Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [35]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 304 [5]
Given Kudos: 349
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 530 Q42 V22
GMAT 3: 570 Q36 V31
GPA: 3.14
WE:Account Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [4]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Re: The Seventh Symphony (1812) was, at the time, Beethoven’s last and [#permalink]
Kudos
neha283 wrote:
Can someone post solutions for question 2 and 3?
TIA.

Just found out that this question had been posted some years back; contains explanations too. Check here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-seventh- ... l#p1512269
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 706 [2]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: The Seventh Symphony (1812) was, at the time, Beethoven’s last and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi everyone,
very wordy passage with tough answer choices.

P1: 8th symphony and some context about Beethoven'works
P2: explanation of 8th symphony's brevity

MP: discuss reasons about 8th symphony's brevity

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) The author implies which of the following is a characteristic of "classicism"?

Pre-thinking
Refer to this portion of the passage: " What interests Beethoven is not so much brevity for its own sake — and certainly not something called “classicism” — as concentration." The only inference we can make here is classicism=short

nostalgia
Nostalgia belongs to the previous sentence and it is completely unrelated. Hence incorrect

lack of focus
We are not given any information to state this. hence incorrect

compromising

dense saturation
This is out of context and quite opposite since it is used in the following sentence to describe the aim of the 8th symphony. Hence incorrect

works on a smaller scale
The only possible remaining choice. Hence correct

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Which of the following does the author imply about Beethoven's Eighth Symphony?

Pre-thinking
We can infer that the 8th symphony represents something new, something that the author had left when he was composing the 5th symphony.
Plus refer to this portion of the passage:

"It is almost as though he wanted to call his entire development throughout that decade into question.

(The following part of the passage talks about the period i which Beethoven composed the 8th symphony)

Indeed, over the remaining years of his life he would confidently explore in opposite directions, writing bigger pieces than before (Focus on this part) and ones more compressed, his most rhetorical music and his most inward, his most public and his most esoteric, compositions that plumb the inexhaustible possibilities of the sonata style and those that propose utterly new ways of organizing material, music reaching extremes of the centered and the bizarre."

So we can infer that he wrote the 8th symphony in a very intense, productive moment of his life. Plus pay attention to the wording and to the usage of most. This means that we have a comparison here.

Hence we can infer that the period during which Beethoven composed the 8th symphony was more intense, more esoteric, more inward.... THAN his previous periods.

It is compromising, and not vibrant like a piece typical of classicism
I would say opposite. not compromising and very vibrant actually. Hence incorrect

In it, for the first time, Beethoven explored concentration as an organizing principle for an entire symphony
Refer to ones more compressed in the pre-thinking section. Hence correct

It was more inwardly focused, less rhetorical than the F-minor String Quartet, Op. 95
Actually if you look at the last sentences of the last paragraph the author refers to the 8th symphony as the open cousin of the F-minor String Quartet, Op. 95. Hence opposite and incorrect

It rejected the sonata style used in the Seventh Symphony, exploring completely new ways to organize music.
We are given that he experimented with it. refer to pre-thinking.

Hence this choice is incorrect

Compared to his other symphonies, it is a particularly esoteric public work, having both friendly and violent tendencies.
This is a very good choice but I think it is inconsistent because of the adjective friendly.
The adjective friendly is used in the last paragraph :

"by comparison, the Eighth Symphony is Opus 95’s friendly, open-featured cousin, even though its first and last movements bring us some of the most violent moments in Beethoven."

The purpose of this adjective is to state a similarity between two of Beethoven works: Opus 95 and the 8th symphony.
Hence to state tat 8th symphony is friendly on a general basis is wrong.

Hence this option choice is incorrect

3)The passage provides support for which of the following?

Pre-thinking
We need to analyze each choice since we cannot pre-think

Beethoven's Eighth Symphony would not be appreciated by connoisseurs.
The word connoisseur is used here :

"But a symphony is not a “private” connoisseur’s music like a string quartet;"

The purpose is to state what the symphony is not. But from this information we cannot infer that this category of people will not like the symphony. Hence incorrect

The Fifth Symphony is the shortest symphony between the First and the Eighth.
At the beginning of the passage it is said that the 8th symphony is the shortest since the first. Plus this choice is a little vague since we are not given whether we should include the first and the eighth in our analysis. But, even if so, we don't have any information to infer this statement from the passage. Hence incorrect

In 1795, Beethoven composed works that contained less development than the majority of pieces over the next 15 years.
I think the answer lies in these lines: " To say it is 1795 revisited from the vantage point of 1812 is not right either. "
We can see thanks to the usage of the word vantage point that Beethoven acquired more experience and got better, otherwise he would not have such advantage point.
Hence correct

The F-minor String Quartet, Op. 95 is one of Beethoven's most esoteric works.
It is hard to infer this from the passage. Plus we are given that Beethoven did the most esoteric compositions during the period of the 8th symphony while the F minor String Quartet is from 2 years earlier, the period that he calls into question. Hence incorrect

Later in life, Beethoven developed significant misgivings about the big development characteristic of Symphonies of his middle period.
We are given information about Beethoven picking up from where he left (the 5th symphony) but no information makes us believe that he had misgivings.
Hence incorrect

neha283, Businessconquerer, gmat1393 , sm86, hongg7 , Sreyoshi007, workout I hope I answered your questions

It is a good day to be alive, cheers!

Originally posted by auradediligodo on 24 Aug 2019, 02:44.
Last edited by auradediligodo on 26 Aug 2019, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
auradediligodo wrote:
Hi everyone,
very wordy passage with tough answer choices.

P1: 8th symphony and some context about Beethoven'works
P2: explanation of 8th symphony's brevity

MP: discuss reasons about 8th symphony's brevity

1) The author implies which of the following is a characteristic of "classicism"?

Pre-thinking
Refer to this portion of the passage: " What interests Beethoven is not so much brevity for its own sake — and certainly not something called “classicism” — as concentration." The only inference we can make here is classicism=short

nostalgia
Nostalgia belongs to the previous sentence and it is completely unrelated. Hence incorrect

lack of focus

compromising

dense saturation
This is out of context and quite opposite since it is used in the following sentence to describe the aim of the 8th symphony. Hence incorrect

works on a smaller scale
The only possible remaining choice. Hence correct

2) Which of the following does the author imply about Beethoven's Eighth Symphony?

Pre-thinking
We can infer that the 8th symphony represents something new, something that the author had left when he was composing the 5th symphony.
Plus refer to this portion of the passage:

"It is almost as though he wanted to call his entire development throughout that decade into question.

(The following part of the passage talks about the period i which Beethoven composed the 8th symphony)

Indeed, over the remaining years of his life he would confidently explore in opposite directions, writing bigger pieces than before (Focus on this part) and ones more compressed, his most rhetorical music and his most inward, his most public and his most esoteric, compositions that plumb the inexhaustible possibilities of the sonata style and those that propose utterly new ways of organizing material, music reaching extremes of the centered and the bizarre."

So we can infer that he wrote the 8th symphony in a very intense, productive moment of his life. Plus pay attention to the wording and to the usage of most. This means that we have a comparison here.

Hence we can infer that the period during which Beethoven composed the 8th symphony was more intense, more esoteric, more inward.... THAN his previous periods.

It is compromising, and not vibrant like a piece typical of classicism
I would say opposite. not compromising and very vibrant actually. Hence incorrect

In it, for the first time, Beethoven explored concentration as an organizing principle for an entire symphony
Refer to ones more compressed in the pre-thinking section. Hence correct

It was more inwardly focused, less rhetorical than the F-minor String Quartet, Op. 95
Actually if you look at the last sentences of the last paragraph the author refers to the 8th symphony as the open cousin of the F-minor String Quartet, Op. 95. Hence opposite and incorrect

It rejected the sonata style used in the Seventh Symphony, exploring completely new ways to organize music.
We are given that he experimented with it. refer to pre-thinking.

Hence this choice is incorrect

Compared to his other symphonies, it is a particularly esoteric public work, having both friendly and violent tendencies.
This is a very good choice but I think it is inconsistent because of the adjective friendly.
The adjective friendly is used in the last paragraph :

"by comparison, the Eighth Symphony is Opus 95’s friendly, open-featured cousin, even though its first and last movements bring us some of the most violent moments in Beethoven."

The purpose of this adjective is to state a similarity between two of Beethoven works: Opus 95 and the 8th symphony.
Hence to state tat 8th symphony is friendly on a general basis is wrong.

Hence this option choice is incorrect

3)The passage provides support for which of the following?

Pre-thinking
We need to analyze each choice since we cannot pre-think

Beethoven's Eighth Symphony would not be appreciated by connoisseurs.
The word connoisseur is used here :

"But a symphony is not a “private” connoisseur’s music like a string quartet;"

The purpose is to state what the symphony is not. But from this information we cannot infer that this category of people will not like the symphony. Hence incorrect

The Fifth Symphony is the shortest symphony between the First and the Eighth.
At the beginning of the passage it is said that the 8th symphony is the shortest since the first. Plus this choice is a little vague since we are not given whether we should include the first and the eighth in our analysis. But, even if so, we don't have any information to infer this statement from the passage. Hence incorrect

In 1795, Beethoven composed works that contained less development than the majority of pieces over the next 15 years.
I think the answer lies in these lines: " To say it is 1795 revisited from the vantage point of 1812 is not right either. "
We can see thanks to the usage of the word vantage point that Beethoven acquired more experience and got better, otherwise he would not have such advantage point.
Hence correct

The F-minor String Quartet, Op. 95 is one of Beethoven's most esoteric works.
It is hard to infer this from the passage. Plus we are given that Beethoven did the most esoteric compositions during the period of the 8th symphony while the F minor String Quartet is from 2 years earlier, the period that he calls into question. Hence incorrect

Later in life, Beethoven developed significant misgivings about the big development characteristic of Symphonies of his middle period.
We are given information about Beethoven picking up from where he left (the 5th symphony) but no information makes us believe that he had misgivings.
Hence incorrect

neha283, Businessconquerer, gmat1393 , sm86, hongg7 , Sreyoshi007 I hope I answered your questions

It is a good day to be alive, cheers!

I'm done with the GMAT
Thank you for posting though

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The Seventh Symphony (1812) was, at the time, Beethovens last and [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Seventh Symphony (1812) was, at the time, Beethovens last and [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts