Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Clausesx   Modifiersx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [312]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31898 [98]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [83]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [33]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles Count [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles County, if one were to count the Los Angeles metropolitan area as a separate nation, it would have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that is bigger than that of Australia, Mexico, or the Netherlands.

Issue: Structure | Meaning

Analysis:
1. The sentence talks about a hypothetical situation in which Los Angeles metropolitan area is a nation, though it is actually not.
- The correct form for such cases is: if + subject + simple past tense + could/would/might + verb in simple form
- So the form of this sentence should be: if X were Y, it would ....

I have highlighted the issues in options below:

A. if one were to count the Los Angeles metropolitan area as a separate nation, it would have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that is
- ", that.." that is incorrectly used for non-essential modifier here

B. if the Los Angeles metropolitan area is counted as a separate nation, it has the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that being
- ", that.." that is incorrectly used for non-essential modifier here

C. if the Los Angeles metropolitan area were a separate nation, it would have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product,

D. were the Los Angeles metropolitan area a separate nation, it will have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, which is

E. when the Los Angeles metropolitan area is counted as a separate nation, it has the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, thus

Answer: C
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
Re: According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles Count [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
chetan2u wrote:
ted123 wrote:
According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles County, if the Los Angeles metropolitan area were a separate nation, it would have the world's eleventh largest gross national product, bigger than that of Australia, Mexico, or the Netherlands.

The underlined portion is the correct answer to Qn 30 of GMAT Verbal 2016.

My doubt is if 'Los Angeles metropolitan area' uses the verb 'were', that means it is regarded as plural right ? So usage of it in 'it would have the...' will make it a wrong option right ?

Guys, can anyone help me out here ? Am I missing anything ?

Hi,
it is correct the way it is..
reason:-
'if' is used in hypothetical situations and the 'if clause' in these situations takes plural verb irrespective of the singular subject..
for example..
if I were the prime minister, i would do ....
if country x were a super power, it would have flexed its muscles more than present super powers..
hope it helps

three formats of conditional sentences..

1) If + present simple , future simple
Example: If you work hard, you will pass with good marks.

2) If + past simple , conditional simple (would + infinitive)
Example: as in the cases mentioned above

3) If + past perfect, past conditional
Example: If ravi had learnt his lessons, he wouldn't have failed his exam

"Would Have" in "then clause" , requires past perfect in "If clause".

option C . has "would have" in then clause but no past perfect in if clause.

i am confused.

pls help
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinja generis

Can you please help me to understand usage of two THATs and comparison in A/ E?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [13]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinja generis

Can you please help me to understand usage of two THATs and comparison in A/ E?

You need to use subjunctive here - Considering Los Angeles metropolitan area a separate nation is hypothetical. It is not a separate nation. Hypothetical situations use subjunctive case. It uses the second conditional discussed here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2015/1 ... nals-gmat/

In (A), "that" is used incorrectly. The first "that" acts as a relative pronoun which is restrictive so it shouldn't be after a comma. Though what follows that is not a restrictive modifier since it only adds to already well defined "eleventh largest GNP". Hence the use of that is incorrect.
The second that acts as a pronoun for "gross national product".

Here is a post on the uses of "that": https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2017/0 ... t-on-gmat/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Dear mikemcgarry sir,

I read all posts above and understand why option D is wrong.
But please confirm my understanding .
If is subordinating conjunction, which is missing in option D.
Thus two Independent clause can't be joined by just COMMA.
Hence option D is comma splice.

Thanks Prashant
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pg789 wrote:
Dear mikemcgarry sir,

I read all posts above and understand why option D is wrong.
But please confirm my understanding .
If is subordinating conjunction, which is missing in option D.
Thus two Independent clause can't be joined by just COMMA.
Hence option D is comma splice.

Thanks Prashant

The test for a comma splice is whether the components on either side of the comma can stand on their own as complete sentences.

In (D) we have "were the Los Angeles metropolitan area a separate nation, it will have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product." That first part, "were the Los Angeles metropolitan area a separate nation," isn't an independent clause. Rather, "were" is awkwardly acting as a subordinator -- basically, it functions similarly to the word "if", and makes the clause dependent.

It's better to use concrete grammatical/logical problems to eliminate (D). Others have noted that the second clause should use "would have" rather than "will have." Also, the clause following "the world's eleventh largest gross national product," begins with "which is" suggesting that this hypothetical is actually a fact. That's illogical, so (D) is out.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
"it" in choice A is also wrong because it can refer to separate nation or Los angeles.
it is ambiguous
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
thangvietnam, there's no pronoun ambiguity. All five choices use "it," but in the hypothetical situation described, L.A. and the autonomous nation are the same thing! It's like saying "If my car were a dog, it would wag its tail when it saw me." Does "it" mean car or dog? Who cares? They're both the same here. (And I want that car!)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
if country x were a super power, it would have flexed its muscles more than present super powers.

Would you explain me use of "were" in if clause and "would have VerbIII" in main clause?
What I understood till now that use of would have verbIII comes together with past perfect tense in if clause.

chetan2u wrote:
ted123 wrote:
According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles County, if the Los Angeles metropolitan area were a separate nation, it would have the world's eleventh largest gross national product, bigger than that of Australia, Mexico, or the Netherlands.

The underlined portion is the correct answer to Qn 30 of GMAT Verbal 2016.

My doubt is if 'Los Angeles metropolitan area' uses the verb 'were', that means it is regarded as plural right ? So usage of it in 'it would have the...' will make it a wrong option right ?

Guys, can anyone help me out here ? Am I missing anything ?

Hi,
it is correct the way it is..
reason:-
'if' is used in hypothetical situations and the 'if clause' in these situations takes plural verb irrespective of the singular subject..
for example..
if I were the prime minister, i would do ....
if country x were a super power, it would have flexed its muscles more than present super powers..
hope it helps

three formats of conditional sentences..

1) If + present simple , future simple
Example: If you work hard, you will pass with good marks.

2) If + past simple , conditional simple (would + infinitive)
Example: as in the cases mentioned above

3) If + past perfect, past conditional
Example: If ravi had learnt his lessons, he wouldn't have failed his exam
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos