic development
President: high school student council
Internship: at a top bank in Nepal
No work experience: senior at current college. no internship because I'm an international. You all know how difficult it is to get internships and jobs in trump administration.

I am working hard to get into some competitive master programs. Please help me evaluate my profile and suggest me how I can better improve my chances. Thank you,
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Profile Evaluation- master in finance or financial economics [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey GMATIstoohard,

So firstly your selection is contingent upon 3 main factors,

Overall profile ( academics, work ex, extra-curricular, etc)
GMAT /GRE Score
Application ( How well you are able to present your story through your application)

You have a pretty strong profile. Though your work experience is not enough for an MBA admission it is more than sufficient for Masters in finance program. Your work experience in Financial Services is undoubtedly an add on to your profile and enhance your profile more as it shows that you are quite clear with your career goals and school admission cell will definitely appreciate it.

As for the GMAT, a score of 760 is pretty strong. In case if you feel your profile is weak because of your low GPA then the GMAT score can help bolster it to a level and you don’t need to worry about it much.

Your essay will play a major role in your application, so highlight your profile strengths the best way you can make sure that you spend enough time perfecting them.

As for your targeted school, LSE requires a well-built all-rounder profile. Each profile is different in its own way and can bring something new, interesting and positive to the school. This is especially important for such programs as they derive much of their value from diverse exposure.

As for your profile you have overall you have a good profile and as you mentioned you come from one of the Top 40 US Business schools, so that will add on to your application.

Schools such as LSE, HEC, Princeton are quite competitive and you will need to ace every part of the application (essays, GMAT, LOR, resume) to get noticed.

Further, I would suggest you take this profile evaluation to get a better idea about your chances at your target schools: https://mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?gcf

Hope this Help
GMAT Club Bot
Profile Evaluation- master in finance or financial economics [#permalink]
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts