Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 1962
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Re: There is no complete life of Alexandre Dumas. The age has not produced [#permalink]
although i was able to answers all the questions correctly through POE but i am not satisfied by OA esp for question 1,

if possible kindly share OE of all the questions.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32890 [1]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: There is no complete life of Alexandre Dumas. The age has not produced [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

1. The main point of the passage is to

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

A: This is antithetical; the author is all praise for Dumas

B: Correct Choice: This is the intention of the author

C: It is to prove the utility rather than the futility

D: This is the opposite of what happened

A. This may be a part –intension, but not the main purpose

Answer: B

shubham2312 wrote:
although i was able to answers all the questions correctly through POE but i am not satisfied by OA esp for question 1,

if possible kindly share OE of all the questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 477
Send PM
SajjadAhmad
From where can we see the official explanation for all questions of a RC?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32890 [1]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GDT wrote:
SajjadAhmad
From where can we see the official explanation for all questions of a RC?

Your question is probably incomplete, generally official explanations are available within the official sources.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Which of the following statements would the author of the passage not agree with except?

I assume the question means we have to find a statement that the author eithor agree or not mentioned(not agree with except).

this could lead us to B & D, though I don't think the author would agree that "Dumas could animate and enliven ANY theme from small spurts of overviews." The passage certainly didn't say ANY THEME, hence we cannot go with D for sure.

Is this question legit?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: Sauder '16
Send PM
Hello Experts,

Can you please explain me question 4 and how to reach out to answer of this question?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
There is no complete life of Alexandre Dumas. The age has not produced [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Lucky1994 wrote:
Hello Experts,

Can you please explain me question 4 and how to reach out to answer of this question?

Hello, Lucky1994. I read the passage cold and answered this question correctly in a little over 2 minutes. Let us take a closer look:

daagh wrote:
4. Which of the following expressions does the author of the text not allude to regarding the biography of Dumas written by an English author?

This is a form of an EXCEPT question, so you can take comfort in the fact that there are four justifiable answers from the passage. You just have to find the odd one out, specifically the answer that does not follow from the text.

daagh wrote:
A. His style

Analysis: I will admit to pausing on this one for a moment. We have to interpret the pronoun here as referring to the English author, rather than the author of the text. The line from the middle of the first paragraph speaks to this exact point: Style, grammar, taste, feeling, are all bad. The author of the passage is commenting on the English author's biography of Dumas. Since style is mentioned explicitly, the author of the text does allude to this expression, as the question puts it. Red light.

daagh wrote:
B. The English author’s focus in his presentation

Analysis: Following the line that I just quoted in the previous analysis, we get more of a railing against the English author's biography:

The author does not so much write a life as draw up an indictment. The spirit of his work is grudging, sneering, contemptuous, and pitifully peddling. The great charge is that Dumas was a humbug, that he was not the author of his own books, that his books were written by "collaborators"--above all, by M. Maquet

No, we do not get the word focus laid out for us, but we understand that the English author wrote a disparaging work on Dumas. If one line will not do for you from the above excerpt, then another ought to do just fine (draw up an indictment... spirit of his work... great charge). Thus, this is NOT what we are looking for. Red light.

daagh wrote:
C. The English author’s glorification of Dumas

Analysis: This is a reversal of what we would expect. As mentioned in the previous analysis, the English author clearly did not think highly of Dumas, according to the author of the passage. Since there is no such glorification of Dumas by the English author, this answer delivers on the EXCEPT framework of the question. Green light.

daagh wrote:
D. The English author’s envy and derision for Dumas

Analysis: Even if you are not necessarily on board with envy here, the second part, derision, is undeniable. If the upper-level vocabulary is throwing you for a loop, then you could mark this as a yellow-light response, but this choice is not as strong as (C), given that the English author clearly did not like Dumas, to put it mildly. If there is firm grounding in the text for even a part of the answer, then that puts the answer on thin ice. Red light.

daagh wrote:
E. The observations of the author of the text about the English biography of Dumas

Analysis: If you read the first paragraph, then this answer choice sums it up perfectly. The author of the passage offers statements or observations about the English biography of Dumas. It should be hard to blunder into this answer if you understood the content of the first paragraph. Red light.

I hope that helps. This is not the easiest passage, but if you work to understand the question first, what it is driving at, then the task becomes a lot simpler. Good luck to you in your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Is this even a GMAT 'style' passage? The answer choices are very subtly and vaguely worded?!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts