Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [12]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.87
WE:Web Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: The principal facts about the exploits of the English and French bucca [#permalink]
Kudos
KS15 wrote:
In Qs 2,
How can E be inferred. To me only A looks to be the best of the lot. The author clearly says that rewriting would be a waste of time.
GMATNinja
VeritasPrepKarishma
GMATNinja2

--------
KS15
Well! Q2 is a tough one, can be best solved be negating other statements. And do note, author says each can be inferred except Let's go one by one.

A) The author aims to write another history of buccaneers and privateers which could be
different from popular beliefs --- author indirectly says that the content of information around pirates have been present here and there but they have been neglected. He wants to bridge this gap and write another history different from popular belief. --- can be inferred

B)Dampier and Wafer provide a limited amount of information about privateers --- and perhaps a few narratives like those of
Dampier and Wafer.
--- can be inferred.

C)Historians have overlooked to study the trustworthiness of the old tales by comparing them
with other sources - All, however, are alike in confining themselves for their information to what may almost be
called the traditional sources
- -- can be inferred from here that traditional and other sources had somethings in common but traditional were ignored even though they have been reprinted many times ---- can be infered

D)The popular old and new narratives about pirates share similar theme and content --- can be inferred. ^see above explanation.

E)West Indies was the hub of privateers in the seventeenth century . ---- though west indies is mentioned in first paragraph but it can't be inferred that WI was the hub for pirates. Correct choice
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Send PM
Re: The principal facts about the exploits of the English and French bucca [#permalink]
visheshsahni wrote:
KS15 wrote:
In Qs 2,
How can E be inferred. To me only A looks to be the best of the lot. The author clearly says that rewriting would be a waste of time.
GMATNinja
VeritasPrepKarishma
GMATNinja2

--------
KS15
Well! Q2 is a tough one, can be best solved be negating other statements. And do note, author says each can be inferred except Let's go one by one.

A) The author aims to write another history of buccaneers and privateers which could be
different from popular beliefs --- author indirectly says that the content of information around pirates have been present here and there but they have been neglected. He wants to bridge this gap and write another history different from popular belief. --- can be inferred

B)Dampier and Wafer provide a limited amount of information about privateers --- and perhaps a few narratives like those of
Dampier and Wafer.
--- can be inferred.

C)Historians have overlooked to study the trustworthiness of the old tales by comparing them
with other sources - All, however, are alike in confining themselves for their information to what may almost be
- -- can be inferred from here that traditional and other sources had somethings in common but traditional were ignored even though they have been reprinted many times ---- can be infered

D)The popular old and new narratives about pirates share similar theme and content --- can be inferred. ^see above explanation.

E)West Indies was the hub of privateers in the seventeenth century . ---- though west indies is mentioned in first paragraph but it can't be inferred that WI was the hub for pirates. Correct choice

How did you infer A? Can you please explain? Nowhere can we infer that the author is aiming to write another history.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [2]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
2/3 right as i wasnt able to answer question 1 right
as per question, which of the following can be inferred?
I dont know how A is right as misrepresented is too extreme word
I believe it should be E as it is written in passage "To write another history of these privateers or pirates, for they have, unfortunately, more than once
deserved that name, may seem a rather fruitless undertaking."
Can anyone help me with this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
GMATNinja
@VeritasPrepKarishma
GMATNinja2
KS15
visheshsahni

I am trying to improve RC section and i have shared my approach and understanding of the passage, I would like you to go through it and please let me know if my understanding was correct and your feedback on my approach .

Mapping

PF sufficiently known MR
FJ mode of life
Exque freebooters reprinted n times
Press issued surprises facts - doubting history
Their sources are limited - Exque FJ DW

Write another history - fruitless understanding.
Numerous doc. Related to this subject and doc. Are till now completely neglected
No writer/editor has attempted to check its connection or reliability

Objective or research - narrative about exploits of sea rover and to trace policy pushed towards them by Eng and French Government.

PF - Principal Facts
FJ - French Jesuit
Exque - Exquemelin
N times - reprinted many number of times
Doc - documents
DW - Dampier and Wafer

Summary
The main fact about the English and French Pirates are well known French Jesuit has shared details about pirates mode of life and history. Based on new and old facts, new issues have been published by the press, some of the stated facts have doubted serious history while others facts were towards romances. The new and old were similar in some way as thier source of information was limited to Exquemelin, the Jesuits and Dampier and Wafer.
As per the author, to write another history was a unproductive task because of the fact that there are numerous document about the pirates , many of such documents are neglected. No writer/auditor had mad an attempt to verify them or to establish any connection between the facts.

Last, The author states the objective of the resarch was not only to narate about the pirate but also to trace the policy towards them by English and French Governments.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
jaisrajat wrote:
GMATNinja
@VeritasPrepKarishma
GMATNinja2
KS15
visheshsahni

I am trying to improve RC section and i have shared my approach and understanding of the passage, I would like you to go through it and please let me know if my understanding was correct and your feedback on my approach .

Mapping

PF sufficiently known MR
FJ mode of life
Exque freebooters reprinted n times
Press issued surprises facts - doubting history
Their sources are limited - Exque FJ DW

Write another history - fruitless understanding.
Numerous doc. Related to this subject and doc. Are till now completely neglected
No writer/editor has attempted to check its connection or reliability

Objective or research - narrative about exploits of sea rover and to trace policy pushed towards them by Eng and French Government.

PF - Principal Facts
FJ - French Jesuit
Exque - Exquemelin
N times - reprinted many number of times
Doc - documents
DW - Dampier and Wafer

Summary
The main fact about the English and French Pirates are well known French Jesuit has shared details about pirates mode of life and history. Based on new and old facts, new issues have been published by the press, some of the stated facts have doubted serious history while others facts were towards romances. The new and old were similar in some way as thier source of information was limited to Exquemelin, the Jesuits and Dampier and Wafer.
As per the author, to write another history was a unproductive task because of the fact that there are numerous document about the pirates , many of such documents are neglected. No writer/auditor had mad an attempt to verify them or to establish any connection between the facts.

Last, The author states the objective of the research was not only to narate about the pirate but also to trace the policy towards them by English and French Governments.

Hey Buddy-Thanks for reaching out. I like how you have summarized the content of the RC but here is the advice that I would give you.

1. In the exam, when you are in front of the screen, you certainly won't have so much time to write everything you have written here, so I would recommend cutting down as much as possible and keep it to the minimum. In fact , I would say that don't write anything unless you have problems with retention. I know passages are very boring and dry but if you want to write anything, keep it as short as possible so you can just about understand.
2. In RC, they key is to understand the passage. What is the author trying to say? What is the tone? What is the conclusion? Do we have several viewpoints? How do we skim data to get to the main point?
3. Do not time your RC passages when you are just in the initial stages. You do not get points for speed, you get points for getting the questions right.
4. RC can make or break your exam. This was not the case earlier where SC and CR had more weight but this has changed in the last 2 years.
5. The most important one-practice only from official sources-they will get you closest to the score you want.

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
visheshsahni wrote:
KS15 wrote:
In Qs 2,
GMATNinja
VeritasPrepKarishma
GMATNinja2

--------
KS15

Dampier and Wafer.
--- can be inferred.

Not sure of Q2. end of para one and midof para two are representing contradictory information.. please guide..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Took 7:30 min in total including 3:25 to read the passage!

Passage Map:

1) History about English and French buccaneers, Old vs New History
2) Writing another history may not be useful. Object of author's research
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
sananoor wrote:
I believe it should be E as it is written in passage "To write another history of these privateers or pirates, for they have, unfortunately, more than once

I got the same question too!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
OhsostudiousMJ wrote:
sananoor wrote:

I got the same question too!

Option A: The Buccaneers of the seventeenth century may have been misrepresented through the ages

The presence of "may have been" in the sentence makes the option A correct, for it leaves the possibility for other outcomes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
OE:

Passage Map
P 1 – To state that even though new articles keep coming out about the
activities of these pirates, the source of most of these articles is the
same, so in essence the information that the reader is receiving is
from a very limited perspective
P 2 – To explain why the life of the pirates needs to be looked at from a
different point of view as well
P 3 – To explain the objective of his research

1. Answer: A
Explanation:
The basic argument of the author is that the buccaneers/pirates have
only been presented in a very limited manner through books and
press. (A) follows the best from this and is the correct answer.
(B) These sources have been called the ‘traditional sources’—
however, there were other narratives also available.
(C) The author mentions the overlooking of the historical
connection between the two and not it being ‘rewritten’.
(D) The author has only called for looking into the policies being
followed by the two governments—their stand is not
mentioned.
(E) The author is merely pondering on the efficacy of such a notion
—he is not agreeing with it.
2. Answer: E
Explanation:
Para 1 line 1 mentions the presence of buccaneers in the West Indies
region; however, nowhere is it mentioned that West Indies was the
hub of privateers. Hence, (E) is the correct answer.
(A) The author clearly implies this in the last para.
(B) This can be inferred from the information towards the end of
para 1.
(C) This is clearly mentioned in para 2.
(D) The author states in para 1 that, based on the old narratives,
new accounts are issued and both of these are alike in that they
confine themselves to very limited sources of information.
3. Answer: C
Explanation:
The author has stressed his concern about historians/authors ignoring
a large amount of information about buccaneers and basing their
writings/accounts only on very limited sources of information. He
clearly supports writing an alternative account of the lives of the
buccaneers using these hitherto ignored sources of information. (C)
states this best and is the correct answer.
(A) This has been cited more as an example to prove the author’s
main point.
(B) The author names them as ‘traditional sources’ of information
which he considers ‘limited’ in scope.
(D) The author never praises the press anywhere in the passage.
(E) The Jesuits are again cited just as examples.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
All correct in 4 and a half minutes.

Let me know if I can help with any of the three questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
4 mins all correct, more like a 600-700 level passage.

Happy to help if required!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts